New coaches need time?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueAggie

New coaches need time?

Post by BigBlueAggie » October 12th, 2018, 10:27 am

Was thinking about how, thanks to USU not having money to buy coaches out early, Coach Wells was given ample time to "mature" into being a Head Coach. While this can be frustrating for us impatient fans, it is surely paying off now.

I then stumbled upon this article in USA Today about how badly some big name 1st year coaches are doing. Note that Gary Anderson leaving Oregon State midstream gets mentioned:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 606785002/

Wonder if anyone will give him a head coaching job again. Or if he even wants that.
Last edited by BigBlueAggie on October 12th, 2018, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newhouse9

Re: New coaches need time?

Post by newhouse9 » October 12th, 2018, 10:42 am

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of this year plays out. We had a lot of starters coming back, but it looks like we are bringing in some good recruits also. Winning cures a lot of stresses.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 12th, 2018, 10:54 am

That's the problem with leaving a G5 for a P5 school as a HC, the pressure is on to start winning immediately or the alum and admin get real cranky real fast. Had GA stuck around at OSU, he would have been having another TERRIBLE year, and we wouldn't have Chucky back (presumably) :)

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » October 12th, 2018, 11:30 am

If he can stay and consistently reach bowl games for another 20 years, that would be about the same payout as a 4 year failed, but guaranteed attempt at a P5 school if he gets an offer. Its got to be hard to turn that down.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 12th, 2018, 11:50 am

Aggie_CEE wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 11:30 am
If he can stay and consistently reach bowl games for another 20 years, that would be about the same payout as a 4 year failed, but guaranteed attempt at a P5 school if he gets an offer. Its got to be hard to turn that down.
Yeah, but at some point money is not as important as leaving a legacy. You're not going to be remembered because you had $20M in your bank account at some point. Instead you could have had $10M in your bank account at some point (the difference in happiness from the money is likely marginal), but have a statue out front of a stadium and a program that you built and people remember you for it. See Lavell Edwards.

However, leaving to go to a program that you think you can improve and compete for a national championship because you want to compete with the best... I can see that. Utah State offers less access to those opportunities than a P5 school. I sincerely think that's why Gary left, not necessarily for the money. Would Gary have had continued success at USU? I think so, but who knows. Now he is just a blip in coaching history with a decent stack of cash (and apparently some pretty ugly personal baggage).

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » October 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Pros and cons for each, but Lavell was a rare case and most chase the money. I think Wells jumps ship, especially if anything near the state of Oklahoma opens up. I'd also be surprised if Yost stays if opportunities come knocking this fall, especially since he's admitted there is nothing to do in Logan.

Chod

Post by Chod » October 12th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Aggie_CEE wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm
Pros and cons for each, but Lavell was a rare case and most chase the money. I think Wells jumps ship, especially if anything near the state of Oklahoma opens up. I'd also be surprised if Yost stays if opportunities come knocking this fall, especially since he's admitted there is nothing to do in Logan.
What do you mean there is nothing to do in Logan. A quick Google search found at least 6 things:
  • 1-American West Heritage Center
    2-Hyrum State Park
    3-Hardware Ranch
    4-Ryan's Place Park
    5-Whittier Center (Park)
    6-Zootah (Willow Park Zoo)
ok... you're right. There isn't much to do in Logan outside Watching the Aggies play. :utah: :state:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 12th, 2018, 2:40 pm

I do think Wells deserves credit, but in the end players make the plays. I think sometimes you get a group that lacks leaders and don't buy into the coaches or system. Seems there was a lot of discord for 3 years there where players didn't like Wells and Wells "played favorites" with others. I don't get that same vibe from this year's collection of players. I think Yost and Patterson also have something to do with it.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 12th, 2018, 5:17 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 11:50 am
Aggie_CEE wrote:
Yeah, but at some point money is not as important as leaving a legacy. You're not going to be remembered because you had $20M in your bank account at some point. Instead you could have had $10M in your bank account at some point (the difference in happiness from the money is likely marginal), but have a statue out front of a stadium and a program that you built and people remember you for it. See Lavell Edwards.

However, leaving to go to a program that you think you can improve and compete for a national championship because you want to compete with the best... I can see that. Utah State offers less access to those opportunities than a P5 school. I sincerely think that's why Gary left, not necessarily for the money. Would Gary have had continued success at USU? I think so, but who knows. Now he is just a blip in coaching history with a decent stack of cash (and apparently some pretty ugly personal baggage).
One quick thought on this: John L. Smith.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

by Chod » Today, 1:24 pm
Aggie_CEE wrote: ↑
Today, 1:00 pm
What do you mean there is nothing to do in Logan. A quick Google search found at least 6 things:
1-American West Heritage Center
2-Hyrum State Park
3-Hardware Ranch
4-Ryan's Place Park
5-Whittier Center (Park)
ok... you're right. There isn't much to do in Logan outside Watching the Aggies play.

We had some non-Aggie friends from Oregon who moved to Logan. They LOVED it, precisely because there was SO MUCH to do, most of it associated with the university. Especially during the school year, if you're willing to lift a finger to look, there is something going on practically every night. Of course there are the sporting events, and not just football and men's basketball, but all the other varsity sports, and some great club sports. The hockey games are a blast! Then there are the concerts, the plays, events like "The Last Lecture", the Messiah sing along, visiting professors....

If you can't find something to do in Logan, it's your own damned fault.

I'm not ready to retire yet. I still enjoy what I do. But when I do, I will probably move back to Logan, precisely because of what there is to do.

The restaurant scene is a different matter....

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 12th, 2018, 6:10 pm

LKGates wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:17 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 11:50 am
Aggie_CEE wrote:

One quick thought on this: John L. Smith.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

by Chod » Today, 1:24 pm
Aggie_CEE wrote: ↑
Today, 1:00 pm
1-American West Heritage Center
2-Hyrum State Park
3-Hardware Ranch
4-Ryan's Place Park
5-Whittier Center (Park)
ok... you're right. There isn't much to do in Logan outside Watching the Aggies play.

We had some non-Aggie friends from Oregon who moved to Logan. They LOVED it, precisely because there was SO MUCH to do, most of it associated with the university. Especially during the school year, if you're willing to lift a finger to look, there is something going on practically every night. Of course there are the sporting events, and not just football and men's basketball, but all the other varsity sports, and some great club sports. The hockey games are a blast! Then there are the concerts, the plays, events like "The Last Lecture", the Messiah sing along, visiting professors....

If you can't find something to do in Logan, it's your own damned fault.

I'm not ready to retire yet. I still enjoy what I do. But when I do, I will probably move back to Logan, precisely because of what there is to do.

Brilliant, Herr Professor Doktor G!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 12th, 2018, 6:56 pm

USU78 wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:10 pm
Brilliant, Herr Professor Doktor G!
Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all week! Try the brisket! Remember to tip your waitress! I'm available for weddings and Bar Mitzvahs!

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » October 12th, 2018, 7:12 pm

[/quote]

Retired and spend the summers in Logan. At least the scene is improving....Krumb Brothers Wednesday night wine and dine is amazing and only $20 for a four course meal.....and you can bring your own bottle for a tiny corkage fee (I think that will change, currently around $5.00 I think). Kabuki is a great place for sushi at miniscule prices. Le Nonne has stood the test of time. And Elements has a two for $49 dinner that is an extraordinary value. And of course for you comfort food folks Black Bear Diner serves up huge servings and perhaps the best eggs benedict/hash browns I've ever had.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 12th, 2018, 7:35 pm

While Logan is lacking in Michelin stars, there are plenty of good/new places to eat outside of chain restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 12th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Depends on the coach and situation going in. A coach inheriting a team from a coach that was fired shouldn’t be expected to perform in year 1 as if they were replacing a coach that was hired to a bigger and better gig (presumably due to success- but not always)

Harsin at Boise probably had an easier transition than Gary at Oregon State. (Although I’m aware Riley wasn’t fired)

In addition I expect it is harder to build a team in more unforgiving conferences- especially one where you aren’t getting top recruits by conference alone. Sports is zero sum. I expect it’s just harder to break out in the PAC than it is the old WAC.

If Gary were to coach Boise if Harsin were to leave- Gary could take that team and it’s a good team. You could take Dabo and give him the team Gary had when he started at Oregon State, I expect that it’d be garbage for a period of time.

I think Gary could absolutely coach again. But I will say I saw major changes in his physique. He aged like a President. I’m also not sure he wants to be head coach again.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » October 12th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Chod wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 2:24 pm
Aggie_CEE wrote:
    2-Hyrum State Park
    3-Hardware Ranch
    4-Ryan's Place Park
    5-Whittier Center (Park)
ok... you're right. There isn't much to do in Logan outside Watching the Aggies play. :utah: :state:
Just gotta say... I went on a date tonight and was planning what to do this morning. I looked on some event calendars and events on Facebook and found a comedy show, good orchestra concert, and a dance all going on tonight. This has been the case many times, and often times the less popular events are a lot of fun. If anybody makes a small effort to search, there are plenty of things to do here!

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » October 13th, 2018, 1:25 am

Chod wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 2:24 pm
Aggie_CEE wrote:
    2-Hyrum State Park
    3-Hardware Ranch
    4-Ryan's Place Park
    5-Whittier Center (Park)
This is a work in progress, but maybe my friends and I can convince coach Yost otherwise. www.nothingtodoinlogan.com

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic