2018 Redshirt Tracker Final Update

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Has liked: 1552 times
Been liked: 766 times

2018 Redshirt Tracker Final Update

Post by aggies22 » December 20th, 2018, 7:01 am

slcagg
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 150 times

Re: 2018 Redshirt Tracker Final Update

Post by slcagg » December 20th, 2018, 7:50 am

Was Uasike hurt this year? Surprisedthat he only played in two games.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 20th, 2018, 7:50 am

Love seeing the non-freshman get that redshirt year from a class stand point.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 20th, 2018, 7:52 am

Was always surprised that Iniguez didn’t try and redshirt. However it Makes sense now with the news we heard recently about him.

dyedblue
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 173 times

Post by dyedblue » December 20th, 2018, 7:53 am

I love how many o-linemen got significant game experience.

I just wish we'd throw the dang ball when we're up by 50+ so out backup QB could get experience and more importantly or receivers. This is college ball, if you can't stop the 2s and 3s then don't suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 20th, 2018, 8:33 am

slcagg wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 7:50 am
Nope. When Mo returned from his mission he was out of shape and needed work on his technique but our depth was so poor that Mo was unselfish enough to play his first two seasons while basically being over matched. With our improved depth, the coaching staff decided to return the favor this year and allow him to redshirt in order to improve his strength and work on his technique so that he would have a better chance of a career in the NFL when the time comes. He only played in two games because they were hanging on to his eligibility in case they had some injuries and he needed to play. Expect some big things from Mo in the future!

brian5562
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Post by brian5562 » December 20th, 2018, 9:06 am

Who on the list looks to make a big impact next year?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 20th, 2018, 9:58 am

brian5562 wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 9:06 am
Who on the list looks to make a big impact next year?
Obviously Justus Te'i and Maika Magalei. But as far as underclassmen go, SJ Uluave, Jacob South, Andy Koch and Tim Patrick.

sambonethegreat
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sambonethegreat » December 20th, 2018, 10:37 am

slcagg wrote:Was always surprised that Iniguez didn’t try and redshirt. However it Makes sense now with the news we heard recently about him.
What news? What happened?

USUBlue
13=13
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by USUBlue » December 20th, 2018, 10:50 am

sambonethegreat wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 10:37 am
slcagg wrote:Was always surprised that Iniguez didn’t try and redshirt. However it Makes sense now with the news we heard recently about him.

He won't be back for his Senior year; going to work instead.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 20th, 2018, 10:50 am

sambonethegreat wrote:

Iniguez has allegedly left the team.

GeoAg
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by GeoAg » December 20th, 2018, 11:25 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 8:33 am
slcagg wrote:
Nope. When Mo returned from his mission he was out of shape and needed work on his technique but our depth was so poor that Mo was unselfish enough to play his first two seasons while basically being over matched. With our improved depth, the coaching staff decided to return the favor this year and allow him to redshirt in order to improve his strength and work on his technique so that he would have a better chance of a career in the NFL when the time comes. He only played in two games because they were hanging on to his eligibility in case they had some injuries and he needed to play. Expect some big things from Mo in the future!
Seems like something more is going on as he didn't play at the end of the year when Unga was out. Sure could have used him in the Boise game IMO

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

utahcountyaggie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by utahcountyaggie » December 20th, 2018, 11:30 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 10:50 am
sambonethegreat wrote:

Dang, that's a big blow for next season's Oline. He was a big piece of not having to ENTIRELY replace the line. Now down to just Edwards and Ali'ifua returning with solid experience.

Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 20th, 2018, 11:48 am

utahcountyaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 11:30 am
aggies22 wrote:
sambonethegreat wrote:

Dang, that's a big blow for next season's Oline. He was a big piece of not having to ENTIRELY replace the line. Now down to just Edwards and Ali'ifua returning with solid experience.
There will be more scholarship players leaving -- average is 11-12 and more in a coaching change year. Real experience will be lacking at many positions next year. Not being negative, just being real! I like Andersen and many of our returning players, but expectations are closer to .500 than 11-2

oleblu111
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by oleblu111 » December 20th, 2018, 11:54 am

USUBlue wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 11:48 am
utahcountyaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 11:30 am
aggies22 wrote:
sambonethegreat wrote:

There will be more scholarship players leaving -- average is 11-12 and more in a coaching change year. Real experience will be lacking at many positions next year. Not being negative, just being real! I like Andersen and many of our returning players, but expectations are closer to .500 than 11-2
I expect a 7 win season next year this season was filled with weak teams. much tougher conference games next season.

Aggie84025
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Aggie84025 » December 20th, 2018, 3:30 pm

I know there are concerns about WR, OL and DB, but I feel like we have a solid core coming back. The OL that redshirted are good players. I am sure there will be a learning curve, but I feel like they will perform well. We need to get a good possession receiver in. I feel the defense is going to be really solid especially if we get back the injured DB backs. One thing that does concerns me a little bit is player leadership. This team really had good senior leadership which was a big factor in the success.

BigBlueDart
2017 FB Predict The Score Champion
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by BigBlueDart » December 20th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 3:30 pm
One thing that does concerns me a little bit is player leadership. This team really had good senior leadership which was a big factor in the success.
This is one thing that does not concern me. Andersen instilled a great player leadership system when he was before, and I'm sure he will do it again. Matt continued that a little, or at least benefited from the leader players that were still with the program in his first couple of years. Things went off the rails from '15-'17, but this past off-season he obviously finally figured it out and put the focus back on player leadership. I am sure that we have a lot of leadership still on the team in Love, Bright, Woodward, etc. So Andersen doesn't even have to start from scratch in that respect. I also think he's brought in some great guys as coaches that were leaders when they were players on his team before. That's going to trickle down big time.

Bondar4Aggies
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bondar4Aggies » December 20th, 2018, 4:12 pm

GeoAg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Seems like something more is going on as he didn't play at the end of the year when Unga was out. Sure could have used him in the Boise game IMO
This. He played against BYU and either MSU or AFA (2 big games) and was just dressed for every other game. I didn’t see if he was dressed for BSU, but he wasn’t dressed for the bowl game. I suspect he was being saved for Boise and the MWC championship/bowl game but got hurt right before.

Unfortunate because Unga’s injury against Boise forced us to just use Caden Andersen most of the game. Probably why Mattison ran all over us.

GeoAg
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by GeoAg » December 20th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Anyone know if Schuster will get a medical RS. It seems like an open and shut case to me and that he should get it. He was playing very well this year before he went down. he made a ton of improvement from previous years.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 20th, 2018, 4:57 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 4:34 pm
Anyone know if Schuster will get a medical RS. It seems like an open and shut case to me and that he should get it. He was playing very well this year before he went down. he made a ton of improvement from previous years.
Just the opposite, it’s more likely that he won’t get a medical redshirt.

Aglicious
Site Admin
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 182 times

Post by Aglicious » December 20th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Bondar4Aggies wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 4:12 pm
GeoAg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
This. He played against BYU and either MSU or AFA (2 big games) and was just dressed for every other game. I didn’t see if he was dressed for BSU, but he wasn’t dressed for the bowl game. I suspect he was being saved for Boise and the MWC championship/bowl game but got hurt right before.

Unfortunate because Unga’s injury against Boise forced us to just use Caden Andersen most of the game. Probably why Mattison ran all over us.
I kept a close eye on Uasike down the stretch wondering which games we would use for his remaining ones and I too am left :noidea: . He was dressed for the bowl game and sat next to Fua on the bench for the remainder of the game after his injury. After seeing him dressed in pregame I was sure we would see him in the rotation but then????.
You can see him here on the left:

Bondar4Aggies
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bondar4Aggies » December 20th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Bondar4Aggies wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 4:12 pm
GeoAg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I kept a close eye on Uasike down the stretch wondering which games we would use for his remaining ones and I too am left :noidea: . He was dressed for the bowl game and sat next to Fua on the bench for the remainder of the game after his injury. After seeing him dressed in pregame I was sure we would see him in the rotation but then????.
You can see him here on the left:
I stand corrected. So strange.

Locked Previous topicNext topic