Gary Andersen is coming back.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Re: Gary Andersen is coming back.

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 7:52 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 7:42 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 5:52 pm
I don't love him, I like him.

I think he's our best shot at keeping our roster and cruits in tact. And he's certainly not a drop off from Wells at the very least.

The OSU record does concern me, but being a mild ducks fan, idk how anybody can win there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The coach before Gary had success there and was routinely bowling and winning big games. Gary didn't just fail at Oregon State, he was one of the worst coaches in the Pac 12 over the last 20 years. Gary did great turning around the program, but hiring him in 2018 is concerning.
Ive said it once, I’ve said it again. And just for AK I’ll say it again.

9 defensive starters left, as did their record breaking QB.

OSU didn’t have recruits in the pipeline.

That’s not running a program into the ground. That’s a team that needed a lot.

Also if you haven’t noticed we aren’t Oregon State and we don’t play in the PAC.
If you look at OSU's record under Riley it was very similar to Wells' record here. Two or three .500 or just below .500 seasons with a 9 win season sprinkled in the middle, then back to below average. He lasted at OSU because administration was happy with an average to below average football team considering they were in the PAC 12.

I'd love to have GA return. Plus, if GA comes back then CK probably stays as well and can be groomed as a future OC and HC.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 29th, 2018, 8:04 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:01 pm

If you look at OSU's record under Riley it was very similar to Wells' record here. Two or three .500 or just below .500 seasons with a 9 win season sprinkled in the middle, then back to below average. He lasted at OSU because administration was happy with an average to below average football team considering they were in the PAC 12.

I'd love to have GA return. Plus, if GA comes back then CK probably stays as well and can be groomed as a future OC and HC.
Let it be noted that on the 29th day of the 11th month of the 2018th year of our Lord, FloridaAggie13 and I are on the same page.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 29th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

I think he's our best shot at keeping our roster and cruits in tact. And he's certainly not a drop off from Wells at the very least.

The OSU record does concern me, but being a mild ducks fan, idk how anybody can win there.

The coach before Gary had success there and was routinely bowling and winning big games. Gary didn't just fail at Oregon State, he was one of the worst coaches in the Pac 12 over the last 20 years. Gary did great turning around the program, but hiring him in 2018 is concerning.

Also if you haven’t noticed we aren’t Oregon State and we don’t play in the PAC.
This is the last time I’m reply unless I decide to reply again.

Gary was hamstrung/micromanaged at Wisky, I’ve never said otherwise.

I also gave a list of things that are not illegal or NCAA violations that should be fireable offenses.

Gary and I have had our moments, and it looks like he is making amends with how he has wronged me on a personal level. Seems like an odd time to come to Logan though as he was racing to catch a flight to San Jose.

Oh, and keep my name outta your mouth.

Hail Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Last year Oregon State might have been the worst team in the country. Their only loss was a come from behind win over Portland State. A good coach in any situation by year 3 has his team playing much better than GA did last year. Not to mention Oregon State went 2-10 this year. It wasn't like he built a solid foundation for the future.
I hope if GA comes back he has all the success in the world, but he was terrible at Oregon State. There is no defending his record or performance at Oregon State. Hiring a guy who did that poorly at his last stop is concerning.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Mike Riley is not a great coach by any stretch, but he did show you could have some success at Oregon State. Gary showed you could turn it into one of the worst programs in the country. The fact that Riley wasn't great and yet was Vince Lombardi compared to Gary is telling. I'll support him and hope for the best if he is hired, but I'd take Jay Hill right now or neal brown if that were an option.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 29th, 2018, 8:21 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:04 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Let it be noted that on the 29th day of the 11th month of the 2018th year of our Lord, FloridaAggie13 and I are on the same page.
Gary’s first miracle since word of his return.

ultramagnus

Post by ultramagnus » November 29th, 2018, 8:22 pm

All I want to know is if a Gary comeback thread will exceed the Gary leaving thread....

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 29th, 2018, 8:25 pm

ultramagnus wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:22 pm
All I want to know is if a Gary comeback thread will exceed the Gary leaving thread....

What will be sad is how fast it exceeds Wells’ leaving thread. He never could get out from his shadow.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 29th, 2018, 8:32 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:25 pm
ultramagnus wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:22 pm

What will be sad is how fast it exceeds Wells’ leaving thread. He never could get out from his shadow.
LMAO

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 & '17 Weekly

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 29th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Update: Gary signed the contract last night then took the CU job today.

Get it? CU!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 29th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Now that I have had a moment to think, I am embarrassed that I let myself believe rAggie, if only for a brief time. Shame on me. This guy gets a kick out of "messing with us."

In case you have forgotten:

Last edited by AgMac on November 29th, 2018, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 29th, 2018, 8:41 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:41 pm
Now that I have had a moment to think, I am embarrassed that I let myself believe rAggie, if only for a brief time. Shame on me. This guy gets a kick out of making crap up and seeing the board react.
"just to rile you up" those are his words in his own video.

i think this is his way of having fun.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2018, 8:42 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:04 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Someone please please check the temperature in Hades and if anyone owns a pig farm...well, your pigs just might be flying away right now.

Cheers AgMac :cheers:

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 29th, 2018, 8:44 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:41 pm
Now that I have had a moment to think, I am embarrassed that I let myself believe rAggie, if only for a brief time. Shame on me. This guy gets a kick out of making crap up and seeing the board react.
He was wrong about us NOT firing Duryea if he went 0-30 cause of money.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 29th, 2018, 8:51 pm

I will say this about GA. There is a contingent of boosters that want him. Not sure if there's any interest on his end at all though. I wouldn't say "Gary is coming back" at this point at all.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 29th, 2018, 8:53 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:51 pm
I will say this about GA. There is a contingent of boosters that want him. Not sure if there's any interest on his end at all though. I wouldn't say "Gary is coming back" at this point at all.
now this is believable.

choo choo indeed. :roll:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 29th, 2018, 9:00 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:53 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:51 pm
now this is believable.

choo choo indeed. :roll:
There would not be a contingency of big time boosters wanting GA back if GA himself had not expressed interest FIRST.

I will vouch for rAggie on this one! Not saying anything is a done deal, not saying Heartwell would buy off (what choice does he have though??) but I’m saying wheels are turning

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 29th, 2018, 9:05 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 8:05 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

This is the last time I’m reply unless I decide to reply again.

Gary was hamstrung/micromanaged at Wisky, I’ve never said otherwise.

I also gave a list of things that are not illegal or NCAA violations that should be fireable offenses.

Gary and I have had our moments, and it looks like he is making amends with how he has wronged me on a personal level. Seems like an odd time to come to Logan though as he was racing to catch a flight to San Jose.

Oh, and keep my name outta your mouth.
Never has the phrase “TheAKAggie” come out of mouth.

"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 29th, 2018, 9:08 pm

rAggie
Re: CHOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Post Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 pm

bpd, my inside information is slim to none. Sure, I used to get nuggets when working for KVNU or the Herald Journal, but most of what I did as MTA was intuition and gut feel mixed with bits and pieces I heard.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 29th, 2018, 9:12 pm

November 29th, 2018, 8:10 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Last year Oregon State might have been the worst team in the country. Their only loss was a come from behind win over Portland State. A good coach in any situation by year 3 has his team playing much better than GA did last year. Not to mention Oregon State went 2-10 this year. It wasn't like he built a solid foundation for the future.
I hope if GA comes back he has all the success in the world, but he was terrible at Oregon State. There is no defending his record or performance at Oregon State. Hiring a guy who did that poorly at his last stop is concerning.
The point is Gary can’t run something into the ground that isn’t already run into the ground. Context is important.

Your argument would be stronger if you conceded that point.

You could have said “Oregon State was a dumpster fire when Gary took over, yes they lost 9 defensive starters and their QB, and true, OSU didn’t have great recruits- but Gary brought in some bad assistants and didn’t improve that team.”

I could at least respect that argument. But to act as if the team at OSU was decent and Gary ruined it is not accurate.

"Gary Come Home”

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 29th, 2018, 9:17 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 9:00 pm
There would not be a contingency of big time boosters wanting GA back if GA himself had not expressed interest FIRST.

I will vouch for rAggie on this one! Not saying anything is a done deal, not saying Heartwell would buy off (what choice does he have though??) but I’m saying wheels are turning
he expressed an interest in coming back to be a presence on the sidelines -- or such were the rumors -- and that he was rebuffed by wells.

are the boosters interpreting that interest in a hopeful way, that if he's interested in participating at a low level then perhaps he may be interested in participating at the highest level?

or did GA express an interest in coaching at USU in some capacity?

NibleyAg
Been thanked: 0

Post by NibleyAg » November 29th, 2018, 9:19 pm

I would love to have GA back at the helm. I really liked his demeanor much more than Wells. He is a good motivater, recruiter, interviewee. Just flat out has more charisma than most coaches. Don't forget that he flipped the culture at USU. I don't really care that he wasn't successful at Wisky or Oregon State. It is obvious he was not happy in those places. This is our chance to have a great coach who might be willing to stick around for a while.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Gary Andersen is coming back.

Post by TheAKAggie » November 29th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Your inability to properly edit the quote boxes makes it look like you’re arguing yourself, I think that would make you happy.

Last edited by TheAKAggie on November 29th, 2018, 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hail Aggies!

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 29th, 2018, 9:22 pm

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 29th, 2018, 9:28 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 9:22 pm
That's a weird tweet.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

The point is Gary can’t run something into the ground that isn’t already run into the ground. Context is important.

You could have said “Oregon State was a dumpster fire when Gary took over, yes they lost 9 defensive starters and their QB, and true, OSU didn’t have great recruits- but Gary brought in some bad assistants and didn’t improve that team.”

I could at least respect that argument. But to act as if the team at OSU was decent and Gary ruined it is not accurate.
Strong argument? There is no argument. In year 3 anywhere in the country you should be showing improvement, yet the program was in a far worse shape than when he took over. There is no argument that can defend the poor job he did there.
Who has done a worse job in the Pac 12 in the 21st century? Paul Wulff? Ok about the same level. Jon Embree? He only got 2 years and actually won a road game, so I'd disagree. Gary's last Head Coaching job he was a complete failure. I can respect an argument if you say "Gary had success at USU and I think he can duplicate it again," but trying defend his performance at Oregon State is pointless and an argument you can't make. Gary even admitted his failure by quitting in the middle of a winless season with the program in terrible shape. As we hire a Head Coach, it absolutely should be a factor how that individual did the last time he was a Head Coach.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on November 29th, 2018, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 29th, 2018, 9:33 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 9:28 pm
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 9:22 pm
That's a weird tweet.
Happens more often than you'd think

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » November 29th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Look at Duryea. That is a big reason why we hired him.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Somebody in Logan should drive by the Andersen home tonight and see if the lights are on.....

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 29th, 2018, 9:47 pm

One thing about bringing Gary back is that you have immediate credibility with much of Aggie fandom and players. Even those of us who are concerned about a Gary return would go to the games and support because we have seen him do it before. My guess is if he did come back he wouldn't take off for the likes of Wisconsin. Next year would have better defense and still have a great offense could be better than this year.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 & '17 Weekly

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 29th, 2018, 9:48 pm

bluegrouse wrote:Somebody in Logan should drive by the Andersen home tonight and see if the lights are on.....
Oh no please don't

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 29th, 2018, 9:50 pm

Is Gary mentally well again? I recall some pretty strange text messages from him being published in the Oregonian during his last days at OSU...

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 29th, 2018, 9:52 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 9:50 pm
Is Gary mentally well again? I recall some pretty strange text messages from him being published in the Oregonian during his last days at OSU...
From what I have heard... Yes

Where only sage brush grows

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 29th, 2018, 9:53 pm

November 29th, 2018, 9:28 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Strong argument? There is no argument. In year 3 anywhere in the country you should be showing improvement, yet the program was in a far worse shape than when he took over. There is no argument that can defend the poor job he did there.
Who has done a worse job in the Pac 12 in the 21st century? Paul Wulff? Ok about the same level. Jon Embree? He only got 2 years and actually won a road game, so I'd disagree. Gary's last Head Coaching job he was a complete failure. It isn't really an argument. It absolutely should be a major factor when hiring a Head Coach if that coach was a massive failure in his last head coaching job.
But you are ignoring context. I’m not defending the job he did at Oregon State, and neither does Gary. But context matters. Your argument seems to be that it does not.

I don’t think he was cut out to rebuild in a P5 conference. I do think he is a great football coach that can do well at USU and is better than Wells and all of the mentioned nominees.

Rebuilding an entire program in a P5 conference is difficult and is not the same task that Gary would be doing here. Not very many coaches would have done well enough to keep their job given what Gary was given at OSU, and I said that the day he left Wisconsin. Alvarez is just a real piece of work.

But I do think Gary will do well in Logan. I think most fans want Gary. I think attendance will be boosted with Gary- and I think Gary will stay long term. I don’t know if Hill will do well, and I don’t think he will stay long term.

"Gary Come Home”

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » November 29th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Can Gary bring in good assistant coaches? He threw his last group under the bus and probably ruined most of his ability to do so, in my opinion.

Locked Previous topicNext topic