recruiting rankings do matter article

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » December 21st, 2018, 4:12 am

Full

Post by Full » December 21st, 2018, 8:15 am

So to win a national championship, blue chip recruits matter. Now let’s talk about G5 level football. Boise looks set up with a much better recruiting class than other G5 teams, but outside Boise, is there that much do recruiting class rankings mean that much. I know San Jose usually has a better class than their performance on the field would indicate.

hickaggie

Re: recruiting rankings do matter article

Post by hickaggie » December 21st, 2018, 8:31 am

I've always kind of thought that once you are past the top 40-50 classes with few 4 star recruits spread out in the remaining class that there isn't that much correlation to class ranking and performance. I'm sure there is some on the mean scale but there is isn't much consistent data.

Boise is the G5 exception with 4 -5 4 star guys and I would expect they would rank well ahead of many P5s.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 21st, 2018, 9:08 am

this is assuming that all recruiting grades are assigned and fixed.
They are not they change constantly based on who is recruiting them. I remember coach Wells saying that they were recruiting a 2 Starkid out of California. And as more and more PAC 12 schools look at him. He went from a two two or three to four star but his hudle tape never changed.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 21st, 2018, 9:49 am

A couple of issues with this article...

-Number of players in the NFL may correlate to team success in college football, but it isn't a direct correlation. USC may have a ton of people drafted from their teams the last couple of years, but their teams have been fair at best
-As was pointed out, the star system is a feedback loop where a guy's stars change (up and down) based on the teams interested in them so it is not just a pure rating of the recruit
-For the most part, given that certain physical stature and characteristics are almost necessary for success in the NFL, I bet I could do a start rating based purely on SPARC numbers and be as consistent as the entire recruiting world. But in college football where there is greater variation in raw athletic ability and scheme, such a rating would be more indicative of NFL success rather than college success
-I also think that when we are talking about 4 and 5 start kids the ratings may be more accurate just because of the number of eyeballs on those guys. The variation and difference between a 2 start and a 3 start will be much wider simply because they aren't evaluated as widely

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 21st, 2018, 10:45 am

Tautology. Tautologies. Tautology's.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » December 21st, 2018, 10:56 am

USU78 wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 10:45 am
You’re just being redundant and repeating yourself.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 21st, 2018, 12:30 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 10:45 am
And furthermore, see my post here...viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48184&p=554820#p554820

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 21st, 2018, 12:36 pm

How many teams won a NC in the past 2 decades? A handful.

Blue chip recruits matter and are highly scouted. But there is a lot of untapped talent that doesn’t get scouted.

Obviously it’s important to have quality players- but it isn’t like Bobby Wagner was a 4* recruit. How many 5* are currently on UCF?

How many teams filled with 4* and 5* recruits under perform?

Alabama does well with 5* recruits. Too many people want to attribute Bama’s accolades to everyone else with something in common.

Stars are invented. Once they get on campus for spring ball or fall camp, there are no stars. It’s all about how you perform.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 21st, 2018, 4:51 pm

I seem to recall Paul "Bear" Bryant saying something like "winning is 90% talent and 10% coaching". Seems to me Utah State focuses on certain obvious physical and mental characteristics and builds the young man into something that other schools then wonder how they overlooked him.

It's a roll of the dice to offer a promising 17 or 18 year old athlete a scholarship. The bet is that he develops better than another not quite so promising 17 or 18 year old athlete who ends up at the school down the road. It becomes brutal when that "other" player scores the winning touchdown, makes the game saving tackle or kicks the winning field goal.

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » December 21st, 2018, 5:23 pm

in terms of mountain division titles and competing for mwc titles as well last 5 years i think recruiting rankings does matter.BSU has won 4 division titles 3 conference title game appearances and 2 conference titles

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » December 21st, 2018, 5:27 pm

Wisconsin has been a football power without many blue chip recruits their best class was 32nd in 2014 until this year 25th with 6 4 star recruits and almost 3.30 star average per recruit.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 21st, 2018, 5:28 pm

Until otherwise established, Boise is the premier football team in the MWC. They do so many things so well with the exception of their blue turf. Obviously the Boise Athletic Department and fans get off the turf, but it is a disservice to the excellence of their now establilshed football prowess.

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » December 21st, 2018, 5:29 pm

Coaching also is important, look at USC and FSU they recruit usually good but didnt coach well especially FSU last 2 years their worst 2 year record in a while.

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » December 21st, 2018, 5:33 pm

Was reading the BSU fan boards at times they were calling Harsin to be fired last season

Aggie_in_Idaho

Post by Aggie_in_Idaho » December 21st, 2018, 5:36 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:Until otherwise established, Boise is the premier football team in the MWC. They do so many things so well with the exception of their blue turf. Obviously the Boise Athletic Department and fans get off the turf, but it is a disservice to the excellence of their now establilshed football prowess.
This pretty much sums it for me as well. I recall the first time I saw the ugly blue field when I first moved to Boise in 1992. I thought wow, how nasty is that. I’ve never been able to take BsU serious because of it. Although they are a really good program and have a great team. I’ve never been able to take them serious as the field feels like a total gimmick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » December 30th, 2018, 4:39 am

was reading their season by season record https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_B ... ll_seasons pretty impressive tradition look at the consistency.

Locked Previous topicNext topic