Official - Wells to Texas tech

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FormerlyVegasAggie71

Official - Wells to Texas tech

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » November 29th, 2018, 4:56 pm

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-m ... exas-tech/

Mods feel free to merge this with one of the other Wells topics if appropriate.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Re: Official - Wells to Texas tech

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » November 29th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Article says terms have been agreed too, but doesn't disclose. Will be interesting to see what he gets.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » November 29th, 2018, 5:01 pm

That article is anything but official, more an aggregation of rumors, but nonetheless I believe the rumors are accurate.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 5:03 pm

I think Tania’s messages are pretty definitive. Full team meeting at 7pm....

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 5:04 pm

I wish Matt well and hope he is successful. I’m also hopeful that Hartwell is fully prepared and will make a good replacement hire...

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:05 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:03 pm
I think Tania’s messages are pretty definitive. Full team meeting at 7pm....
Yup. That was the only confirmation that I needed.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:07 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:That article is anything but official, more an aggregation of rumors, but nonetheless I believe the rumors are accurate.
Football scoop breaks stories before local beat reporters all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » November 29th, 2018, 5:13 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:That article is anything but official, more an aggregation of rumors, but nonetheless I believe the rumors are accurate.

Are there local beat reporters in Logan?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » November 29th, 2018, 5:16 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:07 pm

I'm aware, doesn't make it official. I'm also aware that Tania's word is 99.9% going to be accurate.

But "OFFICIAL", is "OFFICIAL". The post title is not accurate. "OFFICIAL" will be when a press release or press conference happens, or some other "OFFICIAL" word gets released. The article posted as "OFFICIAL" starts its title with "SOURCES", then says "Utah State head coach Matt Wells has agreed to become head coach at Texas Tech, sources told FootballScoop Thursday evening."

NOT OFFICIAL.

That being said, good luck to Coach Wells and welcome home Gary! (unofficially, of course)

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:19 pm

As much as I thought Wells did not do a great job maintaining continuity for the first few years following GA's departure, he certainly managed to pull it all together this year. What a disappointing conclusion to the season to see him slink off to Lubbock, TX of all places. Certainly puts a damper on an otherwise great season. I have suddenly lost hope for success in whatever bowl game we are invited to. I would have loved for Wells to stay in Logan for the rest of his career building a real legacy, but now schadenfreude requires me to hope he falls flat on his face and regrets this decision for the rest of his life. I'm afraid this is the fate of the Aggies: one year of success, and the coach bolts for the door. If we can't keep a true Aggie in Logan, who are we going to be able to keep when they become successful? No one. I'm afraid Stew was a one-in-a-million guy who knew how good he had it in Logan, and the Garys and Matts of the world will never realize how good they had it until they go off and fail elsewhere. I would like to wish Wells good luck, but I just can't.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » November 29th, 2018, 5:21 pm

It is 100% certain, presser tonight.

Source, the horses mouth.

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » November 29th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Remember his now widowed mother lives just a few hours from there also so he and his brother can see her at least weekly.
This was a big part of the decision as well as the 4 million a year, which didn’t hurt either.

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:40 pm

I wish Coach Wells the best of luck and hope that Texas Tech is very successful. This would show that Utah State can produce good coaches. I am dissapointed he did not stay, but I want him to succeed and wasn't expecting him to stay very long if we had a season like this one. Hopefully Hartwell makes a good hire and we can have even more successful seasons. Exciting time to be an Aggie and I am looking forward with optimism!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 5:49 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:I wish Coach Wells the best of luck and hope that Texas Tech is very successful. This would show that Utah State can produce good coaches. I am dissapointed he did not stay, but I want him to succeed and wasn't expecting him to stay very long if we had a season like this one. Hopefully Hartwell makes a good hire and we can have even more successful seasons. Exciting time to be an Aggie and I am looking forward with optimism!
Why would you want to prove Utah State can produce good coaches ?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 29th, 2018, 5:52 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:19 pm
As much as I thought Wells did not do a great job maintaining continuity for the first few years following GA's departure, he certainly managed to pull it all together this year. What a disappointing conclusion to the season to see him slink off to Lubbock, TX of all places. Certainly puts a damper on an otherwise great season. I have suddenly lost hope for success in whatever bowl game we are invited to. I would have loved for Wells to stay in Logan for the rest of his career building a real legacy, but now schadenfreude requires me to hope he falls flat on his face and regrets this decision for the rest of his life. I'm afraid this is the fate of the Aggies: one year of success, and the coach bolts for the door. If we can't keep a true Aggie in Logan, who are we going to be able to keep when they become successful? No one. I'm afraid Stew was a one-in-a-million guy who knew how good he had it in Logan, and the Garys and Matts of the world will never realize how good they had it until they go off and fail elsewhere. I would like to wish Wells good luck, but I just can't.
For all of the talk about Wells being alumni, I’m not sure how anybody got the feeling there was ever much loyalty harbored by Matt towards Utah State. He talked openly from year one about accepting all calls from would be suitors and by all accounts accepted his first two chances to get out of town even though both jobs have proven to be dead end P5 jobs for decades. The Corvallis job was snatched from him by Gary at the last second, and now he’s headed to the beautiful oasis of Lubbock to watch his D1 HC career close out. It’s like he couldn’t get away fast enough.
Last edited by hipsterdoofus21 on November 29th, 2018, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » November 29th, 2018, 5:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:49 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:I wish Coach Wells the best of luck and hope that Texas Tech is very successful. This would show that Utah State can produce good coaches. I am dissapointed he did not stay, but I want him to succeed and wasn't expecting him to stay very long if we had a season like this one. Hopefully Hartwell makes a good hire and we can have even more successful seasons. Exciting time to be an Aggie and I am looking forward with optimism!

Because it means we are winning consistently. The alternative is hiring coaches every few years because they are getting fired because they can't do the job.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Well, when you have a top 20 team and you can’t sell out the smallest stadium in college football, you take the money and run.....

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Stucki wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Because it means we are winning consistently. The alternative is hiring coaches every few years because they are getting fired because they can't do the job.
That seems like a different point than what Thunderaggie was making, but ok.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 29th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Good luck to Wells and his family. Good coach. I have no interest in watching him coach this team in a bowl game. He can go watch bowl season with his new team on the couch.

Regulator of Class

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 29th, 2018, 6:13 pm

coolag wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:58 pm
Good luck to Wells and his family. Good coach. I have no interest in watching him coach this team in a bowl game. He can go watch bowl season with his new team on the couch.
Jordan also told me that the players get to vote if Wells will coach the game - I think u will see him 1 more time

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 29th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Congratulations to Coach Wells! And massive thanks to his players and staff for being so committed to doing things right.

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » November 29th, 2018, 6:22 pm

taniataylor wrote:
coolag wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:58 pm
Jordan also told me that the players get to vote if Wells will coach the game - I think u will see him 1 more time
If he’s coaching the bowl game and that’s the reason, I’m all for it.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 29th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Good for him. He earned it. I learned last time not to get crazy about a coach. It is our job as fans to make the program.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 29th, 2018, 7:09 pm

2004AG wrote:
Stucki wrote:
2004AG wrote:

That seems like a different point than what Thunderaggie was making, but ok.

I think that was part of his point. I also think he was saying it’s beneficial to be known as a program that is capable of hiring and developing good coaches and providing a solid platform for young ambitious coaches to springboard to bigger jobs. Just like you want recruits to think they can get to the NFL through USU, we also want coaches with big dreams to think they can get to where they want through coaching at USU. it wasn’t long ago that we had to settle for underwhelming coaches because no one worthwhile wanted to coach here.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2018, 7:18 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:52 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:19 pm
For all of the talk about Wells being alumni, I’m not sure how anybody got the feeling there was ever much loyalty harbored by Matt towards Utah State. He talked openly from year one about accepting all calls from would be suitors and by all accounts accepted his first two chances to get out of town even though both jobs have proven to be dead end P5 jobs for decades. The Corvallis job was snatched from him by Gary at the last second, and now he’s headed to the beautiful oasis of Lubbock to watch his D1 HC career close out. It’s like he couldn’t get away fast enough.
There are rare exceptions like Stew Morrill, but coaches aren't really loyal. Hard to be loyal when another school will pay you a ton more money and you get to compete at the highest level. I'm surprised to see Wells go to TT though, I'd thought he would have stayed a few more years and gone to a better job.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2018, 7:23 pm

The odds of us having a coach stay here for 10+ years is a long shot. Pretty much coaches will move on to P5 programs if they succeed or get fired if they don't. It is a much better problem to have coaches leave after 10 win seasons which has now happened twice. I'll take that over us having to fire coaches after 3 win seasons which happened in 99, 2004 and 2008.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 29th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Is this official enough?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 29th, 2018, 7:33 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:Is this official enough?

Man, there fan base is not very pleased.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 29th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Obviously photoshopped.

Hail Aggies!

coolag

Post by coolag » November 29th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Regulator of Class

Harcher

Post by Harcher » November 29th, 2018, 7:41 pm

coolag wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 7:39 pm
very nice!

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » November 29th, 2018, 7:41 pm

He can take our coordinators, just leave our Strength and Conditioning staff!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 29th, 2018, 7:44 pm

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 29th, 2018, 7:48 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Lol, well played Timmy D. You still sucked though.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 29th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Regulator of Class

Locked Previous topicNext topic