Wells

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Re: Wells

Post by TheAKAggie » September 29th, 2017, 10:46 pm

I came her to mockingly make a lot of the points a bunch of you made, but you were serious. What a bunch of bung holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 29th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Holy Night! I can't believe you losers are piling on top of a coach that has now beaten BYU twice as many times in the same number of tries as Saint Gary. Mind you, I am usually one of Wells' larger critics.

However, tonight was special. If Wells gets blamed for the losses, he should certainly get credit for wins! Yes it helps to have BYU down to their third-string QB, but they could have beaten us with their janitorial staff last year. I am feeling optimistic and I think that Wells has done a very difficult thing by getting a bunch of guys to buy back in after a horrendous season.

If we play like this the rest of the year, I think we are bowling. Our destiny as a program is to develop a blue collar identity, compete for MW championships every three or four years, and hopefully battle for bowl eligibility every year. It is okay to feel a little optimism after this game and allow yourself to buy back in. Wells' initial success was very closely tied to what Gary had built up, and I was confident that he wouldn't be able to create his own success. I am glad now to think that I may be proven wrong.

GO AGGIES!!!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 29th, 2017, 10:59 pm

I’m going to enjoy a win. I’m not for or against a coach. I am an Aggie fan plain and simple.

noods
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by noods » September 29th, 2017, 11:12 pm

noods wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:Don't even care what the score is, how does he not use one of our 2 timeouts after 1st down there?

Players bailing him out
I was yelling at the screen. Call a timeout!!
To be clear, I am only speaking of that moment. Great enjoyable win. Thank you Wells and players for a fun evening.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 29th, 2017, 11:13 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:Holy Night! I can't believe you losers are piling on top of a coach that has now beaten BYU twice as many times in the same number of tries as Saint Gary. Mind you, I am usually one of Wells' larger critics.

However, tonight was special. If Wells gets blamed for the losses, he should certainly get credit for wins! Yes it helps to have BYU down to their third-string QB, but they could have beaten us with their janitorial staff last year. I am feeling optimistic and I think that Wells has done a very difficult thing by getting a bunch of guys to buy back in after a horrendous season.

If we play like this the rest of the year, I think we are bowling. Our destiny as a program is to develop a blue collar identity, compete for MW championships every three or four years, and hopefully battle for bowl eligibility every year. It is okay to feel a little optimism after this game and allow yourself to buy back in. Wells' initial success was very closely tied to what Gary had built up, and I was confident that he wouldn't be able to create his own success. I am glad now to think that I may be proven wrong.

GO AGGIES!!!
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I also am one who has cheered hard for coach Wells to succeed. He's a true Aggie and bleeds blue. He runs a clean program and represents our university well. He seems to care about his players and holds them accountable for their actions. He's had to rebuild his staff on almost a yearly basis and still been able to compete most years. Sure he has some short comings but most coaches do. Gary has his flaws. Matt's teams have brought us some great memories and tonight was one of them. I hope he can lead us to many more.

Go Ags!

N8boz

Post by N8boz » September 29th, 2017, 11:26 pm

BYU is that bad. Matt Wells was lucky to get them with no quarterback play. Matt Wells is still at best a below average d1 coach.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » September 29th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Matt Wells end of half/game management and situational awareness ss on the point chart is amateurish. Great defense though. Great win nevertheless

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 29th, 2017, 11:35 pm

I've never heard so much (I can't express myself without swearing) about a win over BYU. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » September 29th, 2017, 11:38 pm

treesap32 wrote:I've never heard so much (I can't express myself without swearing) about a win over BYU. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
This... Completely!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 29th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Good win. He has brought us two of these now. I’m happy for any win. On to conference play where we really see how well we can compete.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » September 29th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Wells as a coach has been a part of 3 victories over BYU two as a head coach including one in Provo. Fact is that is pretty impressive as I cannot remember another coach in my life time doing that at U-State. Wow! Well done! Glad we have Wells rather than Sitake. There were years I would have given valued body parts to beat BYU. Feeling pretty good about the margin of victory here. Really happy to see the Aggies get punched in the mouth and find a way to roar back. That kind of stuff points to amazing kids and solid coaching. Attitude reminds me of the tough blue collar teams that produced pros like Penn, Alexander, Bush,Lawson, Fackrell, Vigil(s) and Wagner. Now let's keep it rolling and go bowling!!! Go Aggies!
Last edited by Blue Sage on September 30th, 2017, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

#hornsup!

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » September 29th, 2017, 11:53 pm

And to think we had a chance to hire Kalani Sitake instead of Wells.

We just had a 16 point win over an instate rival that has dominated the series for decades, and half of the board is (I can't express myself without swearing).

It wasn't pretty, but a win is a win.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 29th, 2017, 11:59 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:Matt Wells end of half/game management and situational awareness ss on the point chart is amateurish. Great defense though. Great win nevertheless
He made the right call with the point chart. When a touchdown puts you up 12, going for 2 to make it 14 is the right call.

Donman

Post by Donman » September 30th, 2017, 12:04 am

jackmormon wrote:And to think we had a chance to hire Kalani Sitake instead of Wells.

We just had a 16 point win over an instate rival that has dominated the series for decades, and half of the board is (I can't express myself without swearing).

It wasn't pretty, but a win is a win.
I couldn't believe it. Sure it was ugly but a win is a win. Great job team.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 30th, 2017, 12:07 am

I don't like going for 2 with more than 6-7 minutes left, it almost cost us. Wells should have called a timeout after the stop right before the half, but we still got a field goal. He also should have taken one after second down on the ensuing drive. You know what though, it wasn't pretty but I saw a helluva lot of. Fight for a team that has quit on their coach. Go Aggies!

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » September 30th, 2017, 12:10 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:Holy Night! I can't believe you losers are piling on top of a coach that has now beaten BYU twice as many times in the same number of tries as Saint Gary. Mind you, I am usually one of Wells' larger critics.

GO AGGIES!!!

This^^^^^^^^

#hornsup!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 30th, 2017, 12:26 am

dyedblue wrote:I don't like going for 2 with more than 6-7 minutes left, it almost cost us.
Gary took criticism for NOT going for 2 in the third quarter against Ohio in the Potato Bowl.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » September 30th, 2017, 12:36 am

This thread started out pretty poorly, but then completely turned around. Let's enjoy the win and support our team. It wasn't a perfect game, hopefully we can fix some of the problems and keep improving. Lots of good to take from this, though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 30th, 2017, 12:43 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:We just need some level headedness. We HAD to call a timeout that second quarter with the ball. We played out of our minds on D and earned the win but constantly were fighting coaching decisions putting us in a hole. If we can beat byu Utah or Boise and finish over .500 every year that's good enough for me and Aggie football TBH. Wells looks like we are on track right now, but he has some serious lapses sometimes.

Not kicking the field goal to go up 12, and going for it on 4th and 1 was just really an odd coaching decision...in my very humble opinion.
A field goal doesn't help you there. You are still only up 2 scores. If you get the TD, you are up 3 scores. I liked them going for it, but I thought Yost's play call was weak.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 30th, 2017, 12:51 am

newhouse9 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:We just need some level headedness. We HAD to call a timeout that second quarter with the ball. We played out of our minds on D and earned the win but constantly were fighting coaching decisions putting us in a hole. If we can beat byu Utah or Boise and finish over .500 every year that's good enough for me and Aggie football TBH. Wells looks like we are on track right now, but he has some serious lapses sometimes.

Not kicking the field goal to go up 12, and going for it on 4th and 1 was just really an odd coaching decision...in my very humble opinion.
A field goal doesn't help you there. You are still only up 2 scores. If you get the TD, you are up 3 scores. I liked them going for it, but I thought Yost's play call was weak.
This. And when we were in this situation at Nevada last year and he kicked the field goal, leaving it at a 2 score game, and took criticism for it. I agreed with the criticism he took for it last year, and agree with going for it this time.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » September 30th, 2017, 6:34 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:Matt Wells end of half/game management and situational awareness ss on the point chart is amateurish. Great defense though. Great win nevertheless
He made the right call with the point chart. When a touchdown puts you up 12, going for 2 to make it 14 is the right call.
I completely disagree. With that much time left you take points, not margin. After BYU's FG it was 33-24 with plenty of time to score another TD that would have made it 33-31, followed by a heartbreaking 33-34 loss. The two point call indicates a lack of confidence in your offense.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » September 30th, 2017, 6:57 am

GO AGGIES!!!
No kidding. The Regulators of Enjoyment are givin the Regulators of Class a run for their money tonight.....

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » September 30th, 2017, 7:48 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
I completely disagree. With that much time left you take points, not margin. After BYU's FG it was 33-24 with plenty of time to score another TD that would have made it 33-31, followed by a heartbreaking 33-34 loss. The two point call indicates a lack of confidence in your offense.
I dare say over 90% of coaches would have went for 2 in that situation. It's the correct call. It's the 4th down following that that I'm 50/50. If they could have ran up and got the play off quick it would have worked but the bozo ref stopped them by being confused about substitutions. Wells hopping up and down on the sideline trying to get them to let the play go. A FG would have put us back up to a 12 point lead. If we had 3 TOs we probably would have burned one there and kicked a FG. Earlier in the half Usu "called" a TO right before a Byu penalty. The TV showed Wells dumbfounded telling the ref no one called a TO. You could read his lips pretty good. I can't fault Wells for his management though this.

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 30th, 2017, 8:25 am

bigblue wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
I dare say over 90% of coaches would have went for 2 in that situation. It's the correct call. It's the 4th down following that that I'm 50/50. If they could have ran up and got the play off quick it would have worked but the bozo ref stopped them by being confused about substitutions. Wells hopping up and down on the sideline trying to get them to let the play go. A FG would have put us back up to a 12 point lead. If we had 3 TOs we probably would have burned one there and kicked a FG. Earlier in the half Usu "called" a TO right before a Byu penalty. The TV showed Wells dumbfounded telling the ref no one called a TO. You could read his lips pretty good. I can't fault Wells for his management though this.

I would've preferred to kick the FG to go up 12 points. When you're only up 9 a TD and FG by the opponent will lose the game. Up 12 the opponent needs to get two touchdowns to win the game.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 30th, 2017, 8:35 am

I had no problem with either decision.

Wells still needs to make a bowl at minimum.

He also remade the OL into a good unit in one year resulting in a decent running game with the same pedestrian RB unit.

Finally got a decent field goal kicker

Improved a word LB corps in one year. Not sure how much, but improved for sure.

He has the team playing hard again

Continues to give the promising freshman QB time

And has beaten our biggest rival 2 out of 5

We will see how he handles success this time around and he still has a lot to prove to me, but things are definitely on the upswing for now.

Go Aggies!

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 30th, 2017, 8:37 am

GO AGGIES!!!
This a thousand times. Let's not forget that our guys overcame an early deficit and spat in adversity's face! Great win! Go Aggies!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » September 30th, 2017, 8:51 am

GO AGGIES!!!
I agree completely, especially with getting guys to buy back in. This isn't the same team culture as last year; this is a different Wells, IMO. People can change. Just win.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » September 30th, 2017, 8:58 am

I've complained about Aggie offensive woes, win or lose, since CK went down in 2013. The offense sucked then, and it sucks now. I have no intention of not complaining about it until it doesn't suck. Regardless of what some board nanny tells me. Change the scheme; change the coaches; recruit and develop the players that can execute; improve game management; I don't know the answer for sure but that's Wells' job to figure out and accomplish. I don't think he's accomplished that. (Although mediocre's recent posts give me some hope that Wells can maybe hump the issues and turn things around.)

Now, this ugly win was a win and I like that. I was thrilled to see the team fight back in the first half and then endure and hang tough to get the win. The Aggies need more of that and I hope that fight continues. But while those are great things, this win doesn't erase the O woes that have been. It also doesn't change a thing that it was against BYU either. They're just another OOC opponent and it's irrational in my mind to attribute more to beating them than any other OOC non-P5 opponent the team faces. I know there are fans that would be thrilled with a 1-11 season as long as the 1 is against BYU but that isn't really an Aggie fan, in my opinion, so much as a BYU hater. Because there's no way that result, even if repeated year in and year out, will build the Aggie football program into what it can be; a perennial powerhouse in the MWC.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » September 30th, 2017, 9:11 am

I don’t think people are ok with 1-11 with a win over BYU. I think people are happy to see us not die out when we went down 21-7. I think people are happy that the team is happy. I think people are happy for a win. That doesn’t mean there aren’t flaws in this team.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 30th, 2017, 9:20 am

newhouse9 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:

100% agreed. I loved having the balls to go for it on 4th and 1, it showed that we were going for the score that would break them right then and there. The play call was atrocious. 4th and 1 calls for some ingenuity and a play should have been called that you may only call in that situation and that situation alone. Don't call a play that you have already run 20 times during the game. The defense was selling out on the play being a run and of course we ran the ball. Duh!
Last edited by aggies22 on September 30th, 2017, 9:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » September 30th, 2017, 9:27 am

NVAggie wrote:I don’t think people are ok with 1-11 with a win over BYU. I think people are happy to see us not die out when we went down 21-7. I think people are happy that the team is happy. I think people are happy for a win. That doesn’t mean there aren’t flaws in this team.
THIS. I’m very pleased about the win and how the team responded to adversity. But I need to see how they respond to CSU next week. They have to handle success better than they did against Boise two years ago.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 30th, 2017, 9:28 am

bigblue wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

I honestly can't imagine why any coach wouldn't have gone for 2? It makes all the sense in the world to me to try and make it a two score game. And I'll up that number to 99% of coaches would have gone for 2 in that situation. Wells did everything he could to try and extend the score and make the game more difficult for honor code college to come back. My only complaint would be not using one of two timeouts near the end of the first half when we could have saved 15 or 20 seconds and really thought out our redzone strategy during a timeout.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 30th, 2017, 9:35 am

I don't like it because there are 14 minutes left in the game and you would be up 13 instead of 12 with the extra point. BYU kicked field goal making it a 9 point game and had the ball with 6 minutes left - speaking from memory, feel free to correct the actual times. If BYU scores a touchdown and gets an onsides kick they very well could have won. By kicking the FG you make them score touchdowns instead of leaving the door open to steal one on FGs.

I realize there are a lot of different perspectives on this on. I would have kicked the field goal and gone up 12 as well, that one didn't bother me as much.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » September 30th, 2017, 9:50 am

dyedblue wrote:I don't like it because there are 14 minutes left in the game and you would be up 13 instead of 12 with the extra point. BYU kicked field goal making it a 9 point game and had the ball with 6 minutes left - speaking from memory, feel free to correct the actual times. If BYU scores a touchdown and gets an onsides kick they very well could have won. By kicking the FG you make them score touchdowns instead of leaving the door open to steal one on FGs.

I realize there are a lot of different perspectives on this on. I would have kicked the field goal and gone up 12 as well, that one didn't bother me as much.
This is the most compelling argument for the FG. Make it a two touchdown game, not a TD+FG game.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

GUS

Post by GUS » September 30th, 2017, 10:06 am

I think byu's front 7 on defense are better than most that we will see in the MWC. They have some large bodies there.

Locked Previous topicNext topic