MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
jpswensen
Posts: 1249
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by jpswensen » January 9th, 2019, 10:07 am



"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Salvor Hardin - Foundation (Asimov)

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 1939
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by ineptimusprime » January 9th, 2019, 11:50 am

I've always thought these things were stupid, and this just confirms that.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2262
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by ChicAggie » January 9th, 2019, 12:08 pm

This is literally one of the stupidest things I have seen. What is the point?


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1594
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by JSHarvey » January 9th, 2019, 12:13 pm

"Every FBS team started with land, which began changing hands in Week 1. It then kept changing all the way through the title game."

What is the decision rule for territory to change? If it has anything to do with winning games then USU's 10 in a row should have had us showing up until we lost to Boise. So this must be "measuring" something else entirely since the time lapse doesn't seem to include us at all.


EDIT: Never mind, I found it.


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 356
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by thegreendalegelf » January 9th, 2019, 12:15 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 12:13 pm
"Every FBS team started with land, which began changing hands in Week 1. It then kept changing all the way through the title game."

What is the decision rule for territory to change? If it has anything to do with winning games then USU's 10 in a row should have had us showing up until we lost to Boise. So this must be "measuring" something else entirely since the time lapse doesn't seem to include us at all.
The winner of each game takes all the land for both teams. So we lost our land to MSU week 1. Then no one we played had any land. We very nearly got the land UNLV has now. Had CSU beat Nevada the week before we played them, we would have gotten it, but CSU lost.

I don't get why some people are hating on this. Its just a fun, different way to follow the season.



jpswensen
Posts: 1249
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by jpswensen » January 9th, 2019, 1:01 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 12:15 pm
JSHarvey wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 12:13 pm
"Every FBS team started with land, which began changing hands in Week 1. It then kept changing all the way through the title game."

What is the decision rule for territory to change? If it has anything to do with winning games then USU's 10 in a row should have had us showing up until we lost to Boise. So this must be "measuring" something else entirely since the time lapse doesn't seem to include us at all.
The winner of each game takes all the land for both teams. So we lost our land to MSU week 1. Then no one we played had any land. We very nearly got the land UNLV has now. Had CSU beat Nevada the week before we played them, we would have gotten it, but CSU lost.

I don't get why some people are hating on this. Its just a fun, different way to follow the season.
I think it is fun too. In my nerd speak, I call it the "Spatio-temporal transitive property of college football". By adding in the progressive time component of the season as it goes on, it gets rid of any potential circular reasoning (like the "Circle of Suck") that happen in normal transitive property arguments.


"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Salvor Hardin - Foundation (Asimov)

NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 1529
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm

DRIVEL... mindless speculation by a mindless speculator. UNLV with any area of influence,,,why,,,how,,,??????



User avatar
BigVBAg
Posts: 743
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 5:16 pm
Location: Springville, UT
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 0

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by BigVBAg » January 9th, 2019, 2:04 pm

This is just a form of "last bucket wins." The only people with the possibility of having land at the end of the year are those who won their final game, and only if that game involved at least one team who had land at that point in the season.

I actually find it interesting that our land, which was claimed in week 1 by Michigan State, ended up being owned by anyone from the MWC. Preseason prognosticators would have more likely predicted that it end up being owned by someone from the Big 10.



User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1594
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by JSHarvey » January 9th, 2019, 3:24 pm

BigVBAg wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:04 pm
This is just a form of "last bucket wins." The only people with the possibility of having land at the end of the year are those who won their final game, and only if that game involved at least one team who had land at that point in the season.

I actually find it interesting that our land, which was claimed in week 1 by Michigan State, ended up being owned by anyone from the MWC. Preseason prognosticators would have more likely predicted that it end up being owned by someone from the Big 10.
I'd make the decision rule something like:
1. For any game decided in overtime each team keeps whatever they had going in.
2. For any regular (non-OT) game decided by 7 points or less the winning team gets only half of the loser's land (rounding up for odd numbered counties).
3. Any win of 8 or more winner takes all.


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 356
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by thegreendalegelf » January 9th, 2019, 3:33 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 3:24 pm
BigVBAg wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:04 pm
This is just a form of "last bucket wins." The only people with the possibility of having land at the end of the year are those who won their final game, and only if that game involved at least one team who had land at that point in the season.

I actually find it interesting that our land, which was claimed in week 1 by Michigan State, ended up being owned by anyone from the MWC. Preseason prognosticators would have more likely predicted that it end up being owned by someone from the Big 10.
I'd make the decision rule something like:
1. For any game decided in overtime each team keeps whatever they had going in.
2. For any regular (non-OT) game decided by 7 points or less the winning team gets only half of the loser's land (rounding up for odd numbered counties).
3. Any win of 8 or more winner takes all.
They did one variation where you can only win land by winning on the road. Even then you only get a percentage of their land based on what percentage of the points your team scored (win 14-7 get 67% of their land.) That was pretty cool.



User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1594
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by JSHarvey » January 13th, 2019, 10:21 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 3:33 pm
JSHarvey wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 3:24 pm
BigVBAg wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:04 pm
This is just a form of "last bucket wins." The only people with the possibility of having land at the end of the year are those who won their final game, and only if that game involved at least one team who had land at that point in the season.

I actually find it interesting that our land, which was claimed in week 1 by Michigan State, ended up being owned by anyone from the MWC. Preseason prognosticators would have more likely predicted that it end up being owned by someone from the Big 10.
I'd make the decision rule something like:
1. For any game decided in overtime each team keeps whatever they had going in.
2. For any regular (non-OT) game decided by 7 points or less the winning team gets only half of the loser's land (rounding up for odd numbered counties).
3. Any win of 8 or more winner takes all.
They did one variation where you can only win land by winning on the road. Even then you only get a percentage of their land based on what percentage of the points your team scored (win 14-7 get 67% of their land.) That was pretty cool.
That would make for a much more interesting map.


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

trombone_ninja
Posts: 983
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by trombone_ninja » January 16th, 2019, 8:59 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 12:08 pm
This is literally one of the stupidest things I have seen. What is the point?
I think the stupidity of it kind of IS the point... I think it’s just people with too much time on their hands having a little fun. Granted, there are more productive things they could be doing
Last edited by trombone_ninja on January 17th, 2019, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2262
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by ChicAggie » January 17th, 2019, 8:31 am

Fair enough. I must have been in a pissy mood when I first looked at it because I was looking for the quantitative value of the map and saw none. In terms of meaningless silliness, it makes some sense.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14241
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 59 times
Contact:

Re: MWR: 4-8 UNLV ends up 5 in College Football Empires map

Post by treesap32 » January 17th, 2019, 3:05 pm

It's just for fun. I like it.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic