alright hypothetical question

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 13th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Let's say that USU *has* to go 6-6 this year but you get to pick the wins. Which ones are you picking?

My 6 wins:
Michigan State <- Thats a fun win even if the year isn't great
NMSU <- We must be the best Aggies
Tennessee Tech <- Can't lose to a FCS School
BYU-P <- Gotta keep bragging rights
San Jose State <- Can't lose to the worst team in the conference
Hawaii <- Can't lose to the 2nd worst team in the conference

6 losses:
Air Force <- Military is cool
UNLV <- Eh
Wyoming <- This might be the 7th win if I could.
New Mexico <- Eh
Colorado State <- At least they are fairly good
Boise State <- I want to beat them but also not ruin our shot at getting money if they get to a NY6 bowl.
Last edited by thegreendalegelf on July 13th, 2018, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Full

Re: alright hypothetical question

Post by Full » July 13th, 2018, 3:55 pm

I would start with the four OOC games then add Air Force and Boise State.

Brushowl

Post by Brushowl » July 13th, 2018, 4:51 pm

I would pick the first six games played. Makes the projection easy to calculate. After the first six wins that can shut down for the rest of the season and concentrate on their bowl game at the end of the season. :rock:

I support our troops, especially the snipers.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » July 13th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I don’t see a good way to do this... there are so many bad teams on the schedule that if we go 6-6 that means we’re awful haha

My first thought would be to win only conference games and hopefully win the division, but that means losing to BYU, NMSU, and Tennessee Tech....

This is such a lose-lose situation :noidea:

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm

I would choose to beat the best 6 teams on the schedule and lose to the worst 6. High highs out weigh low lows.

MSU
Boise
CSU
Wyo
BYU
Air Force

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 13th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Brushowl wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 4:51 pm
I would pick the first six games played. Makes the projection easy to calculate. After the first six wins that can shut down for the rest of the season and concentrate on their bowl game at the end of the season. :rock:
Can you imagine how much the fan base would melt down if we were to start out 6-0 with the win over Michigan State getting our hopes up, only to lose 6 straight starting with the game at Wyoming then home games against New Mexico and San Jose State. The meltdown in that scenario after getting our hopes up that much would be far worse than last year. Like while the win over Boise in 2015 was nice, that just got our hopes up and got us disappointed when we lost the games we were favored in.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 13th, 2018, 11:35 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm
I would choose to beat the best 6 teams on the schedule and lose to the worst 6. High highs out weigh low lows.

MSU
Boise
CSU
Wyo
BYU
Air Force
Not necessarily. While the high highs of beating MSU and Boise would be nice, you don't want the stigma of a team ending a long road losing streak against us. So at least get San Jose and Tenn Tech cause it's better to avoid the low lows of losing to them. Maybe if San Jose beats Wyoming the week before(their only winnable road game before us) you could say that losing to them would be less of a low. You also don't want to give Wyoming or Hawaii their first win if they are winless prior to the game against us.

While highs can outweigh lows, the one low you want to avoid is being the team to give someone their first and only win, or even road win, cause that can last longer. Though it's a different sport, giving BYU their only win in 97 has seemed to last forever, still considered something they brag about.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 14th, 2018, 2:36 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm

MSU
Boise
CSU
Wyo
BYU
Air Force
Not necessarily. While the high highs of beating MSU and Boise would be nice, you don't want the stigma of a team ending a long road losing streak against us. So at least get San Jose and Tenn Tech cause it's better to avoid the low lows of losing to them. Maybe if San Jose beats Wyoming the week before(their only winnable road game before us) you could say that losing to them would be less of a low. You also don't want to give Wyoming or Hawaii their first win if they are winless prior to the game against us.

While highs can outweigh lows, the one low you want to avoid is being the team to give someone their first and only win, or even road win, cause that can last longer. Though it's a different sport, giving BYU their only win in 97 has seemed to last forever, still considered something they brag about.
The one problem I see with my choice of winning the hardest 6 games is that we would be 1-5 at home. Considering I live 1000 miles away, that doesn’t affect me much but it would have a negative impact on attendance. I won’t concede the MSU game because I plan to be at that one and I’ll never ever concede against Boise or BYU. I don’t want to listen to my Poke in-laws rub in another Wyoming victory either. Maybe I’d agree to give away the CSU game in exchange for San Jose or Tenn Tech.

cval

Post by cval » July 15th, 2018, 9:31 am

Sure glad this is hypothetical and totally unrealistic. Any of the combinations you guys have come up with would be the cause of mass hysteria on the board.

USU_NoKaOi
Been thanked: 0

Post by USU_NoKaOi » July 15th, 2018, 2:02 pm

I'm fairly confident that the Aggies will win at least 6 games and go bowling again.

Wins:

NMSU
Tenn. Tech
UNLV
San Jose State
Hawai'i
New Mexico.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic