Week 8 Game Grades: Utah State vs. New Mexico

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Week 8 Game Grades: Utah State vs. New Mexico

Post by aggies22 » October 29th, 2018, 2:38 pm

These are much less critical than the grades earned (or not earned) last week at Wyoming. Thanks for reading guys!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 123961444/

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Week 8 Game Grades: Utah State vs. New Mexico

Post by aggies22 » October 31st, 2018, 7:13 am

I was just hoping for this to be read a little more since it already got pushed to the second page.

smallz
Has thanked: 0

Post by smallz » October 31st, 2018, 8:25 am

You pointed out the secondary's issue of giving up big passing plays. Luckily for that group neither New Mexico's QBs nor their receivers showed up for the game. New Mexico missed on a lot of opportunities. I can't really put my finger on what is causing the issue and or how to resolve it. Is it a matter of the coaches making the decision telling the players to key on the run so much, lack of discipline with where the secondary has their eyes, or a scheme issue?

Machismo

Post by Machismo » October 31st, 2018, 9:07 am

To me the secondary looks like it has good Athletes that can compete so IMO it's not a talent issue. From what I've seen it looks like communication breakdown, some of the Opponents Receivers are so wide open it looks like blown coverages.
Maybe some Folks here that have a better Eye for coverages and Scheme could chime in. Hickaggie?

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 1st, 2018, 10:25 pm

I guess we will get our answer this week against Hawaii concerning the secondary play. I hate to jinx that group but I cannot refrain from commending them for their solid play. Machismo is correct we have excellent athletes on the corners and depth at that position as well. They seem to be very good at hard and soft press coverage and are spot on off the break. I may be off base but they seem to have gotten away from the traditional technique and are adopting more of a Nick Saben approach to the position...yes we have been the victim of some long balls but I am not sure we have been victimized by home run to the house plays...the corners always seem to be even or just behind the receiver...seldom in front trying to play catch up. Also important...this is a group who tackles well...much better than the BYU group. My only criticism is they are vulnerable to pass interference or catches when the pass is underthrown e.g. Air Force and BYU games. That comes with experience and mastering technique. KP and FM have done a superb job with the D this year. Kudos to the corners because KP's system demands a lot from them.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » November 2nd, 2018, 11:49 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 10:25 pm
I guess we will get our answer this week against Hawaii concerning the secondary play. I hate to jinx that group but I cannot refrain from commending them for their solid play. Machismo is correct we have excellent athletes on the corners and depth at that position as well. They seem to be very good at hard and soft press coverage and are spot on off the break. I may be off base but they seem to have gotten away from the traditional technique and are adopting more of a Nick Saben approach to the position...yes we have been the victim of some long balls but I am not sure we have been victimized by home run to the house plays...the corners always seem to be even or just behind the receiver...seldom in front trying to play catch up. Also important...this is a group who tackles well...much better than the BYU group. My only criticism is they are vulnerable to pass interference or catches when the pass is underthrown e.g. Air Force and BYU games. That comes with experience and mastering technique. KP and FM have done a superb job with the D this year. Kudos to the corners because KP's system demands a lot from them.
Thanks MAB real nice info, things to watch for. Hoping we have a solid performance, I'm sorta nervous about this next Offense we face.

Locked Previous topicNext topic