New Big Sky Conference:

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

New Big Sky Conference:

Post by ViAggie » October 23rd, 2017, 2:30 pm

Just for fun:

The Big Sky is huge... it needs to get bigger, here is my new Big Sky Proposal:

Northern Sky

Idaho*
Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State
Idaho State
Northern Colorado
North Dakota
Portland State

Southern Sky

Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Weber State
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
San Jose State*
New Mexico State*
BYU**

*New Inductees
**FB only

Now that's a cool looking conference! Glad we're not in it :joking:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AggieSkiBum
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Big Sky Conference:

Post by AggieSkiBum » October 24th, 2017, 9:57 am

I enjoyed the laugh, thanks. I don't know if any of these schools would be up for it though. Idaho and NMSU seem to have found a stable home in the "Funbelt". San Jose may be absolutely terrible now, but didn't they have a ten win season just a few years ago? Pretty sure they've been around since the 1850-60s too.

BYu-p will never join a conference again. Their arrogant delusions of grandeur won't allow it. They have a collective hate of all things MWC, which is hilarious. They're "Power Five", even though they probably wouldn't even win the Big Sky this year. They assume they're too good for the "lowly MW" and assume they would win the conference title. They currently sit at 0-2 in said conference, and they've just started. I'm gonna be rooting hard for the MWC teams on their schedule the rest of the season, staring with San Jose this Saturday. After a few more years of losing seasons and independence, they'll just cancel sports altogether. Would the Big Sky member schools even want these schools as members lol?

This will give UVU the in they need. Any self-respecting Que-Grrrr would never disgrace themselves by rooting for "Dirty Yewts", or a "Third Rate Cow School", so UVU will step up to meet that need by starting a football program. I bet BYu-p would even sell off LES at a huge discount. UVU football coming to LES in the near future ... :P
Last edited by AggieSkiBum on October 24th, 2017, 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 24th, 2017, 10:00 am

SkiBum, I don't think you're up to speed. Idaho and NMSU are getting kicked out of the Sunbelt. Idaho is joining the Big Sky, starting next year (for football, they're already in the Big Sky for other sports). I'm not sure what NMSU's immediate plan is for next season.

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » October 24th, 2017, 10:06 am

Interesting, thanks. Once the WAC moved on, Idaho and NMSU were left out to dry. Does this mean NMSU shuts down their athletics? Man am I glad USU got picked up by the MW. I wasn't an Aggie then, but weren't the years of independence/sunbelt a dark time for USU?

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » October 24th, 2017, 10:13 am

They were indeed a dark time, and I'm guessing that dark times are ahead for NMSU unless they can wrangle themselves an invite to the MWC or C-USA. NMSU's other sports are still in the WAC, by the way. It will just be football that will have to go independent for them. The WAC isn't the ideal conference for their other sports, though. Not the with its current makeup.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » October 24th, 2017, 10:36 am

As an Aggie fan, I'd love to see BYU in the Big Sky, but as a current U of Northern Colorado student, well.... I just don't want them anywhere near me lol

USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » October 24th, 2017, 10:39 am

I'll have to read up on the state of the Funbelt. Was having those two schools costing them too much money? It wouldn't be that bad for NMSU to join the MW, but then who else would join to balance the conference out? Would the MW have an uneven number of teams and play a conference championship anyway? If we have Hawaii for football only, would the MW add another football only school? If NMSU joins, and the MW wants more football schools, would Idaho stay FBS, or would BYu-p be let back in (gross:()? Maybe another Big Sky school goes up to FBS? This could all get interesting.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 24th, 2017, 11:10 am

welp, perhaps we should throw NMSU a bone... and drop byu from our schedule so that they can pick up a game with the SAggies.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 24th, 2017, 11:52 am

Leave honor code college OUT of the MWC at all costs. I don't get this talk of letting them join the conference. Again, I'm sure I'm being very petty but they did us NO favors in helping us find a home. It would be asinine for us to have a hand in bailing them out. Eye for an eye.

Miguk Aggie

Post by Miguk Aggie » October 26th, 2017, 9:31 am

Idaho and NMSU were kicked out of the Sun Belt because they no longer needed them. The Sun Belt added schools that upgraded from FCS and made more geographical sense. As stated earlier in this thread, Idaho will return to the Big Sky and NMSU, they will remain in the FBS but as an independent in 2018.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » October 26th, 2017, 9:58 am

To be clear, Idaho and NMSU were not kicked out, per se. They had a trial arrangement with the Sun Belt, and the conference has decided not to keep them since they've been able to pick up more geographical conference mates during that time.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 26th, 2017, 10:16 am

AggieSkiBum wrote:I'll have to read up on the state of the Funbelt. Was having those two schools costing them too much money? It wouldn't be that bad for NMSU to join the MW, but then who else would join to balance the conference out? Would the MW have an uneven number of teams and play a conference championship anyway? If we have Hawaii for football only, would the MW add another football only school? If NMSU joins, and the MW wants more football schools, would Idaho stay FBS, or would BYu-p be let back in (gross:()? Maybe another Big Sky school goes up to FBS? This could all get interesting.
The situation with Hawaii is tenuous. Their athletic department chronically runs a huge budget deficit. Aloha stadium is a dump, and continues to deteriorate. I think at some point, they're going to have to face the music and drop FBS football, at least. At that point, I wouldn't object to picking up NMSU. BYU doesn't want to come back to the MWC, their pride won't allow it. Idaho has terrible facilities, and is too isolated. There aren't many FBS or FBS capable teams in or near the MWC footprint. UNM would probably object, but I think the rAggies are probably the best option.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 26th, 2017, 10:51 am

ViAggie wrote:Just for fun: The Big Sky is huge... it needs to get bigger, here is my new Big Sky Proposal:

Northern Sky

Idaho*
Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State
Idaho State
Northern Colorado
North Dakota
Portland State

Southern Sky

Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Weber State
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
San Jose State*
New Mexico State*
BYU**

*New Inductees
**FB only

I think you're seriously on to something there. Here's another with a couple of semiserious tweaks, with travel partners:

Northern Sky:

Idaho -- Idaho St
Montana -- Montana St
E Washington -- Portland St
No Dakota -- No Colorado

Southern Sky:

Weber St -- So Utah
No Arizona -- NewMags
Sacramento St -- San Jose St
Cal Davis -- Cal Poly SLO

The upside for USU is that (a) USU has a place to place players that haven't quite worked out with lots of comfy seats, and (b) USU has all but infinite cupcakes to schedule once a year for one-and-dones, along with the rest of the MWC.

Remember, Fullerton, Long Beach and Pacific dropped FB altogether because, after Fresno got poached, there were not sufficient "local" teams on the schedule and it became too expensive to continue playing the sport. San Jose suddenly has 3 teams within busing distance to play with and, who knows, maybe they even get better home crowds. Losing the home-and-homes with the suckdogs and FSU will hurt, but they're in such a downward spiral in their sports programs. Do they even play Stanford home and home any more?

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » October 26th, 2017, 11:18 am

Yeah, we don't want anything to do with BYU in the MWC. They break everything they touch. If they want success they should hire Lou Holtz, who knew how to win as an independent.

AggieDude
Has thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » October 26th, 2017, 11:33 am

ViAggie wrote:welp, perhaps we should throw NMSU a bone... and drop byu from our schedule so that they can pick up a game with the SAggies.
I kinda like the idea of racking up wins against byu while they suck... but if you twist my arm I'd drop 'em for NMSU.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 7th, 2017, 11:43 am

I'm revisiting this thread in light of who we are playing on the 29th and it's a little slow for now.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 7th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Folks, here is the math you need:

MWC - SJSU + USU moves to West Division + NMSU.

Problem solved. Oh, by the way, the problem is that we didn't get to play UNLV every year. VEGAS, BABY!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » December 7th, 2017, 12:21 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 23rd, 2017, 2:30 pm
Just for fun:

Northern Sky

Idaho*
Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State
Idaho State
Northern Colorado
North Dakota
Portland State

Southern Sky

Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Weber State
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
San Jose State*
New Mexico State*
BYU**

*New Inductees
**FB only

Seeing this reminded me of that quote "Begging your pardon, sir, but that's a big (I can't express myself without swearing) sky!" - Billy Bob Thornton in Armageddon.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 7th, 2017, 12:27 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 12:21 pm
ViAggie wrote:
October 23rd, 2017, 2:30 pm
Just for fun:

Northern Sky

Idaho*
Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State
Idaho State
Northern Colorado
North Dakota
Portland State

Southern Sky

Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Weber State
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
San Jose State*
New Mexico State*
BYU**

*New Inductees
**FB only

Seeing this reminded me of that quote "Begging your pardon, sir, but that's a big a** sky!" - Billy Bob Thornton in Armageddon.
Yea that is a lot of teams. Well, since the SAggies like the WAC, perhaps the WAC should try and Invite all of the Big Sky members to join them? That would be one hell of a conference.

dancingNMSUaggie

Post by dancingNMSUaggie » December 7th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Once again, fake news galore. No one said we like the WAC. It's hard to have an intelligent conversation with you about this. I guess I shouldn't fall for your condescending thread. Funny how you forget the old WAC only took you when BYU and Utah left. They kept you down before that. I guess you forgot what's that's about. Anyway, have fun with your mental masturbation with Big Sky fantasy alignment scenarios.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 7th, 2017, 3:37 pm

dancingNMSUaggie wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 1:03 pm
Once again, fake news galore. No one said we like the WAC. It's hard to have an intelligent conversation with you about this. I guess I shouldn't fall for your condescending thread. Funny how you forget the old WAC only took you when BYU and Utah left. They kept you down before that. I guess you forgot what's that's about. Anyway, have fun with your mental masturbation with Big Sky fantasy alignment scenarios.
Sall good, my post from the beginning was TIC - but in your defense, the WAC took us both LONG after ybu and Utah left... and all the Texas schools that bolted to CUSA left. I like you guys, glad we're playing you in a BG and in the next couple of years. Cheers :cheers:

dancingNMSUaggie

Post by dancingNMSUaggie » December 7th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Locked Previous topicNext topic