Roll Tide - Playing @ Bama in 2022

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
oleblu111
RIP

Re: Roll Tide - Playing @ Bama in 2022

Post by oleblu111 » May 9th, 2018, 2:06 pm

In the 70's and 80's we had two decent attendance years 1979-1980 the rest were not good.

USU has a history of poor fan and donor support. Like everyone else I wished we never had to play money games, but having never shown good fan support in order to pay the bills it is needed. The budget as it is uses to much university support to stay in business, we use more from that area than any school in Utah. If we want quality sports, fans need to start paying for it.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » May 10th, 2018, 12:00 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 2:06 pm
In the 70's and 80's we had two decent attendance years 1979-1980 the rest were not good.

USU has a history of poor fan and donor support. Like everyone else I wished we never had to play money games, but having never shown good fan support in order to pay the bills it is needed. The budget as it is uses to much university support to stay in business, we use more from that area than any school in Utah. If we want quality sports, fans need to start paying for it.
You make great points. However, I decided not to renew my season tickets after I attended the bowl game in Tucson. I want the best for this program and I know that requires support and loyalty from fans... but I've gotten to a point in my life that I'm not going to spend my disposable income on gas and game tickets if we are stuck with a vanilla coach that makes poor in-game decisions.

I'll renew my faith and my financial support when Utah State has back-to-back 8-win seasons or when Wells no longer represents the Aggies (whichever comes first).

Geography has done more to damn this program than anything. Most alums don't stay in Cache Valley after graduating and few fans want to drive 100+ miles to watch the current product.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 10th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Ok, but alums do not travel 100 miles to watch USU regardless of the product.

USU fans are getting more than what they pay for when you consider USU is 11th in fan support in a 12 school conference.

I understand people leaving it is much easier to support a winner. It does take a lot to continue to support when you see so much lacking in every area. I'm not a alum of USU, and have been tempted to jump ship many times.The biggest reason for me is not the teams, but the cheap fan base that wants quality, but does not want to pay, I feel very foolish putting money into a school that has so little alum pride and commitment to success. I must be the dumbest aggie fan there is.

I hope that Jim Laub and Blake Kirby do not give up if they do you might be in the Big Sky.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 10th, 2018, 6:28 pm

I travelled several hundred miles for many seasons during the good years. I’m just not that enthused by the current state of the program so I stay home.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » May 11th, 2018, 7:12 am

Even if you don't like the product on the field, you should still be donating. Heck, take your money you would have spent on tickets and donate it for the good of the program. Sadly, I feel most alum would donate for educational purposes over athletics. Part of the reason for that is they are much more proactive at calling for donations. About every 6 to 12 months I get a personal phone call from the Jon M. Huntsman school of business. I have had that happen once for athletics. It was a current track athlete that called.

Personally, I love to see the former stars donate some time to call some people. Imagine getting a call from CK. Or have a meet and greet with Bobby Wagner for all new donors, or donors that increased their donations. The AD needs to do more to engage the alumni IMO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 11th, 2018, 9:00 am

Why is prioritizing education over athletics sad? I mean, yeah, I totally want to see our donations for athletics jump up, as well as our revenue from tickets/tv/merchandise/etc. And I need to improve my own contributions. But I'll probably be donating equal parts athletics, music department, and engineering school. I love Aggie athletics, but I honestly love the school more. Athletics just gives me a fun way to express that love. By wearing full-body lycra in public.

bigblue

Post by bigblue » May 11th, 2018, 9:06 am

BigBlueDart wrote:Why is prioritizing education over athletics sad? I mean, yeah, I totally want to see our donations for athletics jump up, as well as our revenue from tickets/tv/merchandise/etc. And I need to improve my own contributions. But I'll probably be donating equal parts athletics, music department, and engineering school. I love Aggie athletics, but I honestly love the school more. Athletics just gives me a fun way to express that love. By wearing full-body lycra in public.
Sad for the AD not in general. Poor phrasing on my part. I should have phrased my point like "The challenge for the AD is that most alums donate more for educational purposes."

My point is the AD has to work harder for the donations from alums and they don't IMO.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » May 11th, 2018, 9:58 am

One thing I've noticed that could be a problem with fundraising is the dearth of locals in the AD. Back when we started the whole grassroots, prime-the-pump, fundraising for the NEZ, S&C, etc. that lead to the stadium expansion, we had local alums running the fundraising arm of athletics at the university. They knew the people, the history, the culture, etc. and were able to tap into that. They knew the business cycles of each major donor, and could thus ask for money at the right times of year as well as look for in-kind donations or have access to major donor's networks. A big portion of fundraising that we don't see as much anymore are in-kind donations. These may seem like they don't matter, but when those drop, we end up spending what I would call "hard-currency" to back-fill. Once Tom left and they hired Corey it went downhill on the local side. We'd be doing really well if the local connections had been maintained, because we are raising a lot of the hard money as we speak.

For those who would question what I base my observations on, it's based really on just being in the right place and time to hear things. My wife worked in athletics fundraising for years and I got to know all of the employees really well. The problem retaining the locals came down to two things: At that time (and still) if you work in the AD in a support role, you'll never ever get a raise. Those are for coaches and administrators only. My wife doubled her salary by going and raising money for the university instead of just athletics, where she started and finished at the same rate after six years. The second was Barnes' decision to start hiring his own people once Tom left (for higher pay). It's not an issue that he hired his own people, but that he hired people with absolutely no clue on how things work here. Corey actually wanted to start a beer garden as a revenue stream at football games. I've got nothing against trying new ideas, but when you live in a town with 1.5 bars for 45000 people and no further demand, you're going to lose money and have a lot of extra beer. Hartwell compounded the loss when he decided to pass over the last remaining local, Jeremy Winn, and hire another outsider who will take his lumps before growing into the position. Jeremy would have been great as the director of advancement for athletics. He started at the bottom and should have been a shoo-in. But that wasn't to be.

If we truly want to grow the AD, where coaching and admin positions are by rule volatile, the support staff has got to have more continuity and permanence. We can't keep being an entry-level job for fundraising, ticketing, and marketing and promotion. If you're looking for the problem, it's right there. Every year or two and never much longer than that, one of those positions is filled by someone fresh out of college. (If you think about it, we're complaining on here about a new hire at one of those positions on a regular basis.) We give them all the on-the-job training and experience, and then they leave. So we basically have a perpetual amateur in the position, and just when they start to hit their stride, they leave and we start over. We may as well be a for-profit athletics administration training school. The structure is no different than the Applied Tech college's meat cutting program or Aggie Ice Cream. We'll train you to perform a duty or trade, and we'll make a marginal, ancillary revenue stream off of your product (which only defrays a minor portion of actual costs), and once you're out the door to a real job, we'll fill your spot with the next one.

Fundraising is a cycle. Budgets are a cycle. Learning a fundraising job is in itself a cycle, where you spend six months getting settled in, a couple of years getting up to speed and making connections and learning by trial and error, and then hitting your stride and closing the big deals. We never get people in support positions to that last step and it's keeping us in a perpetual gestational state.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2018, 11:09 am

Only one correction in your post as far as a beer garden goes, there are more than 1.5 bars in Logan. There is a lot of beer bought in restaurants, and many have a license's to serve beer, and mixed drinks with bars as part of the building. There are at least 12 places that serve beer, and mixed drinks in Logan. I can not say how well a beer garden would go in Maverik stadium, but I doubt it would be a big money maker or revenue loser.

We are competing with folks being able to sit home and watch college football on a wide screen in a recliner with the beverage of their choice the more creature comforts we have the better it will be.

I have given money to several school athletic dept. I can honestly say that USU tries as hard as any one of those other schools do, in fact it is easier to have contact with coach's at USU than it is at the other schools, USU has coach's lunch's in SLC all the time, but only have 108 donors in the entire county, that number is so low that it is not worth the effort, perhaps they should go hard in Box Elder county with a branch campus there I would bet with coach's lunch's in the Brigham campus you could get more than 108 donors, maybe we could give bus rides to games from the Brigham campus to students and fans.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » May 11th, 2018, 12:09 pm

I thought public schools in Utah had dry campuses, prohibiting alcohol sales anywhere on campus, which would include a beer garden at Maverick Stadium. This might have changed sometime in the last however many years it has been since I (thankfully) left Utah. Although it is easier to buy a beer in Utah than where I currently live.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I know the U is looking into a beer garden when they expand their stadium. I do not understand the laws in Utah it is easier to buy 3.2 beer in Utah than what it is in Wyoming at least there are more places that sell it. With Sunday beer sales now legal in cache valley it is easy to obtain.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » May 11th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Not sure what rules apply in and around the stadium but I was lucky enough to be invited to watch the 2nd half of the byu game in the suite of a pretty notable donor. That suite was packed with beer and wine and needless to say, everyone in there was enjoying themselves. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I've been consuming alcohol in the Maverik Stadium parking lot (along with many others) since I was an undergrad. The tailgaters that drink don't seem to cause any problems so the campus police leave them be. I know the University is supposed to be dry but I think administrators at every "dry campus" in the country turn a blind eye on game days.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2018, 12:36 pm

It is one thing to allow alcohol to be consumed in a parking lot or private suite, another to allow sales. If the ewe is able to get a beer garden then that will open it up for USU. I went to a game in Wyoming they now have beer sales it is under tight control with only so many beers per person and much more expensive. I do not like drunken behavior at football games I believe that what Wyoming is doing will help that out.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » May 11th, 2018, 12:48 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 11:09 am
USU has coach's lunch's in SLC all the time,
The AD has already heard your complaints, as it has been over a year since there was a coach's luncheon in Salt Lake. 2016 was the final year for the football ones and the basketball ones ended in the winter of 2017.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2018, 1:09 pm

I have not talked to the A.D. about the lack of support from the Salt Lake alums, however I may talk to him about increasing the effort in Box Elder county, being so close with a branch campus in the city that might be a area outside of cache valley where USU could get more support.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 11th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Don't overlook Weber and Davis counties either. So many AGGIES and alums live in those two (2) counties. I believe a focused effort over several years with adjustments and evaluations biannually would significantly elevate the USU athletic profile. Working thoughtfully from Davis county north would yield very well for Utah State athletics.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Weber county has 34 donors, Davis county has all of 104 donors. Box Elder has 53 donors, and Cache Valley has more than 900, they could spend some time in Box Elder county and get at least as many donors as what is in either one of those two counties.

Full

Post by Full » May 11th, 2018, 3:13 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 2:16 pm
Weber county has 34 donors, Davis county has all of 104 donors. Box Elder has 53 donors, and Cache Valley has more than 900, they could spend some time in Box Elder county and get at least as many donors as what is in either one of those two counties.
The population of each of the counties is
Davis: 347,637
Weber: 251,769
Cache: 124,438
Box Elder: 54,079

To me it seems like Weber and Davis Counties would be a better place to get some athletic donors. I know a lot of Aggies that are proud of their school, but not necessarily the athletic teams. There are a lot more USU alumni plates (which require a donation) in Weber and Davis counties than Athletic donors. Many of them also commute, so I think getting them to a few games is possible.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » May 11th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Full wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

To me it seems like Weber and Davis Counties would be a better place to get some athletic donors. I know a lot of Aggies that are proud of their school, but not necessarily the athletic teams. There are a lot more USU alumni plates (which require a donation) in Weber and Davis counties than Athletic donors. Many of them also commute, so I think getting them to a few games is possible.
Plus I assume SL county has a greater population than Davis. So if they have virtually the same number of donors in each it would seem to me that Davis is more productive territory. Own the north, USU. plough where it’s most fertile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 11th, 2018, 3:30 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 3:18 pm
Full wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Plus I assume SL county has a greater population than Davis. So if they have virtually the same number of donors in each it would seem to me that Davis is more productive territory. Own the north, USU. plough where it’s most fertile.
1 Salt Lake County 1,135,649
2 Utah County 606,425
3 Davis County 347,637
4 Weber County 251,769
5 Washington County 165,662
6 Cache County 124,438
7 Tooele County 67,456
8 Box Elder County 54,079
9 Iron County 51,001
10 Summit County 41,106

Davis, Weber, Tooele and Box Elder are the perfect places for USU to be hitting without running into the Southern Stench Wall. Davis HS is the biggest feeder school that USU has.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 11th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Go Darts! Go Big Blue!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 11th, 2018, 4:51 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 4:17 pm
Go Darts! Go Big Blue!
🍻

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

bigblue

Post by bigblue » May 11th, 2018, 5:19 pm

USU78 wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 3:18 pm
Full wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

1 Salt Lake County 1,135,649
2 Utah County 606,425
3 Davis County 347,637
4 Weber County 251,769
5 Washington County 165,662
6 Cache County 124,438
7 Tooele County 67,456
8 Box Elder County 54,079
9 Iron County 51,001
10 Summit County 41,106

Davis, Weber, Tooele and Box Elder are the perfect places for USU to be hitting without running into the Southern Stench Wall. Davis HS is the biggest feeder school that USU has.
I knew I should have went to Davis instead of Viewmont.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2018, 5:57 pm

I must admit to having first hand knowledge of raising money for USU athletics some years ago myself and several others sponsored steak fry's along the front in effort to get money for the NEZ project we gave a free steak dinner to all that attended, we had three or four in Salt Lake county one or two in Davis Weber area as well as two in cache valley.

I must say that the results in SLC were terrible most that attended gave nothing, many that pledged did not pay in fact all of those dinners on the front did not do well. We gave free dinners to around 250 people in that area. We had two in the Logan area those things were very good most that came gave money we made more money with the fifty people that attended the first one in Logan than what we got from the two hundred and fifty that attended in the Salt Lake area. The final one held at the old locker room at Romney stadium was a huge success we received near half of all we raised for the event everyone that came gave a lot of money. I will say that two members that post here a lot came and gave money. I felt like a lot of you do that if the school made a effort in Salt Lake it would be really rewarded I was wrong.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » May 14th, 2018, 8:40 pm

The suites at Maverik are considered private property since they are leased, this is why you can have alcohol there. As far as the parking lot, we leave it alone provided the alcohol is in an unmarked container such as a cup and that there are no incidents. So far it's worked.

With regards to bars in Logan, the point is moot. A beer garden is not going to have any demand whatsoever that produces a profit. The point still stands that an outsider would think it a good idea because it works in other places (such as among the unwashed Ute fans. ;)). However, it wouldn't work here, because they actually tried it and it didn't work. I left that out of my original post because I didn't think it would be questioned. Bottom line is we need to stop being a training ground for other AD's support staff.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 15th, 2018, 11:02 am

When was a beer garden tried at USU football games ? I never heard of that or saw that happen, my brother has made it to every football game at Romney, Maverik except for 6 total in all those years. Neither of us ever saw the University sell alcohol at any event, it must have been really hidden given that state laws were being broken.

I'm not saying it did not happen but it was as hidden as possible, which would lead to failure as far as sales go. I think a beer garden would make some money at Maverik, but I do not know if it would generate much of a profit because concessions do not do all that well.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 15th, 2018, 12:14 pm

oleblu111 wrote:When was a beer garden tried at USU football games ? I never heard of that or saw that happen, my brother has made it to every football game at Romney, Maverik except for 6 total in all those years. Neither of us ever saw the University sell alcohol at any event, it must have been really hidden given that state laws were being broken.

I'm not saying it did not happen but it was as hidden as possible, which would lead to failure as far as sales go. I think a beer garden would make some money at Maverik, but I do not know if it would generate much of a profit because concessions do not do all that well.
Sounds more like the idea was floated but never made it out of the room.

Hail Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 15th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I do not know what would need to be done to have beer sales at Maverik stadium. I do not know how successful it would be, but we are up against a person sitting home in his lazy boy watching football on a big screen, with snack's and the beverage of his choice.

Maverik is a good place to watch a football game the chair seats are great field views are outstanding parking is fine, sound system video boards are much improved, concessions and tailgating needs to improve, rather beer sales would help or hurt I do not know for certain. We need to increased revenue from fans a whole lot, so what ever it takes. I do not drink beer at football games I prefer not to do that, but others may feel different.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » May 15th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Tequilla Day when we played the boogers was always a good time. Still remember seeing people lying around in the bleachers after the Game.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 15th, 2018, 4:21 pm

I don't need beer to have a good time at a game. For me, the play on the field is what gets me juiced. I was at the WYO game last year and left very frustrated...

Maybe taking up drinking would actually make it all more enjoyable now that I think about it.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 15th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Machismo wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 2:19 pm
Tequilla Day when we played the boogers was always a good time. Still remember seeing people lying around in the bleachers after the Game.
Oh yes national Tequilla days was crazy back in the day for sure, a magazine rated USU as a top party school. There was a time when Logan had 12 bars, one the Cactus Club sold more beer than any bar in Utah back then. Now I believe that USU has a lot of kids that could not get into BYU making up the student body.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 15th, 2018, 8:51 pm

While having beer sales one way or not is an interesting subject, what is the cost/benefit ratio? I wonder how much money would actually flow into the AGGIE coffers. Lets suppose 1,000 game day patrons bought 2 beers each at $5 per beer.... 1,000 patrons spending $10 or a gross of $10,000. Now expense out the overhead and what would that really bring after expenses? It's been a long time since I knew what a keg of beer cost, but the keg isn't going to break the bank, it's the other preparing and dispensing expenses.

I would look at beer sales as an incentive for perhaps bringing a larger crowd of people to the stadium. I also look at the down side of having issues handling younger people who couldn't manage a couple of beers. I honestly wonder if we've not talking mice nuts when we look at revenue from beer sales.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 15th, 2018, 9:46 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:While having beer sales one way or not is an interesting subject, what is the cost/benefit ratio? I wonder how much money would actually flow into the AGGIE coffers. Lets suppose 1,000 game day patrons bought 2 beers each at $5 per beer.... 1,000 patrons spending $10 or a gross of $10,000. Now expense out the overhead and what would that really bring after expenses? It's been a long time since I knew what a keg of beer cost, but the keg isn't going to break the bank, it's the other preparing and dispensing expenses.

I would look at beer sales as an incentive for perhaps bringing a larger crowd of people to the stadium. I also look at the down side of having issues handling younger people who couldn't manage a couple of beers. I honestly wonder if we've not talking mice nuts when we look at revenue from beer sales.

I don’t care one way or the other regarding beer and alcohol. However, they need to cut it off very early and/or limit the amount sold as I would hate to see someone injured or killed by a knucklehead drunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » May 15th, 2018, 10:41 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 2:00 pm
I do not know what would need to be done to have beer sales at Maverik stadium. I do not know how successful it would be, but we are up against a person sitting home in his lazy boy watching football on a big screen, with snack's and the beverage of his choice.

Maverik is a good place to watch a football game the chair seats are great field views are outstanding parking is fine, sound system video boards are much improved, concessions and tailgating needs to improve, rather beer sales would help or hurt I do not know for certain. We need to increased revenue from fans a whole lot, so what ever it takes. I do not drink beer at football games I prefer not to do that, but others may feel different.
This is the nail on the head. The beer garden idea was that particular Asst. AD's grand slam best idea. Everything after that was downhill. In some locales, it's a phenomenal idea. In our locale, we need to get people to the game before we start thinking of ways to drum up revenue selling beer to empty seats.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Roll Tide - Playing @ Bama in 2022

Post by TheAKAggie » May 16th, 2018, 9:59 am

Ahbye wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 2:00 pm

This is the nail on the head. The beer garden idea was that particular Asst. AD's grand slam best idea. Everything after that was downhill. In some locales, it's a phenomenal idea. In our locale, we need to get people to the game before we start thinking of ways to drum up revenue selling beer to empty seats.
$5 for a stadium beer? Sign me up Image

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic