Who are the finalists?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Who are the finalists?

Post by brownjeans » December 6th, 2018, 2:35 pm

I find the mention of Mike Yurcich and Mark Helfrich in this thread interesting. I haven't heard their names with this before.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 6th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Finally some real information

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 6th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Would prefer Hill to Gar-Bear, but Gar-Bear would be fine too.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 6th, 2018, 2:48 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 2:35 pm
I find the mention of Mike Yurcich and Mark Helfrich in this thread interesting. I haven't heard their names with this before.
Have you ever heard the name Kalani Sitake before? Some people are saying... that he is not happy at his current job. Not saying we should hire him though. :stirpot:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 6th, 2018, 2:51 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 2:33 pm
Full wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 2:31 pm
ViAggie wrote:Frank Maile is like a duck in a pond in back of the house you are looking to buy... he comes with the place, like it or not. Again, not speaking bad about the dude, I think he's solid, I like him, just stating the facts. Maile isn't going anywhere, and he's liked. He comes with the job, it's a package deal, you get the team and you get Maile.
The players want him here. He is a good enough coach he was co-DC for a couple years. I could see Maile getting a promise as a position coach in order stay in Logan and hold things together. I would have liked too keep Spencer. However, the reason Maile is available is very different than the reason Spencer was still in Logan.

*disclaimer. I know nothing outside the players really want Maile here.
Yeah, Bond just tweeted that he should be HC so it’s clear that at least some players really like him...
That sounds like the same nonsense that we heard as the reason to hire Duryea. It doesn't really matter who the players want -- this decision is bigger than the players. Bond will never even play for the new HC. Here's hoping Hartwell hires a great coach and that the great new HC hires some great assistants and that they then recruit some great players and have seasons that entertain fans and win games.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 6th, 2018, 2:56 pm

USUBlue wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 2:51 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
Full wrote:
ViAggie wrote:Frank Maile is like a duck in a pond in back of the house you are looking to buy... he comes with the place, like it or not. Again, not speaking bad about the dude, I think he's solid, I like him, just stating the facts. Maile isn't going anywhere, and he's liked. He comes with the job, it's a package deal, you get the team and you get Maile.
The players want him here. He is a good enough coach he was co-DC for a couple years. I could see Maile getting a promise as a position coach in order stay in Logan and hold things together. I would have liked too keep Spencer. However, the reason Maile is available is very different than the reason Spencer was still in Logan.

Yeah, Bond just tweeted that he should be HC so it’s clear that at least some players really like him...
That sounds like the same nonsense that we heard as the reason to hire Duryea. It doesn't really matter who the players want -- this decision is bigger than the players. Bond will never even play for the new HC. Here's hoping Hartwell hires a great coach and that the great new HC hires some great assistants and that they then recruit some great players and have seasons that entertain fans and win games.
Bond was a sophomore, no? Is he transferring? I agree with you wholeheartedly, but Bond will play for the new HC.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 6th, 2018, 2:59 pm

USUBlue wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Full wrote:

UMMMM, he's a sophomore with 1 yr left after this season and WILL BE BACK

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » December 6th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Usurossco wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 8:25 am
Three great candidates
Jay Hill
GA
Yost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard that Yost was part of a package deal made between Texas Tech and Matt Wells. It was my understanding that Texas Tech would only hire Matt if he brought Yost along with him. If Yost accepts the USU HC position I wonder what impact this will have on Matt? We already know how it will impact Texas Tech.
Last edited by thansen on December 6th, 2018, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 6th, 2018, 3:02 pm

USUBlue wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Full wrote:

Yep, kind of sounds like when the players wanted Matt Wells to be the next head coach.... Hard to compare football coaching to basketball

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 6th, 2018, 3:03 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 2:48 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Have you ever heard the name Kalani Sitake before? Some people are saying... that he is not happy at his current job. Not saying we should hire him though. :stirpot:
lol, yeah, I've heard that too. I guess BYU's admissions office doesn't care if BYU football sucks and Sitake is pissed that it's preventing him from getting the guys he wants.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 6th, 2018, 3:04 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:03 pm
ViAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
lol, yeah, I've heard that too. I guess BYU's admissions office doesn't care if BYU football sucks and Sitake is pissed that it's preventing him from getting the guys he wants.
BINGO

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » December 6th, 2018, 3:05 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:46 am
I have heard rumors (only) that Yost is NOT interested in being a HC. Remember, he already "retired" from one job because of stress. I think there's a reason he has the "surfer look" and I'm being honest here. I think he's no-drama Yost, the laid back surfer dude. Not really HC material. NOT to say he wouldn't make a good HC though.
He talked about his hair and persona during a recent interview at TT. He said he does it mainly for recruiting purposes, to set himself apart from the other recruiters. To make himself more memorable and approachable at the same time.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 6th, 2018, 3:09 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:04 pm
brownjeans wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
BINGO
That’s why you never hook up with a Cougar. Sure they pay for everything but eventually They’ll always end up treating you like a child.
Last edited by hipsterdoofus21 on December 6th, 2018, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 6th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Kalani Sitake hasn't done anything to deserve a new job. byu can have him.

aggie86
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggie86 » December 6th, 2018, 3:14 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Kalani Sitake hasn't done anything to deserve a new job. byu can have him.
I would absolutely love the hire if he was DC. Not going to happen, but he was fantastic at Utah.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 6th, 2018, 3:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:09 pm
ViAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:04 pm
brownjeans wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
BINGO
That’s why you never hook up with a Cougar. Sure they pay for everything but eventually They’ll always end up treating you like a child.
Uhhhh OK Image

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 6th, 2018, 3:20 pm

wacfan08 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 2:24 pm
treesap32 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 2:14 pm
I think Hartwell telling the new coach that Frank will act as the bridge through the bowl game, and could be retained by the coach if he so desired is completely reasonable.

Having it as a requirement that he be retained permanently as DC or another assistant seems like a big mistake to me.
I can tell you parts of that are 100 %true. Some is a guess. I think it is more about Gary and his hang ups from Barry Alvarez telling him what to.

I don't think it has anything to with Frank. And more to do with "I want to run my own program"

I should have said

Hartwell tells search firm if at all possible we want to keep Frank.

You are right about that.
I 100% know that is not a deal breaker for Hartwell.

I probably chose the wrong words in paraphrasing
You seem to be close to GA. Have his thoughts changed over the last several days? I was told that he was not wanting a HC position yet, still has some things that he is working though that would get in the way of HC responsibilities. And no this info did not come from twitter or other public forums.

Where only sage brush grows

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » December 6th, 2018, 3:21 pm

USUBlue wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Full wrote:

This may start to fall under the fallacy of composition. You may have a point but it has little to do with what happened with Duryea. Two completely separate actions, IMO. I like Maile a lot. Would he be a good HC? :noidea:, but Maile isn't Duryea.

As far as Bond, as has been pointed out, he will play for the next HC barring some tragedy.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 6th, 2018, 3:23 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:20 pm
wacfan08 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
I think Hartwell telling the new coach that Frank will act as the bridge through the bowl game, and could be retained by the coach if he so desired is completely reasonable.

Having it as a requirement that he be retained permanently as DC or another assistant seems like a big mistake to me.
I can tell you parts of that are 100 %true. Some is a guess. I think it is more about Gary and his hang ups from Barry Alvarez telling him what to.

I don't think it has anything to with Frank. And more to do with "I want to run my own program"

I should have said

You seem to be close to GA. Have his thoughts changed over the last several days? I was told that he was not wanting a HC position yet, still has some things that he is working though that would get in the way of HC responsibilities. And no this info did not come from twitter or other public forums.
He wanted the USU HC job as soon as there was rumor that Matt was leaving.

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » December 6th, 2018, 3:25 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
wacfan08 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I should have said

I am not close to GA.
My contacts are in the USU athletic department and in the USU history department.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 6th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Very grateful for the good info in this thread.

Those in the know -- is Jay Hill still coaching a big impediment for him right now as a candidate, or is Gary really just the frontrunner? I can see why he would be, but I'm just wondering if and/or how much Weber's playoff run is affecting our coaching search.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 6th, 2018, 3:28 pm

ViAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No Socks Jonny (I also believe he posts with a pseudonym on here) tweeted this a couple of days ago. Not certain I would favor this, with the exception of making BYU fans heads explode.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 6th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Donman wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:28 pm
ViAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No Socks Jonny (I also believe he posts with a pseudonym on here) tweeted this a couple of days ago. Not certain I would favor this, with the exception of making BYU fans heads explode.
There's nothing really more than his agency reaching out to question about the opening. His agent wouldn't be doing his job if he hadn't checked. Norm Chow wasn't wrong when he said USU is a better job right now that BYU. It's going to become increasingly more difficult for a coach to have success there.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 6th, 2018, 3:31 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:30 pm
Donman wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:28 pm
ViAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
There's nothing really more than his agency reaching out to question about the opening. His agent wouldn't be doing his job if he hadn't checked. Norm Chow wasn't wrong when he said USU is a better job right now that BYU. It's going to become increasingly more difficult for a coach to have success there.
Which his why I can't understand the concern about Hill leaving for BYU. Perhaps for the U (but I believe they'd have other internal options ahead of Hill).

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 6th, 2018, 3:34 pm

wacfan08 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:25 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
wacfan08 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I should have said

I am not close to GA.
My contacts are in the USU athletic department and in the USU history department.
Finally someone with real insider connections. Can you please find out which side shot first to start the Revolutionary War?

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » December 6th, 2018, 3:47 pm

wacfan08 wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
wacfan08 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
I am not close to GA.
Are you talking about RP as a source?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 6th, 2018, 4:15 pm

I may be in the minority but I would have preferred Sitake to Wells after GA left. I wonder what the last 6 years would have looked like and where we would be right now....and before someone answers "take a look at BYU", they had/have more issues than just their head coach. Wells has excelled when surrounded by good coordinators and failed when he was taking too much on himself. If Sitake were HC and had guys like Orlando or Yost, I have to think we would be in a similar if not better position. Of course this would be in a vacuum and assuming Sitake wouldn't have jumped ship to BYU after Roscoe left.

I also agree with Rat, that job is going to increasingly be less desirable unless there are major changes down there (and I'm not talking joining a conference). I don't see those changes coming anytime either because the entity that runs the school is on a different path and has different goals than making sure they have a top tier FBS football program.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 6th, 2018, 4:23 pm

As long as either JH or GA is our next HC I'll be ecstatic!! :scotsman: Of the others rumored it would be a meh :noidea:

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 6th, 2018, 4:45 pm

USUBlue wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Full wrote:

Relax. I never said Maile should be the HC. Like just about everyone else, I don’t think he’s ready. Just related what Bond tweeted as a sign that the players like him.

I trust Hartwell to make a great hire just like you...

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 6th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Jay Hill has made it clear that he is not the least bit interested in coaching at ybu, and he's LDS. That's saying something (I guess?)

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 6th, 2018, 5:00 pm

wacfan08 wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
wacfan08 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I should have said

I am not close to GA.
Hmm. Same here, except for the history department part.
I would welcome Gary back in a heart beat.

Where only sage brush grows

utaggies

Hey — there’s another potential candidate!

Post by utaggies » December 6th, 2018, 5:17 pm

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... hn-l-smith

I’m disappointed that USU got no mention as to one of Lucifer’s former stints —or the Univ. of Idaho either for that matter.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 6th, 2018, 7:11 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 12:27 pm
jackmormon wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 11:34 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:28 am
Yost was a great coordinator. And I know look little to nothing about him- but I’d be interested to know if he has the head coach personality.

Not that it means anything but on TV he doesn’t seem to have “the look”.

For those that know, is he vocal? Does he have head coach personality?

Certainly the possibility of offensive fire power.

Lastly, would any of the players feel he abandoned the team?
Brent Guy had "the look."
I thought he looked like Sgt. Slaughter.
I rest my case...

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 6th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Finalists are Tania, USUBlue, and Vic Koenning.

The real joke though is even if we hired one of those three, our hire would still be better than Maryland’s.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 6th, 2018, 11:38 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 4:57 pm
Jay Hill has made it clear that he is not the least bit interested in coaching at ybu, and he's LDS. That's saying something (I guess?)
Not really. I mean, I'm LDS and I'm not interested in coaching at BYU, either.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Locked Previous topicNext topic