Hans film study USU BYU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
satireag
Has thanked: 0

Hans film study USU BYU

Post by satireag » October 3rd, 2017, 8:56 am

I know some of us dislike Hans for whatever reason but I really enjoyed this breakdown

http://www.1280thezone.com/film-study-a ... d-matchup/

Elkaggie

Re: Hans film study USU BYU

Post by Elkaggie » October 3rd, 2017, 9:00 am

I don't know how you could dislike Hans, he's my favorite to listen too and has always talked highly of USU.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 3rd, 2017, 11:00 am

I particularly appreciated his highlighting of Mason Tobeck on the strip in this one:

[youtube][/youtube]

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 3rd, 2017, 11:14 am

Here's another of his videos that was really great. Shows us messing up a bubble screen (or whatever the correct term is for this) on the Hanneman pick 6, followed by us executing one correctly to get 8 yards and a first down:

[youtube][/youtube]

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 3rd, 2017, 11:28 am

BigBlueDart wrote:Here's another of his videos that was really great. Shows us messing up a bubble screen (or whatever the correct term is for this) on the Hanneman pick 6, followed by us executing one correctly to get 8 yards and a first down:

[youtube][/youtube]
The thing that looks so obvious to me:

On the interception returned for a touchdown, the CB clearly saw what USU was setting up to do. He had obviously seen it run by USU on film hundreds of times. He recognized the formation, split the block, and jumped the route. I would say that he took a gamble in doing this but it wasn't a gamble at all. It wasn't a gamble because we never fake that play. When we set up that play and Myers turns his shoulders to throw that direction, he always throws it. More times than not it goes for minimal gain, or worse, a pick six.

What I don't understand is why we don't pump fake that throw to get the CB to bite and then run a go route down the sideline. The CB is out of the picture by biting on the fake and there are two lead blockers to take out the safety coming over to help. A fake to the wide receiver screen and a toss down the sideline would have gone untouched to the endzone on that play. The CB knew he could jump the route because in the thousands of times we run that play, we have never faked it. There was no risk to the CB by being burned by a fake.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 3rd, 2017, 11:48 am

Yossarian wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:Here's another of his videos that was really great. Shows us messing up a bubble screen (or whatever the correct term is for this) on the Hanneman pick 6, followed by us executing one correctly to get 8 yards and a first down:

[youtube][/youtube]

On the interception returned for a touchdown, the CB clearly saw what USU was setting up to do. He had obviously seen it run by USU on film hundreds of times. He recognized the formation, split the block, and jumped the route. I would say that he took a gamble in doing this but it wasn't a gamble at all. It wasn't a gamble because we never fake that play. When we set up that play and Myers turns his shoulders to throw that direction, he always throws it. More times than not it goes for minimal gain, or worse, a pick six.

What I don't understand is why we don't pump fake that throw to get the CB to bite and then run a go route down the sideline. The CB is out of the picture by biting on the fake and there are two lead blockers to take out the safety coming over to help. A fake to the wide receiver screen and a toss down the sideline would have gone untouched to the endzone on that play. The CB knew he could jump the route because in the thousands of times we run that play, we have never faked it. There was no risk to the CB by being burned by a fake.
I've been asking myself why we NEVER run a fake out of this ever since Wells has been the head coach. Either Clemson or Alabama ran a beautifully designed fake out of it in the national championship game last year that was a big play I remember.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 3rd, 2017, 2:00 pm

Yossarian wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

You hit it on the head. BYU's defensive formation was scouted exactly for this play. Tarver did a terrible job but he wasn't thinking wrong. He is supposed to block his guy inside and the other slot is supposed to block the guy stacked behind him inside if possible or force him to the sideline so the receiver can make an inside move after getting past Tarver's guy. Tarver probably thought he was doing his job when the DB went inside of him but he let it happen so fast that the DB realized he was going to be able to jump the route instead of going to the receiver who was moving to the outside.

A fake on that 1-3 times would make the play much more effective because the DB would have to think about his man or zone and wait for the catch to happen.

aggiefanatic

Post by aggiefanatic » October 3rd, 2017, 2:08 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
I personally hate this formation. The inside receiver is covered and that makes him useless in terms of making the defense focus on him. I would like to see us put a receiver or another tight end on the other side of the formation to allow the inside guy to be off the ball.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 3rd, 2017, 2:09 pm

We ran the fake bubble at least two or three times vs sjsu and BYU.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 3rd, 2017, 2:45 pm

aggiefanatic wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
I personally hate this formation. The inside receiver is covered and that makes him useless in terms of making the defense focus on him. I would like to see us put a receiver or another tight end on the other side of the formation to allow the inside guy to be off the ball.
This same formation (at least on the edge) resulted in a TD against byu where we ran zone read against it with a designed pull for Kent with a lead blocker. The formation pulled the entire secondary away from the play and left Dad Raymond with ok block to make to spring Kent for the TD.

I didn't like the play call on the pick 6 on 3rd and 1 either, but if the receiver makes his block, we get a first down. Our wideouts have shown a much better ability to block this play this year overall

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

USUFAN5
Has thanked: 0

Post by USUFAN5 » October 3rd, 2017, 3:34 pm

I know we ran at least two fakes...one on the touchdown to Raymond. Dax faked like he was blocking down...sold it really well. The other one van lewen jumped like the ball went over his head but nobody bought it that time.

Maverik_Aggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Maverik_Aggie » October 3rd, 2017, 3:41 pm

We need to like and share this on Twitter. Our social media presence is les than impressive. Everyone's go like and share so we can have a better chance at more time on the radio. It can't hurt!

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » October 3rd, 2017, 4:11 pm

I really, really thoroughly enjoyed this breakdown. I would like to see Hans do more of these for Utah State in the future.

Hans has always been one of my favorite radio guys in the state, but it was very, very clear he had zero clue about Utah State before this game so I got very annoyed listening to him when he would talk about the Aggies. Luckily, he seems very complimentary about the team and there has already been a massive increase of positive coverage on he and Scotty's show.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 3rd, 2017, 4:54 pm

The pick six was terrible because we ran that play at least twice on our first drive. Of course the D knew exactly what we were doing.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 3rd, 2017, 6:35 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:We ran the fake bubble at least two or three times vs sjsu and BYU.
Yeah, but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic