Friday Night MWC Bowl Game Implications

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
YoungBloodAggie
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 355 times

Friday Night MWC Bowl Game Implications

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 19th, 2018, 11:38 pm

Air Force beats UNLV.

The Zoomies are going to have to thread the needle to make a bowl game. They are sitting at 3-4, and their next two games are home against Boise State and on the road at Army. They will likely lose both of those (although I wouldn't mind them beating the Donks!), and will need to win 3/3 against UNM (HOME), WYO (ROAD), and CSU (HOME) to finish out the season. I am guessing they will probably drop one of those three, given their issues with consistency this year.

I don't know about y'all, but I feel bad for Tony Sanchez. This season was looking like the breakthrough year to get to a bowl game before Armani Rogers went out. Now they need to win four out of five against SJSU (ROAD), Fresno (HOME), SDSU (AWAY), HAW (AWAY), and Nevada (HOME). That would be one hell of a finish to the season for them. They'll likely finish 3-9 or 4-8 and have to try again next year, hoping that another year of Sanchez at the helm gives them more depth and skill.

Boise thwomps Colorado State.

How do the Rams have three wins? Honestly, they are terrible. They show the occasional offensive outburst, but usually only when the other team has the game already sewn up. They will need to win three of their last four against WYO (HOME), Nevada (ROAD), USU (HOME), and AFA (ROAD). They could MAYBE go 2-2 with that schedule, but honestly I think 0-4 is more likely than 2-2 given how they've played most of the year. CSU is probably not bowling this year.

Boise is looking good. They need to win one more game, and will probably get it done next week on the road against AFA. If not, they'll likely be favored against BYU (HOME) and UNM (ROAD) or could win big matchups against Fresno or Utah State on home turf. The Broncos are much more concerned with a Mountain Division championship right now than bowl eligibility.

My guesses for bowl eligible teams in the MWC:
USU (10-2), Boise (10-2), SDSU (10-2), Fresno (10-2), Hawaii (8-5), and Nevada (6-6).

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

YoungBloodAggie

Re: Friday Night MWC Bowl Game Implications

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 19th, 2018, 11:45 pm

To take it a step further, here are the bowl games each team will play in:
Vegas - Fresno State
Potato - Boise State
New Mexico - Utah State
Hawai'i - Hawai'i
Arizona - Nevada
Cheez It - SDSU

GeoAg
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by GeoAg » October 19th, 2018, 11:48 pm

Is there any real chance we get anyone in the Cheezit bowl? I doubt it. Would love to be wrong.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 19th, 2018, 11:57 pm

GeoAg wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 11:48 pm
Is there any real chance we get anyone in the Cheezit bowl? I doubt it. Would love to be wrong.
Game is currently Pac-12 vs. Big 12.

I'm guessing Big 12 will have six or seven eligible teams. If they have seven, they will fill up all spots. If they have seven and either Texas, WVU, or OU somehow sneaks into the CFP (not likely), they will not fill up all spots. If they have six, they won't fill up all spots. I think Cheez-It would be the odd bowl out.

I'm also thinking seven bowl eligible teams for the Pac-12. They have seven tie-ins, and are almost certainly not getting a team into the CFP at this point. I think SDSU would play a Pac-12 team in the Cheez-It bowl, but another possible landing spot for them (or any MWC team that is picked last) would be the Liberty Bowl if the SEC puts a team in the CFP (spoiler alert, they will). The SEC has 11 total slots, including CFP, and I think they'll have ten teams eligible. ACC also has 11 spots to fill and probably won't make their quota.

For now let's just assume that Cheez-It bowl could stand in for any bowl that the MWC would pick up.

ineptimusprime
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 426 times

Post by ineptimusprime » October 20th, 2018, 12:13 am

If we don’t make the Vegas Bowl or fill another conference’s empty spot in a new, fun bowl (or a NY6 bowl—hey, I can dream right?), I hope it’s Boise. I could make that work.

WAaggieFan
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by WAaggieFan » October 20th, 2018, 11:04 am

56 to 28? Did Harsin take his foot off the gas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic