Kent Myers is 5-18 in his last 23 games against FBS teams

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 19th, 2017, 10:28 am

There still seems to be some on here who don't get this, so I wanted to highlight it. Kent Myers is 5-18 in his last 23 games against FBS opponents. 20 of those games were against G5 teams. Since members of the coaching staff apparently read the board, I wanted to highlight this for them too.

L @ San Diego State 48-14
W vs. Wyoming 58-27
L @ New Mexico 14-13
L @ Air Force 35-28
L vs. BYU 51-28
L vs. Akron 23-21

L @ USC 45-7
W vs. Arkansas State 34-20
L vs. Air Force 27-20
L @ Boise State 21-10
L @ Colorado State 31-24
W vs. Fresno State 38-20
L vs. San Diego State 40-13
L @ Wyoming 52-28
L vs. New Mexico 24-21
L @ Nevada 38-37
L @ BYU 28-10

L @ Wisconsin 59-10
L @ Wake Forest 46-10
W @ San Jose State 61-10
W vs. BYU 40-24
L vs. Colorado State 27-14
L vs. Wyoming 28-23

*Note - In 2015 the 2nd to last game of the year against Nevada was a win, but Kent Myers went 0-2 and then left the game the first drive and Chuckie came in and played the whole game and won.

Apparently according to many I should be satisfied with this though and hopeful that things will eventually improve? I should also trust the coaching staff that will 100% for sure trot this guy out as the starter yet again this Saturday? I could see it if there really wasn't any talent around him on the team, but I don't believe that to be the case.

Roy McAvoy

Re: Kent Myers is 5-18 in his last 23 games against FBS team

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 19th, 2017, 10:47 am

In fact, I'm taking this a step further. I'm looking at the final s&p+ ranking of the teams Kent Myers has beaten on this list. Arkansas State is Kent Myers' only win against teams ranked in the top 113 teams in college football in his last 25 starts.

2015 - Wyoming (2-10, ranked #114)
2016 - Arkansas State (8-5 ranked #80)
2016 - Fresno State (1-11 ranked #116)
2017 - San Jose State (1-7 ranked #124)
2017 - BYU (1-6 ranked #116)
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 19th, 2017, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wannabe_coach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wannabe_coach » October 19th, 2017, 10:48 am

RIGHT!!!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 19th, 2017, 12:38 pm

swishh_15 wrote:In fact, I'm taking this a step further. I'm looking at the final s&p+ ranking of the teams Kent Myers has beaten on this list. Arkansas State is Kent Myers' only win against teams ranked in the top 113 teams in college football in his last 25 starts.

Yikes.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 19th, 2017, 12:58 pm

IMNSHO Myers should never see another snap this season. The biggest problem with all of this is that MW mental block concerning benching senior QBs make him not give first team snaps to Love all week. Many of the drops of Love's passes have been because they are not expecting a quarterback to actually get it to them or the velocity/angle/etc is off from what Myers is capable of throwing. If Love gets few snaps during the week and isn't practicing with the first team, then come gameday when Wells feels compelled to put Love in because Myers is flailing and failing once again, we'll have the same dropsies problems. Not because they can't catch them, but they have limited game practice snaps expecting them from Love.

Sometimes I wish the AD would step in and give the coach ultimatum. He is his boss after all. Even if the hope is salvaging the fanbase and Hartwell spends even one minute reading posts here, in chat, and comments in the papers, he would know that MW bullheadedness is losing fans. How many rabid USU fans that used to post here are slowly trickling away (and we are the stupid loyal even in suckiness fans)? If I were the AD, I would tell him he has to play Love the whole game. If he refuses an order from a superior, isn't that a reason for severance with cause? I guess I don't know whether operational sovereignty is written into coaches contracts or whether the AD can mandate personnel changes.

</end rant, but I am pretty fed up with the MW+KM product>

Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 19th, 2017, 1:04 pm

I disagree with having an AD step in and dictate how a coach runs his team. I get the frustration and the looking for someone to fix the situation, but that's not how the Athletic Director-Head Coach relationship should work. The AD can specify required outcomes and discipline/praise/fire/extend contracts based on how well a coach produces the desired outcomes, but in no way should he ever decide to become the coach, himself.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 19th, 2017, 8:23 pm

swishh_15 wrote:In fact, I'm taking this a step further. I'm looking at the final s&p+ ranking of the teams Kent Myers has beaten on this list. Arkansas State is Kent Myers' only win against teams ranked in the top 113 teams in college football in his last 25 starts.

I'm glad you posted this deeper look. I had my similar post all ready to go in my head before I read your follow up! Seriously, anyone who can't see that KM only has one respectable win under his belt over the last almost 3 seasons I believe is beyond help.

Edit* since BSU 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 19th, 2017, 10:05 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:I disagree with having an AD step in and dictate how a coach runs his team. I get the frustration and the looking for someone to fix the situation, but that's not how the Athletic Director-Head Coach relationship should work. The AD can specify required outcomes and discipline/praise/fire/extend contracts based on how well a coach produces the desired outcomes, but in no way should he ever decide to become the coach, himself.
You are most certainly right, but is is so blasted frustrating that every person on planet earth can see the need for change, whether from the eyeball test or from solid statistics and historical tracking, except the head coach of the football team. Sometime I wonder whether Yost is complicit in still playing KM or if he is spending every afternoon in the fax room sending his resume (minus this year) to all corners of football-dom.

Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

dogie

Post by dogie » October 20th, 2017, 6:52 am

WAaggieFan wrote:

I'm glad you posted this deeper look. I had my similar post all ready to go in my head before I read your follow up! Seriously, anyone who can't see that KM only has one respectable win under his belt over the last almost 3 seasons I believe is beyond help.

Edit* since BSU 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Arkansas State game, although a win, was about the least impressive victory I can remember. USU has a 24-0 lead at halftime. Arkansas State fumbled at their own 9 and 25 yard lines in the first half, leading to two Aggie touchdowns. ASU was penalized 18 times during the game, and their coaching staff seemed to encourage their unfocused, undisciplined antics.

I remember thinking, about halfway during the second quarter, that ASU had to be the worst FBS team in the country and that they weren’t going to win all season (their Sun Belt schedule proved me wrong). Despite how bad ASU looked, the Aggies had to hold on for the victory (34-20) after the Red Wolves pulled within a touchdown near the end of the game.

ASU ended up outgaining USU. Myers finished 11-25 for 136 yards, 1 TD pass (after the fumble on the 9) and one interception. It’s shocking to now read that this was his best victory in the past 2 full seasons.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 20th, 2017, 7:55 am

BigBlueDart wrote:I disagree with having an AD step in and dictate how a coach runs his team. I get the frustration and the looking for someone to fix the situation, but that's not how the Athletic Director-Head Coach relationship should work. The AD can specify required outcomes and discipline/praise/fire/extend contracts based on how well a coach produces the desired outcomes, but in no way should he ever decide to become the coach, himself.
Completely agree. The AD needs to leave the job of coaching the team to the coach he hired. If the desired metrics aren't met then the AD finds a new head coach. No coach wants to work for an AD who interferes by telling the coach who should and shouldn't play, what type of schemes to run, etc.. This would make it difficult to recruit a new head coach.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 20th, 2017, 8:10 am

Eight of these games were decided by 7 points or less. Our record in those close games behind KM: 0-8.

Nobody here knows anything.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 20th, 2017, 9:09 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Completely agree. The AD needs to leave the job of coaching the team to the coach he hired. If the desired metrics aren't met then the AD finds a new head coach. No coach wants to work for an AD who interferes by telling the coach who should and shouldn't play, what type of schemes to run, etc.. This would make it difficult to recruit a new head coach.
Agree. If things are to the point the AD is getting involved in such decisions, then the coach needs to be fired or the AD is meddling and needs to go.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 20th, 2017, 9:16 am

yikes...

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 20th, 2017, 9:25 am

Barry Alvarez says that Hartwell should call the plays too.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 20th, 2017, 9:43 am

NVAggie wrote:Barry Alvarez says that Hartwell should call the plays too.
How about Hartwell just let Barry text him what plays to call.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 20th, 2017, 11:16 am

jpswensen wrote:
You are most certainly right, but is is so blasted frustrating that every person on planet earth can see the need for change, whether from the eyeball test or from solid statistics and historical tracking, except the head coach of the football team. Sometime I wonder whether Yost is complicit in still playing KM or if he is spending every afternoon in the fax room sending his resume (minus this year) to all corners of football-dom.
I was kind of assuming that your statement was more just venting frustration than a serious proposal for action. I just have an obsessive compulsive need to spell things out sometimes.

Locked Previous topicNext topic