8 Team Playoff coming?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
RigAggie

8 Team Playoff coming?

Post by RigAggie » December 12th, 2018, 9:40 am

Just saw this article: https://theathletic.com/708538/2018/12/ ... m-support/

I think this would open up a spot for the G5 top spot to compete?

aceofspadeskb

Re: 8 Team Playoff coming?

Post by aceofspadeskb » December 12th, 2018, 9:47 am

Can't read it. If you're going to post something that requires subscription, please summarize.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 12th, 2018, 9:53 am

I’m skeptical that they will reserve a spot for the top G5, especially if the pressure to expand is coming from the P5 conferences that tend to get left out, such as the P12 and B10 this year. I think it is conceivable to think a teams like Ohio State and Georgia could contend for the playoff if it were 8 teams and they were included. I don’t think UCF could without Milton, though I wish they were given a chance.

If the push for an 8 team playoff is because a two year undefeated G5 (UCF) is getting left out of an opportunity, then I think there is possibly a chance that the top G5 gets an invite, which would most certainly be as the 8 seed and have to play the 1 seed every year unless they happen to be so good that they are in the top 7 by ranking.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 12th, 2018, 10:24 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 9:53 am
I’m skeptical that they will reserve a spot for the top G5, especially if the pressure to expand is coming from the P5 conferences that tend to get left out, such as the P12 and B10 this year. I think it is conceivable to think a teams like Ohio State and Georgia could contend for the playoff if it were 8 teams and they were included. I don’t think UCF could without Milton, though I wish they were given a chance.

If the push for an 8 team playoff is because a two year undefeated G5 (UCF) is getting left out of an opportunity, then I think there is possibly a chance that the top G5 gets an invite, which would most certainly be as the 8 seed and have to play the 1 seed every year unless they happen to be so good that they are in the top 7 by ranking.
They won't. They'll do anything and everything in their power to keep G5's out.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » December 12th, 2018, 10:27 am

As a first step, rather than 8, go to 6 and give the top two a bye. All P5 conference champs and the top ranked G5 team get a spot. IMO, the CCG should be an elimination game.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » December 12th, 2018, 10:38 am

In summary, the push is primarily coming from ADs in P5 conferences that have been left out recently in favor of multiple SEC teams (B10, P10, B12). The ADs are certainly looking out for their schools/conferences first, however they all seemed in agreement that G5 should get a spot, saying what has happened to UCF is "unfair", and that it is arrogant for P5 schools to completely dismiss UCF. One AD commented that there isn't a metric available that can tell you whether or not UCF could compete for a national title.

The model being thrown around is 8 team playoff. 5 P5 champions, 1 G5 champion, 2 at-large. No conference championship games. First round of playoffs at campus sites taking place the weekend conference. championship games are happening now. Semi-finals/championship the same dates and site rotation in place now.

I am optimistic. It just makes too much sense. I'm not sure about getting rid of the conference championship games as that will bring in arguments when two schools in different divisions do not play, and are undefeated in conference play. Hopefully they can put this in place relatively soon.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » December 12th, 2018, 11:17 am

I could see the P5 conferences agreeing to "guarantee" a spot to a G5 team *if* they rank in the top 10 or 12. That would put a G5 team in the playoffs about every 5 years.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 12th, 2018, 11:31 am

I think 32 would be sweet.

gomeangreen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gomeangreen » December 12th, 2018, 11:46 am

I think it is likely to happen and agree that it makes too much sense. The question is how soon? Seems like the TV contracts will have something to say about it.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » December 12th, 2018, 1:21 pm

gomeangreen wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 11:46 am
I think it is likely to happen and agree that it makes too much sense. The question is how soon? Seems like the TV contracts will have something to say about it.
Article mention 6 years in to the CFP arrangement (which I think is after next year), would make sense. Half way through the TV contract, and all the semi final sites will have had an equal number of games. Not sure if ESPN would have first right of refusal for that first round, but if the semi finals/championship that ESPN currently gets remains the same, I can't see how they would be opposed.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 12th, 2018, 2:33 pm

The benefit of the 8 team is that conferences can have multiple teams . Conference champs and 2-3 at larges depending on if there is a g5 slot. Or top 8 teams, either way multiple P5 teams in at least 1 P5 conference.

If it’s top 8 then they should scrap commitee and go back to computers to prevent fraud against UCF type teams

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm

I've always thought that the BCS system should be used as a seeding tool for a playoff.

Full

Post by Full » December 12th, 2018, 4:45 pm

The problem with a 8 team playoff is the SEC would have to sign off on it. The only way for them to sign off would be if they could put four teams in, so no G5 representative. They also have no reason to change because the way it is set up benefits them over any other conference. When the SEC wants a playoff, then there will be news.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » December 12th, 2018, 5:15 pm

So so true! It is so ridiculous that the NCAA division 1 cannot have a 16 team playoff. Can you imagine the NFL going to a four-team playoff. I really don't understand how division one can get away with this. They are losing so much money because they don't have a playoff. Who cares about these bowl games that are meaningless. Go Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 12th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Full wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 4:45 pm
The problem with a 8 team playoff is the SEC would have to sign off on it. The only way for them to sign off would be if they could put four teams in, so no G5 representative. They also have no reason to change because the way it is set up benefits them over any other conference. When the SEC wants a playoff, then there will be news.
If they’re as good as they say in 8 teams they could theoretically have 8 teams in.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » December 12th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Full wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 4:45 pm
Why would the SEC have to sign off on it? They are just 1 of the P5 conferences, and as evidenced by the other NY6 bowl games, once you remove the conference champs from all P5 conferences they will get both at-large slots in most years. Assuming they put a rule in that you can't have intra conference matchups in the first round, they could potentially have 3 out of 4 semi final teams.

I also think it's unlikely they'd keep the G5 out based on the quotes from ADs (some anonymous) in the article.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » December 12th, 2018, 6:06 pm

I don't think the SEC would give up their championship game. It makes them too much money.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 12th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Not sure this is that difficult. Take the conference champions from each of the P5 conferences, two wild cards and one automatic G5(highest ranked champion) . This is an easy solution in my opinion and gives everyone a chance to make it.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 12th, 2018, 11:32 pm

FBS is the only sport that I can think of, at any level, where a team can win every time it takes the field and still not be able to compete for their sports ultimate title. Can you imagine the Jazz winning every game but being told they could not play in the playoffs because they are a small market team, or that their division was “too weak”? If the university of Maine basketball team wins every time they take the court, they will finish the season as national champions. It does not matter that they are a smaller program from a minor conference. It is totally unacceptable that FBS is the only sport, anywhere, at any level, where nearly half the teams will never get a chance to win their ultimate championship. Why does anyone think that is acceptable?

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » December 12th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Chatman wrote:Not sure this is that difficult. Take the conference champions from each of the P5 conferences, two wild cards and one automatic G5(highest ranked champion) . This is an easy solution in my opinion and gives everyone a chance to make it.
Yes that is exactly what is being proposed and discussed above your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » December 13th, 2018, 5:40 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:FBS is the only sport that I can think of, at any level, where a team can win every time it takes the field and still not be able to compete for their sports ultimate title. Can you imagine the Jazz winning every game but being told they could not play in the playoffs because they are a small market team, or that their division was “too weak”? If the university of Maine basketball team wins every time they take the court, they will finish the season as national champions. It does not matter that they are a smaller program from a minor conference. It is totally unacceptable that FBS is the only sport, anywhere, at any level, where nearly half the teams will never get a chance to win their ultimate championship. Why does anyone think that is acceptable?
Amen brother Swordsman, Amen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic