So Who do we want --- A poll

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Who should be the new head coach if Wells leaves?

Hill
44%
Patterson
4%
GA
52%

Total votes: 159

flying_scotsman2.0

So Who do we want --- A poll

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 29th, 2018, 4:22 pm

JFW mentioned 3 people most likely from his inside sources. I don't know JFW, not sure how reliable his source is, but here it is anyway:

BLUERUFiO

Re: So Who do we want --- A poll

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 29th, 2018, 4:32 pm

My reply: uggh.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 29th, 2018, 4:36 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 4:32 pm
My reply: uggh.
Why?

Hill has taken Weber from bottom of FCS to the very top, #2 in the FCS playoffs.

GA has proven what he can do here.

I think they're both two very good options.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 29th, 2018, 4:48 pm

I don't understand the fascination with Jay Hill. Craig Bohl won 3 consecutive FCS championships. Now many Wyoming fans want to move on from him.

Does anyone know of any success stories of FCS head coaches moving to FBS head coaching positions? Surely there must be some. It's an honest question...I don't know the answer.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2018, 4:48 pm

GA or a proven assistant already at this level.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 29th, 2018, 4:51 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 4:48 pm
I don't understand the fascination with Jay Hill. Craig Bohl won 3 consecutive FCS championships. Now many Wyoming fans want to move on from him.

Does anyone know of any success stories of FCS head coaches moving to FBS head coaching positions? Surely there must be some. It's an honest question...I don't know the answer.
Here, I'll explain this.

Weber state was a cellar dwellar FCS program. They won 2 games for 2 years before he arrived and his first year. 4 years later he has them as the #2 overall seed in FCS. According to Sagain ratings, they're a better team than 4 MWC schools (Hawaii, CSU, New Mexico, SJSU). He built that at Weber State.

He knows the USU formula and system to win. He's implemented it at Weber. He has deep recruiting ties out West and has an excellent reputation as a recruiter. He's also a players coach and his players love him. I've heard him plenty in interviews and I always come away very impressed.

There are a ton of similarities between him and Gary when Gary took the job the 1st time around.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on November 29th, 2018, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 4:51 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:

Mick Dennehy, Dave Arslanian to name a couple...

Okay. That’s not fair. Circumstances are substantially different at USU now. I don’t think ANYONE could have won here then. But still...

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 29th, 2018, 4:54 pm

My argument for Gary is if he has learned from his mistakes, used this past year to get his house in order, stopped drinking, and wants to come back more than anything, then we have the potential for a football version of Stew. A top level coach and recruiter who won’t leave for the game, lights, and money and can truly help us build something over the next decade.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 4:59 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:

So just because Craig Bohl hasn't worked, does that mean an FCS coach should never be hired again? This keeps coming up and I don't get it. There is no absolute formula for hiring coach. There are hundreds of examples of coaches failing and succeeding with all different backgrounds. Its a crapshoot and there is no guaranteed hire.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:00 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 4:51 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:

Here, I'll explain this.

Weber state was a cellar dwellar FCS program. They won 2 games for 2 years before he arrived and his first year. 4 years later he has them as the #2 overall seed in FCS. According to Sagain ratings, they're a better team than 4 MWC schools (Hawaii, CSU, New Mexico, SJSU). He built that at Weber State.

He knows the USU formula and system to win. He's implemented it at Weber. He has deep recruiting ties out West and has an excellent reputation as a recruiter. He's also a players coach and his players love him. I've heard him plenty in interviews and I always come away very impressed.

There are a ton of similarities between him and Gary when Gary took the job the 1st time around.
This! He's a Utah guy too. What he has done at Weber is nothing short of amazing. I have heard players rave about him in interviews as well. He reminds me a lot of a younger GA.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 5:00 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 4:54 pm
My argument for Gary is if he has learned from his mistakes, used this past year to get his house in order, stopped drinking, and wants to come back more than anything, then we have the potential for a football version of Stew. A top level coach and recruiter who won’t leave for the game, lights, and money and can truly help us build something over the next decade.
I tend to agree. Gary probably would never leave again if successful and maybe he's had the year to figure life out.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 29th, 2018, 5:01 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 4:59 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:

So just because Craig Bohl hasn't worked, does that mean an FCS coach should never be hired again? This keeps coming up and I don't get it. There is no absolute formula for hiring coach. There are hundreds of examples of coaches failing and succeeding with all different backgrounds. Its a crapshoot and there is no guaranteed hire.
I never said that. Just brought it up as a concern of mine. I then asked if anyone knew of a coach successfully making the transition. Do you know of any?

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

Who has decided Bohl hasn't worked? I think he's done a solid job especially for having to do it in Laramie. They will bounce back next year and are still bowling this year.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 5:02 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:01 pm
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

I never said that. Just brought it up as a concern of mine. I then asked if anyone knew of a coach successfully making the transition. Do you know of any?
While we are at it....do you know of any coach that is sure fire besides Nick Saban? Don't they all carry a risk?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 29th, 2018, 5:05 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:00 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I tend to agree. Gary probably would never leave again if successful and maybe he's had the year to figure life out.
From what I’ve heard he has. :noidea:
Having said that I’m not opposed to Hill either. I’m impressed with what he’s done at Weber.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 29th, 2018, 5:06 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:02 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

While we are at it....do you know of any coach that is sure fire besides Nick Saban? Don't they all carry a risk?
That's a fair point. I just don't see value in turning a blind eye to trends(if there are any). If it is true that it is a very small percentage of FCS coaches being successful at the FBS level, that should be considered in the hiring process. I've said it in other threads too, if Jay Hill is hired I will fully support it. Hartwell did a fantastic job hiring coach Smith and I'm sure he'll do a thorough search for a football coach as well.

BRuss804

Post by BRuss804 » November 29th, 2018, 5:15 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

Brian Kelly, Jim Harbaugh and Dino Babers all come to mind as guys who successfully made the transition from FCS to FBS. The odds are stacked against a coach jumping up from FCS to FBS, but the same is true of a coach going from G5 to P5 or promoting a coordinator. In any of those scenarios, most will end up getting fired regardless of background. The thing I like about hiring an FCS coach is you are getting someone that has proven they can be successful as a head coach. That's a luxury you don't have when promoting a coordinator. Seems like the same logic Hartwell applied when hiring Smith. Find a guy who has proven at a lower level that he has what it takes to be successful as the head coach. I'd be really happy with either Hill or GA.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 5:18 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:06 pm
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

That's a fair point. I just don't see value in turning a blind eye to trends(if there are any). If it is true that it is a very small percentage of FCS coaches being successful at the FBS level, that should be considered in the hiring process. I've said it in other threads too, if Jay Hill is hired I will fully support it. Hartwell did a fantastic job hiring coach Smith and I'm sure he'll do a thorough search for a football coach as well.
Because they all carry a risk, at least Jay checks off most boxes. Head coach experience-Check.....Knows Utah recruiting scence-check......good recruiter-check.....less likely to leave Utah-check......Young and hungry-check......built a winner from the ground up-check..... I can't really even think of a negative with him.

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » November 29th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Isn't Jay Hill mormon? If we hire him and he's successful thr TDS will snag him up in a couple years when Sitake is fired. No thanks. GA has learned from his mistakes. He won't leave anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:21 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

You say very few FCS coaches are successful at the FBS level. Well, very few coaches would have been able to take over Weber as awful as they were in 2013 and have success.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:22 pm

2004AG wrote:
While we are at it....do you know of any coach that is sure fire besides Nick Saban?
Urban Meyer. What about him? He has Utah ties.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:23 pm

I wonder if Gary Andersen were administered a truth serum if he would say he regrets ever leaving USU.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 29th, 2018, 5:24 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:18 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

Because they all carry a risk, at least Jay checks off most boxes. Head coach experience-Check.....Knows Utah recruiting scence-check......good recruiter-check.....less likely to leave Utah-check......Young and hungry-check......built a winner from the ground up-check..... I can't really even think of a negative with him.
Only potential downside I can think of is he doesn’t have a big network of coordinators and other quality coaches he has worked with because he hasn’t been around as long. Besides that, I think he’s solid.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:24 pm
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:18 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

Only potential downside I can think of is he doesn’t have a big network of coordinators and other quality coaches he has worked with because he hasn’t been around as long. Besides that, I think he’s solid.
Along those same lines, I guess he doesn't have a lot of "national" experience. But I know when he was at Utah, he recruited Nevada and California heavily.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 29th, 2018, 5:34 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
GA as well. That is the exact analogy i have been using all day. He could be the stew of football. If he is interested give it to him now!!

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Is this based on inside sources or just message board speculation? I'm very disappointed if Lance Anderson isn't even being considered. Maybe Hartwell called him and he had no interest. But I sure as hope he calls him because he's my #1 candidate by a mile. If we can't get Lance Anderson, Hill would be high on my list, but I think we should at least put in a call to Mike McIntyre and some other coaches with good resumes looking for jobs. I don't want GA unless we're desperate. I still find it baffling how many people on this board worship a guy who has literally had one good season in 10 years of coaching. I still think that Anderson may have been just one more failed coach at USU if Chuckie Keeton hadn't literally fallen into his lap.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:34 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
GA as well. That is the exact analogy i have been using all day. He could be the stew of football. If he is interested give it to him now!!
GA is no Stew Morrill. Stew was a winner everywhere he coached. GA was a failure at SUU. He turned a below-average but still respectable OSU team into an absolute dumpster fire. He was mediocre at best at Wisconsin. At USU he had two poor season, one mediocre season, and one amazing season. Why do people remember 2012 and ignore the rest of his coaching career? His career record as an HC is under .500 despite his years at Wisconsin. I would welcome GA as defensive coordinator or something like that. But it's a sad day if he's the best candidate we have for head coach.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 29th, 2018, 5:43 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:36 pm
Is this based on inside sources or just message board speculation? I'm very disappointed if Lance Anderson isn't even being considered. Maybe Hartwell called him and he had no interest. But I sure as hope he calls him because he's my #1 candidate by a mile. If we can't get Lance Anderson, Hill would be high on my list, but I think we should at least put in a call to Mike McIntyre and some other coaches with good resumes looking for jobs. I don't want GA unless we're desperate. I still find it baffling how many people on this board worship a guy who has literally had one good season in 10 years of coaching. I still think that Anderson may have been just one more failed coach at USU if Chuckie Keeton hadn't literally fallen into his lap.
Lance Anderson would be ideal but no way he takes a pay cut to leave Palo Alto for Logan.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 5:48 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
GA is no Stew Morrill. Stew was a winner everywhere he coached. GA was a failure at SUU. He turned a below-average but still respectable OSU team into an absolute dumpster fire. He was mediocre at best at Wisconsin. At USU he had two poor season, one mediocre season, and one amazing season. Why do people remember 2012 and ignore the rest of his coaching career? His career record as an HC is under .500 despite his years at Wisconsin. I would welcome GA as defensive coordinator or something like that. But it's a sad day if he's the best candidate we have for head coach.
You do realize the dumpster fire he took over after Brent Guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stucki

Post by Stucki » November 29th, 2018, 5:49 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:

John L Smith
Jim Tressel

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Stucki

Post by Stucki » November 29th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Stucki wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:49 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:

John L Smith
Jim Tressel
Dennis Erickson

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Stucki

Post by Stucki » November 29th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Jim Harbaugh

Hail the Utah Aggies!

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » November 29th, 2018, 5:51 pm

How do I go back and change my vote to GA?

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 29th, 2018, 5:58 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:48 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
You do realize the dumpster fire he took over after Brent Guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look at the 2 seasons the aggies had after he left with GAs recruits. Also look at the talent from GA era. We KNOW the guy can recruit to logan.

Not to say GA was perfect but he would be a step up from wells no doubt. And if there is even a chance he wouldnt use us as a stepping stone.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 29th, 2018, 6:16 pm

I honestly can't believe the support that GA is getting on this poll. It nearly killed him the first time around, I can't imagine what it would be like a second time around.

I love him for what he did for USU FB but that ship has long sailed...

Locked Previous topicNext topic