For what it's worth

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
seabass
Posts: 49
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 7:53 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times

For what it's worth

Post by seabass » September 4th, 2018, 9:40 am

on the Dari (Dari Nowkhah) and Mel (kiper) show on ESPN radio, Dari, who is good friends with Matt Wells, shared a text he got a text from MW saying he would have gone for 2 if they had scored a TD in the final drive. I think that would have been the right call. Maybe a run pass option. I think MSU would have ran it down USU's throat in OT. I'm encouraged by MW so far :golfclap: (sorry if already posted)



ususports
Posts: 1434
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 374 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by ususports » September 4th, 2018, 10:07 am

MW also mentioned this on the post game show on the radio.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16844
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by NVAggie » September 4th, 2018, 10:09 am

I would have preferred going for two as well.



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1842
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 414 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by sam tingey » September 4th, 2018, 10:19 am

I would have liked not letting them score, but wishes and such...



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2782
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 549 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 4th, 2018, 10:29 am

Any time you are on the road in a tight game, it is best to reduce the sample size and take your chances to win when you have them. I think going for two after a nonexistent touchdown was definitely the right decision.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

FormerlyVegasAggie71
Posts: 220
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 10:05 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » September 4th, 2018, 12:13 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 10:29 am
Any time you are on the road in a tight game, it is best to reduce the sample size and take your chances to win when you have them. I think going for two after a nonexistent touchdown was definitely the right decision.
same - and even though we didn't convert, I agree with the call to go for it on 4th and short. The play call not so much, but I did like seeing us be aggressive in that spot.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2730
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Madmartigan » September 4th, 2018, 1:17 pm

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 12:13 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 10:29 am
Any time you are on the road in a tight game, it is best to reduce the sample size and take your chances to win when you have them. I think going for two after a nonexistent touchdown was definitely the right decision.
same - and even though we didn't convert, I agree with the call to go for it on 4th and short. The play call not so much, but I did like seeing us be aggressive in that spot.
100% agreed. I loved going for it. I didn't love the play call either. Maybe it's my own confirmation bias, but I rarely see a team converting on a 4th and short running laterally rather than passing/running straight ahead. This, especially if the other defense has great athletes on the edges.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16844
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by NVAggie » September 4th, 2018, 3:44 pm

#35 made a great play on that fourth down. He was right in the backfield. Castenada was beaten by a quicker player there.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2023
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Intermeddler » September 4th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Would have been the right move. The longer that game went, the more it favored MSU. If you can gain 2 yards and win, you should take that chance.

I thought Wells coached a great game.



Usurossco
Posts: 229
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Usurossco » September 5th, 2018, 8:42 am

I think I am done with moral victories. Wells is the same 50/50 coach he has always been. He has the ability and the support to change but he just doesn’t do it. Until we line up and knock somebody off the ball far enough to get a yard I will sit here and be happy winning 3 to 5 games a year I guess.

Football is strength, ability and mental game. What you think you can accomplish is what you will accomplish. Wells has always said he thinks we can win a few games maybe if we get lucky. He needs to demand that we win every game period. If we lose a few then you just try harder no moral victories ever.

Our attitude and expectations must change.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Madmartigan
Posts: 2730
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Madmartigan » September 5th, 2018, 9:53 am

Usurossco wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 8:42 am
I think I am done with moral victories. Wells is the same 50/50 coach he has always been. He has the ability and the support to change but he just doesn’t do it. Until we line up and knock somebody off the ball far enough to get a yard I will sit here and be happy winning 3 to 5 games a year I guess.

Football is strength, ability and mental game. What you think you can accomplish is what you will accomplish. Wells has always said he thinks we can win a few games maybe if we get lucky. He needs to demand that we win every game period. If we lose a few then you just try harder no moral victories ever.

Our attitude and expectations must change.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moral victories are for losers, that's true. Some times the team you play is simply better than you are. I think that's the case this past weekend.



Usurossco
Posts: 229
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Usurossco » September 5th, 2018, 10:45 am

My point exactly we have been brainwashed to think everyone is better than we are. That must change. Truth is we are as good as most anyone else we are all fine with close games because we should be blown out anyway.

Wells is going to have a hard time until he can really start to believe in his O line.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12718
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 699 times
Contact:

Re: For what it's worth

Post by ProvoAggie » September 5th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Usurossco wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 10:45 am
Truth is we are as good as most anyone else
That's simply not true. Losing this past weekend sucked. We went toe to toe and just came up short. That being said, there is no rational argument that USU is as good as most anyone else. USU has less money, a smaller brand and simply can't get the recruits that a Big 10 school can. A lot of people saw this game as a blowout because of the disparity and even though I was disappointed with the outcome, I have hope for the future as the team right now appears to be better than I thought they were. I don't see how you can say we are as good as pretty much every other team in the country though.



taniataylor
Posts: 1766
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 730 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by taniataylor » September 5th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Actually USU is as good as anyone else. We hung with the #11 ranked (now #15) team in the country til the end. This ws not anywhere near last year’s opener against Wisconsin. The uptempo worked like a charm this time!! The Offense & Defensive lines made their presence known. I knew, I just knew that no matter what those boys did Friday night, there would be people still saying we aren’t good enough or it’s Wells’ fault!!! Just knock it off, they gave MSU a REAL fight that even their own coach wasn’t expecting. They get all my support and rah rah because they fought til the end!!
There isn’t another team on our schedule (except Boise St, maybe) that will challenge us like that!
Bank it, we are goin to see a championship game!!!
That team is ready to fight and give it their everything....u dont have to be negative all the time!! :bangwall:


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

oleblu111
Posts: 1620
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by oleblu111 » September 5th, 2018, 1:31 pm

There are things that need improvement with USU football, but it has nothing to do with the these players or the coach's. They played a hell of a game congrats to them.



Usurossco
Posts: 229
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Usurossco » September 5th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Great taniatayor show me some wins and I will start to think the team believes they can win as well. I don’t think Wells will ever change and believe though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



taniataylor
Posts: 1766
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 730 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by taniataylor » September 5th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Usurossco wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 2:51 pm
Great taniatayor show me some wins and I will start to think the team believes they can win as well. I don’t think Wells will ever change and believe though.


I'll show you Saturday, then next Thursday, then the Saturday after that...or will you be one of those that says..." that was just New Mexico State, that was just Tennessee Tech", and so on and so on....my money is on that
:lol:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by dyedblue » September 5th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Usurossco wrote:I think I am done with moral victories. Wells is the same 50/50 coach he has always been. He has the ability and the support to change but he just doesn’t do it. Until we line up and knock somebody off the ball far enough to get a yard I will sit here and be happy winning 3 to 5 games a year I guess.

Football is strength, ability and mental game. What you think you can accomplish is what you will accomplish. Wells has always said he thinks we can win a few games maybe if we get lucky. He needs to demand that we win every game period. If we lose a few then you just try harder no moral victories ever.

Our attitude and expectations must change.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GA used to say the same thing. Wellsv teams have been every bit as competitive as GA's teams too. USC, MSU, BYU, N. Illinoise, Boise.

I'm sick of moral victories, but I love the fight in this team. I'm curious to see how we play Saturday. Is this a 2012 mentally tough team that will bury an inferior opponent?

This Aggie fans, and maybe Florida and Nebraska, are the only ones who'd want to fire their coach after a last minute loss to the #11 team on the road.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Machismo
Posts: 3905
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 447 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Machismo » September 5th, 2018, 6:20 pm

After listening to Ferg on the post game, comments from Ficklin and Roq I get the feeling this team is focused on smoking the raggies and every other team on the schedule. Hope my intuition is correct.


"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

Usurossco
Posts: 229
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Usurossco » September 5th, 2018, 7:42 pm

If I see the second team in the third quarter with a 14 point lead I will fire Wells myself. We had better lay it on thick I want to see 77-0. No mercy. It is NMSUs job to stop us. Not Wells job. Let’s be clear we hired Wells to win by a million points if possible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



letsbehonest
Posts: 522
Joined: January 29th, 2013, 10:09 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by letsbehonest » September 5th, 2018, 7:50 pm

I would have agreed with going for 2 but their defense seemed tired so either call would have been ok.

3 to 5 wins? While there have been plenty of opportunities to win more games under Wells he has won less than 6 games once. This team will win at least 9 games this year.



Usurossco
Posts: 229
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Usurossco » September 5th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Great show me that many wins that would be nice. After GA boys left we have struggled in my opinion. It just seems that close is good for most Aggie fans. I just don’t agree. Winning is the only reason to have a team.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4164
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 5th, 2018, 9:16 pm

There's a difference between a moral victory and being encouraged by what we see in a close loss to a very good team on the road.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk



Formerly TulsAGGIE

Usurossco
Posts: 229
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Usurossco » September 5th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Agreed we can be encouraged by what we saw. I just think after 50 years of watching the Aggies we should be getting to the point where we can win a big game not just get close. Look at it this way Wells makes 3 times what GA made. Wins? Not three times as many. Huh sounds like money’s is the answer (not).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by dyedblue » September 5th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Usurossco wrote:Agreed we can be encouraged by what we saw. I just think after 50 years of watching the Aggies we should be getting to the point where we can win a big game not just get close. Look at it this way Wells makes 3 times what GA made. Wins? Not three times as many. Huh sounds like money’s is the answer (not).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$850,00 is Wells salary this year. You really think GA got paid less than 300,000?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

LKGates
Posts: 3300
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 238 times
Contact:

Re: For what it's worth

Post by LKGates » September 6th, 2018, 12:02 am

Usurossco wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 7:42 pm
If I see the second team in the third quarter with a 14 point lead I will fire Wells myself. We had better lay it on thick I want to see 77-0. No mercy. It is NMSUs job to stop us. Not Wells job. Let’s be clear we hired Wells to win by a million points if possible.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A certain amount of fan board hyperbole is understandable, but I hope you don't mean this literally. Doing this would be short sighted and unwise. Perhaps not with a 14 point lead in the third quarter, but with, say, a 28 point lead in the third quarter, I would hope that any coach would put his second, and perhaps third string players on the field, both to give them experience, and avoid needless risk of injury to starters in a game that is already won. When the win is in hand, build for the future, and protect the present.


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

oleblu111
Posts: 1620
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by oleblu111 » September 6th, 2018, 12:35 am

Some coach's can overachieve given resources at their school, but never lose sight of the fact that USU has a small budget, compared to schools like MSU. last check their overall budget was like $126 million, USU has one of around $34 million I think we did ok, We also get a check for $1.4 million which is a tidy sum for USU.



Usurossco
Posts: 229
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Usurossco » September 6th, 2018, 5:23 am

I don’t care what our budget is. Either we compete or not. If you think MSU should jump to the NFL that’s your right. They can’t pay players an more than we can. Money money money that’s all you want to talk about.

What about Texas who has the largest budget of any college team but can’t win at all lately?

I am encouraged and excitedly see this team moving forward this season.

We can compete with anybody period.

I will never buy the moral victory argument or the money argument.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
AndroidAggie
Posts: 4115
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:47 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by AndroidAggie » September 6th, 2018, 5:37 am

Texas is a bit of an outlier

The trend is that the more money you have, the easier it is to do recruiting, pay for better coordinators and staff and physical space in which to practice and review film, hire better coaches, and have nicer facilities. All that stuff factors in.

Clearly the teams who spend more don't automatically do better and some schools outperform and others underperform, but it definitely helps when all else is equal



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15889
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 446 times
Been thanked: 1059 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 6th, 2018, 6:16 am

Usurossco wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 5:23 am
I don’t care what our budget is. Either we compete or not. If you think MSU should jump to the NFL that’s your right. They can’t pay players an more than we can. Money money money that’s all you want to talk about.

What about Texas who has the largest budget of any college team but can’t win at all lately?

I am encouraged and excitedly see this team moving forward this season.

We can compete with anybody period.

I will never buy the moral victory argument or the money argument.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well they don’t call it a “money game” for nothing. The ultimate purpose of that game was to keep our athletic department afloat. The fact that we still have to prostitute ourselves one weekend every year says all we need to know about the health of our budget.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

For what it's worth

Post by dyedblue » September 6th, 2018, 6:42 am

That one game brought in more money than our ticket sales for the entire season.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on September 6th, 2018, 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Usurossco
Posts: 229
Joined: January 28th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For what it's worth

Post by Usurossco » September 6th, 2018, 7:35 am

Good points. So to recap we will never compete until we have a huge budget?

I want us to sell 20000 season tickets and outperform. I only hear excuses and moral victories. Money may help some if you use it wisely but I have attended a big money school and we didn’t win much either. Utah State is way more fun and overall we have nothing to hang our heads about.

Let’s kick some but this week and every week and the ticket sales will improve.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
AndroidAggie
Posts: 4115
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:47 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by AndroidAggie » September 6th, 2018, 10:25 am

Usurossco wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 7:35 am
Good points. So to recap we will never compete until we have a huge budget?

I want us to sell 20000 season tickets and outperform. I only hear excuses and moral victories. Money may help some if you use it wisely but I have attended a big money school and we didn’t win much either. Utah State is way more fun and overall we have nothing to hang our heads about.

Let’s kick some but this week and every week and the ticket sales will improve.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
more like our ability to compete is a function of our ability to spend. it's not a cure-all, there's always Purdue (82MM), Oregon State (84MM), and Kansas (92MM in revenue) who are terrible at football despite having so much cash coming in. but the top of the chart is loaded with schools who do very well: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

i think we all want to see USU get over the hump with a statement game over a team like Michigan State. none of us are happy we lost, i think we just saw something different in the team that we haven't seen in awhile. if we storm into BYU with a strong 4-1 record then i think that'll mean something about the team's mental ability.

since players are the leaders and make up the heart and soul of the team, it's the coach's job to put the right players on the field that can not only play good football but also be good emotional supports. i don't think kent myers was doing his part in being mentally tough and focused on overcoming adversity. i say that mostly from observing body language and seeing him tweet stats after losses, and i'm just a fan with no insight flapping his gums on a message board, so take that for what it's worth.

i think we come out strong and destroy nmsu.

i think we do the same to tennessee tech.

then i'm less confident but very optimistic we control the game against afa. i don't care about a huge win or high scoring game; i care about stopping them in their tracks on the option and holding them to under 400 yards.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2816
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 357 times
Been thanked: 380 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by ChicAggie » September 6th, 2018, 11:18 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 12:40 pm
Usurossco wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 10:45 am
Truth is we are as good as most anyone else
That's simply not true. Losing this past weekend sucked. We went toe to toe and just came up short. That being said, there is no rational argument that USU is as good as most anyone else. USU has less money, a smaller brand and simply can't get the recruits that a Big 10 school can. A lot of people saw this game as a blowout because of the disparity and even though I was disappointed with the outcome, I have hope for the future as the team right now appears to be better than I thought they were. I don't see how you can say we are as good as pretty much every other team in the country though.
Amen to that, brother.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Posts: 8101
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: For what it's worth

Post by BigBlueDart » September 6th, 2018, 1:59 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 10:25 am
if we storm into BYU with a strong 4-1 record then i think that'll mean something about the team's mental ability.
3-1.



Locked Previous topicNext topic