BYU to Potato Bowl

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueSteve
Posts: 486
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 1:19 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times

BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by BigBlueSteve » December 2nd, 2018, 5:49 pm

BYU (6-6) is headed to Boise to play Western Michigan (7-5). I love that we are headed to the sunshine, and BYU gets to freeze! :rock:



User avatar
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Posts: 8101
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by BigBlueDart » December 2nd, 2018, 6:24 pm

Why isn't Wyoming getting that spot?



BeNo
Posts: 744
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:38 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by BeNo » December 2nd, 2018, 6:25 pm

Because we, the MW and USU, own the potato bowl:

Image



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12718
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 699 times
Contact:

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by ProvoAggie » December 2nd, 2018, 6:53 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:Why isn't Wyoming getting that spot?
Because we traded this bowl for the First Responders Bowl that Boise is going to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk




User avatar
TrueBigBlue
Posts: 2525
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by TrueBigBlue » December 2nd, 2018, 6:59 pm

Because Hair Thompson doesn’t give a rat’s butt about this conference outside of Trucker U



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12718
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 699 times
Contact:

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by ProvoAggie » December 2nd, 2018, 7:04 pm

TrueBigBlue wrote:Because Hair Thompson doesn’t give a rat’s butt about this conference outside of Trucker U
Why would you say that? The trades he made likely saved us from going to Boise. He may not be perfect but he did a pretty good job this year with the bowl situation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk




bluegrouse
Posts: 3213
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by bluegrouse » December 2nd, 2018, 7:11 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 7:04 pm
TrueBigBlue wrote:Because Hair Thompson doesn’t give a rat’s butt about this conference outside of Trucker U
Why would you say that? The trades he made likely saved us from going to Boise. He may not be perfect but he did a pretty good job this year with the bowl situation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Don’t you know, Provo? Nobody gives a crap about anything. Wells doesn’t give a crap about his kids and his alma mater. Hartwell doesn’t give a crap about the future of USU. Thompson doesn’t give a crap about the MW. Everyone is a ruthless mercenary with only their own self-interest at heart trying to screw as many people along the way as possible.



User avatar
Aggie_in_Idaho
Posts: 48
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 2:45 pm
Location: Boise, ID
Has thanked: 564 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by Aggie_in_Idaho » December 2nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

TrueBigBlue wrote:Because Hair Thompson doesn’t give a rat’s butt about this conference outside of Trucker U
I’d have to agree. The talk a few weeks back (I live in the Boise area) was that if BSU was to be invited to the spud bowl they’d turn it down.
According to the local news this seems to be correct. So BYU and BSU swapped bowls.

I doubt that this would have been the case if any other teams would have been invited.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score
Posts: 2219
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by bigblue » December 3rd, 2018, 7:33 am

Aggie_in_Idaho wrote:
TrueBigBlue wrote:Because Hair Thompson doesn’t give a rat’s butt about this conference outside of Trucker U
I’d have to agree. The talk a few weeks back (I live in the Boise area) was that if BSU was to be invited to the spud bowl they’d turn it down.
According to the local news this seems to be correct. So BYU and BSU swapped bowls.

I doubt that this would have been the case if any other teams would have been invited.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tater zoobs through and through. Still giggling about the zoobs playing the Spud bowl though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16844
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by NVAggie » December 3rd, 2018, 8:48 am

I remember a day that we were happy to have the Potato Bowl to play in. I don't want to become so elitist that I scoff at a bowl game. We haven't really had much history playing in them. I agree that the Commissioner needs to find some better bowl tie-ins. Unfortunately, the P5s want to play the P5s. The top of the G5s want to play P5s as well. The only way we get that setup is if we go to the NY6 bowl.



User avatar
TrueBigBlue
Posts: 2525
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by TrueBigBlue » December 3rd, 2018, 9:26 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 7:04 pm
TrueBigBlue wrote:Because Hair Thompson doesn’t give a rat’s butt about this conference outside of Trucker U
Why would you say that? The trades he made likely saved us from going to Boise. He may not be perfect but he did a pretty good job this year with the bowl situation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Doesn’t Boise have a pretty sweet contract with the MW with bowl payouts? Who negotiated that one?



blueaggie
Posts: 949
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by blueaggie » December 3rd, 2018, 10:12 am

Unfortunately the weather in Albuquerque right now is 33 and it is 32 in Boise. Looks like we're all going to freeze. I don't know why they don't have all bowl games in warm climate areas like Texas, Florida, Arizona, and California? How much fun is it to go to a bowl game and freeze?



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1842
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 414 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by sam tingey » December 3rd, 2018, 11:40 am

blueaggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 10:12 am
Unfortunately the weather in Albuquerque right now is 33 and it is 32 in Boise. Looks like we're all going to freeze. I don't know why they don't have all bowl games in warm climate areas like Texas, Florida, Arizona, and California? How much fun is it to go to a bowl game and freeze?
Quite fun in fact. A little prep goes a long way! I enjoyed the Potato Bowls. I am glad we go to New Mexico this year as I wouldn't be able to make it to Boise this year. I just need to finalize a few things and then let taniataylor know I am interested in the group room deal. Should be a great time!



NavyBlue
Posts: 304
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:37 am
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by NavyBlue » December 4th, 2018, 2:01 pm

The Potato Bowl has to be hard on the Cougar fan pride and ego....LOL!



sneed
Posts: 843
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 2:32 am
Has thanked: 895 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by sneed » December 4th, 2018, 2:03 pm

NavyBlue wrote:The Potato Bowl has to be hard on the Cougar fan pride and ego....LOL!
No. They are very happy about it. They stole a bowl from the MW! LOL.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
RigAggie
Posts: 863
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by RigAggie » December 4th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Wyoming hates BYU almost as much as we do. This may push them over the edge.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14969
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 545 times
Contact:

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by treesap32 » December 4th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Hair Thompson did great in shuttling the Potato Bowl to BYU while stealing their higher paying, more prestegious bowl slot out from under them. Better opponent, better pay, and it puts us in a better bowl than we would've had otherwise as well. You guys do realize that the First Responders bowl pays out over $1.8M whereas the Spud bowl pays $950K right?

It sucks that Wyoming didn't make a bowl, but that's on them for not winning more games, and partially on Hair for not having enough MW tie-ins. THAT you can blame on Hair. But the bowl trades that he made helped the MW out this year.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14969
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 545 times
Contact:

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by treesap32 » December 4th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Hair making that swap made Utah State $67,431.81 according to my calculations (assuming that it also promoted us to the New Mexico Bowl as opposed to the Potato Bowl).



Aggiestyle
Posts: 435
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:25 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by Aggiestyle » December 4th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Wyoming vs BYU would have been a good game for a while until Wyoming pulled away.



User avatar
breadysmith
Posts: 802
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:35 am
Location: Lindon, UT
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by breadysmith » December 5th, 2018, 9:29 am

That was my thought on the game as well. Why bother flying out some far flung middling MAC team that will bring very few fans when you could insert Wyoming (I understand that they are just a middling MWC team) into that game and I'm sure it would draw far more Wyoming fans and maybe even more local Boise fans since there is a history with both teams.

Was it a given that BYU was stealing the MWC team spot and not the MAC spot? I don't see why this wasn't an option. I do realize that BYU and Wyoming played each other recently in a bowl game..but if you ask either fan base I bet they would prefer to play each other vs a MAC team.


"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12718
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 699 times
Contact:

Re: BYU to Potato Bowl

Post by ProvoAggie » December 5th, 2018, 9:41 am

breadysmith wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:29 am
That was my thought on the game as well. Why bother flying out some far flung middling MAC team that will bring very few fans when you could insert Wyoming (I understand that they are just a middling MWC team) into that game and I'm sure it would draw far more Wyoming fans and maybe even more local Boise fans since there is a history with both teams.

Was it a given that BYU was stealing the MWC team spot and not the MAC spot? I don't see why this wasn't an option. I do realize that BYU and Wyoming played each other recently in a bowl game..but if you ask either fan base I bet they would prefer to play each other vs a MAC team.
Because you can't just steal bowl spots. There are contracts in place. BYU didn't steal the MWC team spot, it was traded. We took a better bowl for Boise and gave up our spot. The MAC also had a contract and they weren't going to give up a bowl spot without getting something in return.



Locked Previous topicNext topic