Don't allow Wells on the sideline for Bowl Game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Don't allow Wells on the sideline for Bowl Game

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 30th, 2018, 12:46 pm

I changed my mind. I'm whatever about it now.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on December 2nd, 2018, 7:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Machismo

Re: Don't allow Wells on the sideline for Bowl Game

Post by Machismo » November 30th, 2018, 12:47 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 12:46 pm
We owe Wells nothing. USU paid Wells nearly $1m/year and gave him the platform to land a job making $4 million/year. Now he turned his back on those kids and USU and is leaving for greener pastures. Good for him, I don't blame him. But don't keep him around and allow him on the sideline during the bowl game.

This isn't his team anymore. He already showed us he does't want to be at USU. He has current staff members meeting with players they like and offering them a spot at Texas Tech. He spent USU's money and resources to go out and visit recruits when he knew he has taking the Texas Tech job. You can bet he was teeing it off to get them to switch to Texas Tech. There will be USU recruits who flip.

I get that we'll probably do it because Wells now will likely donate money to USU and money rules everything, but I sure wish we'd tell him what he told us, to take a hike. It feels like a mockery at this point. I believe it's a self moving move by him to do it.
:golfclap:

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 30th, 2018, 12:50 pm

i also don't want to see him on the sidelines. he's done, he's gone, let him go.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 30th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I believe he does in fact give a d@mn about the team and that his reasons for wanting to be there in an unofficial capacity are sincere.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 30th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I am torn on this. The big question is do the players want him there? I think the call should ultimately be in their hands.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 30th, 2018, 12:54 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 12:52 pm
I believe he does in fact give a d@mn about the team and that his reasons for wanting to be there in an unofficial capacity are sincere.
Even if he is sincere, when you turn your back on your team at such a key point for the future (in the heart of recruiting season) and try to flip current recruits, you should lose that privilege.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 30th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Did I miss something? Was something announced about Wells being there? I agree, he decided to go now and mailed it in for the most important game in program history. See ya.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 30th, 2018, 1:00 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
We owe Wells nothing. USU paid Wells nearly $1m/year and gave him the platform to land a job making $4 million/year. Now he turned his back on those kids and USU and is leaving for greener pastures. Good for him, I don't blame him. But don't keep him around and allow him on the sideline during the bowl game. It feels like a mockery at this point. I believe it's a self serving move by him to do it.

This isn't his team anymore. He already showed us he doesn't want to be at USU. He has current staff members meeting with players they like and offering them a spot at Texas Tech. He spent USU's money and resources to go out and visit recruits when he knew he has taking the Texas Tech job. You can bet he was teeing it up to get them to switch to Texas Tech. There will be USU recruits who flip.

I get that we'll probably do it because Wells now will likely donate money to USU and money rules everything, but I sure wish we'd tell him what he told us-- to take a hike.
I've heard 6 years about $16 million or roughly 2.66 million a year.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » November 30th, 2018, 1:01 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 12:53 pm
I am torn on this. The big question is do the players want him there? I think the call should ultimately be in their hands.
Agreed. And I guess I was working on the assumption that this was something discussed at the player's meeting last night.
swishh_15 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 12:54 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
Even if he is sincere, when you turn your back on your team at such a key point for the future (in the heart of recruiting season) and try to flip current recruits, you should lose that privilege.
Coaches are going to make the move when the opportunity comes. And I'm not completely sold on that narrative of him doing a TTech recruiting trip on USU's dime. Things were not final. He already had the recruiting trip scheduled, so what was he to do? And in the end, players changing their commitments due to a coaching change happens all the time. It's going to happen some here, one way or another. I think the timing of a lot of stuff was just tough.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » November 30th, 2018, 1:04 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a little differentthat Lucifer and Arslanian. I’m OK with him being on the sidelines. I think he does care but he also has a family and a wife to care about too.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 30th, 2018, 1:05 pm

This is what I'm referencing. This is from the Hartwell press conference.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 30th, 2018, 1:05 pm

I don’t mind him being on the sideline as an observer but I don’t think he should be involved with game prep or other team interactions. It’s not his team anymore and that was his decision. I do think he genuinely cares about the team and the school tho...

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » November 30th, 2018, 1:08 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:05 pm
I don’t mind him being on the sideline as an observer but I don’t think he should be involved with game prep or other team interactions. It’s not his team anymore and that was his decision. I do think he genuinely cares about the team and the school tho...
My impression is that this is exactly the plan.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » November 30th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I have no problem with him being on the sideline. He gave his all to this program for 4 years as a player and 8 years as a coach and he is leaving the program in a really good spot. He's a good person who is making a potentially life changing career move, but I expect that he will continue to be an advocate for Utah State.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

mwburn
Has thanked: 0

Post by mwburn » November 30th, 2018, 1:11 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:I believe he does in fact give a d@mn about the team and that his reasons for wanting to be there in an unofficial capacity are sincere.
When the rumors started someone told me where there’s smoke there’s fire (he was right).

But now with some additional info, I don’t believe this. It’s most likely to quell perceptions (can’t trust who you cheated on your SO with, if they did it with you, they’ll do it to you).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter: mwburn

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 30th, 2018, 1:13 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:08 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:05 pm
My impression is that this is exactly the plan.
The plan is for him to be very involved in the game prep and game plan...he just won't be coaching on the sideline.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 30th, 2018, 1:14 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
He has current staff members meeting with players they like and offering them a spot at Texas Tech. He spent USU's money and resources to go out and visit recruits when he knew he has taking the Texas Tech job. You can bet he was teeing it up to get them to switch to Texas Tech. There will be USU recruits who flip.
100% Agree with Swish here. Keep him away from USU kids. I don't want him making recruiting pitches for TTech.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 30th, 2018, 1:19 pm

F Wells. Shame on a Hartwell for allowing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 30th, 2018, 1:21 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:11 pm
I have no problem with him being on the sideline. He gave his all to this program for 4 years as a player and 8 years as a coach and he is leaving the program in a really good spot. He's a good person who is making a potentially life changing career move, but I expect that he will continue to be an advocate for Utah State.
Maybe he'll send a $100k or so per year back to his alma mater's athletic program. One can hope, right?

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » November 30th, 2018, 1:23 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
We owe Wells nothing. USU paid Wells nearly $1mm/year and gave him the platform to land a job making $3mm/year. Now he turned his back on those kids and USU and is leaving for greener pastures. Good for him. I don't blame him, but don't keep him around and allow him on the sideline during the bowl game. It feels like a mockery at this point. I believe it's a self serving move by him to do it.

This isn't his team anymore. He already showed us he doesn't want to be at USU. He has current staff members meeting with players they like and offering them a spot at Texas Tech. He spent USU's money and resources to go out and visit recruits when he knew he has taking the Texas Tech job. You can bet he was teeing it up to get them to switch to Texas Tech. There will be USU recruits who flip.

I get that we'll probably do it because Wells now will likely donate money to USU and money rules everything, but I sure wish we'd tell him what he told us-- to take a hike.

Good hell, the sanctimony in this rant.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 30th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Good hell, the sanctimony in this rant.
Yep, I'm just being hypocritical here. I'm about to quit my current job to go to a competitor and bring a bunch of our internal documents and proprietary material with me. Then I'm going to make sure and expect I still get an invite to our annual Christmas party.

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » November 30th, 2018, 1:41 pm

If he really wants to be there let him buy a damn ticket like the rest of us!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 30th, 2018, 1:59 pm

If Maile objects, would Hartwell make him let MW hang out and be a disruptive, cancerous, sheep-stealing influence?

Remember, Tania reported her son was recruited by baby Wells in a one-on-one interview last night. How many more of USU's players have been recruited by MW's agents?

Sheep-stealers off the sidelines!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 30th, 2018, 2:10 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
He gave his all until the last 2 games of the most influential season in Aggie football history. If he keeps the blinders on, stays focused, and practices what he preaches to the players we win the MW division and host the MW championship with a good shot at a NY6 bowl.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » November 30th, 2018, 2:31 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 2:10 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
He gave his all until the last 2 games of the most influential season in Aggie football history. If he keeps the blinders on, stays focused, and practices what he preaches to the players we win the MW division and host the MW championship with a good shot at a NY6 bowl.
By that analogy, USU should take the high road and not contact any potential replacement until after that school’s coach has completed their season - even if it goes through the playoffs? Obviously, as soon as we contact a coach, they are not going to be 100% focused on their current position. Correct? :headscratch:

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » November 30th, 2018, 3:01 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 2:31 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
By that analogy, USU should take the high road and not contact any potential replacement until after that school’s coach has completed their season - even if it goes through the playoffs? Obviously, as soon as we contact a coach, they are not going to be 100% focused on their current position. Correct? :headscratch:

coolag

Post by coolag » November 30th, 2018, 3:08 pm

What will be will be. I still think he can coach his new team in their bowl game.....oh wait....

Regulator of Class

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 30th, 2018, 3:27 pm

I don't think he should be on the sideline for the game. He did what was best for him and his family and it is time to move one. IMO the notion that Wells quit on us the last two games is complete rubbish. Did he do the same against Wyoming? It is a convenient way to make sense of the last two games but is simply retrospectively making sense of something that did not go well. It happens all the time in every sport.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 30th, 2018, 3:30 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
Unless they are in a advisory position for a football team, I agree. It should be a rule in college football and they should move back the signing period to allow it.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » November 30th, 2018, 3:57 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 3:30 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
Unless they are in a advisory position for a football team, I agree. It should be a rule in college football and they should move back the signing period to allow it.
I generally agree with pushing the signing period later, but that could cause a lot bigger complications for the athletes. Most college applications are due by the middle of February for any kind of consideration for admissions, so if an athlete is waiting until March/April to decide where to go, they could miss out on actually getting in. If they are hoping for a football scholarship but then never get offered one, they'll potentially miss out on academic scholarships. If they do sign in March/April, but then turns out they don't academically qualify, then they have a much shorter time period in which to re-take classes or SAT etc..

Yes, these are things that all kids applying to college have to deal with, but waiting on a football scholarship adds another wrench into it. I know basketball's signing period is later though, so they must have it sorta worked out. Any idea why the signing periods are different?

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » November 30th, 2018, 3:58 pm

gomretat wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 3:27 pm
I don't think he should be on the sideline for the game. He did what was best for him and his family and it is time to move one. IMO the notion that Wells quit on us the last two games is complete rubbish. Did he do the same against Wyoming? It is a convenient way to make sense of the last two games but is simply retrospectively making sense of something that did not go well. It happens all the time in every sport.
You've articulated what I've been thinking pretty well here. Thank you.

Aggie80
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aggie80 » November 30th, 2018, 4:31 pm

There will be exactly 4 teams playing for anything more important than pride in the current bowl system. Everyone else will be playing in a game that is as much about celebrating a great season as a team on a fun vacation as it is about football. I have zero problem with a coach wanting to be a part of that with his players on the sideline after he has taken another job. We may also see the future coach there if he has already been announced. If the system were different maybe I'd care.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 30th, 2018, 9:44 pm

I have zero issues with Wells being on the sidelines for the bowl game. He has been a great ambassador for USU. I hold no ill feelings for him leaving to take a 15 million dollar or so guaranteed job. He loves the Aggies and always will. At the end of the day he is still an Aggie. If someone offered me 3 times the pay to leave my current job I would be gone as well. He is a driven individual and wants to challenge himself at the highest level. He was completely honest this whole season that if a call came he would listen. We have a good group of players coming back. Much better to be in this situation of hiring a coach to a good program than having to fire a coach and bring in someone to a losing program.

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » November 30th, 2018, 10:32 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 12:53 pm
This is how I feel. As a player I think it would be weird and would rather just move on.

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » November 30th, 2018, 11:03 pm

deltaaggie wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:41 pm
If he really wants to be there let him buy a damn ticket like the rest of us!
AMEN!

Locked Previous topicNext topic