2018 USU FOOTBALL PRESEASON PREVIEW: OFFENSIVE LINE

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

2018 USU FOOTBALL PRESEASON PREVIEW: OFFENSIVE LINE

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2018, 11:22 am

As always, my preseason preview articles are always free. Please leave any questions or comments on either forum or PM me. Thanks for reading!!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 119619443/

YoungBloodAggie

Re: 2018 USU FOOTBALL PRESEASON PREVIEW: OFFENSIVE LINE

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 6th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Do you think there is a chance we could see all four of Hack, Koch, Bowles and Meacham taking redshirts this year? With Edwards and Uluave at LT, and Taylor at RT, we seem to have guys that can play at the positions. Could someone like Iniguez/Andrus/Ty Shaw potentially play back up minutes at LT/RT to help with depth?

I would love to see these young guys have a year of development/growth before they are expected to contribute. Not only would they be more ready when they step on the field after these other guys have graduated, but we would not lose a year of output from them.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 6th, 2018, 12:22 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Do you think there is a chance we could see all four of Hack, Koch, Bowles and Meacham taking redshirts this year? With Edwards and Uluave at LT, and Taylor at RT, we seem to have guys that can play at the positions. Could someone like Iniguez/Andrus/Ty Shaw potentially play back up minutes at LT/RT to help with depth?

I would love to see these young guys have a year of development/growth before they are expected to contribute. Not only would they be more ready when they step on the field after these other guys have graduated, but we would not lose a year of output from them.
I think Andrus came in as a tackle, didn't he? He should be able to play tackle, if needed.

Eutaw St. Aggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 6th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 12:22 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I think Andrus came in as a tackle, didn't he? He should be able to play tackle, if needed.
My question may have been poorly phrased. I am wondering if there is enough depth that the coaching staff wouldn't feel they've spread the line too thin. Barring injuries (yeah, right), I think a team can get really comfortable with about an 8-man rotation across the offensive line. I'm excited about our starters, so if you add in Uluave, Iniguez, and Ali'ifua I would guess we'd have enough but that feels like maybe one tackle too few.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2018, 12:59 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:

We have a beautiful problem here at Utah State with the offensive line. Not only do we have 5 returning starters but we have a redshirt freshman that is so talented that he has pushed one of the returning starters to the 2nd Team. Not only do I hope we redshirt Hack, Koch, Bowles, and Meacham but I hope we redshirt South, Avendano and Iniguez as well. Obviously, all the walk-ons will redshirt without naming them all as well. Here's why I think this is possible. The new NCAA rule regarding redshirting states that each player receiving the redshirt designation can now PLAY in up to 4 games at any given time before having to shut it down for the season. The beauty of the new rule is that the redshirting player can play the 4 game limit at ANY point during the season. For example a redshirting player could play in game 1, 5, 8 and 13 and still redshirt or game 10, 11, 12 and 13 and still redshirt. The rule does not require that the player play in 4 consecutive games.

With Edwards jumping into the starting lineup, I think Iniguez might be the odd man out. He still has a redshirt year available and the Aggies should USE it. Iniguez is a very good player and only a junior. Why waste a year as a backup? Play him in 4 games and sit him OUT! Having Iniguez for 2 more FULL seasons is only going to make the team BETTER! Iniguez has PAC-12 talent. The new rule will also allow Hack, Koch, Bowles, Meacham, South, and Avendano to play 4 games AND redshirt. We have enough quality players that have already redshirted available, that in the event of an injury to one of the starting five, we would see Demytrick Ali'ifua, Ty Shaw, KJ Uluave and Jake Templeton adequately fill in. Not to mention one of the redshirting players could be plugged in for up to a 4 game maximum. I don't know if this is how things will go BUT it is how things should go.
Last edited by aggies22 on July 8th, 2018, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 6th, 2018, 4:16 pm

I would really be surprised if Hack redshirted. He is a really good offensive tackle, who with weekly competition could actually beat Sean Taylor out if he gets lazy. I personally would like to see him actively involved in the weekly competition for the starting nod. We'll only be better if that the happens.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2018, 4:29 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 4:16 pm
I would really be surprised if Hack redshirted. He is a really good offensive tackle, who with weekly competition could actually beat Sean Taylor out if he gets lazy. I personally would like to see him actively involved in the weekly competition for the starting nod. We'll only be better if that the happens.
That's exactly why the new redshirt rule is such a marvelous thing. Hack could play in four games and still be redshirted.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » July 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm

I am really excited about this group. If they play up to their potential, the offense could put up some big numbers.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 7th, 2018, 6:58 am

I believe last year we really played with an 8 man rotation. So you could go with your 5 starters, then aliifua, Shaw, uluave. Then play iniguez 4 games, hack 4 games and one more guy 4 games and you have a solid 9 guy rotation.

Overall this group should be good now and in the future. Maybe the best overall oline group we've had in a long time.

Locked Previous topicNext topic