Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Re: Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

Post by sam tingey » October 10th, 2017, 11:22 am

TheAKAggie wrote:Gary is just chilling in my guest room, catching up on Netflix. He fell asleep watching Stanger things last night and this morning was excited to get caught up before season 2. Dude was famished as well, I’ve never seen someone eat a whole sleeve of Eggo waffle’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You Lie! I doubt you have never seen anyone eat a whole sleeve of Eggo waffles before. You went to college didn't you?

mr swaggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mr swaggie » October 10th, 2017, 11:50 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:I'm really struggling to see how some of you are twisting Andersen walking away from 11 million as a bad thing. It screams integrity to me. As for leaving Wisconsin, maybe it's true that Alvarez refused to give up control, maybe it's not. Who cares? The guy resurrected a football program that had been dead for over 40 years, bringing us back to a national ranking and even talks of a Heisman candidate(and yes, huge credit to Chuckie here, but to say that Andersen had nothing to do with it would be disingenuous).

If he needs to take a break from the game, that's fine. But we better at least be on the phone with him.
Not necessarily bad, but certainly puzzling. I do not think it screams integrity though. Where was his integrity when he suddenly walked away from SUU after one season? Where was his integrity when he was professing his love for USU while negotiating with Wisconsin? Where was his integrity when he suddenly walked away from two successful seasons at Wisconsin for the massive downgrade at Oregon State? Now I do not think it means anything sinister. But I honestly think it shows a man who is, for lack of a better word, fragile. We know he worked himself into the hospital during his second year at USU. We know he was unhappy enough at Wisconsin that despite success, he opted to walk away from that top 15 job and into the cellar of the PAC-12 in Oregon State. And it seems pretty clear that he was unhappy and/or stressed enough at Oregon State that he opted to walk away from a lot of money in mid season instead of riding it out to the end of the season. I worry that Gary Andersen is now a shell of his former self, stressed and burnt out to the point where we'd have to wonder whether he will work himself to death, or not work hard enough to re-build the level of success he had during his first stint.
None of those things have anything to do with integrity. I can't believe people still are hung up about how he left. The Wisconsin job opened up very abruptly and completely unexpectedly, and Gary being their first option was even more unexpected. You can argue that he shouldn't have said he was going to stay when there's always a chance he gets offered a job like that, but it's the way he let the players know that shows integrity in my opinion. He called each one individually to let them know. People without integrity would have no interest in doing that.

He left Wisconsin because he was a bad fit for the school, conference, and team style. It was a shocking move not because of how much it hurt Wisconsin, but how much it took away from Andersen. It's rare to see a coach voluntarily give up a marquee job with great pay. The fans weren't that upset because they expect more than what Gary was giving them. Wisconsin came out much better for it, Chryst fits their system perfectly.

At Oregon State, they gave him a huge extension just for going 4-8 and beating Oregon, it looked like things were on the up and up until the first weekend this year. Gary talked to a local reporter and told him that if things didn't work out, he would drop the contract entirely, leaving no burden on the university to have to either keep a failing coach, or fire him and have huge financial ties (especially for a school like Oregon State) that would hurt the school in finding a new coach/moving forward. Leaving 11 million on the table is genuinely one of biggest acts of integrity you'll ever hear from a college coach. You think Wells would leave future years on the table if he loses the last 6 games? Doubt it. I doubt any other coach in football would do what Andersen did, even if stress or distaste for the job affected his decision.

As for coming back, I think being worried about his mental and physical well-being is reasonable and a valid concern. I don't think his integrity is under question though.

By the way, this isn't really aimed at you swordsman, just the general idea that he doesn't have integrity.

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 10th, 2017, 12:06 pm

I would think hiring GA back (if it ever was an option) would lessen the chance of USU being used as a stepping stone to greener pastures, if he is successful again. He now has a feel for those pastures and maybe wouldn't go back. The potential for long term success and stability is a very tempting thought in this regard.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 10th, 2017, 12:11 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:Wisconsin fans I know are convinced that he realized that his West-Style wasn't right for Wisconsin's Big-10 Bruising Culture, in addition to the heavy hand AD that Barry Alvarez was. The embarrassment in the championship game exposed the difference between styles more than coaching ability.
Bingo. I am friends with several Wisconsin season ticket-holder fans. Word is that Barry micromanages his coaches, which is why Bielema left Wisconsin for Arkansas after compiling a 68-24 record and three straight Rose Bowl berths and explains, in part, why GA bolted to take the job at Oregon St. Doesn't sound like he is "quitting" on OSU. Sounds like they asked him to leave and he honorably stepped down. Maybe there's more to it than that, but I'm willing to take things at face value until we see evidence to the contrary.

A few points:

* The fact that GA left $12M on the table at OSU doesn't necessarily mean the parting wasn't simply a mutual "this isn't working out." I am willing to take GA's statement at face value that there are more important things than money.

* GA took one of the worst football programs in the country and turned it into a Top 15 team that was competitive with every opponent they played for his past two seasons here. Under Wells, that same team IMMEDIATELY took a step back. While USU's overall record continued looked good for the first couple of seasons under Wells, the underlying numbers show that USU's performance went in immediate decline.

* GA showed that he knows how to recruit and win in Utah; Wells has not. Maybe GA is burned out, maybe he's not, but I would certainly rather have someone with a proven track record of success at USU with its unique challenges and opportunities than someone with a track record of failure given the same circumstances.

* Not sure where Stanford comes up with this BS that GA did two things right while at USU, and both were a matter of timing/luck. The USU team under GA was SO much more than Keeton. Keeton was about 10% of the success story. The rest was how GA got his teams to play hard and compete with more heart and guts than any USU teams I have seen before or since (and I started watching during the Bruce Snyder era in the late 70s).

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 10th, 2017, 12:25 pm

If Oregon State wasn't okay with Gary's departure, they could hold him liable for his buyout. They didn't. Rather they called him a class act on his way out the door and wished him the best. Both sides had to tear up the contract.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 10th, 2017, 12:26 pm

mr swaggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:I'm really struggling to see how some of you are twisting Andersen walking away from 11 million as a bad thing. It screams integrity to me. As for leaving Wisconsin, maybe it's true that Alvarez refused to give up control, maybe it's not. Who cares? The guy resurrected a football program that had been dead for over 40 years, bringing us back to a national ranking and even talks of a Heisman candidate(and yes, huge credit to Chuckie here, but to say that Andersen had nothing to do with it would be disingenuous).

If he needs to take a break from the game, that's fine. But we better at least be on the phone with him.
Not necessarily bad, but certainly puzzling. I do not think it screams integrity though. Where was his integrity when he suddenly walked away from SUU after one season? Where was his integrity when he was professing his love for USU while negotiating with Wisconsin? Where was his integrity when he suddenly walked away from two successful seasons at Wisconsin for the massive downgrade at Oregon State? Now I do not think it means anything sinister. But I honestly think it shows a man who is, for lack of a better word, fragile. We know he worked himself into the hospital during his second year at USU. We know he was unhappy enough at Wisconsin that despite success, he opted to walk away from that top 15 job and into the cellar of the PAC-12 in Oregon State. And it seems pretty clear that he was unhappy and/or stressed enough at Oregon State that he opted to walk away from a lot of money in mid season instead of riding it out to the end of the season. I worry that Gary Andersen is now a shell of his former self, stressed and burnt out to the point where we'd have to wonder whether he will work himself to death, or not work hard enough to re-build the level of success he had during his first stint.
None of those things have anything to do with integrity. I can't believe people still are hung up about how he left. The Wisconsin job opened up very abruptly and completely unexpectedly, and Gary being their first option was even more unexpected. You can argue that he shouldn't have said he was going to stay when there's always a chance he gets offered a job like that, but it's the way he let the players know that shows integrity in my opinion. He called each one individually to let them know. People without integrity would have no interest in doing that.

He left Wisconsin because he was a bad fit for the school, conference, and team style. It was a shocking move not because of how much it hurt Wisconsin, but how much it took away from Andersen. It's rare to see a coach voluntarily give up a marquee job with great pay. The fans weren't that upset because they expect more than what Gary was giving them. Wisconsin came out much better for it, Chryst fits their system perfectly.

At Oregon State, they gave him a huge extension just for going 4-8 and beating Oregon, it looked like things were on the up and up until the first weekend this year. Gary talked to a local reporter and told him that if things didn't work out, he would drop the contract entirely, leaving no burden on the university to have to either keep a failing coach, or fire him and have huge financial ties (especially for a school like Oregon State) that would hurt the school in finding a new coach/moving forward. Leaving 11 million on the table is genuinely one of biggest acts of integrity you'll ever hear from a college coach. You think Wells would leave future years on the table if he loses the last 6 games? Doubt it. I doubt any other coach in football would do what Andersen did, even if stress or distaste for the job affected his decision.

As for coming back, I think being worried about his mental and physical well-being is reasonable and a valid concern. I don't think his integrity is under question though.

By the way, this isn't really aimed at you swordsman, just the general idea that he doesn't have integrity.
I understand that it isn't really aimed at me. I am capable of having a civil discussion about this whole thing without taking any of it personally.

I have been one of the defenders of his leaving USU for Wisconsin. I think that move made all the sense in the world. But let's not look past the fact that this guy has had four head coaching jobs, and he left three of them within two and a half seasons or less and all, at least officially, on a voluntary basis. One of them was at best lateral move (head coach at 1-AA SUU to DC at 1-A Utah - a non BCS school at the time), and two were definite downgrades (Wisconsin to Oregon State and then Oregon State to nothing). His average tenure at each job is less than two and a half seasons. I will concede that the moves may not individually show a lack of integrity. But looking at the whole picture, I cannot see how it shows integrity either. What we can tell for sure is that no matter what he does, he will not stick with it for very long. That track record has been proven.

Edit: Another way to look at it is that of the three head coaching jobs he has held for more than one season, he has either been hospitalised for stress, or left due to being unhappy or it not being a good fit.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 10th, 2017, 12:32 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:I just cannot justify the re-hiring of Andersen. I know what he did here is amazing, and I will always be grateful for what he did during his four years here. But Let's look at his history - he left SUU after one season. He proclaimed his undying love for USU and jumped ship less than 24 hours later, albeit for one of the top jobs in college football. Less than two years later, after leading Wisconsin to the Big Ten championship game, he abruptly left that great coaching job for one of the worst PAC-12 jobs imaginable, a school where very few coaches have been successful. Now, less than three years after starting that job, he "mutually agrees to part ways" with Oregon State and voluntarily (?!?!?!?!?) leaves over $11 million on the table. His track record is not great. I do think he was a great fit here at USU. But I doubt that the Gary Andersen of 2009-2012 exists anymore. He would return as severely damaged goods, having made two of the biggest head scratching moves in college football coaching history. How can any recruit trust anything Andersen sells them at this point? How do we, or the administration, or recruits, know if he is even healthy at his point?

If Andersen had been moderately successful at Wisconsin over the last four plus season, and had just decided the academic standards and the pressure of Big Ten coaching was too much, I would feel much more confident in taking him back. But the experience with both Wisconsin and Oregon State are both real head scratching decisions that cannot be overlooked.
What was wrong with his experience at Wisconsin?
he was 19-7 - 9-4 then 10-3 - in Big 10 play he was 6-2 and 7-1
He picked up an elite program which had a tough year, Bielema's final 3 years were 11-2, 11-3, 8-5(4-4), and made immediate improvement.

Wisconsin fans I know are convinced that he realized that his West-Style wasn't right for Wisconsin's Big-10 Bruising Culture, in addition to the heavy hand AD that Barry Alvarez was. The embarrassment in the championship game exposed the difference between styles more than coaching ability.
Nothing was wrong with his experience at Wisconsin. But walking away from success at one of the premier jobs (top 15) in college football after two seasons, to take one of the worst in the P5 conferences, does not make much sense. Then voluntarily walking away from $11 million in guaranteed money makes even less sense. It is his seemingly bizarre decisions with his last two coaching jobs that concern me more than anything. Add to that the sudden departure from SUU after one year to back to being an assistant, and the way he left USU less than 24 hours after proclaiming his love for the Aggies, and you get a guy who comes across as flaky and unreliable.
again his leaving Wisky was no more strange than Bielema doing the same 2 years before. Insiders tell me it was much more a statement on Alvarez than either BB or GA, regardless of current week's news and the SUU thing. Looking at a select group of actions and drawing conclusions is easy, understanding the what/why is not often possible when discussing an individual's choice. Trends may apply to a personality trait, they also may be the result of chaotic coincidence.
The part which tripped me up in your original post was that you merely extended his timeframe at wisky with the part of the same reasoning to leave after 4 years as he did after 2, then said it was a head-scratcher.

Enter your Picks on GOOGLE DOCS
BOWLS Entry Sheet

WEEK 15 Entry with results

WEEKLY & WTHCG Standings Congrats to winners - Aggies22 Weekly, bigblue WTHCG

KICKOFF Standings & Summary Congrats to winner - NHAGGIE!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 10th, 2017, 12:42 pm

swishh_15 wrote:Aglicious, joey52, swordsman1989 and whoever else is adamantly opposed to the job being Gary's if he wanted it--

Would you take Gary over Matt Wells? Or would you rather continue to keep Wells as the coach at least until the end of his contract?

Let's say Wells isn't the coach next year (his own choice or someone else's) who then would you put as viable candidates for the job that you would take over Gary?

I agree there's definite risks with Gary and some red flags over the last few years. He may not be able to recreate that magic. But it seems to me the risks with him are a lot less than anyone else.
Would I take Gary over Matt? Yes, but only to be rid of Matt and not so much to get Gary. I've said it before here and on the MWC board, I like GA as a person and I think he is a great motivator, mentor and father figure to young men. I think what he did at USU was exceptional but he has been somewhat over-credited with what happened too. He had some nice players to work with, had a once in a generation talent at QB, had unprecedented support from the school president and AD, and enjoyed sponsorship and facility upgrades like no other coach had seen before. Without rehashing everything he ever did at USU compared to Wells or anyone else, it simply comes down to whether or not you believe he is the same coach and if he can recreate that same momentum a second time around. USU is not going to experience all those other factors happening at once again, at least not to the extent they did during that time so selling the program and what it has to offer is a bit different now.

The GA I see now looks like he's aged two decades since being at USU. I question not only his health but his credibility when it comes to attracting quality assistants and recruits. His top assistants chose not to follow him around or have left for better opportunities while the same old unwanted assistant gang tends to cling to him for a job. He just got done throwing many of them under the bus and placing blame on them so who would he surround himself with if he were to return? His better years came when he finally let go of the defense, brought someone else in to run it, and became focused on being the best HC he could. He has struggled when he has not had good assistants on his staff (i.e. without Aranda or Sitake running the D). When it comes to recruits, does he still have the same respect or credibility when he makes visits and tells parents he is not going anywhere and will take care of their kid?

I am more interested in finding the "next GA", the guy who wants this job as bad as Gary wanted it prior to being hired. I want the guy that had his attitude at the time, who looks at USU and sees a gold mine with endless potential and not some place that has limitations. I think finding that type of guy is more important to USU's future than reliving the past and hoping that Andersen can somehow recreate it all again. I don't know who that person is and I'm not saying GA is not a valid or qualified candidate, I just feel like that ship has sailed and that Gary would find it difficult to live up to former glory or expectations that he created.

If it were to somehow happen I certainly would not be raging mad about it, I would just feel disappointed.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 10th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Aglicious wrote:Would I take Gary over Matt? Yes, but only to be rid of Matt and not so much to get Gary. I've said it before here and on the MWC board, I like GA as a person and I think he is a great motivator, mentor and father figure to young men. I think what he did at USU was exceptional but he has been somewhat over-credited with what happened too. He had some nice players to work with, had a once in a generation talent at QB, had unprecedented support from the school president and AD, and enjoyed sponsorship and facility upgrades like no other coach had seen before. Without rehashing everything he ever did at USU compared to Wells or anyone else, it simply comes down to whether or not you believe he is the same coach and if he can recreate that same momentum a second time around. USU is not going to experience all those other factors happening at once again, at least not to the extent they did during that time so selling the program and what it has to offer is a bit different now.

The GA I see now looks like he's aged two decades since being at USU. I question not only his health but his credibility when it comes to attracting quality assistants and recruits. His top assistants chose not to follow him around or have left for better opportunities while the same old unwanted assistant gang tends to cling to him for a job. He just got done throwing many of them under the bus and placing blame on them so who would he surround himself with if he were to return? His better years came when he finally let go of the defense, brought someone else in to run it, and became focused on being the best HC he could. He has struggled when he has not had good assistants on his staff (i.e. without Aranda or Sitake running the D). When it comes to recruits, does he still have the same respect or credibility when he makes visits and tells parents he is not going anywhere and will take care of their kid?

I am more interested in finding the "next GA", the guy who wants this job as bad as Gary wanted it prior to being hired. I want the guy that had his attitude at the time, who looks at USU and sees a gold mine with endless potential and not some place that has limitations. I think finding that type of guy is more important to USU's future than reliving the past and hoping that Andersen can somehow recreate it all again. I don't know who that person is and I'm not saying GA is not a valid or qualified candidate, I just feel like that ship has sailed and that Gary would find it difficult to live up to former glory or expectations that he created.

If it were to somehow happen I certainly would not be raging mad about it, I would just feel disappointed.
Good points all. Hard to disagree with any of that.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 10th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Gary knows how to recruit to Utah State. That is the #1 reason you would hire him back. That was the biggest reason for his success here and for the turn around of the program. I think we would see a huge increase in the level of talent we could get here if we hired him.

Gary is best suited to be a head coach at Utah State out of anywhere in the country, considering his knowledge of Utah and the west, Utah high school coaches and his relationship there, and the degree of pressure he did and would experience here.

It is a perfect fit for him, which is why I think he would be interested.

And I think USU would be crazy to not consider it. To me it is a no brainer.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 10th, 2017, 1:41 pm

From the For What It's Worth Department, I have it on good authority that GA remained a significant contributor to USU even after he left.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » October 10th, 2017, 1:43 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:Image
Isn't that Logan regional airport? Choo, choo!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dumping jet fuel on the fire?

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » October 10th, 2017, 1:47 pm

To me it screams, there is something that has happened off the field that has forced him out, but no one is saying what it is.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 10th, 2017, 2:12 pm

jackmormon wrote:

To me it screams, there is something that has happened off the field that has forced him out, but no one is saying what it is.
That seems quite cynical.

VegasAggie71

Post by VegasAggie71 » October 10th, 2017, 2:22 pm

New article on GA/OSU. It's basically a bunch of texts to the reporter over the course of the season showing his thought process (and he also throws some of his assistants under the bus). Interesting read.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... it_ro.html

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 10th, 2017, 2:33 pm

VegasAggie71 wrote:New article on GA/OSU. It's basically a bunch of texts to the reporter over the course of the season showing his thought process (and he also throws some of his assistants under the bus). Interesting read.

:shock:

That's a crazy perspective, there.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 10th, 2017, 2:36 pm

I'll play the cynic this time... :)

Are the texts from this beat writer legit? Or is he just butthurt over a bad stretch of Beaver Football and generating dirt for clicks?

If they're legit, then Gary has *REALLY* changed since he left.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 10th, 2017, 2:39 pm

VegasAggie71 wrote:New article on GA/OSU. It's basically a bunch of texts to the reporter over the course of the season showing his thought process (and he also throws some of his assistants under the bus). Interesting read.

Great article, thanks

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » October 10th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Wow. Once again, I hope he takes some time off to regroup and get himself right.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 10th, 2017, 2:41 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:I'll play the cynic this time... :)

Are the texts from this beat writer legit? Or is he just butthurt over a bad stretch of Beaver Football and generating dirt for clicks?

I had to wonder a little bit if this was supposed to be satire, but I wasn't getting that feel. They certainly shocked me, too, though. I couldn't say for certain whether the writer just made some of them up or not. I'm sure that some private texts with a friend/colleague/whatever wouldn't be as couth as any public statements, etc. But these texts almost had shades of Trump, but with a sense of responsibility and accountability.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 10th, 2017, 2:42 pm

What about those texts is so different from the Gary you knew? They seem about right to me.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 10th, 2017, 2:44 pm

swishh_15 wrote:

What about those texts is so different from the Gary you knew? They seem about right to me.
Gary always fell on the knife, never once blaming anyone but himself for shortcomings. He was also a particularly articulate person. Such a person writing these texts seems fishy at best.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 10th, 2017, 2:49 pm

swishh_15 wrote:

:shock: wow. If GA didn’t give permission to print those texts, that’s a pretty low blow to print them now. He sounds like a guy consumed and exhausted. Hard to see him taking another HC position in the near future. He should take care of himself for awhile.

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » October 10th, 2017, 2:52 pm

ChicAggie wrote:From the For What It's Worth Department, I have it on good authority that GA remained a significant contributor to USU even after he left.
I have heard the same.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 10th, 2017, 2:57 pm

MAN! That's some crazy (expletive) MOTHA (expletive) (expletive) right there! (expletive) (expletive)! It's like who is this crazy (expletive) MOTHA (expletive) talking right there! I don't even talk that kind of (expletive) to my closest friends... and those MOTHA (expletive) be (expletive) all MOTHA (expletive) day long! (expletive) (expletive)! :shock:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 10th, 2017, 3:05 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:

:shock: wow. If GA didn’t give permission to print those texts, that’s a pretty low blow to print them now. He sounds like a guy consumed and exhausted. Hard to see him taking another HC position in the near future. He should take care of himself for awhile.
The start of the article says that Gary gave permission for the texts to be posted.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 10th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Guess I missed that. Crazy stuff right there.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 10th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 10th, 2017, 3:12 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:

Hello?! He was consumed and exhausted. That's exactly why he left the job.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 10th, 2017, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegasAggie71

Post by VegasAggie71 » October 10th, 2017, 3:15 pm

treesap32 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:

The start of the article says that Gary gave permission for the texts to be posted.
Minor clarification - article says GA was aware the texts were going to be published and they communicated on that front. It's worded in a way that makes me wonder if GA actually gave permission or was just given a heads up that they were going to be published.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » October 10th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Poor Guy, sounds like he was losing his grip on his life. He didn't do his Assistants any favors as far as endorsements either.

"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 10th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Machismo wrote:Poor Guy, sounds like he was losing his grip on his life. He didn't do his Assistants any favors as far as endorsements either.
Most of his assistants were guys that came through here at some point:

OC: Kevin McGiven
DC: Kevin Clune
TE: Dave Baldwin

Others that I doubt he was throwing under the bus:
AAD for Football: Zach Nyborg
Director of Football Ops: Keegan Andersen
QC Cornerbacks: Tay Glover
GA Quarterbacks: Chuckie Keeton
GA Defensive Line: Al Lapuaho

We complained a lot about the top three there...

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 10th, 2017, 3:29 pm

ChicAggie wrote:From the For What It's Worth Department, I have it on good authority that GA remained a significant contributor to USU even after he left.
I have reliable confirmation that he gave a SIGNIFICANT donation that paid for major renovations to the home locker room at the Mav. There was no publicity, and the only people that see it are the players and coaches.

I have HUGE reservations about re-hiring Gary, but there is no question that he still has warm feelings for USU.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 10th, 2017, 3:31 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Machismo wrote:Poor Guy, sounds like he was losing his grip on his life. He didn't do his Assistants any favors as far as endorsements either.
Most of his assistants were guys that came through here at some point:

OC: Kevin McGiven
DC: Kevin Clune
TE: Dave Baldwin

Others that I doubt he was throwing under the bus:
AAD for Football: Zach Nyborg
Director of Football Ops: Keegan Andersen
QC Cornerbacks: Tay Glover
GA Quarterbacks: Chuckie Keeton
GA Defensive Line: Al Lapuaho

We complained a lot about the top three there...
If we were to have openings, I'd take any of those last three back in a heartbeat as position coaches. I still contend that Tay Glover-Wright was possibly the best all around athlete and most versatile player to come through Utah State in the last five years.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 10th, 2017, 3:44 pm

LKGates wrote:
I have reliable confirmation that he gave a SIGNIFICANT donation that paid for major renovations to the home locker room at the Mav. There was no publicity, and the only people that see it are the players and coaches.

I have HUGE reservations about re-hiring Gary, but there is no question that he still has warm feelings for USU.
I have seen the entrance to the locker room and it has his name and his wife's (I think her name is Shelley) on it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic