Jim McElwain is available

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Jim McElwain is available

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 29th, 2017, 12:47 pm

nt

TrueAG
Has thanked: 0

Re: Jim McElwain is available

Post by TrueAG » October 29th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Welcome back to the MWC Jim

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 29th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Who has left the MWC and gone on to be a great coach? Petersen, Urban?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 29th, 2017, 2:13 pm

dyedblue wrote:Who has left the MWC and gone on to be a great coach? Petersen, Urban?????

Whitingham, Patterson

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 29th, 2017, 2:46 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:nt
Hell no

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 29th, 2017, 3:07 pm

2004AG wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:nt
Hell no

Absolutely agree 2004 -- his offenses are lame, and he is certainly not fan friendly.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 29th, 2017, 3:46 pm

From what I seen of him he is a d bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » October 29th, 2017, 4:13 pm

If we need a coach at the end of the season and he's willing to come to USU, I think we'd be foolish not to consider him. But right now most people seem to think he's headed to Oregon State.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 29th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
dyedblue wrote:Who has left the MWC and gone on to be a great coach? Petersen, Urban?????

Whitingham, Patterson
They never left their programs for $$$.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 29th, 2017, 5:12 pm

dyedblue wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Whitingham, Patterson

Both left the MW, which is what you originally said, but point taken.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 29th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Just to pat myself on the back, I called this in 2015. Probably a good football coach, but he was never going to fit in at UF. Coaching in Gainesville requires chutzpah and a personality bigger than the moment and McElwain isn't that guy. Urban Meyer and Steve Spurrier had those traits.

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » October 30th, 2017, 3:52 am

He'll go somewhere closer to a beach. He prefers the company of sharks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 30th, 2017, 7:17 am

I have often wondered about the possibility of USU going after a coach that was winning at a big time program, but not "winning enough". Such a coach could end up finding a niche at USU and be quite successful.

A great exampled of this is Frank Solich at Ohio. He was 58-19 overall at Nebraska and took his 2001 team to the National Championship. But that was not enough for the Huskers (although I am sure they would LOVE a record like that now...). But look at what he has done since taking over at Ohio. In the 20 years prior to his arrival at Ohio the Bobcats had only two winning seasons and averaged less than 3 wins per season. Since his arrival he is 94-69 overall, averages over 7 wins per season, and has taken them to eight bowl games (including a win over USU in the Potato Bowl).

I know many have bad things to say about McElwain, and I admit I do not know much about him. Here is a guy who has won in the MWC and in the SEC (two division titles). Someone like him could have success at USU. Or how about a guy like Bret Bielema who is on the hot seat at Arkansas? He has won in the Big Ten and he has had three straight winning seasons in the SEC as well.

I am not advocating either of those two guys specifically, but more of someone with similar backgrounds, successful at a big time school, but just not "successful enough". Thoughts?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 30th, 2017, 8:08 am

I'm okay with that.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 30th, 2017, 10:29 am

I've never been impressed with McElwain. His small amount of success at CSU was the result of timing and nothing else. It would be the equivalent of Wells being hired away by a P5 after the 2014 season with a 10 win season under his belt. Reality is that that season was nothing to do with Wells "building" anything, it was just the result of timing and left over talent.

Similarly McElwain was never building anything at CSU, he was banking on everything lining up for him in 2014 by having a senior QB in Grayson and a cupcake schedule to burn through and it happened to work out for him. That season the Rams OOC opponents consisted of a still down Colorado team and absolute horrid Boston College and Tulsa squads - not exactly murderers row.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » October 30th, 2017, 12:17 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:I have often wondered about the possibility of USU going after a coach that was winning at a big time program, but not "winning enough". Such a coach could end up finding a niche at USU and be quite successful.

A great exampled of this is Frank Solich at Ohio. He was 58-19 overall at Nebraska and took his 2001 team to the National Championship. But that was not enough for the Huskers (although I am sure they would LOVE a record like that now...). But look at what he has done since taking over at Ohio. In the 20 years prior to his arrival at Ohio the Bobcats had only two winning seasons and averaged less than 3 wins per season. Since his arrival he is 94-69 overall, averages over 7 wins per season, and has taken them to eight bowl games (including a win over USU in the Potato Bowl).

I know many have bad things to say about McElwain, and I admit I do not know much about him. Here is a guy who has won in the MWC and in the SEC (two division titles). Someone like him could have success at USU. Or how about a guy like Bret Bielema who is on the hot seat at Arkansas? He has won in the Big Ten and he has had three straight winning seasons in the SEC as well.

I am not advocating either of those two guys specifically, but more of someone with similar backgrounds, successful at a big time school, but just not "successful enough". Thoughts?
If USU needs a coach at the end of this season (or in the near future), I would definitely give Hugh Freeze a call. Heck, I think we should go crazy and call Les Miles as well. I doubt either of them would be interested in USU, and it would be a gamble even if they were, given that it's unclear that they have recruiting ties outside the South. But you can find several examples of coaches that were successful at the top level of college football who lost their jobs and had to get back into the profession at the G5 level. I'd much rather hire someone with a proven track record of success as a head coach than a green coordinator who may or may not pan out.

oleblu111

Post by oleblu111 » October 30th, 2017, 12:24 pm

dyedblue wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Whitingham, Patterson

They did not need to leave for $$$, Peterson makes over $5 million at TCU, and Whitingham makes $3.6 million at Utah. They are both in the top 25 as far as wages go, in fact Patterson is in the top 10.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 30th, 2017, 12:27 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:I have often wondered about the possibility of USU going after a coach that was winning at a big time program, but not "winning enough". Such a coach could end up finding a niche at USU and be quite successful.

If USU needs a coach at the end of this season (or in the near future), I would definitely give Hugh Freeze a call. Heck, I think we should go crazy and call Les Miles as well. I doubt either of them would be interested in USU, and it would be a gamble even if they were, given that it's unclear that they have recruiting ties outside the South. But you can find several examples of coaches that were successful at the top level of college football who lost their jobs and had to get back into the profession at the G5 level. I'd much rather hire someone with a proven track record of success as a head coach than a green coordinator who may or may not pan out.
Agreed. In the event that a coaching search does occur. Any and all options should be exhausted before choosing top candidates.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 30th, 2017, 12:45 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:

On this we agree.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 30th, 2017, 2:07 pm

He got lucky at CSU as Aggies were beating them until Garretson went down with injury. Had he stayed healthy Aggies win and he does not go to,Florida.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

bpd

Post by bpd » October 30th, 2017, 8:38 pm

I live about 7 miles from the CSU campus. He is not well liked in Fort Collins. Here is a local article from today.
http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/ ... 814529001/

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 30th, 2017, 9:24 pm

He always seemed like a real douche from my seats.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 30th, 2017, 11:12 pm

bpd wrote:I live about 7 miles from the CSU campus. He is not well liked in Fort Collins. Here is a local article from today.
http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/ ... 814529001/
I wonder how the author really feels about McElwain...LOL

Locked Previous topicNext topic