Get your redneck butts to the stadium

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 27th, 2018, 6:23 pm

I don't care if Bambi needs a bullet placed in his skull right this moment. Go to the freaking game. We could make the orange bowl and only sell 500 tickets because it interferes with mutton bustin' or national beaver trap day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokin Joe

Re: Get your redneck butts to the stadium

Post by Smokin Joe » October 27th, 2018, 6:48 pm

We are witnessing Aggie history being made. These are heady days. No reason not to pack that stadium for a top 25 team. If I weren't 700 miles away, I'd be there too.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 27th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I was extremely disappointed with the turnout. They even did another $6k promotion for the students and I kind of doing there was anywhere near 6k students there.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » October 27th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Student section mid 4th quarter, time to call out the Hurd.

#hornsup!

SectionFaggie

Post by SectionFaggie » October 27th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 7:39 pm
Nah. Good student attendance on Stadium shots in the first half. Hard to argue with a warm home couch in a 50 point can-o-whoop-aXX kinda game.

I would hope that alumni groups, community groups and groups of friends consider going to the last home game and enjoying a good tailgate and a great Aggie team. That sort of "oh, I need to go by Joe and Diane's tailgate" kinda thing will drive attendance.

Wish I could be there.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 27th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Student attendance was never “good” today but wasn’t too bad in the first half. Upper east side was pretty empty. NE and SE lower corners too.

They gave shirts away to a bunch of students at the half and they had to lineup above the student section to get them and that really cleared those sections out.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » October 27th, 2018, 8:27 pm

It was a pathetic crowd considering it was Oct 27 and 67 degrees at kickoff and a team that will be top 25 tomorrow afternoon. Student section 2/3 full and upper east just over 1/2 . Disappointing for sure.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » October 27th, 2018, 8:49 pm

With a turn out like that I'd prefer going back to night games with TV exposure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 27th, 2018, 8:52 pm

I think we are seeing that turnout is determined more by preseason expectations than in-season form, although both have an impact. UNM is also just not a huge draw for our fans, especially when they are sub .500 for the season. Having said that, I would not miss a single game if I lived within 300 miles.

SJSU will probably be about the same, if not a little worse. I am still happy to see that our attendance has been much better than anticipated this year. Hopefully we get one more home game after SJSU!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » October 27th, 2018, 8:55 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 8:27 pm
It was a pathetic crowd considering it was Oct 27 and 67 degrees at kickoff and a team that will be top 25 tomorrow afternoon. Student section 2/3 full and upper east just over 1/2 . Disappointing for sure.
So much for the winning/attendance theory. While it (winning} is definitely a factor, its plain to see its not the determining one. when it comes to attendance and USU. 17K with a 7-1 team? Are you kidding me?

I'm sure USU has done a cross-sectional analysis on USU football attendance. What does it show? Where does the AD focus his resources to get the most bang for his buck? Is it a matter of time more than anything or do you overhaul your strategy? :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 27th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Was it fall break for the students? Deer hunt? I hate to say it but that usu and cache valley don’t deserve a good team with that kind of turn out. Small time

Someone needs to call out the valley folks. Coach wells, team , media? Someone. Kind of pathetic today.

GUS

Post by GUS » October 27th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Chatman wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 8:57 pm
Was it fall break for the students? Deer hunt? I hate to say it but that usu and cache valley don’t deserve a good team with that kind of turn out. Small time

Someone needs to call out the valley folks. Coach wells, team , media? Someone. Kind of pathetic today.
Why is it just Cache Valley doesn't deserve a good team? Seems like the Wasatch front Aggies didn't go to the game either.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » October 27th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Watching the Fresno game... they are 6-1 as well and they have a less then half filled stadium. What’s their excuse? They have many more people/fans I am sure.

Where only sage brush grows

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 27th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Bums me out. Wish I could be there for the team.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » October 27th, 2018, 9:46 pm

16,119.......so disappointing.

This is not a cache valley issue. It's a Utah/southern Idaho issue. We have to draw from the whole area to fill the stadium. There is far more alum along the Wasatch front then in CV. I have young kids, a pregnant wife and live 300 miles away and still try to make most games. Wasn't there today due to be on call at the hospital. I wish it was a higher priority for others but I'm starting to lose faith in Aggie fans.

With that said, the new way of counting tickets scanned is making it look worse then compared with previous years of counting tickets sold.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » October 27th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Unfortunately for most of our casual fans unless the opponent is BYU or Boise State the interest level isn't going to be as high.

Good weather, deer hunt, the Howl, or Fall break don't have as much to do with the attendance as it is the casual fan's perspective of our opponent.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 27th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Our fans are garbage. We get way beyond what we deserve with this team and have for years. Tickets are cheap. This team is worth every penny and more. I worry that over time we will end up back with the team we deserve.

I personally will reach out to every Aggie and know and more to try and get them to the SJSU game. We all should.

Everyone needs to enjoy this once in a lifetime team before they are gone.

We have two weeks. I'll buy two extras and give them away if I have to to get the d@$#% place filled.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 27th, 2018, 10:17 pm

usufan1 wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 9:51 pm
Unfortunately for most of our casual fans unless the opponent is BYU or Boise State the interest level isn't going to be as high.
That is definitely part of the problem but the attendance is also skewed for those games. When we play Utah, BYU or Boise, they bring a ton more fans than a team like New Mexico, San Jose or UNLV. A big part of the reason that attendance looks so good at those games is because of opposing fans. I remember the game where we beat Boise. The upper east side was almost all orange.

For most of our fans, going to a game is what you do if you don't have anything else to do. I'm bummed that I wasn't able to make it today (had a family event in Utah County that didn't end until 12:30) and I'll have to miss the next home game as well (business trip). This team is fun to watch. Our 12 win team was fun to watch but our offense this year is really something special.

newtonianblue

Post by newtonianblue » October 27th, 2018, 10:24 pm

I felt bad for the team...we were on the field when the captains made their way out for the coin toss and the first thing they did was look at the stands - the disappointment was written all over their faces, it was obvious. I have no idea what it will take to fill this stadium. We got five extra there with us today but this was straight up unbelievable. Perfect fall weather, and yeah I get that this wasn’t a big draw opponent but wow. This team deserves sooooo much more!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 27th, 2018, 10:35 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 6:23 pm
I don't care if Bambi needs a bullet placed in his skull right this moment. Go to the freaking game. We could make the orange bowl and only sell 500 tickets because it interferes with mutton bustin' or national beaver trap day.
This will help get people to the games.

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » October 27th, 2018, 11:15 pm

AngusAg wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
So much for the winning/attendance theory. While it (winning} is definitely a factor, its plain to see its not the determining one. when it comes to attendance and USU. 17K with a 7-1 team? Are you kidding me?

I'm sure USU has done a cross-sectional analysis on USU football attendance. What does it show? Where does the AD focus his resources to get the most bang for his buck? Is it a matter of time more than anything or do you overhaul your strategy? :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:
I actually did this for a senior project for my econ class. I should post my results here. The biggest factor for attendance was opponent then followed by weather. Our record was not even close to a top three factor. Also it didn't appear that time of day was a significant factor.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » October 27th, 2018, 11:19 pm

Bybs25 wrote:
AngusAg wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:

I actually did this for a senior project for my econ class. I should post my results here. The biggest factor for attendance was opponent then followed by weather. Our record was not even close to a top three factor. Also it didn't appear that time of day was a significant factor.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Yes, please share your results! Interesting that opponent is #1 reason. For me, a blow out of Tenn Tech is just as fun as a close game with byu or Boise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 27th, 2018, 11:23 pm

AngusAg wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 8:55 pm
A lot of people tend to forget how dreadful our attendance was just a few short years ago. It wasn't that many years ago that I was buying front row seats on the west side for $10-15/each a week before a game. The student section was less than a quarter full and the upper east side had so few fans that you could count them by hand from the other side. Winning has increased attendance (not to where it needs to be) but more than that, it has allowed USU to raise ticket prices substantially.

N3lyak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by N3lyak » October 27th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Just a quick glance, the best record of any team we've faced at home this year is currently 3-5 (it ranges from 3-5 to 0-8). That's a pathetic home schedule. That isn't USU's fault, but it certainly does affect attendance.

And things don't get any better with the last home game being against a current 1-7 team.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 28th, 2018, 12:26 am

Hartwell was pointing out that USU fans are running out of excuses and I have to agree... we have a winning team, afternoon kickoffs, affordable tickets, and good weather. Now the excuse is that we don’t have big opponents?? C’mon...

Sr. Tubastank
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sr. Tubastank » October 28th, 2018, 12:33 am

So sick of people saying...”the team we’re playing is no good”. Who freakin cares who we are playing! Last time I checked, I was there to watch the Aggies! People complain because the games are too late...well??!! The reality is people will always have an excuse.

@Call_It_Ustate

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 28th, 2018, 12:51 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
AngusAg wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 8:55 pm
A lot of people tend to forget how dreadful our attendance was just a few short years ago. It wasn't that many years ago that I was buying front row seats on the west side for $10-15/each a week before a game. The student section was less than a quarter full and the upper east side had so few fans that you could count them by hand from the other side. Winning has increased attendance (not to where it needs to be) but more than that, it has allowed USU to raise ticket prices substantially.
Perhaps they raised them too much too soon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 28th, 2018, 12:52 am

We had 5,000 more people two weeks ago against a worse opponent. Same weather, same kickoff time. I don’t believe Homecoming accounts for anywhere near the difference. We also had bigger crowds for NMSU and Tennessee Tech that didn’t mean nearly as much. I just don’t get it. I don’t.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » October 28th, 2018, 3:19 am

Bottom line is our alumni and community don't deserve this program. This is absolutely not talking about the people on this board. This group is certainly not the problem. The problem is the community in general.

I don't know what more the university can do to get people in. Tickets are cheap. The team is top notch quality. The conference situation is as good as it is going to get. The stadium has been renovated. The school has put out marketing programs to promote the program.

The bottom line must be that people in Cache Valley and the alumni along the Wasatch Front just don't care. It's really sad, but at some point that becomes the reality.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » October 28th, 2018, 4:15 am

Coming from a guy who rarely gets to come back to a game, I can't imagine why locals don't go. I can't think of a better place to be on a Saturday than at a USU football game. I miss it every time I watch. Maybe they need to live somewhere far away to appreciate what they have! My doggone brothers will go if I buy them a ticket, which I may do for the SJ game. they should have season tickets! Drives me crazy!

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 28th, 2018, 5:02 am

SectionFaggie wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 7:54 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 7:39 pm
Nah. Good student attendance on Stadium shots in the first half. Hard to argue with a warm home couch in a 50 point can-o-whoop-aXX kinda game.

I would hope that alumni groups, community groups and groups of friends consider going to the last home game and enjoying a good tailgate and a great Aggie team. That sort of "oh, I need to go by Joe and Diane's tailgate" kinda thing will drive attendance.

Wish I could be there.
Student attendance today was a joke; less than 2,000 students for sure probably less.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 28th, 2018, 7:17 am

I don’t even have anything to say. Utah State fans stink. It is sad because this is a great team that deserves more. At the end of the year our coaches will bolt and we will be playing the lottery again. I want to be happy about the play on the field, but the attendance is really dragging me down.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 28th, 2018, 9:04 am

All are Welcome at the Clown Car tailgate, spots 47-49 (I think).

Hail Aggies!

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » October 28th, 2018, 9:15 am

Maybe we should pass a law requiring all citizens to attend games. Do I wish attendance was better? Of course I do. What I’m not going to do is let the actions of others dictate my happiness. I had a great time at the game yesterday, loved every minute of it, from my chick-Fil-a sandwich to the kid running out to pick up the tee. We all have choices of how we spend our time and disposable income. Thank goodness we live in a country where this is possible. GO AGGIES!!!!

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 28th, 2018, 9:39 am

FeartheFro wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 9:15 am
Maybe we should pass a law requiring all citizens to attend games. Do I wish attendance was better? Of course I do. What I’m not going to do is let the actions of others dictate my happiness. I had a great time at the game yesterday, loved every minute of it, from my chick-Fil-a sandwich to the kid running out to pick up the tee. We all have choices of how we spend our time and disposable income. Thank goodness we live in a country where this is possible. GO AGGIES!!!!

People are capable of thinking two thoughts at once. (1) I was thrilled to be in Maverik Stadium yesterday, on a perfect day, with my brothers, watching a methodical win by talented well-coached players. I enjoyed everything you did (down to the Chick-fil-A!) (2) our ability to enjoy these things and the high level of play of these players and coaches on a consistent basis is undermined by the unwillingness to support the program by 80% of USU graduates, and it's frustrating to those of us who do support it. Good coaches need to paid well. Good players want to be supported by their students and fans. A 1/3 empty stadium for an afternoon game in perfect weather featuring a team on a 6-game win streak and players who are talented and fun to watch is a warning sign.

Nobody here knows anything.

Locked Previous topicNext topic