One Last Attendance Post

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thetrueaggie
Posts: 112
Joined: October 10th, 2015, 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

One Last Attendance Post

Post by thetrueaggie » September 13th, 2018, 4:41 pm

I know everyone is probably sick of this topic after this past week, but I did just a little research and found something pretty interesting. In terms of how much we fill up our stadium percentage-wise, we were only behind Boise State last season. Definitely not as bad as some on this board make it out to be especially considering we had a very mediocre year last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Moun ... attendance
Image



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5413
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 669 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 13th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I think that logic only works if we were consistently selling out the stadium, which we aren’t.

By this same logic, if a team’s stadium only held 10,000 fans, but had 9,000 average attendance, then they would have the best attendance in the conference.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on September 13th, 2018, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.



thetrueaggie
Posts: 112
Joined: October 10th, 2015, 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by thetrueaggie » September 13th, 2018, 6:02 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 5:25 pm
I think that logic only works if we were consistently selling the stadium, which we aren’t.

By this same logic, if a team’s stadium only held 10,000 fans, but had 9,000 average attendance, then they would have the best attendance in the conference.
I'm not really sure what your argument is. The overall complaint on this board is that we can't fill a small stadium. The only team that is home to a smaller population is Wyoming. New Mexico's stadium can fit close to 40k, but on average was filled at about half capacity last year. Would you rather be them with a few more overall numbers but 5 times the surrounding population?



bluegrouse
Posts: 3213
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by bluegrouse » September 13th, 2018, 7:52 pm

I don’t really care about percentages or even much about how we compare to others. I care about having enough fans that we can be compete for the conference championship on a consistent, long-term basis. I do not believe a 20,000 average every year is going to do that because it’s an indicator of all other types of support.



Ahbye
Posts: 1741
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by Ahbye » September 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Boise very rarely sells out their games. We do pretty good for where we are, but we need to market to different demographics to put us over the top. We keep looking at big P5 schools as examples, but a better option would be to do whatever Montana is doing.



oleblu111
Posts: 1626
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by oleblu111 » September 14th, 2018, 11:40 am

Montana has ticket prices that are $40 for the cheapest seats, and they sell out all the time with a stadium that is about the same size as USU's. So if USU fans and alums would pay, and care like those Grizz fans do we would be in hog heaven.

They bring in more than double the revenue from tickets sales as USU does and more than double the donations, so they would be a good one to follow.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2816
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 357 times
Been thanked: 380 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by ChicAggie » September 14th, 2018, 1:26 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 11:40 am
Montana has ticket prices that are $40 for the cheapest seats, and they sell out all the time with a stadium that is about the same size as USU's. So if USU fans and alums would pay, and care like those Grizz fans do we would be in hog heaven.

They bring in more than double the revenue from tickets sales as USU does and more than double the donations, so they would be a good one to follow.
Would definitely be a good model to try to copy if true. Any ideas how they do it?


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

bluegrouse
Posts: 3213
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by bluegrouse » September 14th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Ahbye wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm
Boise very rarely sells out their games. We do pretty good for where we are, but we need to market to different demographics to put us over the top. We keep looking at big P5 schools as examples, but a better option would be to do whatever Montana is doing.
Boise State averages 5,000 more people than our stadium holds.....



slcagg
Posts: 5034
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 781 times
Been thanked: 684 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by slcagg » September 14th, 2018, 1:32 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 11:40 am
Montana has ticket prices that are $40 for the cheapest seats, and they sell out all the time with a stadium that is about the same size as USU's. So if USU fans and alums would pay, and care like those Grizz fans do we would be in hog heaven.

They bring in more than double the revenue from tickets sales as USU does and more than double the donations, so they would be a good one to follow.
As discussed we are the third show in our state. Montana is the number 1 show. Similar to Wyoming.

On a Montana note, I would love to add them in this conference.



BigSkyAG
Posts: 108
Joined: November 23rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by BigSkyAG » September 14th, 2018, 1:59 pm

They don't want to come. They would prefer to be a big fish in small pond.



oleblu111
Posts: 1626
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by oleblu111 » September 14th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Actually there is another FCS school in Montana, which is a state of 1 million people, Both school do better in ticket revenue than what USU does, and of course Utah has 3 million people USU has more alums than either of the Montana schools, we would do well to copy their success.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16887
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 762 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by NVAggie » September 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Go look at the record for Montana. They won their conference for most of the last four decades. Competed in and won several National Championships. I would say that USU would have a lot of followers if they had a four decade run like Montana.



Harcher
Posts: 366
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:24 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by Harcher » September 14th, 2018, 4:01 pm

NVAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Go look at the record for Montana. They won their conference for most of the last four decades. Competed in and won several National Championships. I would say that USU would have a lot of followers if they had a four decade run like Montana.
Winning has nothing to do with it. Its just a coincidence. a 40 year coincidence.



Harcher
Posts: 366
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:24 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by Harcher » September 14th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Missoula Metro Population:
In 2017, the United States Census Bureau estimated the city's population at 73,340 and the population of the Missoula Metropolitan Area at 117,441. After Billings, Missoula is both the second largest city and metropolitan area in Montana. Missoula is home to the University of Montana, a public research university.
Nearby Cities: Billings 183,780 Bozeman 108,000 Helena 77,414 ("Nearby" is a relative term)

Logan Metro Population
Logan is the county seat of Cache County and the principal city of the Logan metropolitan area, which includes Cache County and Franklin County, Idaho. The Logan metropolitan area contained 125,442 people as of the 2010 census.
Nearby Cities: Ogden 547,184 Salt Lake City 1,203,978 Provo 526,810

front page of google search from Wikipedia



oleblu111
Posts: 1626
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by oleblu111 » September 14th, 2018, 4:27 pm

NVAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Go look at the record for Montana. They won their conference for most of the last four decades. Competed in and won several National Championships. I would say that USU would have a lot of followers if they had a four decade run like Montana.
Perhaps so if we were a FCS program we could have that level of success , but In a state with two other FBS programs, do you believe that winning at the FCS level would result is a doubling of revenue from USU fans, if so then we should drop down today. If university spending and student fees remained the same along with donor support we would be near the top of FCS programs.

I do not think that winning at the FCS level would be a good thing at USU, but I could be wrong, perhaps that is were we belong. Maybe Idaho had the right idea to drop down to the Big Sky.



Harcher
Posts: 366
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:24 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by Harcher » September 14th, 2018, 5:03 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 4:27 pm
NVAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Go look at the record for Montana. They won their conference for most of the last four decades. Competed in and won several National Championships. I would say that USU would have a lot of followers if they had a four decade run like Montana.
Perhaps so if we were a FCS program we could have that level of success , but In a state with two other FBS programs, do you believe that winning at the FCS level would result is a doubling of revenue from USU fans, if so then we should drop down today. If university spending and student fees remained the same along with donor support we would be near the top of FCS programs.

I do not think that winning at the FCS level would be a good thing at USU, but I could be wrong, perhaps that is were we belong. Maybe Idaho had the right idea to drop down to the Big Sky.
Moscow "Metro" area population 37,244
Nearby Cities: Coeur d'Alene 138,494 Spokane 527,753 (Spokane now has C d'A as part of metro but i split them)

Vandals have everything not going for them... Flagship university (but Boise State manages the politics) No TV coverage (Spokane, which serves TV in Northern Idaho, serves WSU and thus overshadows UI even the Idahoans) Idaho is poor in general. Many southern idahoans go to UI but return 600 miles back to snake river valley and treasure valley (boise metro). Commuting to games as Alumni is hard. UI has Airport issues - fly to spokane. Missoula has its own TV. (I think TV coverage is paramount, as us aggies understand) Missoula has its own airport.

Idaho Vandal Sports is in a tough place...literally and figuratively. Its that land-grant thingy.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16887
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 762 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by NVAggie » September 14th, 2018, 5:18 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Go look at the record for Montana. They won their conference for most of the last four decades. Competed in and won several National Championships. I would say that USU would have a lot of followers if they had a four decade run like Montana.
Perhaps so if we were a FCS program we could have that level of success , but In a state with two other FBS programs, do you believe that winning at the FCS level would result is a doubling of revenue from USU fans, if so then we should drop down today. If university spending and student fees remained the same along with donor support we would be near the top of FCS programs.

I do not think that winning at the FCS level would be a good thing at USU, but I could be wrong, perhaps that is were we belong. Maybe Idaho had the right idea to drop down to the Big Sky.
Nice try changing the argument. It’s pretty simple, if USU had success for four decades, our fan base would be vastly different. Instead, we sucked for four decades. Success and winning tradition makes the difference.



oleblu111
Posts: 1626
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by oleblu111 » September 14th, 2018, 6:09 pm

You brought up the Montana as a example of what can happen, of course having success at the FBS level is a little more difficult, and USU is at that level. If USU could have 40 years of winning with a few national championships at The FBS level we might draw better for sure, but that might be a little difficult in Logan Utah.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9715
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5018 times
Been thanked: 2998 times
Contact:

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by aggies22 » September 16th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Harcher wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 5:03 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 4:27 pm
NVAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Go look at the record for Montana. They won their conference for most of the last four decades. Competed in and won several National Championships. I would say that USU would have a lot of followers if they had a four decade run like Montana.
Perhaps so if we were a FCS program we could have that level of success , but In a state with two other FBS programs, do you believe that winning at the FCS level would result is a doubling of revenue from USU fans, if so then we should drop down today. If university spending and student fees remained the same along with donor support we would be near the top of FCS programs.

I do not think that winning at the FCS level would be a good thing at USU, but I could be wrong, perhaps that is were we belong. Maybe Idaho had the right idea to drop down to the Big Sky.
Moscow "Metro" area population 37,244
Nearby Cities: Coeur d'Alene 138,494 Spokane 527,753 (Spokane now has C d'A as part of metro but i split them)

Vandals have everything not going for them... Flagship university (but Boise State manages the politics) No TV coverage (Spokane, which serves TV in Northern Idaho, serves WSU and thus overshadows UI even the Idahoans) Idaho is poor in general. Many southern idahoans go to UI but return 600 miles back to snake river valley and treasure valley (boise metro). Commuting to games as Alumni is hard. UI has Airport issues - fly to spokane. Missoula has its own TV. (I think TV coverage is paramount, as us aggies understand) Missoula has its own airport.

Idaho Vandal Sports is in a tough place...literally and figuratively. Its that land-grant thingy.
I believe you can actually fly into Moscow and most Pac-12 teams do so and bus over to Pullman.



Ahbye
Posts: 1741
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by Ahbye » September 19th, 2018, 1:34 am

bluegrouse wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 1:31 pm
Ahbye wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm
Boise very rarely sells out their games. We do pretty good for where we are, but we need to market to different demographics to put us over the top. We keep looking at big P5 schools as examples, but a better option would be to do whatever Montana is doing.
Boise State averages 5,000 more people than our stadium holds.....
So who does better? The metro population of 709,000 that can't sell out a stadium or the metro population of 130,000 who can't sell out theirs. One team attracts 5% of their population and the other 19%. We've saturated our market and have nothing in common with a team that barely taps their own. Boise is a much bigger program nationally, is more successful, and has absolutely no competition for butts in the seats. Yet they only sell out for BYU, just like us. Their attendance problems are very alarming considering the factors.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 03144.html

Like I say, we need to figure out what Montana is doing and emulate it. They are much more similar in that they too have saturated their market but unlike us, they've found ways to tap into streams within that saturated market. They have competition a short distance away at MSU, a similar metro area to ours at 117,000, and manage to sell the thing out every game. The fact that they're FCS has no bearing, because like us, they are the major football product in their town and compete with programs in the same division three hours away. Boise does a horrible job considering what they have to draw from. Montana does a wonderful job, and so does Montana State. See the link below. Similar stadiums, similar metro areas... Maybe they're on to something? Maybe the next time we hire ticket office managers or someone for marketing, we can grab one of theirs. Or maybe we can pay to keep ours after we have them all trained and all the bugs are worked out. That's typically when they inevitably get poached by a lateral school that will pay them more.

https://gogriz.com/news/2017/1/30/griz- ... -year.aspx



oleblu111
Posts: 1626
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by oleblu111 » September 19th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Here are the actual numbers to go by there are 138,002 people in the Logan metro area, with the people that live in Box Elder county we have 192,081 within those areas. Those are the latest numbers from the census estimates, as well as what business looks at.

I believe with the aggie alums, and their families that live on the front there are enough people to be successful just need them to want to be part of the aggie nation. How is the $64 question.



bluegrouse
Posts: 3213
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by bluegrouse » September 19th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Ahbye wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:34 am
bluegrouse wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 1:31 pm
Ahbye wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm
Boise very rarely sells out their games. We do pretty good for where we are, but we need to market to different demographics to put us over the top. We keep looking at big P5 schools as examples, but a better option would be to do whatever Montana is doing.
Boise State averages 5,000 more people than our stadium holds.....
So who does better? The metro population of 709,000 that can't sell out a stadium or the metro population of 130,000 who can't sell out theirs. One team attracts 5% of their population and the other 19%. We've saturated our market and have nothing in common with a team that barely taps their own. Boise is a much bigger program nationally, is more successful, and has absolutely no competition for butts in the seats. Yet they only sell out for BYU, just like us. Their attendance problems are very alarming considering the factors.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 03144.html

Like I say, we need to figure out what Montana is doing and emulate it. They are much more similar in that they too have saturated their market but unlike us, they've found ways to tap into streams within that saturated market. They have competition a short distance away at MSU, a similar metro area to ours at 117,000, and manage to sell the thing out every game. The fact that they're FCS has no bearing, because like us, they are the major football product in their town and compete with programs in the same division three hours away. Boise does a horrible job considering what they have to draw from. Montana does a wonderful job, and so does Montana State. See the link below. Similar stadiums, similar metro areas... Maybe they're on to something? Maybe the next time we hire ticket office managers or someone for marketing, we can grab one of theirs. Or maybe we can pay to keep ours after we have them all trained and all the bugs are worked out. That's typically when they inevitably get poached by a lateral school that will pay them more.

https://gogriz.com/news/2017/1/30/griz- ... -year.aspx
Like I said in another post, I really don’t care who does better percentage-wise. To me, that’s a meaningless metric. The important metric is whether our current level of support can sustain a winning program. Period. Nothing else matters. My argument is that our current level of support cannot reasonably be expected to get us to where we want to go regardless of whatever percentage of the population it happens to be.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5890
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 308 times
Contact:

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by TheAKAggie » September 19th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Can someone follow Ahbye’s post with a tl:dr for us?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

Ahbye
Posts: 1741
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by Ahbye » September 20th, 2018, 5:08 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 11:02 pm
Can someone follow Ahbye’s post with a tl:dr for us?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, you have to read it.



Ahbye
Posts: 1741
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by Ahbye » September 20th, 2018, 5:22 am

bluegrouse wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 10:39 pm
Ahbye wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:34 am
bluegrouse wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 1:31 pm
Ahbye wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm
Boise very rarely sells out their games. We do pretty good for where we are, but we need to market to different demographics to put us over the top. We keep looking at big P5 schools as examples, but a better option would be to do whatever Montana is doing.
Boise State averages 5,000 more people than our stadium holds.....
So who does better? The metro population of 709,000 that can't sell out a stadium or the metro population of 130,000 who can't sell out theirs. One team attracts 5% of their population and the other 19%. We've saturated our market and have nothing in common with a team that barely taps their own. Boise is a much bigger program nationally, is more successful, and has absolutely no competition for butts in the seats. Yet they only sell out for BYU, just like us. Their attendance problems are very alarming considering the factors.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 03144.html

Like I say, we need to figure out what Montana is doing and emulate it. They are much more similar in that they too have saturated their market but unlike us, they've found ways to tap into streams within that saturated market. They have competition a short distance away at MSU, a similar metro area to ours at 117,000, and manage to sell the thing out every game. The fact that they're FCS has no bearing, because like us, they are the major football product in their town and compete with programs in the same division three hours away. Boise does a horrible job considering what they have to draw from. Montana does a wonderful job, and so does Montana State. See the link below. Similar stadiums, similar metro areas... Maybe they're on to something? Maybe the next time we hire ticket office managers or someone for marketing, we can grab one of theirs. Or maybe we can pay to keep ours after we have them all trained and all the bugs are worked out. That's typically when they inevitably get poached by a lateral school that will pay them more.

https://gogriz.com/news/2017/1/30/griz- ... -year.aspx
Like I said in another post, I really don’t care who does better percentage-wise. To me, that’s a meaningless metric. The important metric is whether our current level of support can sustain a winning program. Period. Nothing else matters. My argument is that our current level of support cannot reasonably be expected to get us to where we want to go regardless of whatever percentage of the population it happens to be.
I was merely referring to your belief that Boise does a better job filling their stadium relative to a 20 year run of success and seven times our population. When speaking of filling stadiums, surrounding population is a key metric. Bottom line: we do a better job than Boise of getting our metro area to show up.

Now that we have that out of the way, my argument is the exact same as yours. We need more support, which is why I suggested looking at similar schools and metro populations.

The main crux of my argument had nothing to do with Boise, because they aren't like us, which I explained in the prior post. Montana and Montana State are more similar. For the guy a few posts back who says you can't fill your stadium without 40 years of success, go back to the Montana article and look at Montana State's numbers. They've had ups and downs just like we have, but they still averaged 17,900 (with a capacity of 17,777, MSU is standing room only every game at 101% capacity). This argument has nothing to do with FCS v FBS. When it comes to Saturdays in the fall, some teams that are very similar to us are finding ways to get people to spend those Saturdays watching college football in their venue. I'm trying to figure out why we can't do the same.



bluegrouse
Posts: 3213
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by bluegrouse » September 20th, 2018, 8:54 am

Ahbye wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 5:22 am
bluegrouse wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 10:39 pm
Ahbye wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:34 am
bluegrouse wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 1:31 pm
Ahbye wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm
Boise very rarely sells out their games. We do pretty good for where we are, but we need to market to different demographics to put us over the top. We keep looking at big P5 schools as examples, but a better option would be to do whatever Montana is doing.
Boise State averages 5,000 more people than our stadium holds.....
So who does better? The metro population of 709,000 that can't sell out a stadium or the metro population of 130,000 who can't sell out theirs. One team attracts 5% of their population and the other 19%. We've saturated our market and have nothing in common with a team that barely taps their own. Boise is a much bigger program nationally, is more successful, and has absolutely no competition for butts in the seats. Yet they only sell out for BYU, just like us. Their attendance problems are very alarming considering the factors.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 03144.html

Like I say, we need to figure out what Montana is doing and emulate it. They are much more similar in that they too have saturated their market but unlike us, they've found ways to tap into streams within that saturated market. They have competition a short distance away at MSU, a similar metro area to ours at 117,000, and manage to sell the thing out every game. The fact that they're FCS has no bearing, because like us, they are the major football product in their town and compete with programs in the same division three hours away. Boise does a horrible job considering what they have to draw from. Montana does a wonderful job, and so does Montana State. See the link below. Similar stadiums, similar metro areas... Maybe they're on to something? Maybe the next time we hire ticket office managers or someone for marketing, we can grab one of theirs. Or maybe we can pay to keep ours after we have them all trained and all the bugs are worked out. That's typically when they inevitably get poached by a lateral school that will pay them more.

https://gogriz.com/news/2017/1/30/griz- ... -year.aspx
Like I said in another post, I really don’t care who does better percentage-wise. To me, that’s a meaningless metric. The important metric is whether our current level of support can sustain a winning program. Period. Nothing else matters. My argument is that our current level of support cannot reasonably be expected to get us to where we want to go regardless of whatever percentage of the population it happens to be.
I was merely referring to your belief that Boise does a better job filling their stadium relative to a 20 year run of success and seven times our population. When speaking of filling stadiums, surrounding population is a key metric. Bottom line: we do a better job than Boise of getting our metro area to show up.

Now that we have that out of the way, my argument is the exact same as yours. We need more support, which is why I suggested looking at similar schools and metro populations.

The main crux of my argument had nothing to do with Boise, because they aren't like us, which I explained in the prior post. Montana and Montana State are more similar. For the guy a few posts back who says you can't fill your stadium without 40 years of success, go back to the Montana article and look at Montana State's numbers. They've had ups and downs just like we have, but they still averaged 17,900 (with a capacity of 17,777, MSU is standing room only every game at 101% capacity). This argument has nothing to do with FCS v FBS. When it comes to Saturdays in the fall, some teams that are very similar to us are finding ways to get people to spend those Saturdays watching college football in their venue. I'm trying to figure out why we can't do the same.
It’s not a belief. It’s a fact. They average 5,000 more than our stadium holds. I said nothing about percentages or 20-year runs or population or anything else.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5890
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 308 times
Contact:

Re: One Last Attendance Post

Post by TheAKAggie » September 20th, 2018, 9:03 am

Ahbye wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 10:39 pm
Ahbye wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:34 am
bluegrouse wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 1:31 pm
Ahbye wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm
Boise very rarely sells out their games. We do pretty good for where we are, but we need to market to different demographics to put us over the top. We keep looking at big P5 schools as examples, but a better option would be to do whatever Montana is doing.
Boise State averages 5,000 more people than our stadium holds.....
So who does better? The metro population of 709,000 that can't sell out a stadium or the metro population of 130,000 who can't sell out theirs. One team attracts 5% of their population and the other 19%. We've saturated our market and have nothing in common with a team that barely taps their own. Boise is a much bigger program nationally, is more successful, and has absolutely no competition for butts in the seats. Yet they only sell out for BYU, just like us. Their attendance problems are very alarming considering the factors.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 03144.html

Like I say, we need to figure out what Montana is doing and emulate it. They are much more similar in that they too have saturated their market but unlike us, they've found ways to tap into streams within that saturated market. They have competition a short distance away at MSU, a similar metro area to ours at 117,000, and manage to sell the thing out every game. The fact that they're FCS has no bearing, because like us, they are the major football product in their town and compete with programs in the same division three hours away. Boise does a horrible job considering what they have to draw from. Montana does a wonderful job, and so does Montana State. See the link below. Similar stadiums, similar metro areas... Maybe they're on to something? Maybe the next time we hire ticket office managers or someone for marketing, we can grab one of theirs. Or maybe we can pay to keep ours after we have them all trained and all the bugs are worked out. That's typically when they inevitably get poached by a lateral school that will pay them more.

https://gogriz.com/news/2017/1/30/griz- ... -year.aspx
Like I said in another post, I really don’t care who does better percentage-wise. To me, that’s a meaningless metric. The important metric is whether our current level of support can sustain a winning program. Period. Nothing else matters. My argument is that our current level of support cannot reasonably be expected to get us to where we want to go regardless of whatever percentage of the population it happens to be.
I was merely referring to your belief that Boise does a better job filling their stadium relative to a 20 year run of success and seven times our population. When speaking of filling stadiums, surrounding population is a key metric. Bottom line: we do a better job than Boise of getting our metro area to show up.

Now that we have that out of the way, my argument is the exact same as yours. We need more support, which is why I suggested looking at similar schools and metro populations.

The main crux of my argument had nothing to do with Boise, because they aren't like us, which I explained in the prior post. Montana and Montana State are more similar. For the guy a few posts back who says you can't fill your stadium without 40 years of success, go back to the Montana article and look at Montana State's numbers. They've had ups and downs just like we have, but they still averaged 17,900 (with a capacity of 17,777, MSU is standing room only every game at 101% capacity). This argument has nothing to do with FCS v FBS. When it comes to Saturdays in the fall, some teams that are very similar to us are finding ways to get people to spend those Saturdays watching college football in their venue. I'm trying to figure out why we can't do the same.
TL:DR Ahbye misses Mick Dennehy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic