2002-2019: Average recruit trending by class trending upward. Average class national ranking trending downward.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
travelingagg
Has thanked: 0

2002-2019: Average recruit trending by class trending upward. Average class national ranking trending downward.

Post by travelingagg » December 19th, 2018, 12:33 pm

I got curious how the 2019 recruits compare to past years' recruiting classes.

The bad news is that although this is one of our best classes ranking #89 nationally, we're surprisingly trending downward relative to other schools averaging more poorly ranked classes over the 2002 to 2019 time span.

The good news is that the makeup of each class seems to be getting better:

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

BearLakeMonster

Re: 2002-2019: Average recruit trending by class trending upward. Average class national ranking trending downward.

Post by BearLakeMonster » December 19th, 2018, 2:51 pm

But what does this mean compared to Boise's class?

I hear they have a good one.

Bazinga22, any thoughts?

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Sl7vk

Re: 2002-2019: Average recruit trending by class trending upward. Average class national ranking trending downward.

Post by Sl7vk » December 19th, 2018, 9:54 pm

We aren't ready to compare to Boise yet.
We have other advantages that we can parlay like the mission program, and coaching up athletes better than them.
If we ever get classes close to them, they are in big trouble IMHO.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » December 20th, 2018, 9:38 am

USU's MO through the years has been to find gems off the radar, develop them, and turn them into players. Both Vigils are a prime example of this. Recruiting "numbers" and ratings are wonderful but they don't mean anything in the long run. You either have talent or you don't. With the exception of one year in the last ten, we have done a pretty good job at putting talent on the field that could compete and win.

Like Dale Mildenberger used to say: "They're all all-Americans on signing day."

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 20th, 2018, 10:53 am

AggiesForever wrote:USU's MO through the years has been to find gems off the radar, develop them, and turn them into players. Both Vigils are a prime example of this. Recruiting "numbers" and ratings are wonderful but they don't mean anything in the long run. You either have talent or you don't. With the exception of one year in the last ten, we have done a pretty good job at putting talent on the field that could compete and win.

It's nice to say they mean nothing but the top teams in the nation have the top recruiting classes.

Being able to develop players is huge though.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Full

Post by Full » December 20th, 2018, 12:05 pm

UtahStizzle wrote:It's nice to say they mean nothing but the top teams in the nation have the top recruiting classes.

Are these recruiting websites showing up and watching more than a few games? I get they are at Bingham and East, but there are not enough scouts to send out to every game in Utah and Idaho, so you only get rankings for the elite players at large schools. I look at the number of players from Cache Valley that end up starting. I know players get overlooked. Davis school district (70,000 students from across the county I live in) with three times the student population only has two ranked recruits on the 247 site for the last two years across nine 5A and 6A schools. Meanwhile East High alone has 14. Some of that is due to the concentration of Polynesian players, but part is due to people showing up and watching players.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 22nd, 2018, 6:34 am

UtahStizzle wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 10:53 am
AggiesForever wrote:USU's MO through the years has been to find gems off the radar, develop them, and turn them into players. Both Vigils are a prime example of this. Recruiting "numbers" and ratings are wonderful but they don't mean anything in the long run. You either have talent or you don't. With the exception of one year in the last ten, we have done a pretty good job at putting talent on the field that could compete and win.

It's nice to say they mean nothing but the top teams in the nation have the top recruiting classes.

TLDR: Coaches evaluate talent not ranking.

Yes- but the underlying talent is what means something. Not the rating that 247 gives someone. A rating is one general indicator of talent and how a recruit is currently perceived by a hand full of scouts and based on offers they have received.

Furthermore, championships are won by preparing under the squat rack and on the practice field. It’s not like teams separate by star as opposed to position group. We don’t have a “3 star coordinator”.

Stars matter to fans, and recruits. No one else.

Coaches are looking at much harder data than we are. They are evaluating actual film and picking up things that 95% of the people on this board don’t.

Often times those skills will align with what Rivals sees. The well known ones #1 overall are noticed by rivals because they’re noticed by literally everyone else and those rankings may align with what Saban sees.

We may not get those 5* recruits with obvious talent- we don’t have the prestige, cocaine, hookers or Harry Potter World trips to get them.

But we are still able to find talent.

"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 22nd, 2018, 8:43 am

[quote=Snip

we don’t have the prestige, cocaine, hookers or Harry Potter World trips to get them.

But we are still able to find talent.
[/quote]

This may be my new favorite quote.

bazinga22
Been thanked: 0

Post by bazinga22 » December 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am

I will say this, it cracks me up when people say ratings don't matter.The recruiting services although not 100 percent accurate are very close.Usually 4 and 5 stars turn out to be pretty good players and same with high 3 stars.They'll always be the under the radar guys like jj watt darren lee ryan connelly jack cichy leighton van de esch baker mayfield it will always happen.When you throw average rating like 86.00 few four stars alot of medium to high 3 stars it does matter compared to the rest of the MWC.

bazinga22
Been thanked: 0

Post by bazinga22 » December 22nd, 2018, 10:51 am

Last 5 years in terms of the mountain division.Division titles BSU 4, USU 1, NM 1,AFA 1, WYO 1, . Conference title game appearances BSU 3,AFA 1, Wyo 1.Conference titles BSU 2, everyone else in the division 0.

Locked Previous topicNext topic