Never Change BYU Fans

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Donman

Never Change BYU Fans

Post by Donman » December 26th, 2018, 10:01 pm

From TwitterImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sl7vk

Re: Never Change BYU Fans

Post by Sl7vk » December 26th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Classic.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 26th, 2018, 10:47 pm

My sister-in-law's ex husband was a scholarship athlete at BYU. The guy was so dumb he needed a cheat sheet to tie his shoelaces. He thought the Nazis built the Berlin Wall. No. Really. That isn't message board hyperbole. He REALLY thought the Nazis built the wall. With a BS from BYU, he's now driving a truck. Not that there's anything wrong with driving a truck.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » December 26th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Should have gone to Boise State, heard they have a good trucker program.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » December 26th, 2018, 11:23 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:Should have gone to Boise State, heard they have a good trucker program.

I do not even think BSU students think the Nazis built the Berlin Wall. But Boise does have a great trucking school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 27th, 2018, 7:28 am

BYU classes are NOT necessarily difficult- ask current USU accounting professors that taught at BYU as well (or attended BYU).

BYU grade inflates and it’s nearly impossible to get below a B. The grades required to get accounting jobs in Utah out of college show this. A 3.6 or 3.7 for the Big 4 to even talk to you. In bigger more competitive markets- it’s about a 3.3 to be a lock, but you can still get interviews if you’re around a 3.1.... largely because a 3.3 at BYU is worthless.

Granted, it’s harder to get into that program- and because those were good students to begin with they make good accountants.

But in terms of rigor in the accounting program, it isn’t close. USU is far more rigorous. If you think Shuman is hard wait till you have Doyle or Grange. (Grange does inflate slightly- but lots of people fail those tests)

BYU is a good school. It’s only hard to get into because more people apply. They have a better network for this reason.

But the actual coursework is NOT neccesarily more rigorous- their graduates are not inherently more qualified than graduates of any other 4 year institution and it is a logical fallacy to say otherwise.

An accredited degree is an accredited degree. That is all there is to it.

I know qualified and intelligent people from schools you’ve never heard of.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » December 27th, 2018, 8:39 am

Part of what I don’t understand, and maybe it is this way everywhere- I dunno. Maybe I need another perspective, but I find it odd that so many people who never sniffed college, never took any classes, never went to community college, never took concurrent enrollment classes, maybe they didn’t even graduate high school, it’s like they actively avoided college and education, yet they are huge BYU or Utah football fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 27th, 2018, 8:49 am

The idea that classes are harder at one school versus another is a silly myth IMHO. This really hit home back in the early 1990s when I took a few community college courses back home. The first course I took was a critical thinking course. The professor for the course was a professor at Dartmouth College (you know, Ivy League) and taught the exact same class at Dartmouth. The syllabus header said "Dartmouth College/College for Lifelong Learning - University of New Hampshire System". He used the exact same syllabus, text book, and grading system for both schools. The course was no more difficult than any course I took at USU. While at USU I took a Physics class from former astronaut Don Lind. I often wonder how much different a USU physics class taught by a retired astronaut versus an MIT physics class taught by a retired astronaut really is. I honestly think the real difference between a so-called elite university versus a school like USU is that the professors at an elite university may be more "cutting edge" or industry leaders. But the content of the courses and the subjects taught will not be significantly different.

That being said, outside of the Forbes and U.S. News national rankings, USU and BYU are ranked very similarly overall. The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) ranks both schools in the 118-139 bracket domestically. Washington Monthly ranks USU #12 in the USA and BYU #21. In global rankings ARWU ranks BYU in the 501-600 range and USU in the 601-700 range. The QS World University rankings rank both schools in the 801-1000 range. The US News global rankings put BYU at #601 and USU at #617 (not sure why there is such a massive change between the national and global rankings with US News). So the idea that BYU is some academically elite university is laughable. BYU is tough to gain admission to because so many LDS kids want a BYU diploma, and that usually increases rankings. But the academic product is not significantly different.
Last edited by swordsman1989 on December 27th, 2018, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 27th, 2018, 9:06 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 8:39 am
Part of what I don’t understand, and maybe it is this way everywhere- I dunno. Maybe I need another perspective, but I find it odd that so many people who never sniffed college, never took any classes, never went to community college, never took concurrent enrollment classes, maybe they didn’t even graduate high school, it’s like they actively avoided college and education, yet they are huge BYU or Utah football fans.

This.

I kind of get the BYU thing, like every young catholic kid followed Notre Dame football at some point.
But the amount of U fans I see that never went there, and are without any degree is really astounding.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 27th, 2018, 9:24 am

Donman wrote:
December 26th, 2018, 10:01 pm
From TwitterImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Technically speaking, he is right. The player did indeed trade one school for another.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 27th, 2018, 9:35 am

So what about offensive lineman Tristan Hoge? He swapped out the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame to attend byu. Does he fall into the "trader" category?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 27th, 2018, 9:41 am

I can say with confidence, as I attended both USU and BYU, earning degrees at both, that BYU is not tougher than USU. Some of my undergrad courses at USU were tougher than masters level courses at the Y.
For whatever reason, fans of the Y think they have to legitimize the school or try to make it better than it is. I don't want to get into a religious discussion here, but I think part of it is Mormon culture. There is this need down there to get the cool kids to like us.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » December 27th, 2018, 9:51 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 7:28 am
BYU classes are NOT necessarily difficult- ask current USU accounting professors that taught at BYU as well (or attended BYU).

BYU grade inflates and it’s nearly impossible to get below a B. The grades required to get accounting jobs in Utah out of college show this. A 3.6 or 3.7 for the Big 4 to even talk to you. In bigger more competitive markets- it’s about a 3.3 to be a lock, but you can still get interviews if you’re around a 3.1.... largely because a 3.3 at BYU is worthless.

Granted, it’s harder to get into that program- and because those were good students to begin with they make good accountants.

But in terms of rigor in the accounting program, it isn’t close. USU is far more rigorous. If you think Shuman is hard wait till you have Doyle or Grange. (Grange does inflate slightly- but lots of people fail those tests)

BYU is a good school. It’s only hard to get into because more people apply. They have a better network for this reason.

But the actual coursework is NOT neccesarily more rigorous- their graduates are not inherently more qualified than graduates of any other 4 year institution and it is a logical fallacy to say otherwise.

An accredited degree is an accredited degree. That is all there is to it.

I know qualified and intelligent people from schools you’ve never heard of.
As a USU accounting grad, I can vouch for this! USU prepared me for my career at least as well, and in some subjects better than the BYU grads I started my career with.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 27th, 2018, 10:24 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
December 26th, 2018, 11:23 pm
BigBlueAggie wrote:Should have gone to Boise State, heard they have a good trucker program.
I do not even think BSU students think the Nazis built the Berlin Wall. But Boise does have a great trucking school.
Oh, great. Now you're going to tell me the Nazis didn't bomb Pearl Harbor.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » December 27th, 2018, 10:32 am

It’s a troll account, guys. Y’all been had!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 27th, 2018, 10:35 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 9:35 am
So what about offensive lineman Tristan Hoge? He swapped out the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame to attend byu. Does he fall into the "trader" category?
No, it only goes one way. If a player "trades" schools in order to attend BYU, then they've obviously "seen the light".

A Notre Dame commit going to BYU is the daily double because of the whole Catholic to LDS thingy-majig. Maybe the trifecta would be a player going from Boston College or SMU > Notre Dame > BYU...

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 27th, 2018, 10:35 am

USU78 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 10:24 am
Jjoey53 wrote:
No, that was the Soviets.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 27th, 2018, 11:04 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 10:35 am
USU78 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
They're everywhere.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 27th, 2018, 11:09 am

USU78 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
Use to be my signature (language)

newblueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by newblueaggie » December 27th, 2018, 3:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 9:35 am
What about our offensive linemen from this past season Ficklin and Andrus who were both at BYU. That school didn’t value them, and for the past two years, the Aggies O-line dominated the BYU defensive line.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 27th, 2018, 3:31 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 11:04 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 10:35 am
USU78 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
They're everywhere.
Damn skippy they are! I check under my bed every night.

frogman812

Post by frogman812 » December 27th, 2018, 5:16 pm

So, do Universities need to cast off fans who failed to obtain a degree or never even attended classes? I never interned or worked on the grounds crew for the St. Louis Cardinals, so am I not qualified to be their fan? I didn't know there was a litmus test for University fans. I'd expect that attitude from YBU, not Aggies. Maybe those you deem not worthy of USU fandom shall be required to wear a scarlet A. I'll wear my scarlet A as I'm a WSU alum and I'll kiss your rings should I be lucky enough to be allowed in your presence. Regulators of fandom ride again. :stirpot:

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 27th, 2018, 5:22 pm

FWIW, I never attended a class at USU. I do have a college degree but not from Utah State.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 27th, 2018, 5:24 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 5:22 pm
FWIW, I never attended a class at USU. I do have a college degree but not from Utah State.
FWIW, we love you.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 27th, 2018, 5:25 pm

frogman812 wrote:So, do Universities need to cast off fans who failed to obtain a degree or never even attended classes? I never interned or worked on the grounds crew for the St. Louis Cardinals, so am I not qualified to be their fan? I didn't know there was a litmus test for University fans. I'd expect that attitude from YBU, not Aggies. Maybe those you deem not worthy of USU fandom shall be required to wear a scarlet A. I'll wear my scarlet A as I'm a WSU alum and I'll kiss your rings should I be lucky enough to be allowed in your presence. Regulators of fandom ride again. :stirpot:
Agreed.
The two posters that made that comment are both jackasses in my book, now. Go cheer for the cougars, pricks.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 27th, 2018, 6:54 pm

I always thought it odd with Ute fans in particular.

It’s not that they are fans without degrees. It’s that the particular types I’m thinking of

A.) couldn’t get a degree- because they don’t have the academic work ethic
B.) are arrogant
c.) spend stupid money on lifted trucks with PAC 12 stickers on the back. Yet they don’t have money to pay their child support.

Yes, I’m generalizing. But I’m generalizing about a specific type of Ute fan, a drunk
Uncle Rico living vicariously through Ute football.

If someone went to USU and roots for Utah or BYU, I don’t really judge so long as they have a good reason for attending USU. Ie, Wanted to study something specific, better scholarship, legacy, closer to home, didn’t get into BYU (but take generals and transfer- if you don’t buy in).

It’s the Salt Lake version of the Provo All-Star that is what I dislike.

If someone has a degree from anywhere there is at least some respect. I like Florida because my uncle was a professor there and my older cousins went there when I was a toddler. So i always had a bunch of UF gear. I didn’t go to UF.

It’s weird enough for me to be trash talking FSU- But it’s especially odd if I never went to college and started trash talking a bunch of Georgia or FSU fans it wouldn’t be a very good move.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » December 27th, 2018, 8:40 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 5:22 pm
Actually I think I do get it. At least in part.

We wouldn't turn down a graduate of another school if they loved USU and bought season tickets and cheared on the team. We'd welcome the growing fanbase wouldn't we.

But... I do recognize bitterness for being a dumpster fire. I was like that and sadly on one occasion asked why a fan of another school would be at our game. They weren't a fan of our opponent so why not welcome them if they're helping support us.

Now the following is sarcastic and/or nonsense please note the silly emoticons

:sarcasm: I guess I have arrived at a truly enlightened state and can pontificate on what it is to be a true Aggie :sarcasm:

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » December 27th, 2018, 9:56 pm

I will concede that it is more stressful going to BYU.

Between your roommates being snitches for failing to time a movie perfectly, and it ending at 12:02, being refused service at the food court because of a 5 o'clock shadow, and taking too many steps on the sabbath, the (dis)honor code can be quite obtuse.

Not to mention being surrounded by drama queens whose life is over if you get a B-.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 27th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 6:54 pm

It’s not that they are fans without degrees. It’s that the particular types I’m thinking of

B.) are arrogant
c.) spend stupid money on lifted trucks with PAC 12 stickers on the back. Yet they don’t have money to pay their child support.

Yes, I’m generalizing. But I’m generalizing about a specific type of Ute fan, a drunk

If someone went to USU and roots for Utah or BYU, I don’t really judge so long as they have a good reason for attending USU. Ie, Wanted to study something specific, better scholarship, legacy, closer to home, didn’t get into BYU (but take generals and transfer- if you don’t buy in).

If someone has a degree from anywhere there is at least some respect. I like Florida because my uncle was a professor there and my older cousins went there when I was a toddler. So i always had a bunch of UF gear. I didn’t go to UF.

It’s weird enough for me to be trash talking FSU- But it’s especially odd if I never went to college and started trash talking a bunch of Georgia or FSU fans it wouldn’t be a very good move.
The irony is the abundance of UF fans that fit your description of Ute fan to a "T". Especially the lifted trucks and not being able to pay their child support and couldn't prounounce the Old Ball Coach's name due the lisp caused by the gap in their front teeth.

But I generalize...

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » December 27th, 2018, 11:25 pm

This is not a criticism of BYU, only an observation. Just before I graduated, Dr Spall (the Mechanical Engineering department head) took a few of us seniors and asked us for feedback on the MAE program. He mentioned that one of the major differences between our Mech. Eng. program and BYU's was that our program focused heavily on theoretical understanding of topics (ie book knowledge) while BYU focused on practical knowledge (ie more hands on basic understanding). BYU has a lot of labs for their students while ours did not. Basically, if you want to do research or teach or get a PhD, you go to USU. BYU does a better job of preparing their students for entry level engineering jobs while USU prepares their students for graduate degrees and research positions. Now that doesn't mean you won't see engineers with PhDs from BYU, but you are probably more likely to see one with a PhD from USU.

Fun fact- I work at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Washington as a Nuclear Engineer. On my current project, out of around 20 engineers, two of us are USU grads, two are BYU grads, and one is a U of U grad. There are tons of engineers from all three schools up here.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 28th, 2018, 7:50 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 11:24 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

B.) are arrogant

The irony is the abundance of UF fans that fit your description of Ute fan to a "T". Especially the lifted trucks and not being able to pay their child support and couldn't prounounce the Old Ball Coach's name due the lisp caused by the gap in their front teeth.

But I generalize...

Lot of fine people in Florida and a lot of crazies. Tim Tebow was basically a pastor leading one of the most thuggish teams in college football history.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 28th, 2018, 9:19 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 7:50 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

B.) are arrogant

But I generalize...

Lot of fine people in Florida and a lot of crazies. Tim Tebow was basically a pastor leading one of the most thuggish teams in college football history.
It's the same diversity here as it is everywhere else. Yes to the Tim Tebow situation; Aaron Hernandez and Chris Rainey to name just a few. All the while Saint Urban looked the other way.

I once saw a Jaguar with a lift kit sporting five-foot high mudder tires in an Ocala BBQ restaurant parking lot.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 28th, 2018, 9:56 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 9:19 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 7:50 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

B.) are arrogant

But I generalize...

It's the same diversity here as it is everywhere else. Yes to the Tim Tebow situation; Aaron Hernandez and Chris Rainey to name just a few. All the while Saint Urban looked the other way.

I once saw a Jaguar with a lift kit sporting five-foot high mudder tires in an Ocala BBQ restaurant parking lot.
Gators fans are about the funniest group I have ever seen. I lived in Citrus county, just southwest of Ocala, for about six years in total. It is the part of Florida that encompasses just about every stereotype of Florida you could possible imagine. A very odd combination of rednecks and retirees. I lived near a mobile home in Lecanto that proudly flew the confederate flag, a UF flag, a Jacksonville Jaguars flag, and had several old rusted out cars strewn across the lawn. The front porch had old worn out living room furniture, and there were always cans of cheap beer gathered near the steps. One day I drove past and the hillbillies were sitting on the porch, drinking beer, and shooting at their old rusted cars. I so wanted to stop and take a picture, but was scared I would get shot if I did. But it was the perfect stereotypical Florida redneck scene.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » December 28th, 2018, 11:11 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
frogman812 wrote:So, do Universities need to cast off fans who failed to obtain a degree or never even attended classes? I never interned or worked on the grounds crew for the St. Louis Cardinals, so am I not qualified to be their fan? I didn't know there was a litmus test for University fans. I'd expect that attitude from YBU, not Aggies. Maybe those you deem not worthy of USU fandom shall be required to wear a scarlet A. I'll wear my scarlet A as I'm a WSU alum and I'll kiss your rings should I be lucky enough to be allowed in your presence. Regulators of fandom ride again. :stirpot:
Agreed.
The two posters that made that comment are both jackasses in my book, now. Go cheer for the cougars, pricks.

Really? Are you talking about my comment? I’m not really sure what I said that was so offensive. I said I don’t understand it.... I don’t see that as a reason to have your feelings so hurt and call names. I’m not a fan of a lot of other sports, probably because I don’t really have a personal connection. Maybe a lot of people don’t need that kind of connection, or maybe they like the school because their mom went there or something, I guess. I wondered if it was like this everywhere, but it must be, Duke or Alabama don’t graduate those kind of numbers.
Anyway the degree thing got overblown, my point was just that I find it strange that so often (it seems to me, from the outside) people who appear to have little reason to like a team so much, are such die hards. I’m sorry that I caused you to feel so emotional, and I hurt your feelings so much, with my comment on this message board.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 28th, 2018, 7:50 pm

The only other recent team that rivals that UF team (that I know of) is the USU teams under Wells (also FSU). I’m not sure Wells turned the blind eye that Urban did. Urban I think also tried to help kids- but really did turn a blind eye. There were like 30 something arrests... I admittedly don’t follow other teams legal issues of current and former players

But just off the top of my head (some more serious than others and not all crimes while at USU- similar to UF)

J. Evans
Green
Dickerson
Weichers
Copier
Natson...

Not including simple possession, DUI, or MIP type charges. Otherwise the number would increase significantly. Ronald Butler (one of my favorite former Aggies that people don’t talk about anymore) making a poor decision isn’t the same as shaking a baby.

Locked Previous topicNext topic