Our new offensive scheme under Mike Sanford Jr

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Our new offensive scheme under Mike Sanford Jr

Post by Madmartigan » December 17th, 2018, 3:26 pm

With Yost leaving and Mike Sanford Jr. being hired I am curious as to the schematic changes that will happen to the offense. I know Sanford has traditionally employed a more run heavy pro-style offense.

I think with our personnel we are best suited to continuing to run some variation of the air-raid hurry-up offense. How do you think the offense will change with Sanford coming in? We have the running backs to run the ball more, but I think with an NFL caliber QB behind center we would be best suited continuing to throw a lot.

FloridaAggie13

Re: Our new offensive scheme under Mike Sanford Jr

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 17th, 2018, 10:22 pm

I don't see it changing drastically, but I do anticipate more formations with Love under center. We really don't have any fullbacks so it would still be single back and gives the D even more formations for which they have to prepare to defend. Our roster is already built for single back, three and four WR sets.

GA likes aggressive offense - he dumped Bubbles after 2011 and the one year Wells was his OC, in 2012, the offense was fast paced though Wells used the option more due to CK's ability to run. GA butted heads with Alvarez in Wisconsin because Alvarez didn't like the philosophical shift on offense from a run-oriented offense to a spread offense.

We probably won't go as fast as Yost because I do remember Wells telling a funny story about how GA would give him the evil eye after quick three-and-outs that gave the D' about nine seconds of rest.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 18th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Adios no-huddle, up-tempo. You were fun to play with, and things went great this season, but we want a championship, not scoring records.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » December 18th, 2018, 4:47 pm

I hope they keep the uptempo. It puts defenses on their heels and helps exploit mismatches. I can understand maybe not doing it all game but would like to see it remain a part of the offense.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 18th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I would think we do a combination of tempos.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 18th, 2018, 9:01 pm

El Sapo wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Adios no-huddle, up-tempo. You were fun to play with, and things went great this season, but we want a championship, not scoring records.
This doesn't make any sense.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 18th, 2018, 11:16 pm

If I might, please allow me to steal a something that our new basketball coach said when he was asked what kind of offense he would run. Smith said, the winning kind. It's great to have a scheme, but to be dogmatic about it is folly. Sometimes it makes sense to do something different. For example, you have an up-tempo spread scheme. Sometimes it just makes sense to break from that scheme and put the QB under center on short yardage plays. That way you can sneak it, hand off, or play-action pass. It's a great thing to do and we NEVER did this under Yost. Our offense was great, but had we been more multiple in our formations and such (especially under specific situations), we could have been even better. You need to be able to do different things, because sometimes you've got to do something else to win.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 19th, 2018, 7:04 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 11:16 pm
If I might, please allow me to steal a something that our new basketball coach said when he was asked what kind of offense he would run. Smith said, the winning kind. It's great to have a scheme, but to be dogmatic about it is folly. Sometimes it makes sense to do something different. For example, you have an up-tempo spread scheme. Sometimes it just makes sense to break from that scheme and put the QB under center on short yardage plays. That way you can sneak it, hand off, or play-action pass. It's a great thing to do and we NEVER did this under Yost. Our offense was great, but had we been more multiple in our formations and such (especially under specific situations), we could have been even better. You need to be able to do different things, because sometimes you've got to do something else to win.
This is a very reasonable take. Dave Baldwin is much maligned on here but one thing he did well was he implemented multiple formations including the QB being under center when needed. I think Love happens to be uniquely good at the no-huddle hurry-up, which is why I think we should keep the offense similar as it was last year. When you have an NFL QB, you want him throwing the rock. It isn't gimmicky, it's an offense designed to catch the defense off guard and play to your strengths.

Additionally, a good defense is going to make any offense, regardless of the scheme look bad at times. Football is about matchups and exploiting the matchups that work in your favor.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 19th, 2018, 8:03 am

Dave Baldwin sucked. Period. So did Yost his first year. So what made the difference? Baldwin had a good QB.

I'm take what we ran this year over anything else I have ever seen at Utah State. No huddle can put our defense in a pinch of we're not scoring, but it is impossible for teams to chase 40 or 50 points on our defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » December 19th, 2018, 8:10 am

In one of Yost’s interviews, he said something to the effect of: we are going to out execute the opponent. To me, that means that they won’t have as many different formations but they were going to be really good at the formations that they have. It worked for us. Sometimes it is better to be really good at a few things than to be ok at a bunch of different things.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 19th, 2018, 8:40 am

dyedblue wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 8:03 am
Dave Baldwin sucked. Period. So did Yost his first year. So what made the difference? Baldwin had a good QB.

I'm take what we ran this year over anything else I have ever seen at Utah State. No huddle can put our defense in a pinch of we're not scoring, but it is impossible for teams to chase 40 or 50 points on our defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baldwin had one of the highest producing offenses in USU history. He did have some warts, but he did not suck. The fact that Baldwin had to replace his starting QB 6 games in with another QB with a very different skill-set and still had success is a testament to the fact that he did not suck.

I am not saying Baldwin didn't have flaws, he had some big ones. I don't think he sucked though. What makes you say he "sucked" at USU?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 19th, 2018, 9:11 am

I would love to see us keep the up-tempo no huddle. It is really effective when playing sea level programs in Logan (or bowl games in other high altitude cities vs Texas schools).

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 19th, 2018, 9:38 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 9:11 am
I would love to see us keep the up-tempo no huddle. It is really effective when playing sea level programs in Logan (or bowl games in other high altitude cities vs Texas schools).
I completely agree. I would like to add a wrinkle with a few formations where Love is under center in some situations. In the end however, it makes zero sense strategically for us to try to compete with programs that have more money, more resources, better recruiting classes and facilities, on their terms. Change the paradigm and make them adjust to us. This is how Boise rocketed from a D2 program to a perennial top 25 team.

Besides, you know it is a headache to defend when Nick Saban complains about it :)

Locked Previous topicNext topic