Band and Cheerleaders

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
blueaggie
Posts: 949
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Band and Cheerleaders

Post by blueaggie » November 19th, 2018, 6:19 pm

I hope the band and cheerleaders will be at the game on Saturday! :utah: :state: Go Aggies! !



bleu
Posts: 1341
Joined: September 21st, 2012, 4:47 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by bleu » November 19th, 2018, 7:31 pm

They will not. I know, it seems crazy to me as well.



blueaggie
Posts: 949
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by blueaggie » November 19th, 2018, 7:48 pm

That is crazy! The biggest game in Aggie history and no band or cheerleaders! They should be at every Boise game! :bangwall:

:utah: :state:



Olderthandirt
Posts: 220
Joined: September 1st, 2018, 2:00 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 18 times
Contact:

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by Olderthandirt » November 19th, 2018, 8:26 pm

I thought the cheerleaders went to every game.



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1191
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by trombone_ninja » November 19th, 2018, 9:07 pm

I mean, I think we all knew it was going to be big, but did we really know how big it would be until recently? This kind of trip would’ve had to be planned quite a long time in advance.


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

usufan1
Posts: 535
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by usufan1 » November 19th, 2018, 9:30 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:I mean, I think we all knew it was going to be big, but did we really know how big it would be until recently? This kind of trip would’ve had to be planned quite a long time in advance.
Seeing how the Aggies were playing mid-season wouldn't have been enough time?

It's a day drive up there, and the game has a late start time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk




JFWAggie
Posts: 275
Joined: August 4th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by JFWAggie » November 19th, 2018, 10:09 pm

This is pathetic, Utah State always looks small time when they pull this crap



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1191
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by trombone_ninja » November 19th, 2018, 10:21 pm

usufan1 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 9:30 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:I mean, I think we all knew it was going to be big, but did we really know how big it would be until recently? This kind of trip would’ve had to be planned quite a long time in advance.
Seeing how the Aggies were playing mid-season wouldn't have been enough time?

It's a day drive up there, and the game has a late start time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah.... not really. There’s all kinds of logistics to work out when you decide to send 150 students out like that on a whim, especially with how tight the music department’s budget is. It’s also a lot more difficult to expect students who aren’t athletes to travel over thanksgiving break.

I’m not happy about it, either, I’m just listing off some of the explanations you’d get if you asked any of the higher ups in the College of the Arts.


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

Imakeitrain
Posts: 6308
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by Imakeitrain » November 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 9:07 pm
I mean, I think we all knew it was going to be big, but did we really know how big it would be until recently? This kind of trip would’ve had to be planned quite a long time in advance.
Fair point. It would probably be pricey to take the entire band. Travel and at least 1 night hotel, plus just getting people to drop plans.

Showing up with just a pep band is likely not viable because how bands seem to like to play over each other and Boise’s band would just drown out a pep band.

Assuming the whole band can go and shares hotel rooms 2 to a room, im guessing we have about 80 band members... in my travel a Hampton inn type hotel is about $125 after tax- hotels would be about $5,000- meals would be another couple grand add in an estimate of 16 cheerleaders... maybe adds in $1,500... the cheerleaders maybe able to drive themselves in a Univetsity owned van or suburban but I’d guess the band would bus in... adding another estimated grand or so...

So my rough estimate is that it would cost $9,500 +/- $2,000... and that’s just a rough guess I’m probably missing costs- and i doubt the band gets per diem- but needless to say costs add up (I don’t know if we’d have to purchase those seats either- which could add a ton more)

It would be a logistical nightmare regardless of cost. Too bad. It would have been great to see and hear our band there.


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

JFWAggie
Posts: 275
Joined: August 4th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by JFWAggie » November 19th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 9:07 pm
I mean, I think we all knew it was going to be big, but did we really know how big it would be until recently? This kind of trip would’ve had to be planned quite a long time in advance.
Fair point. It would probably be pricey to take the entire band. Travel and at least 1 night hotel, plus just getting people to drop plans.

Showing up with just a pep band is likely not viable because how bands seem to like to play over each other and Boise’s band would just drown out a pep band.

Assuming the whole band can go and shares hotel rooms 2 to a room, im guessing we have about 80 band members... in my travel a Hampton inn type hotel is about $125 after tax- hotels would be about $5,000- meals would be another couple grand add in an estimate of 16 cheerleaders... maybe adds in $1,500... the cheerleaders maybe able to drive themselves in a Univetsity owned van or suburban but I’d guess the band would bus in... adding another estimated grand or so...

So my rough estimate is that it would cost $9,500 +/- $2,000... and that’s just a rough guess I’m probably missing costs- and i doubt the band gets per diem- but needless to say costs add up (I don’t know if we’d have to purchase those seats either- which could add a ton more)

It would be a logistical nightmare regardless of cost. Too bad. It would have been great to see and hear our band there.
Seems to me they could have bussed up Saturday, gone to game, swap drivers and drive home???



usufan1
Posts: 535
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by usufan1 » November 19th, 2018, 10:49 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 9:30 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:I mean, I think we all knew it was going to be big, but did we really know how big it would be until recently? This kind of trip would’ve had to be planned quite a long time in advance.
Seeing how the Aggies were playing mid-season wouldn't have been enough time?

It's a day drive up there, and the game has a late start time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah.... not really. There’s all kinds of logistics to work out when you decide to send 150 students out like that on a whim, especially with how tight the music department’s budget is. It’s also a lot more difficult to expect students who aren’t athletes to travel over thanksgiving break.

I’m not happy about it, either, I’m just listing off some of the explanations you’d get if you asked any of the higher ups in the College of the Arts.
Totally understand what you are saying.

I guess I'd think someone would have noticed this game could be huge and made the effort to get them there. Bus up and come back after the game, but at least show up when it's this close.

Keep winning games and hopefully one day we can get there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk




bleu
Posts: 1341
Joined: September 21st, 2012, 4:47 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by bleu » November 20th, 2018, 12:03 am

trombone_ninja wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 9:30 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:I mean, I think we all knew it was going to be big, but did we really know how big it would be until recently? This kind of trip would’ve had to be planned quite a long time in advance.
Seeing how the Aggies were playing mid-season wouldn't have been enough time?

It's a day drive up there, and the game has a late start time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah.... not really. There’s all kinds of logistics to work out when you decide to send 150 students out like that on a whim, especially with how tight the music department’s budget is. It’s also a lot more difficult to expect students who aren’t athletes to travel over thanksgiving break.

I’m not happy about it, either, I’m just listing off some of the explanations you’d get if you asked any of the higher ups in the College of the Arts.
It’s one thing to not send the full band. It’s another thing to not send 10 cheerleaders and Big Blue up. I was stunned when I heard this won’t be the case.



ususports
Posts: 1449
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by ususports » November 20th, 2018, 1:21 am

I just lost my motivation to go to the game. If there aren't any cheerleaders to see, what is there to watch in Boise?



Imakeitrain
Posts: 6308
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by Imakeitrain » November 20th, 2018, 5:38 am

ususports wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 1:21 am
I just lost my motivation to go to the game. If there aren't any cheerleaders to see, what is there to watch in Boise?
You never know man you can get their and the Boise cheerleaders will be like “I notived you like the Aggies, I also like to live dangerously”


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
AGNUMPI
Posts: 1271
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:41 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by AGNUMPI » November 20th, 2018, 6:17 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 5:38 am
ususports wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 1:21 am
I just lost my motivation to go to the game. If there aren't any cheerleaders to see, what is there to watch in Boise?
You never know man you can get their and the Boise cheerleaders will be like “I notived you like the Aggies, I also like to live dangerously”
They all have the same speech impediment.


"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3375
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by ratofallaggies » November 20th, 2018, 6:39 am

Don't care, I think the mark of a "big time program" is to win a big time game. I for one don't think the band and cheerleaders helps usu to win. Also, I go to football games to watch the football team.



User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score
Posts: 2227
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by bigblue » November 20th, 2018, 7:51 am

ratofallaggies wrote:Don't care, I think the mark of a "big time program" is to win a big time game. I for one don't think the band and cheerleaders helps usu to win. Also, I go to football games to watch the football team.
This is my thoughts reading though this thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

blueaggie
Posts: 949
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by blueaggie » November 20th, 2018, 10:39 am

We need to be like the red team which is also a state institution and have our band play at a few away games including Boise State which is already turning into a huge rivalry game! I really think it helps the team to have the support of the band and cheerleaders at the game. It might not be such a big deal if we had a bigger fan base that traveled to away games.
Last edited by blueaggie on November 20th, 2018, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16887
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 762 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by NVAggie » November 20th, 2018, 10:40 am

Eh, it is Thanksgiving weekend. A lot of these kids are going home to be with their families. I don't think it makes much difference.



blueaggie
Posts: 949
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by blueaggie » November 20th, 2018, 10:45 am

How many of you that say it doesn't make a big difference actually attend away games? Just curious. Every time we attend away games we always say it would sure be nice to have our band playing at the game.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16887
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 762 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by NVAggie » November 20th, 2018, 10:53 am

I attend away games. Having a big bloc of Aggie fans in the stadium means more.



blueaggie
Posts: 949
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by blueaggie » November 20th, 2018, 12:47 pm

The problem is that we hardly ever have a big block of Aggie fans at away games. We want to be a big time program but very few Aggie fans are willing to travel. We had a big game at Colorado State and only a handful bothered to attend. It seems like Boise always has their band when they play in Logan. Go Aggies



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1191
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by trombone_ninja » November 20th, 2018, 12:54 pm

blueaggie wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 10:39 am
We need to be like the red team which is also a state institution and have our band play at a few away games including Boise State which is already turning into a huge rivalry game! I really think it helps the team to have the support of the band and cheerleaders at the game. It might not be such a big deal if we had a bigger fan base that traveled to away games.
I’m pretty sure this has more to do with being a P5 team with a P5 budget than anything else.


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

trombone_ninja
Posts: 1191
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by trombone_ninja » November 20th, 2018, 1:04 pm

usufan1 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 10:49 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 9:30 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:I mean, I think we all knew it was going to be big, but did we really know how big it would be until recently? This kind of trip would’ve had to be planned quite a long time in advance.
Seeing how the Aggies were playing mid-season wouldn't have been enough time?

It's a day drive up there, and the game has a late start time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah.... not really. There’s all kinds of logistics to work out when you decide to send 150 students out like that on a whim, especially with how tight the music department’s budget is. It’s also a lot more difficult to expect students who aren’t athletes to travel over thanksgiving break.

I’m not happy about it, either, I’m just listing off some of the explanations you’d get if you asked any of the higher ups in the College of the Arts.
Totally understand what you are saying.

I guess I'd think someone would have noticed this game could be huge and made the effort to get them there. Bus up and come back after the game, but at least show up when it's this close.

Keep winning games and hopefully one day we can get there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I’m sure some people saw how big this game would be, but I’m guessing it was shot down relatively quickly if it was even brought up, especially considering that they didn’t know for sure at that point how big the stakes would be.

I hope we do get to the point where the band can travel more. I wish it could’ve happened while I was there


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

SectionFaggie
Posts: 113
Joined: December 18th, 2016, 7:27 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by SectionFaggie » November 20th, 2018, 10:18 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:54 pm
blueaggie wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 10:39 am
We need to be like the red team which is also a state institution and have our band play at a few away games including Boise State which is already turning into a huge rivalry game! I really think it helps the team to have the support of the band and cheerleaders at the game. It might not be such a big deal if we had a bigger fan base that traveled to away games.
I’m pretty sure this has more to do with being a P5 team with a P5 budget than anything else.
P5 G5. We should send Blue to every game to be with the Aggie fans and help make the Aggie experience at away games just a little more home like. Hopefully, revenue will allow this in the future. The band and cheer should get there, too, but budget is an issue. I hope that our aspirations and ability to be a Top 25 team will translate into bands that plan not to be at the family table or local sales on the fourth Saturday in November and that USU has the ability to support sound, well planned travel to increasingly support the team and the traditions that surround it.



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1191
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by trombone_ninja » November 21st, 2018, 11:44 am

SectionFaggie wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 10:18 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:54 pm
blueaggie wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 10:39 am
We need to be like the red team which is also a state institution and have our band play at a few away games including Boise State which is already turning into a huge rivalry game! I really think it helps the team to have the support of the band and cheerleaders at the game. It might not be such a big deal if we had a bigger fan base that traveled to away games.
I’m pretty sure this has more to do with being a P5 team with a P5 budget than anything else.
P5 G5. We should send Blue to every game to be with the Aggie fans and help make the Aggie experience at away games just a little more home like. Hopefully, revenue will allow this in the future. The band and cheer should get there, too, but budget is an issue. I hope that our aspirations and ability to be a Top 25 team will translate into bands that plan not to be at the family table or local sales on the fourth Saturday in November and that USU has the ability to support sound, well planned travel to increasingly support the team and the traditions that surround it.
Yeah, I’m just referring to the band when I talk about budget constraints. I can’t imagine why Big Blue and the cheer squad aren’t traveling.

The expectation is already set for the band and the cheerleaders that if the team qualifies, they’re going to a bowl game even if it means being gone for Christmas. Missing Thanksgiving doesn’t seem as big a deal to me, personally


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3375
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by ratofallaggies » November 21st, 2018, 12:51 pm

blueaggie wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 10:45 am
How many of you that say it doesn't make a big difference actually attend away games? Just curious. Every time we attend away games we always say it would sure be nice to have our band playing at the game.
Last year, I went to SJSU and UNLV. Thus year, I've been to Wyoming, Hawaii, and I'll be at Boise. Statistically, bands and cheerleaders have almost nothing to do with winning percentages by visiting teams.



blueaggie
Posts: 949
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by blueaggie » November 21st, 2018, 1:38 pm

That is a pretty small sample. It would be interesting to see if it does make a difference. I personally feel that having a band at the games does make a difference. Imagine our home games without the band. I've been to a BYU game at lavell Edwards stadium and the band made it so much more enjoyable and exciting it got the crowd pumped up. I've also been to Air Force Colorado State and San Diego State without the band and there was very little crowd participation or excitement from the Aggie fans. I feel that it makes a big difference. It gets the crowd more involved in the game. Go Aggies!



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 1955
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by AggiesForever » November 21st, 2018, 3:01 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 11:44 am
The expectation is already set for the band and the cheerleaders that if the team qualifies, they’re going to a bowl game even if it means being gone for Christmas. Missing Thanksgiving doesn’t seem as big a deal to me, personally
Las Vegas Bowl is December 15. Won't have to miss Christmas either!



Imakeitrain
Posts: 6308
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by Imakeitrain » November 21st, 2018, 5:07 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 6:17 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 5:38 am
ususports wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 1:21 am
I just lost my motivation to go to the game. If there aren't any cheerleaders to see, what is there to watch in Boise?
You never know man you can get their and the Boise cheerleaders will be like “I notived you like the Aggies, I also like to live dangerously”
They all have the same speech impediment.
Ath-hole don’t make of their lithp


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3375
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by ratofallaggies » November 21st, 2018, 5:38 pm

blueaggie wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 1:38 pm
That is a pretty small sample. It would be interesting to see if it does make a difference. I personally feel that having a band at the games does make a difference. Imagine our home games without the band. I've been to a BYU game at lavell Edwards stadium and the band made it so much more enjoyable and exciting it got the crowd pumped up. I've also been to Air Force Colorado State and San Diego State without the band and there was very little crowd participation or excitement from the Aggie fans. I feel that it makes a big difference. It gets the crowd more involved in the game. Go Aggies!
I've been to every venue in the Mountain West except fresno, been to a lot of the bigger ooc games as well like Tennessee. The band and cheerleaders make zero difference in the team's performance. You may like them and enjoy them from a fans experience, but there is zero correlation to visiting teams winning percentage and the band being present.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5522
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 22nd, 2018, 9:56 am

While I can understand the argument for it being cheaper to send 10 cheerleaders than the 150 band members, the band would help and be more noticeable than cheerleaders. Players are zoned in to the game too much to even KNOW if cheerleaders are there or not if you don't tell them one way or the other, let alone hear what they are saying, but the band playing our songs can be heard by the players.

As for missing holidays, I think the fact that cheerleaders and band members have the potential to miss Christmas(at least part of the break, if not Christmas day) for the bowl is probably all the MORE reason to let their families have them for Thanksgiving, not less reason. I would understand letting the few cheerleaders whose home is Boise or nearby, or that would rather go to Boise than their home in Centerville, but no reason to twist their arms forcing any of them to go if they don't want to.

Another thing I heard is that we had one band director who made the bowl trip optional for band members, then he left and a new director made it mandatory.

One more thing interesting related to bands and cheerleaders and away games. The reason Air Force is able to take their band and cheerleaders to every away game is they just are able to just stay at Air Force base dorms. Like they stay at Hill when they come here.



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1191
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by trombone_ninja » November 22nd, 2018, 11:07 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 9:56 am
While I can understand the argument for it being cheaper to send 10 cheerleaders than the 150 band members, the band would help and be more noticeable than cheerleaders. Players are zoned in to the game too much to even KNOW if cheerleaders are there or not if you don't tell them one way or the other, let alone hear what they are saying, but the band playing our songs can be heard by the players.

As for missing holidays, I think the fact that cheerleaders and band members have the potential to miss Christmas(at least part of the break, if not Christmas day) for the bowl is probably all the MORE reason to let their families have them for Thanksgiving, not less reason. I would understand letting the few cheerleaders whose home is Boise or nearby, or that would rather go to Boise than their home in Centerville, but no reason to twist their arms forcing any of them to go if they don't want to.

Another thing I heard is that we had one band director who made the bowl trip optional for band members, then he left and a new director made it mandatory.

One more thing interesting related to bands and cheerleaders and away games. The reason Air Force is able to take their band and cheerleaders to every away game is they just are able to just stay at Air Force base dorms. Like they stay at Hill when they come here.
There was a director who made bowl games optional, who was mostly around when we just didn’t go to bowl games, and then a director who made them mandatory for students who were from Utah and Idaho and optional for everyone else. That policy obviously caused a bit of a stir and I don’t think it lasted very long, and the director was let go after three years.

Now we’ve got a guy who is much better at the job and he makes bowl game attendance mandatory. He doesn’t make it ambiguous like the previous directors, he sets that expectation long before the season starts and everyone knows what they’re getting into beforehand. It’s a very nice change, though the one year that I was there after his hire was 2016, when there was no bowl...


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

Imakeitrain
Posts: 6308
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: Band and Cheerleaders

Post by Imakeitrain » November 22nd, 2018, 1:42 pm

Big schools sometimes have their bands miss a holiday, but it’s not the same.

I remember being an undergrad flying back after the break. On my flight into Atlanta I was sitting with an LSU band member.

They flew on a chartered jet, had meals ready to go on the flight when they got on.
They get full ride scholarships.

Unless we open up the pocket book, we shouldn’t expect more out of the band. Especially last second. The potential to miss Christmas is bad enough. I don’t think we need to expect them to miss more and make us look like a bigger school when they don’t get the same benefits of bigger schools.


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

Locked Previous topicNext topic