Weekend hangover thoughts

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
nismo1616
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Weekend hangover thoughts

Post by nismo1616 » November 26th, 2018, 3:55 pm

I woke up this last Saturday the opposite of excited awaiting the big game that night. For whatever reason, after the loss/win against CSU there was an uneasy feeling I had that whole week heading into Boise. The last time I let a game/season take this kind of emotional toll on me was when the Jazz were in the finals back in ’96 and ’97, and I was only 9. After that, I made it a point to not let a game get to me like that (it’s just a game right?). Even after the heartbreaking loss to Wisconsin a few years ago on a missed field goal that cost us a potential New Year’s six bowl I was able to take with a grain of salt. But this year was different, and a lot of it I think comes down to support of the team. I was very discouraged and disappointed with fan support, not sure if Utah now being competitive in a power 5 league or maybe interest in non-power five schools is just dwindling in fan support all together, but there was a lack of energy in the stands that I felt strongly during the year we finished #16 under Gary. But also the lack of respect from the CFP committee bothered me way more than it should. So I wanted so badly for this team to prove everybody that there was a different team in the Mountain division other than Boise State and that a Aggies could put up a fight against anyone of the power 5 schools (minus Alabama). I also had a new/different level of interest, as my son, whose only 7, attends a school that is densely populated with BYU fans and I my ex-wife’s (very large) family are all very big BYU fans as well. That being said, up until last year, my son was a BYU fan, and I made it a point to let him decide who he cheers for and against. After we beat BYU last year, and taking him to several Aggie games this year, my son was thrilled with how exciting the team has been to watch and is now a diehard Aggie and pretends to be Jordan Love while throwing the pig skin around in the back yard, making me cheer that much harder for the Aggies knowing my son is just as excited as I am.

So after the loss late Saturday night, I sat there trying to find something on TV to distract myself from my shattered dreams. Maybe a little exaggerated, but as the thought of dragging myself out of bed on Monday to go to work after a 5 day weekend and hear about how Utes are the best team in Utah and hearing condolences from other colleagues about the Aggies losing was something I didn’t want to think about, not to mention not having a game to go to on Saturday that my son was dying to go to. So I sank into a little bit of a depression and struggled ALL day yesterday with it. It was weird, I cooked a full on breakfast and took literally one bite before throwing the rest out. Food didn’t taste good, TV sucked, weather sucked, everything about yesterday just sucked…

Thankfully, before I dropped my son off to his mom Sunday night, my son told me how excited he was for the bowl game and downloaded a football game on my phone and changed the name of the team and the players’ names to Aggie players.

The point I am trying to make is that this team sparked a huge interest from my son who might have ended up a cougar fan otherwise (that bridge of BYU fandom burned due to several altercations he has already gotten into with friends at school after the BYU game :lol: ) That game alone with Galeai’s pick 6 and Rocquemore’s strip sack fumble recovery are plays that we have imitated in the back yard countless times and will remember for a lifetime. The offense and defense were so fun to watch with so many memorable plays that my son will almost assuredly be lifetime Aggie fan and I couldn’t be happier about that! Although we didn’t make it the championship game, this season was a huge success and one me and my son can cherish and talk about forever. :utah: :state: :golfclap:

Machismo
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Weekend hangover thoughts

Post by Machismo » November 26th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Sounds pretty darn good to me, this Team created some very good memories for all of us and we should be grateful for it. We still have another chance to whip some A in our Bowl game so we still have that to look foreword to. Plus we should have another good Team next year, maybe even better.

"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

ineptimusprime
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Weekend hangover thoughts

Post by ineptimusprime » November 26th, 2018, 4:29 pm

I was in a funk all day Saturday too before the game. That CSU game was just weird and difficult to digest.

I'm not sure if it's the cold, the gameplan/playcalling, or what, but the offense has just looked really weird and flat the last two weeks. Just hasn't looked like the same team, though maybe that's just the competition. Just struggling with how we put up more than 50 on 8-win Hawaii on the islands playing more than half the game without our starting QB and then totally s*** the bed against a CSU team with a terrible defense that that same Hawaii team blew out in Fort Collins. Is our team really so soft and finesse that the cold weather causes that many problems with the rhythm of our offense? I really can't come up with anything else to explain the cliff the offense has fallen off the last two weeks. For me, the shine really started coming off the season the last two weeks, which is weird considering we won ten games.

TL;DR, I'm still not sure how I feel about this season. If we end up playing in Boise or New Mexico for our bowl game against a C-USA or MAC opponent, it's going to be a weird, disappointing end to a season that had so much promise.

Locked Previous topicNext topic