Here comes Gary

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bullshot

Re: Here comes Gary

Post by bullshot » December 5th, 2018, 7:17 am

Which schools use a “firm”? Just wondering. Pretty sure Wisconsin, Oregon St., BYU, U of U, USC, Alabama did not

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » December 5th, 2018, 7:19 am

I was talking with a co-worker's husband who coaches club volleyball and has placed many players at D1 schools. He has also been an assistant coach at the college level. The parent of one club player came to him once wondering why her daughter was not being recruited by college programs. Talent wise she was one of the best on the team. The coach's response was that college coaches are recruiting the players they think will best help them keep their job. Although the daughter was a college-level talent she was too short to play and therefore would not be recruited. The parent was unhappy with this response but there was nothing the parent could do about it.

Hartwell is doing the same thing and there is not much we can do about it. He is recruiting a football coach that he thinks, in part, will best help him keep his job. He did the same when hiring Coach Smith. Two of the easiest and fastest ways an AD will lose his job is hiring the wrong football or basketball coach. While this hire is one of the most important Hartwell will make as the AD, he still has other responsibilities and delegating the initial steps in the hiring process to a search firm is entirely reasonable. I have no connection to the athletic department, but I would fully expect Hartwell remains involved in the search and will become more involved as the list of candidates is winnowed down. Based on what he did in landing Coach Smith and his hires at Troy, I will trust his judgment and process until evidence shows otherwise. While the timing of having to hire a coach is less than ideal with the early signing period rapidly approaching, landing the right coach is more important than a single recruiting class. This is especially true with the amount of experience and talent returning next year. If the team sucked this year but had a great recruiting class lined up for next year I would be more worried about landing a coach quickly.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 5th, 2018, 7:28 am

ChicAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:49 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:10 pm
Joseph Heller in Catch-22 wrote:It doesn't make a damned bit of difference who wins the war to someone who's dead.”
Speaking of which, whatever happened to Yossarian? Haven't seen him around here for months.
I think he checked himself into the infirmary with a pain in his liver that falls just short of being jaundice. The doctors are puzzled by the fact that it isn't quite jaundice. If it becomes jaundice they can treat it. If it goes away they can discharge him. As things stand he can just sit there indefinitely...

But seriously, I have no idea.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 5th, 2018, 8:30 am

Who even cares who we hire as our coach?! JFW!

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 5th, 2018, 8:35 am

bwcrc wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:19 am
I was talking with a co-worker's husband who coaches club volleyball and has placed many players at D1 schools. He has also been an assistant coach at the college level. The parent of one club player came to him once wondering why her daughter was not being recruited by college programs. Talent wise she was one of the best on the team. The coach's response was that college coaches are recruiting the players they think will best help them keep their job. Although the daughter was a college-level talent she was too short to play and therefore would not be recruited. The parent was unhappy with this response but there was nothing the parent could do about it.

Hartwell is doing the same thing and there is not much we can do about it. He is recruiting a football coach that he thinks, in part, will best help him keep his job. He did the same when hiring Coach Smith. Two of the easiest and fastest ways an AD will lose his job is hiring the wrong football or basketball coach. While this hire is one of the most important Hartwell will make as the AD, he still has other responsibilities and delegating the initial steps in the hiring process to a search firm is entirely reasonable. I have no connection to the athletic department, but I would fully expect Hartwell remains involved in the search and will become more involved as the list of candidates is winnowed down. Based on what he did in landing Coach Smith and his hires at Troy, I will trust his judgment and process until evidence shows otherwise. While the timing of having to hire a coach is less than ideal with the early signing period rapidly approaching, landing the right coach is more important than a single recruiting class. This is especially true with the amount of experience and talent returning next year. If the team sucked this year but had a great recruiting class lined up for next year I would be more worried about landing a coach quickly.
This is the best post on this topic. Hartwell knows what he is doing. I'm sure he has information not available to most people. Let the man do his job.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 5th, 2018, 8:39 am

LKGates wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 8:35 am
bwcrc wrote:

This is the best post on this topic. Hartwell knows what he is doing. I'm sure he has information not available to most people. Let the man do his job.
Exactly how I feel within a 10 -14 day window.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 5th, 2018, 8:40 am

I am not sure what y'all think Hartwell does every day, but I can promise that he doesn't maintain a running list of coaching candidates that he would hire. Furthermore, he does not have the time to gauge interest in potentially dozens of candidates and maintain a schedule for interviewing them on a first-round basis.

Hartwell runs a fairly large athletic department, and is the point man for various activities which cannot be put on hold or delegated to others while he does the grunt work for hiring a coach. He, along with input from President Cockett and other influential people, will make the final decision on who we hire. Utilizing a search firm is commonplace and allows Hartwell to not close up shop in the middle of an academic year. Consultants do this for a variety of industries, and something as high profile as college football is no different.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 5th, 2018, 8:47 am

A lot of knee jerk reactions by people that have incomplete information. I'm confident Hartwell is doing everything he can to quickly fill the vacancy and is weighing all factors carefully. After the hiring of Craig Smith, he has earned my trust.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 5th, 2018, 8:53 am

First, I get a kick out of people mentioning Ed Lamb or Troy Taylor on here or on social media. The reason that it's been only one name to emerge at this point is because that's the only real candidate being "considered". The rest of the names that are out there are "potential" candidates. I can do the same thing for clicks. There will be more names that surface over the next few days. I understand from an outside view why people would be uneasy about takingtime for the hire, but I also understand wanting to get the hire right. I'll wait for tangible results of "failure" before I start sharpening my pitch fork.... but that's just me.

newtonianblue

Post by newtonianblue » December 5th, 2018, 9:00 am

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Sounds like we may have lost GA. I hope Hartwell knows what he is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Source for this tweet was prob another thread on usufans :lol:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 5th, 2018, 9:05 am

I'm not one who is usually in "the know" - hell I don't even live in the State. HOWEVER, I do have it on decent authority that Jay Hill would not consider the ybu job. He'd jump at USU or Utah, but NEVER ybu.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 5th, 2018, 9:37 am

I would love to have Gary back as much as the next guy. Question what leverage does Gary have in this situation? Maybe other teams are considering him for the head coach, but it seems as if that list is not very big. It seems to me that the calls are not coming to have Gary be a team's head coach. If there are concerns of having him go through the vetting process that seems really silly. and petty.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 5th, 2018, 9:45 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:37 am
I would love to have Gary back as much as the next guy. Question what leverage does Gary have in this situation? Maybe other teams are considering him for the head coach, but it seems as if that list is not very big. It seems to me that the calls are not coming to have Gary be a team's head coach. If there are concerns of having him go through the vetting process that seems really silly. and petty.
You don't want to make a hire, then find out eight months from now that there are multiple Oregon State coeds buried in his back yard.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 5th, 2018, 10:03 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:28 am
ChicAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Joseph Heller in Catch-22 wrote:It doesn't make a damned bit of difference who wins the war to someone who's dead.”
Speaking of which, whatever happened to Yossarian? Haven't seen him around here for months.
I think he checked himself into the infirmary with a pain in his liver that falls just short of being jaundice. The doctors are puzzled by the fact that it isn't quite jaundice. If it becomes jaundice they can treat it. If it goes away they can discharge him. As things stand he can just sit there indefinitely...

I seem to recall Yos kind of going off the rails last summer and getting temporarily banned?? I could be wrong, I think he took it as a "I had better move on" moment though, hasn't been back since.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 5th, 2018, 10:12 am

ViAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:03 am
brownjeans wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

I seem to recall Yos kind of going off the rails last summer and getting temporarily banned?? I could be wrong, I think he took it as a "I had better move on" moment though, hasn't been back since.
Yossarian has not ever received a ban. Hasn't posted since August but it looks like they were logged in earlier this week.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 5th, 2018, 10:13 am

I could see how being told to "go through the process" instead of being welcomed back with open arms as the head coach of the program he turned around would be a huge blow to the ego for Andersen. It would sting just a bit to go full circle and now not be able to get the job. Oregon State was a huge mistake for him. I'm sure he would like the job, but if for some reason he didn't get it he would want the rest of the world to think he didn't pursue it.
Last edited by Chatman on December 5th, 2018, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 5th, 2018, 10:16 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:12 am
ViAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Yossarian has not ever received a ban. Hasn't posted since August but it looks like they were logged in earlier this week.
Okay my bad, I just remember him going off about something

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 5th, 2018, 10:23 am

It’s almost like Gary has something in his past the administration wants to get to the bottom of before making a multi-million dollar commitment to him.

Hail Aggies!

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 5th, 2018, 10:35 am

Chatman wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:13 am
I could see how being told to "go through the process" instead of being welcomed back with open arms as the head coach of the program he turned around would be a huge blow to the ego for Andersen. It would sting just a bit to go full circle and now not be able to get the job. Oregon State was a huge mistake for him. I'm sure he would like the job, but if for some reason he didn't get it he would want the rest of the world to think he didn't pursue it.
I think this idea has a lot of possible merit.

Interestingly when we hired GA the first time around he apparently came armed with his ideas for the turn-a-round. He sold USU on him, not the other way around. He was an up-and-coming coach that needed someone to take a flyer on him to advance his career. USU rolled the dice and struck pay dirt big. Now, if he isn't even willing to talk to a search firm it seems to me that he is not anywhere near as invested in keeping USU a success as he was in making USU a success the first time around. As grateful as I am for what GA did for USU (this season would have never happened without him) we can only hire him if he is *even more* invested in USU continued success than he was last time around. We need someone who is both capable of doing well *and* is willing to take a contract that has a significant buy-out and many incentive and penalty clauses
(as discussed on other threads since Wells' departure). If GA meets those criteria by all means hire him, if not take a pass and find someone who does.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » December 5th, 2018, 10:40 am

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Sounds like we may have lost GA. I hope Hartwell knows what he is doing.

Depending on circumstances, this tweet could have also read, "Utah State may have dodged a bullet because of internal politics and disagreements. They held off on making an official offer to Gary Andersen which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Stay tuned".

I have found in my life that the quick, knee-jerk decisions I have made, I've, generally, regretted. IMO, 10 to 14 days for this decision is reasonable. There are a lot of potential candidates to work through.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 5th, 2018, 10:57 am

ViAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:16 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:12 am
ViAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Okay my bad, I just remember him going off about something
Probably went off about people saying he was banned. Oh, and people were trying to kill him. I said they were trying to kill everyone and he wondered, what difference did that make?

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » December 5th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I honestly don’t know what to believe and what to disregard as gossip. But if the things I’ve read are true and Gary can’t respect the process, then FU€K him.

Albrecht and Barnes are gone.
It’s the Cockett & Hartwell show now.
Don’t like it? Stay in Salt Lake.

Hoping it’s all hear-say and that Gar-Bear hasn’t fallen that far from grace. Either way- Hartwell & Team are doing the right thing by being thorough and not moving too quickly.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 5th, 2018, 12:46 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:35 am
Chatman wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:13 am
I think this idea has a lot of possible merit.

Interestingly when we hired GA the first time around he apparently came armed with his ideas for the turn-a-round. He sold USU on him, not the other way around. He was an up-and-coming coach that needed someone to take a flyer on him to advance his career. USU rolled the dice and struck pay dirt big. Now, if he isn't even willing to talk to a search firm it seems to me that he is not anywhere near as invested in keeping USU a success as he was in making USU a success the first time around. As grateful as I am for what GA did for USU (this season would have never happened without him) we can only hire him if he is *even more* invested in USU continued success than he was last time around. We need someone who is both capable of doing well *and* is willing to take a contract that has a significant buy-out and many incentive and penalty clauses
(as discussed on other threads since Wells' departure). If GA meets those criteria by all means hire him, if not take a pass and find someone who does.
This sums up my biggest fear with hiring GA a second time. The first time he was hungry to be a HC and he looked at USU as a sleeping giant that just needed to be awakened again. He had a very specific formula and knew it would work in Logan. This time around, I have to wonder if the drive to succeed is equivalent or greater? Is there a desire to take USU to the next level, to overthrow BSU as the kings of the Mountain Div.? to help in elevating USU over the other FBS in-state schools? or is it just a comfortable place to settle down and ride out mediocrity, with little pressure, until retirement?

Many Aggie fans seem to look at the possibility that he may never leave as a pro for the program. But what if he is not as successful as we had hoped? The flip side of the issue becomes, he may never leave.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 5th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 12:36 pm
I honestly don’t know what to believe and what to disregard as gossip. But if the things I’ve read are true and Gary can’t respect the process, then FU€K him.

Hoping it’s all hear-say and that Gar-Bear hasn’t fallen that far from grace. Either way- Hartwell & Team are doing the right thing by being thorough and not moving too quickly.
Man! Tell us how you really feel? :)

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » December 5th, 2018, 2:46 pm

brownjeans wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:
brownjeans wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:57 am
Probably went off about people saying he was banned. Oh, and people were trying to kill him. I said they were trying to kill everyone and he wondered, what difference did that make?
:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » December 5th, 2018, 3:40 pm

I see what you are saying, but I reality it will be a few years either way. Either they are successful and they leave for a P5 school or they suck and they get fired. Either way 2 years. Just make a choice. I do see what you are saying though and you may not be wrong.
The problem with this thinking though is where is the program at the end of those two years. In the first option, USU is in a great place to entice another great coach to take over. In the second option, USU is then a bad team and we have fewer good options for the next coach. It's how we went through decades of bad football.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » December 5th, 2018, 3:44 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 1:44 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Man! Tell us how you really feel? :)
Haha looking back that was a little aggressive. Must’ve been in a mood after reading all the banter this morning.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » December 5th, 2018, 3:55 pm

bwcrc wrote:

When the life expectancy for a coach at USU is 3-4 years (if you suck, you are gone. If you are very good you are hired away), very recruiting class matters. Yes, the nucleus of next years team will return, but there are some glaring voids that need to be replaced I.e. primary receiver, O line, and safety. I know most of those needs will not be filled by freshman. Hopefully, the JC route can fill some of those holes.

Locked Previous topicNext topic