Proposition

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggs&Jazz12

Proposition

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » October 9th, 2017, 1:06 pm

If I'm in charge of the stagnant O, this is what I do for this upcoming game:

1-Sit Jordan Love down, let him know he's starting, and playing all game with no chance of getting yanked. We need him to be a gunslinger and take shots, reward our receiving weapons.
2-Get the Receivers amped up, this is their time to shine and we're feeding them big time this game.
3-Hold a closet mtg with the D. Let them know how integral they've been to our wins so far, that we had hoped we would be able to get things rolling with what we were doing, but we couldn't. And now, things really are changing. New personnel, new game plan for the O, and we need them reenergized and excited that the offense is really going to take shots and pull their own. Everyone needs to step up.
4-Come out swinging for the fence. Take Vertical shots and attack the middle of the field from Love's rocket to our more capable vertical threats like Tarver, Dax, and co. convince Wyoming's DC that it's too risky to play man cvg and pack the box like everyone is doing against us right now. If Love throws a pick, so be it, we'll deal with it. Don't back down. This will hopefully open up the flats, and (wait for it...) the run game for the first real time!
5-start mixing in some run game, and some screens, etc. target holes of a zone defense, and continue taking shots. Honestly, the play-calling should look pretty similar to what CSU did in the 1st quarter against us.
6-Finally, use KM between 2-8 times, strictly as a wildcat QB. These are designated plays to limit the # of reads he has to do, because he can't really do them. When he runs with a purpose, he really can be a weapon.

We can't just keep doing the same thing over and over again. Can't imagine how frustrating and motivation-sapping it must be for the rest of the team to just see the same thing over and over again.
Last edited by Aggs&Jazz12 on October 9th, 2017, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggs&Jazz12

Re: Proposition

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » October 9th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Please comment if you would make changes to the plan..,

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 9th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Step 0: Hire Gary Anderson

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 9th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:If I'm in charge of the stagnant O, this is what I do for this upcoming game:

1-Sit Jordan Love down, let him know he's starting, and playing all game with no chance of getting yanked. We need him to be a gunslinger and take shots, reward our receiving weapons.
2-Get the Receivers amped up, this is their time to shine and we're feeding them big time this game.
3-Hold a closet mtg with the D. Let me know how integral they've been to our wins so far, that we had hoped we would be able to get things rolling with what we were doing, but we couldn't. And now, things really are changing. New personnel, new game plan for the O, and we need them reenergized and excited that the offense is really going to take shots and pull their own. Everyone needs to step up.
4-Come out swinging for the fence. Take Vertical shots and attack the middle of the field from Love's rocket to our more capable vertical threats like Tarver, Dax, and co. convince Wyoming's DC that it's too risky to play man cvg and pack the box like everyone is doing against us right now. If Love throws a pick, so be it, we'll deal with it. Don't back down. This will hopefully open up the flats, and (wait for it...) the run game for the first real time!
5-start mixing in some run game, and some screens, etc. target holes of a zone defense, and continue taking shots. Honestly, the play-calling should look pretty similar to what CSU did in the 1st quarter against us.
6-Finally, use KM between 2-8 times, strictly as a wildcat QB. These are designated plays to limit the # of reads he has to do, because he can't really do them. When he runs with a purpose, he really can be a weapon.

We can't just keep doing the same thing over and over again. Can't imagine how frustrating and motivation-sapping it must be for the rest of the team to just see the same thing over and over again.
I pretty much agree with everything, but I'm not sure I'd play Myers as a wildcat QB. He hates running and hates getting hit. He's started over 30 games now. He's had his chances.

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » October 9th, 2017, 2:45 pm

+1000

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » October 9th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Oh and add Fire Wells and hire Gary, as well.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » October 9th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Might be a good plan but you are betting the season on this game. This is a must win for a bowl so not sure I would make this the place to break someone in. It would be great to see someone like Love that can throw the ball downfield. Still not sure he is ready to run the offense. I hope he is. I would never promise him the whole game. Wells knows his job is on the line and there is a reason he has not played Love. Why is that? The "stubborn" answer is pretty artificial. I am ready for a QB change but not sure we have the guy on the bench that we need to step in.

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » October 9th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Gomretat:
If you look at our Offensive first half statistics... take away JLove's 11 yard run and the targeting penalty, and suddenly you see that KM was responsible for 29 total offensive yards. 9 of those was that ridiculous fumble/pitch to Tarver. 29 yards! One first down, against a "below average" defense... Switching QB personnel is no longer the "risky" thing to do. It is the only reasonable thing to do.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 9th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Matt will be here until a) he decides to leave b) Laub says it’s time to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

AggieDude
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » October 10th, 2017, 8:36 am

TheAKAggie wrote:Matt will be here until a) he decides to leave b) Laub says it’s time to go

:stirpot:

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » October 10th, 2017, 9:15 am

AggieDude wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:Matt will be here until a) he decides to leave b) Laub says it’s time to go

Not really, he’s one of the few who would be able to put up the coin to but him out. The others I know (don’t know Laub) have no interest in putting up the buy out money.

Hail Aggies!

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » October 10th, 2017, 1:29 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
AggieDude wrote:

Not really, he’s one of the few who would be able to put up the coin to but him out. The others I know (don’t know Laub) have no interest in putting up the buy out money.

You'll have to forgive me for not knowing if and when you're being serious. :)

Interesting point, btw.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » October 10th, 2017, 2:04 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:Matt will be here until a) he decides to leave b) Laub says it’s time to g

You obviously don't know Jim Laub......not his style or way of supporting Aggie Athletics.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 10th, 2017, 2:11 pm

If and when Wells goes its time to start fresh. When Gary was hired there were many here who wanted to hire John L back. That would’ve been a huge mistake so would bringing Gary back.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 10th, 2017, 4:39 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:If and when Wells goes its time to start fresh. When Gary was hired there were many here who wanted to hire John L back. That would’ve been a huge mistake so would bringing Gary back.

I honestly had the exact same thought yesterday when I was reading through all of this.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 10th, 2017, 4:46 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:If and when Wells goes its time to start fresh. When Gary was hired there were many here who wanted to hire John L back. That would’ve been a huge mistake so would bringing Gary back.

Yep

bullshot

Post by bullshot » October 10th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I am all for hiring Andersen if we can get the same sweet arrangement Oregon State got. He forgave $16 million until year 2021. Is this over the top honorable or over the top CRAZY? Opinions?

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 10th, 2017, 9:13 pm

You forgot about the O line. What are you going to do with them to all of a sudden protect the QB and start opening up holes in the run game?

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » October 10th, 2017, 9:33 pm

AggieDude wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
AggieDude wrote:

You'll have to forgive me for not knowing if and when you're being serious. :)

Interesting point, btw.
Bro, I wrote it in the new iOS 11 sarcasm font!

Hail Aggies!

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » October 10th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Elkaggie wrote:You forgot about the O line. What are you going to do with them to all of a sudden protect the QB and start opening up holes in the run game?
The O-line is hard... They've certainly been underwhelming at times, and if they were awesome, some of our problems would solve themselves. However, how do you ask 5 O-lineman to jumpstart a run game when opposing teams can pack the box with 7 guys? Also, KM seems to have developed the ability to sack himself even with fair protection. Just saying...

Truthfully, if the other parts of the plan work, the O-line's job would become significantly easier, which is why that's where the focus of the plan was.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 11th, 2017, 10:03 am

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:You forgot about the O line. What are you going to do with them to all of a sudden protect the QB and start opening up holes in the run game?
The O-line is hard... They've certainly been underwhelming at times, and if they were awesome, some of our problems would solve themselves. However, how do you ask 5 O-lineman to jumpstart a run game when opposing teams can pack the box with 7 guys? Also, KM seems to have developed the ability to sack himself even with fair protection. Just saying...

Truthfully, if the other parts of the plan work, the O-line's job would become significantly easier, which is why that's where the focus of the plan was.
haha, just like CSU did? They dominated us, never blitzed or stacked the box. Their 4 D lineman manhandled us at the LOS. Hopefully getting Shawn Taylor back will help, but who knows. Our O line play the last few years has been atrocious. I agree that if they were awesome, some (or most) of our problems would solve themselves. IMO the most important units on the field are both lines.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 11th, 2017, 10:25 am

O-line still has issues, but I think we are much better with Farmer than we were with Weber. Keep in mind that we are still actively training a pretty much all new O-line this year, many of whom have never played the position before, and none of whom have played together before this year. There are going to be growing pains, but there have also been signs of improvement at times. Just need to start seeing those sign more consistently.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 11th, 2017, 11:14 am

BigBlueDart wrote:O-line still has issues, but I think we are much better with Farmer than we were with Weber. Keep in mind that we are still actively training a pretty much all new O-line this year, many of whom have never played the position before, and none of whom have played together before this year. There are going to be growing pains, but there have also been signs of improvement at times. Just need to start seeing those sign more consistently.
I'm not seeing it. The one thing we did better under Weber was pass protect. Remember the 2014 BYU win in particular where he went max protect and took advantage of the speed on the outside and double moves. Yeah good edge teams like USC ate them up but these guys are getting dominated by everyone on the outside and have just plain (I can't express myself without swearing) technique and agility.

Give me a stat to back up the line in Weber's last year with Chuckie and Kent back there. Yeah, Hunter Sharp and Devonte Mays helped. I'll give you that.

The lines on both sides are atrocious. You can point to a 3 man line vs. the CSU 4 man front and their different roles but they are not getting it done creating any leverage or double teams. And they don't have the end athletes to go to a 4 man front. All their LBs are tweeners for that role and there ends don't have the athleticism to be both the pass rush and maintain contain.

The O-line. Our tackles get worked by everyone with any semblance of a pass rush move.

captain68

Post by captain68 » October 11th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:If I'm in charge of the stagnant O, this is what I do for this upcoming game:

3-Hold a closet mtg with the D. Let them know how integral they've been to our wins so far, that we had hoped we would be able to get things rolling with what we were doing, but we couldn't. And now, things really are changing. New personnel, new game plan for the O, and we need them reenergized and excited that the offense is really going to take shots and pull their own. Everyone needs to step up.

If I won the lottery, this is what I would buy....

That's what this post reminds me of. Every game I sit in the stands hoping that Wells will mix things up a bit, maybe do some of the things mentioned in the post above, but every game it's the same old ineffective things that I knew deep down would happen.

I feel like the old man watching TV, waiting for my lottery numbers to be read, knowing full well that the chances of it happening are slim to none, but still have a fools hope week after week, trying to envision all the nice things I would buy if it ever came to be.

Trust me nothing will change with USU Football until Matt wells is gone. Anyone who thinks differently is nuts.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 11th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:Please comment if you would make changes to the plan..,

Scrape that plan it does not address what the real problems are with this team.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » October 11th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Agree with all of this except I think on #6 you meant to say lut Hobbs in as wildcat. Last season he was really the only one with connsistent success scoring in the red zone.

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » October 11th, 2017, 6:29 pm

oleblu111 wrote:

Which are..? I have no issues with you disagreeing with me, but at least have some substance to go along with it.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 11th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Which are..? I have no issues with you disagreeing with me, but at least have some substance to go along with it.
Probably alumni donations.

Locked Previous topicNext topic