Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

Post by aggies22 » October 11th, 2017, 7:03 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
ChicAggie wrote: * GA took one of the worst football programs in the country and turned it into a Top 15 team that was competitive with every opponent they played for his past two seasons here. Under Wells, that same team IMMEDIATELY took a step back. While USU's overall record continued looked good for the first couple of seasons under Wells, the underlying numbers show that USU's performance went in immediate decline.

* GA showed that he knows how to recruit and win in Utah; Wells has not. Maybe GA is burned out, maybe he's not, but I would certainly rather have someone with a proven track record of success at USU with its unique challenges and opportunities than someone with a track record of failure given the same circumstances.

* Not sure where Stanford comes up with this BS that GA did two things right while at USU, and both were a matter of timing/luck. The USU team under GA was SO much more than Keeton. Keeton was about 10% of the success story. The rest was how GA got his teams to play hard and compete with more heart and guts than any USU teams I have seen before or since (and I started watching during the Bruce Snyder era in the late 70s).
As I said before, have you ever heard of regression to the mean? It's not hard to improve when your baseline is Brent Guy. Likewise when you inherit the best team in 50 years, the following season's team is more likely to be worse than better. I've said it before, but I find it weird how many of our fans remember 2012 and ignore the rest of Andersen's head coaching career. He failed at SUU, he failed at OSU, he was mediocre at Wisconsin, and he had two bad seasons and one mediocre season at USU. If there were any evidence that he has the ability to consistently win in different circumstances, I might feel differently. But when a head coach has one good season after a decade of coaching, I tend to think the more likely explanation is that the good season was a fluke. If you look at their entire coaching careers, Wells has a higher winning percentage and more bowl wins than Andersen does. (And if you throw out the Wisconsin numbers, Andersen's career winning percentage is downright ugly.)

And for the record, I didn't say that those were the only two things that Andersen did right. But I do think that there is a high probability that if Keeton hadn't decommitted from Air Force, Andersen would have had a string of sub.500 seasons and either quit or been pushed out. If you think Keeton was only 10% of the 2011/2012 teams, then you and I were watching different teams. I find it doubtful that we get to six wins in 2011 without Keeton, and there is no way that we win 11 games in 2012 without Keeton. This isn't to say that Andersen was a bad coach who just got lucky. But head coaches always get too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go poorly. Sometimes winning or losing just boils down to luck that is entirely outside of the coach's control. The Keeton case is a good example of that.
swishh_15 wrote:Aglicious, joey52, swordsman1989 and whoever else is adamantly opposed to the job being Gary's if he wanted it--

Would you take Gary over Matt Wells? Or would you rather continue to keep Wells as the coach at least until the end of his contract?

Let's say Wells isn't the coach next year (his own choice or someone else's) who then would you put as viable candidates for the job that you would take over Gary?

I agree there's definite risks with Gary and some red flags over the last few years. He may not be able to recreate that magic. But it seems to me the risks with him are a lot less than anyone else.
I'll bite. As I said before, I'm not adamantly opposed to hiring Andersen. But I definitely would not fire Wells just because Andersen might be available. I think Wells deserves to keep his job if he can get us to a bowl (and possibly if he doesn't). And even if Wells does get fired, I wouldn't automatically hand the job to Andersen if he wants it. I would want to do a thorough search and hire the best applicant, and that may or may not be Andersen. If you want the names of candidates who I would take over Andersen, right now I think both Jay Hill and Lance Anderson would be higher on my list. There is a good chance that neither of them are interested, and I would definitely take Gary Andersen over someone like Brent Brennan or Jay Norvell. But Andersen isn't my first choice, either. Aside from the concerns others have noted about his mental health and potential "flakiness," his record as a head coach ranges between unimpressive and poor aside from the outlier in 2012.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. Everyone needs to get passed Andersens one great season and look at the big picture of his coaching resume, not really that impressive overall. Anyone who alleges that Andersen threw his assistants under the bus, who cares? He didn't speak on anyone in particular, he could have been frustrated with one guy at the moment. Look at the coaching roster at Oregon State, McGiven, Baldwin, Clune, those are guys that many of you wanted to run out of here on rails. On the other hand, the mans loyalty to his guys might be unparalleled, to a fault perhaps, as the remainder of his coaching staff contains names that we all recognize such as Woods, Kauha'aha'a, John Rushing, Evan Simon, Zach Nyborg, Jason Thomas, Asisi, Ah You, Keeton, Lapuaho, Glover-Wright and Keegan Andersen. I doubt that anyone of those guys is really feeling betrayed at this point in time.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 11th, 2017, 8:02 am

The descriptions surrounding GA's departures are melodramatic.

For the sake of not being over the top, let's stick with facts. No one was stabbed in the back.

I'm not a fan of bringing him back, but vilification of personalities is just a way to beat the drum for your own crowd. Ditto the Wells personality harping. Wells has been awesome with me at every interaction I've had.

I know emotions are high but can we take it down a peg?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 11th, 2017, 8:14 am

Be passionate...

But not too passionate.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » October 11th, 2017, 8:52 am

Before I retire for the night (day, I'm on graveyards), it just occurred to me that there may be a third reason for GA's abrupt departure. We've postulated that it's either he's a stand-up guy or that something else is really going on. We don't see the condition as much around here because we're more into pills and opiates. Anyone wonder why GA's facial complexion has become much more flushed, especially his nose the past few years? Coaching is a very stressful profession. I have no knowledge whatsoever about the situation, but it could be that he needs to reduce his stress levels along with how he deals with those stresses.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 11th, 2017, 9:01 am

Now GA is taking substances to deal with stress?

Face-palm

I'm done. As they say in Canada, peace oot

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » October 11th, 2017, 9:01 am

I been reading this thread religiously the last couple days. I do wish GA the best at whatever his next step in his life is. When I heard the news I was shocked as the next person. He is definitely a unique man. I can sympathize with some fans wanting him back as well as the ones that don't. I feel Stanfordaggie hit it perfectly though. He really had one great season in his head coaching career. I can understand how frustrating that can be on a coach who wants nothing more than to see the kids succeed. He caught lightning in a bottle here. He tasted success along with all of us. I would bet money he regrets at some level leaving USU when he did. We all wished he stayed at least a year or two more. But it's history now and I thank him for giving me some great memories. The idea of him coming back really would not excite me as much as some. People would have high expectations from him. Honestly, I doubt he would be able to live up to those expectations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 11th, 2017, 9:08 am

aggies22 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
ChicAggie wrote: * GA took one of the worst football programs in the country and turned it into a Top 15 team that was competitive with every opponent they played for his past two seasons here. Under Wells, that same team IMMEDIATELY took a step back. While USU's overall record continued looked good for the first couple of seasons under Wells, the underlying numbers show that USU's performance went in immediate decline.

* GA showed that he knows how to recruit and win in Utah; Wells has not. Maybe GA is burned out, maybe he's not, but I would certainly rather have someone with a proven track record of success at USU with its unique challenges and opportunities than someone with a track record of failure given the same circumstances.

* Not sure where Stanford comes up with this BS that GA did two things right while at USU, and both were a matter of timing/luck. The USU team under GA was SO much more than Keeton. Keeton was about 10% of the success story. The rest was how GA got his teams to play hard and compete with more heart and guts than any USU teams I have seen before or since (and I started watching during the Bruce Snyder era in the late 70s).

As I said before, have you ever heard of regression to the mean? It's not hard to improve when your baseline is Brent Guy. Likewise when you inherit the best team in 50 years, the following season's team is more likely to be worse than better. I've said it before, but I find it weird how many of our fans remember 2012 and ignore the rest of Andersen's head coaching career. He failed at SUU, he failed at OSU, he was mediocre at Wisconsin, and he had two bad seasons and one mediocre season at USU. If there were any evidence that he has the ability to consistently win in different circumstances, I might feel differently. But when a head coach has one good season after a decade of coaching, I tend to think the more likely explanation is that the good season was a fluke. If you look at their entire coaching careers, Wells has a higher winning percentage and more bowl wins than Andersen does. (And if you throw out the Wisconsin numbers, Andersen's career winning percentage is downright ugly.)

And for the record, I didn't say that those were the only two things that Andersen did right. But I do think that there is a high probability that if Keeton hadn't decommitted from Air Force, Andersen would have had a string of sub.500 seasons and either quit or been pushed out. If you think Keeton was only 10% of the 2011/2012 teams, then you and I were watching different teams. I find it doubtful that we get to six wins in 2011 without Keeton, and there is no way that we win 11 games in 2012 without Keeton. This isn't to say that Andersen was a bad coach who just got lucky. But head coaches always get too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go poorly. Sometimes winning or losing just boils down to luck that is entirely outside of the coach's control. The Keeton case is a good example of that.
swishh_15 wrote:Aglicious, joey52, swordsman1989 and whoever else is adamantly opposed to the job being Gary's if he wanted it--

Would you take Gary over Matt Wells? Or would you rather continue to keep Wells as the coach at least until the end of his contract?

Let's say Wells isn't the coach next year (his own choice or someone else's) who then would you put as viable candidates for the job that you would take over Gary?

I agree there's definite risks with Gary and some red flags over the last few years. He may not be able to recreate that magic. But it seems to me the risks with him are a lot less than anyone else.
I'll bite. As I said before, I'm not adamantly opposed to hiring Andersen. But I definitely would not fire Wells just because Andersen might be available. I think Wells deserves to keep his job if he can get us to a bowl (and possibly if he doesn't). And even if Wells does get fired, I wouldn't automatically hand the job to Andersen if he wants it. I would want to do a thorough search and hire the best applicant, and that may or may not be Andersen. If you want the names of candidates who I would take over Andersen, right now I think both Jay Hill and Lance Anderson would be higher on my list. There is a good chance that neither of them are interested, and I would definitely take Gary Andersen over someone like Brent Brennan or Jay Norvell. But Andersen isn't my first choice, either. Aside from the concerns others have noted about his mental health and potential "flakiness," his record as a head coach ranges between unimpressive and poor aside from the outlier in 2012.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. Everyone needs to get passed Andersens one great season and look at the big picture of his coaching resume, not really that impressive overall. Anyone who alleges that Andersen threw his assistants under the bus, who cares? He didn't speak on anyone in particular, he could have been frustrated with one guy at the moment. Look at the coaching roster at Oregon State, McGiven, Baldwin, Clune, those are guys that many of you wanted to run out of here on rails. On the other hand, the mans loyalty to his guys might be unparalleled, to a fault perhaps, as the remainder of his coaching staff contains names that we all recognize such as Woods, Kauha'aha'a, John Rushing, Evan Simon, Zach Nyborg, Jason Thomas, Asisi, Ah You, Keeton, Lapuaho, Glover-Wright and Keegan Andersen. I doubt that anyone of those guys is really feeling betrayed at this point in time.
You make some excellent points but here is where I have to disagree. The Aggies had some very good skill recruits under Guy on both sides of the ball that Andersen inherited. The always seemed to have some of that in the past. But what Gary did with his Utah recruiting ties and his knack for finding blue collar kids was that he built a D and O line. Woods IMO was a huge part of that too.

Gary can still do that if he wants to and has the fire. I'm fine with him figuring out the coordinator roles. Just bring back him and Woods and the foundation can be built. We all harp with very good reason on the handling of the QB position under Wells but USU is middling to average with Chuckie Keeton and Kerrwyn Williams back there because the lines are both atrocious. Technique? Athleticism? Agility? Speed? Nastiness? We don't have one guy on either side with all of those traits and maybe one or two who can claim any of them.

I know it won't happen but when Wells is finally gone (hopefully without suffering another year of this garbage) whoever is hired needs to have the sort of background of Andersen as a guy who understands how to recruit polys, local Utah kids, use the mission program to stack up older beef, and to develop lineman. Then we need to give him 3-4 years to do this. The Weber state coach or Lamb come to mind. However if Andersen were to want it I'd take the chance. What is there to lose. The cupboard isn't completely bare and maybe with the right line and strength/agility coaches and someone that has expectations of them USU could turn this around faster than last time. The right poly JC recruits would play into this too and that is Gary's stock and trade.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 11th, 2017, 9:33 am

GA strike one, recommends Wells to Barnes for HC replacement.
GA strike two, takes OSU job ahead of Wells so he remains at USU.
GA strike three, hasn't ponied up to buyout Wells and then replace him as HC yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 11th, 2017, 9:57 am

StanfordAggie wrote:I find it doubtful that we get to six wins in 2011 without Keeton, and there is no way that we win 11 games in 2012 without Keeton.
I can agree with the second half of this statement, but the first? Chuckie only won two games in 2011. The real turn around came after he got knocked out of the Hawai'i game.

Nitpicking unimportant details aside, with regards to the rest of your statements on Andersen's effectiveness as a coach, I get where you are coming from and absolutely agree that he shouldn't be an automatic pick for a new coach if Wells is gone and he is available. I also think you're not quite giving him enough credit for what he did here. I agree that for many their image of Gary has put him at god-like status as a coach. The man had his flaws and he was not a perfect coach. But he fundamentally changed the culture here at USU during his four years. This was evidenced immediately, if not necessarily in the record then at least in the way the team fought in games, especially with the close fought games against P5 opponents (or I guess we were still calling them BCS teams back then). The teams attitude was that they would play to win every game, every down. That's a bit intangible, but I think it's still pretty real.

As for the rest, I agree that Gary has struggled at a lot of his other stops, Oregon State more than any other. There are no guarantees that he could bring the same kind of magic with him if he took over here again. Sometimes the stars just align, and other times we can struggle to do what we were doing so well before. It may be that Utah State was the ideal school for Gary and his approach and philosophy. It may be that he was massively helped with some fortuitous picks at coordinator, etc. The real wild card is where Gary is in his own head right now. I still wonder if he wouldn't benefit from some time away from the game or at least at a more low-profile position in a coaching staff. I'd love to see him come in and mentor Maile and Shaver for a year or two. When Mike Sanford came in 2012 and filled that role behind Wells, who was a first year coordinator, it seemed to have some pretty big benefits. Then he could move on to another gig that he feels suits him.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what he chooses to do and where.

AggieDude
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » October 11th, 2017, 10:07 am

I question why Gary didn't bring better coordinators in to OSU. Does he lack the connections? Was it a lack of funds? Did few want to risk coaching at a cellar dweller like OSU? Did Gary think he was the secret sauce that would make any staff/team succeed? Did Gary just take the easy road and hire people he knew? Is he too loyal to guys he's worked with in the past? Why are there all these former USU players on his staff? Were they the best men for the job or was he trying to help them out? There are too many questions surrounding his failure at OSU. He'd have to bring a pretty convincing argument to the table for me to be on board with bringing him back. Things are different this time around.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 11th, 2017, 10:14 am

AggieDude wrote:I question why Gary didn't bring better coordinators in to OSU. Does he lack the connections? Was it a lack of funds? Did few want to risk coaching at a cellar dweller like OSU? Did Gary think he was the secret sauce that would make any staff/team succeed? Did Gary just take the easy road and hire people he knew? Is he too loyal to guys he's worked with in the past? Why are there all these former USU players on his staff? Were they the best men for the job or was he trying to help them out? There are too many questions surrounding his failure at OSU. He'd have to bring a pretty convincing argument to the table for me to be on board with bringing him back. Things are different this time around.
I've actually had similar feelings about GA's assistant coach hires, even when he was at USU. There were a few that were slam dunks (Aranda, Samford), but there were a number that were questionable, including Baldwin, his initial DC hire, and then his attempt to be both HC and DC. I'm not totally convinced that he's the best judge of coaching talent.

Then again, I was usually pretty impressed with Matt Wells' coaching hires, but they have frequently come out flat (with the notable exception of Orlando).

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 11th, 2017, 10:17 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:I find it doubtful that we get to six wins in 2011 without Keeton, and there is no way that we win 11 games in 2012 without Keeton.
I can agree with the second half of this statement, but the first? Chuckie only won two games in 2011. The real turn around came after he got knocked out of the Hawai'i game.

Nitpicking unimportant details aside, with regards to the rest of your statements on Andersen's effectiveness as a coach, I get where you are coming from and absolutely agree that he shouldn't be an automatic pick for a new coach if Wells is gone and he is available. I also think you're not quite giving him enough credit for what he did here. I agree that for many their image of Gary has put him at god-like status as a coach. The man had his flaws and he was not a perfect coach. But he fundamentally changed the culture here at USU during his four years. This was evidenced immediately, if not necessarily in the record then at least in the way the team fought in games, especially with the close fought games against P5 opponents (or I guess we were still calling them BCS teams back then). The teams attitude was that they would play to win every game, every down. That's a bit intangible, but I think it's still pretty real.

As for the rest, I agree that Gary has struggled at a lot of his other stops, Oregon State more than any other. There are no guarantees that he could bring the same kind of magic with him if he took over here again. Sometimes the stars just align, and other times we can struggle to do what we were doing so well before. It may be that Utah State was the ideal school for Gary and his approach and philosophy. It may be that he was massively helped with some fortuitous picks at coordinator, etc. The real wild card is where Gary is in his own head right now. I still wonder if he wouldn't benefit from some time away from the game or at least at a more low-profile position in a coaching staff. I'd love to see him come in and mentor Maile and Shaver for a year or two. When Mike Sanford came in 2012 and filled that role behind Wells, who was a first year coordinator, it seemed to have some pretty big benefits. Then he could move on to another gig that he feels suits him.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what he chooses to do and where.
I agree with this. You could tell in our First game against Utah (I think that's who we played) that this was a different culture and attitude. And we competed in most all games at a consistent level that we never had before. He was the perfect fit for USU, and I think he would have at least had the same number of wins in 2013 (9) and 2014 (10) if not better... that's 3 great seasons. Who knows from there, but I really believed that if he would have stayed we could have been a situation similar to the great Boise teams.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 11th, 2017, 10:21 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
AggieDude wrote:I question why Gary didn't bring better coordinators in to OSU. Does he lack the connections? Was it a lack of funds? Did few want to risk coaching at a cellar dweller like OSU? Did Gary think he was the secret sauce that would make any staff/team succeed? Did Gary just take the easy road and hire people he knew? Is he too loyal to guys he's worked with in the past? Why are there all these former USU players on his staff? Were they the best men for the job or was he trying to help them out? There are too many questions surrounding his failure at OSU. He'd have to bring a pretty convincing argument to the table for me to be on board with bringing him back. Things are different this time around.
I've actually had similar feelings about GA's assistant coach hires, even when he was at USU. There were a few that were slam dunks (Aranda, Samford), but there were a number that were questionable, including Baldwin, his initial DC hire, and then his attempt to be both HC and DC. I'm not totally convinced that he's the best judge of coaching talent.

Then again, I was usually pretty impressed with Matt Wells' coaching hires, but they have frequently come out flat (with the notable exception of Orlando).
Good stuff BBD!
The one thing with Orlando is he inherited a defense and a system that was arguably one of the best in the country, stacked with a lot of talent and speed at every position. I often forget how good our D used to be.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 11th, 2017, 10:38 am

If you’re comparing GA to MW you have to take into consideration the schedule GA was playing versus those that MW is playing. Comparing records isn’t exactly and apples to apples comparison. This year’s team would easily win 6-7 games in that WAC.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 11th, 2017, 10:38 am

AndroidAggie wrote:The descriptions surrounding GA's departures are melodramatic.

For the sake of not being over the top, let's stick with facts. No one was stabbed in the back.

I'm not a fan of bringing him back, but vilification of personalities is just a way to beat the drum for your own crowd. Ditto the Wells personality harping. Wells has been awesome with me at every interaction I've had.

I know emotions are high but can we take it down a peg?
GA started using these substances when he made some connections with the Cartel in Logan. He's had a steady supply since.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 11th, 2017, 10:45 am

Elkaggie wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
I can agree with the second half of this statement, but the first? Chuckie only won two games in 2011. The real turn around came after he got knocked out of the Hawai'i game. Nitpicking unimportant details aside, with regards to the rest of your statements on Andersen's effectiveness as a coach, I get where you are coming from and absolutely agree that he shouldn't be an automatic pick for a new coach if Wells is gone and he is available. I also think you're not quite giving him enough credit for what he did here. I agree that for many their image of Gary has put him at god-like status as a coach. The man had his flaws and he was not a perfect coach. But he fundamentally changed the culture here at USU during his four years. This was evidenced immediately, if not necessarily in the record then at least in the way the team fought in games, especially with the close fought games against P5 opponents (or I guess we were still calling them BCS teams back then). The teams attitude was that they would play to win every game, every down. That's a bit intangible, but I think it's still pretty real. As for the rest, I agree that Gary has struggled at a lot of his other stops, Oregon State more than any other. There are no guarantees that he could bring the same kind of magic with him if he took over here again. Sometimes the stars just align, and other times we can struggle to do what we were doing so well before. It may be that Utah State was the ideal school for Gary and his approach and philosophy. It may be that he was massively helped with some fortuitous picks at coordinator, etc. The real wild card is where Gary is in his own head right now. I still wonder if he wouldn't benefit from some time away from the game or at least at a more low-profile position in a coaching staff. I'd love to see him come in and mentor Maile and Shaver for a year or two. When Mike Sanford came in 2012 and filled that role behind Wells, who was a first year coordinator, it seemed to have some pretty big benefits. Then he could move on to another gig that he feels suits him. Either way, it will be interesting to see what he chooses to do and where.
I agree with this. You could tell in our First game against Utah (I think that's who we played) that this was a different culture and attitude. And we competed in most all games at a consistent level that we never had before. He was the perfect fit for USU, and I think he would have at least had the same number of wins in 2013 (9) and 2014 (10) if not better... that's 3 great seasons. Who knows from there, but I really believed that if he would have stayed we could have been a situation similar to the great Boise teams.
Reversion to mean or whatever metaphor you want to use aside to describe MW's screwing of what appeared to be an unscrewable pooch, GA turned a program around that was perennially a loser and made kids he could and did recruit believe that winning/competing was achievable. No matter who they played.

MW broke our shiny toy and has now lost the confidence of all but a very few Ag fans. The players barely even believe anymore.

I'm bringing it out again:
It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 11th, 2017, 11:09 am

YIPPIE 10 pages!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 11th, 2017, 11:11 am

At least now we have something to talk about that is exciting and brings passion to the fan base!! Tell me when you felt this way about Matt Wells?

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 11th, 2017, 11:27 am

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:Who has the best over-analyzation of this Chuckie tweet?

GA will take the rest of the season off. OSU will hire Wells at the end of the season, which will leave us without a coach...

No major problems with MW, but GA is the dude.

I'm not going to tell GA what to do or anything, but IMO he needs to worry less about being a big time football coach and just settle in for a legendary career here at USU.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » October 11th, 2017, 12:02 pm

There is no way Scott Barnes moves Wells to OSU. None.

There are really three possibilities:

1. Wells and the team right the ship, have a winning season and go to a bowl game. This results in Wells leaving USU for either a lateral move (like a Tulsa-like program) or even a better job (there are plenty that have way less challenges than USU).

2. Wells and the team win a few, lose a few and we finish around 500 and no bowl game. The team and admin talks about improvements made this year vs last and this results in Wells staying for another year short of the energy from donors to buy him out.

3. The team tanks it bad and we finish with another 3 or 4 win season. This would result in high energy from donors for a buy out and we "mutually" part ways.

I am hoping for the best case for Coach Wells and USU and number 1 happens. I personally have had nothing but good experiences in my interactions with Coach Wells and hate to see how things have turned so Toxic for a man that loved his school and was able to get his "dream" job and coach at it. I keep reading about people talking about how he has lost the team, but every parent or friend of a player I speak to disagrees with that.

I still have hope!

GO AGGIES.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm

I always pick success over failure. I don't want Wells to fail. When he fails, we fail. JFW.

I don't know what has happened over the last two years, but Wells appears to have lost his teams the previous two seasons and may still do so again this year.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 11th, 2017, 1:35 pm

TheConspirator wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:Why exactly would he have to take him to Wisconsin if he didn’t want him? Ridiculous argument.
This could be true, but we'll never know for sure. However you did avoid the part of my statement which we do know for sure.
Wells has said on the air that if he hadn't been offered the Utah State position he would've gone to Wisconsin with Gary. Gary wanted him, but felt like it would be best for Matt's career to move up to the Head Coaching ranks and he recommended him for that job. Had USU not offered, he would've been in Wiscy.

So there's that...

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 11th, 2017, 1:42 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:There is no way Scott Barnes moves Wells to OSU. None.

1. Wells and the team right the ship, have a winning season and go to a bowl game. This results in Wells leaving USU for either a lateral move (like a Tulsa-like program) or even a better job (there are plenty that have way less challenges than USU).

2. Wells and the team win a few, lose a few and we finish around 500 and no bowl game. The team and admin talks about improvements made this year vs last and this results in Wells staying for another year short of the energy from donors to buy him out.

3. The team tanks it bad and we finish with another 3 or 4 win season. This would result in high energy from donors for a buy out and we "mutually" part ways.

I am hoping for the best case for Coach Wells and USU and number 1 happens. I personally have had nothing but good experiences in my interactions with Coach Wells and hate to see how things have turned so Toxic for a man that loved his school and was able to get his "dream" job and coach at it. I keep reading about people talking about how he has lost the team, but every parent or friend of a player I speak to disagrees with that.

I still have hope!

GO AGGIES.

You have not read this board very long to think that every parent or friend of a player thinks Well's hasn't lost the team. In my opinion, Wells didn't think he would be here this long. (Midwest Team in the Big 12?)

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 11th, 2017, 2:01 pm

RigAggie wrote:
BigBlueAggie wrote:There is no way Scott Barnes moves Wells to OSU. None.

I still have hope!

GO AGGIES.

You have not read this board very long to think that every parent or friend of a player thinks Well's hasn't lost the team. In my opinion, Wells didn't think he would be here this long. (Midwest Team in the Big 12?)
:notworthy:

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 11th, 2017, 2:08 pm

I'm sure the starting QB's parents would agree that Wells has most certainly not lost the team.

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » October 11th, 2017, 2:13 pm

There is a difference in credibility between what I read on a message board and what I hear in face to face conversations. I have yet to have any of the later where they said anything bad about Coach Wells.

And if I believed every wonderful thing written on this board...

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 11th, 2017, 2:20 pm

treesap32 wrote:
TheConspirator wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:Why exactly would he have to take him to Wisconsin if he didn’t want him? Ridiculous argument.
This could be true, but we'll never know for sure. However you did avoid the part of my statement which we do know for sure.
Wells has said on the air that if he hadn't been offered the Utah State position he would've gone to Wisconsin with Gary. Gary wanted him, but felt like it would be best for Matt's career to move up to the Head Coaching ranks and he recommended him for that job. Had USU not offered, he would've been in Wiscy.

So there's that...
I'm not so sure. Coach Wells had been offered the OC spot at North Carolina State as well. I think this is where he was actually headed if he hadn't been offered the USU job.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 11th, 2017, 2:38 pm

RigAggie wrote:At least now we have something to talk about that is exciting and brings passion to the fan base!! Tell me when you felt this way about Matt Wells?
It seems that much of this thread is still about Matt.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 11th, 2017, 2:45 pm

[quote="aggies22"][quote="treesap32"][quote="TheConspirator"][quote="bluegrouse"]Why exactly would he have to take him to Wisconsin if he didn’t want him? Ridiculous argument.[/quote]
This could be true, but we'll never know for sure. However you did avoid the part of my statement which we do know for sure.[/quote]

So there's that...[/quote]

I'm not so sure. Coach Wells had been offered the OC spot at North Carolina State as well. I think this is where he was actually headed if he hadn't been offered the USU job.[/quote]

The point of this is that Gary wanted Wells at Wisconsin and he gave him a great recommendation for the job at Utah State. Not something he would have done if he didn’t like him as has been suggested. Whether Wells would have accepted another job somewhere else is irrelevant.

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » October 11th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Just want to say Im proud of everyone for keeping this thread going. You guys have really dug in and got work done. Fires me up. Tremendous job. Good deal ya got here. Keep at it.

72AgGrad

Post by 72AgGrad » October 11th, 2017, 3:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:You Gary worshippers can't see the forests for the trees. He is not in a good place physically and/or emotionally. My guess he is burnt out and will NEVER be a head coach again. He also is good friends with Sitake and could take a minor role there in a year or so. Let it rest, leave the man alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I quite agree with your guess that GA has suffered a major burn out. We did see the same with Urban Meyer, and we did see that he came back to be a successful HC, so it is possible, but a year or two away from the game would probably be immensely helpful to Gary. Maybe he'll want to get back in, maybe not, but it should be left to him.
Us agreeing on something is a rarity, though welcome.

You have no freaking clue what place Gary is in mentally of physically.

We said it was a guess.

72AgGrad

Post by 72AgGrad » October 11th, 2017, 3:56 pm

bleu wrote:Amazing how many people we have on this board who know Gary closely and personally enough to know that he's "burned out" and not in a good mental state and needs a break from coaching. Thanks for all the inside info, guys!
If you are referring to what Jjoey said, with which I agreed, we said it was a guess.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 11th, 2017, 4:14 pm

72AgGrad wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:You Gary worshippers can't see the forests for the trees. He is not in a good place physically and/or emotionally. My guess he is burnt out and will NEVER be a head coach again. He also is good friends with Sitake and could take a minor role there in a year or so. Let it rest, leave the man alone.

I quite agree with your guess that GA has suffered a major burn out. We did see the same with Urban Meyer, and we did see that he came back to be a successful HC, so it is possible, but a year or two away from the game would probably be immensely helpful to Gary. Maybe he'll want to get back in, maybe not, but it should be left to him.

We said it was a guess.
Sure about that?
You Gary worshippers can't see the forests for the trees. He is not in a good place physically and/or emotionally

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 11th, 2017, 4:56 pm

2004AG wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:

True, and neither do you. The guy quit a job mid season and left 11 mil on the table, plus his history of leaving other places indicates something though, I am at a loss as to what.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 11th, 2017, 5:02 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:If you’re comparing GA to MW you have to take into consideration the schedule GA was playing versus those that MW is playing. Comparing records isn’t exactly and apples to apples comparison. This year’s team would easily win 6-7 games in that WAC.

But this years team would get creamed by La Tech 2012.

Locked Previous topicNext topic