Early Football record predictions

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 376
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by thegreendalegelf » February 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I've got us at 9-3. Losses to LSU, Boise and either SDSU or Fresno.

Fresno lost a lot of production this year. I expect a small drop for them. SDSU just isn't that intimidating as they were a couple years ago (they could easily jump back up.) I also love that we have a bye before SDSU. I don't love that its that early in the season but I like that it is pre-SDSU.

We will have a good shot at Boise but I am not confident that we can steal it.

BYU-Provo is going to be beaten, bruised and broken by the time we get them. I wouldn't be shocked if they were 0-7 coming in to Logan. However I expect them to be 2-5. We've got a great shot at breaking their back.

Wake Forest is probably our 5th toughest game. I don't feel super confident here. However, with a new coaching staff, they won't have a lot to scout us off of. Look at how BYU-Provo beat Arizona last year because Zona wasn't prepared for their offense.

CSU, AF, Wyoming, and Nevada aren't going to be easy but we should be fine.

New Mexico should be a cake walk.

I'm hoping that we start pulling students out of the stands for Stony Brook.



captain68
Posts: 116
Joined: August 29th, 2013, 6:37 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by captain68 » February 5th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Exactly! It all has to do with sample size. Yeah, Wilson had some good games, but he has not played enough games that anyone can say if he is a world beater or not. Right now, he reminds me of a diluted Hill, with worse wide receivers. BYU will be a one trick pony this year. If you stop Wilson, you will stop BYU. Once teams have had a chance to scout him out, they will continue losing games. Not to mention, he is a running QB. His chances of being healthy all season are slim to none.

I honestly don't know why there would be a little brother mentality when it comes to BYU. Lets be honest, BYU the last few years would have been the same as a middle of the pack MWC team at best akin to Colorado State, Airforce, Nevada. I see no reason to believe that anything is going to change at that institution in the near future. Their recruits continue to go downhill, their fan base is losing interest, they are losing games they should win, and their coach is really nothing to write home about. I know some of you closet BYU fans have a hard time admitting this, but right now our program is in a much better place than BYU's.



User avatar
sammyhagar
Posts: 336
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:15 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by sammyhagar » February 5th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Fresno's QB was very integral to their success, he is gone.
Boise QB is gone, meanwhile, our QB is back and will be more seasoned than PY.
we can beat Wake, ( remember Gary's first game at Auburn?) he will be ready.
CSU, BYU at home, edge to us.
SDSU is very beatable, tough game however, need the Aztec monkey off our back.

Tipa and our D should be very solid, if not scary at times.
We will have good RB
But, as always with football, line play is key, we shall see what they come up with. I am optimistic.
8-4



AggieUprising50
Posts: 408
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by AggieUprising50 » February 5th, 2019, 12:32 pm

I think the X factor this year is the O-Line. We had a REALLY good front 5 last year that did amazing things in pass protection and did a great job opening up holes in the run game.

Edwards is back, which is good. Someone here said Moroni I is also coming back too? But other than that, we have some big shoes to fill.

If the O-line can replicate last years production, or come close to it, I predict a 10 to 11 win season. If they struggle, my guess would be a 7 wins.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2019
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by ineptimusprime » February 5th, 2019, 12:32 pm

My expectation/benchmark to call it a successful season is 7-5 or 8-4. 6-6 would not be a huge surprise, but would be pretty disappointing. 9-3 or better would be a massive success with that schedule.

I am most worried about LSU, Wake, Boise, SDSU, and Fresno (in that order). Admittedly, I am going off of history and am not well informed with what Boise, SDSU, and Fresno actually have coming back.

While I mostly think Gary is back in his element and will knock it out of the park, I do have moments where I worry about how things ended at OSU and think there's a chance this could go very badly very quickly if we get off to a slow start.



LKGates
Posts: 3122
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by LKGates » February 5th, 2019, 1:19 pm

captain68 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 12:22 pm
Exactly! It all has to do with sample size. Yeah, Wilson had some good games, but he has not played enough games that anyone can say if he is a world beater or not. Right now, he reminds me of a diluted Hill, with worse wide receivers. BYU will be a one trick pony this year. If you stop Wilson, you will stop BYU. Once teams have had a chance to scout him out, they will continue losing games. Not to mention, he is a running QB. His chances of being healthy all season are slim to none.

I honestly don't know why there would be a little brother mentality when it comes to BYU. Lets be honest, BYU the last few years would have been the same as a middle of the pack MWC team at best akin to Colorado State, Airforce, Nevada. I see no reason to believe that anything is going to change at that institution in the near future. Their recruits continue to go downhill, their fan base is losing interest, they are losing games they should win, and their coach is really nothing to write home about. I know some of you closet BYU fans have a hard time admitting this, but right now our program is in a much better place than BYU's.
I second this. Ancient history is ancient history. Anything that goes back beyond the current players is of questionable relevance. Over the last 5 seasons, we're 3-2 against BYU-Provo, with an aggregate score of 158-143. Reasonably evenly matched, with a slight advantage to us, and the trend in our favor.
These users liked this post from LKGates. Total Likes: 2
taniataylorUSU78


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

Imakeitrain
Posts: 4771
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by Imakeitrain » February 5th, 2019, 1:27 pm

10-3 Ls to LSU, Fresno and MWCCG on the road @ Fresno.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

bazinga22
Posts: 93
Joined: December 7th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by bazinga22 » February 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Weaver and Cleveland is back for BSU Mattison left early BSU has a mid 40's class coming in a lot of talent will be there regardless of the players going to the nfl



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 264
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 5th, 2019, 2:01 pm

bazinga22 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Weaver and Cleveland is back for BSU Mattison left early BSU has a mid 40's class coming in a lot of talent will be there regardless of the players going to the nfl
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:



taniataylor
Posts: 1336
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by taniataylor » February 5th, 2019, 2:10 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:01 pm
bazinga22 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Weaver and Cleveland is (are) back for BSU (insert a . here) Mattison left early (insert a . here) BSU has a mid 40's class coming in(insert a . here) a lot (Capitalize the A) of talent will be there regardless of the players going to the nfl (This is a proper name, NFL)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Your grammar reflects that of a Boise State Alum :puke:

SEE CORRECTIONS ABOVE
Last edited by taniataylor on February 5th, 2019, 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users liked this post from taniataylor:
LarryTheAggie


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
sammyhagar
Posts: 336
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:15 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by sammyhagar » February 5th, 2019, 2:14 pm

bazinga22 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Weaver and Cleveland is back for BSU Mattison left early BSU has a mid 40's class coming in a lot of talent will be there regardless of the players going to the nfl
notice you didn't say "players graduating".....



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4421
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm
I'm hoping that we start pulling students out of the stands for Stony Brook.
Stony Brook will be alot better than last year's Tennessee Tech. They won't be as good as 2015 Southern Utah, but closer to them than they are to 2018 Tennessee Tech. Maybe similar to 2016 Weber who we handled fine, though the motivation with the SUU narrow escape the year before made a difference. They did give South Florida a run two years ago.

Our starters will have to play more than the first half this time. We might put it away late in the third or early in the fourth and be able to give the 2s some reps.



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4028
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by aceofspadeskb » February 5th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Anyone know why we stopped scheduling in-state(plus Idaho State) FCS opponents?



garyismyhomeboy
Posts: 89
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 4:50 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by garyismyhomeboy » February 5th, 2019, 4:03 pm

We have Southern Utah in 2020, no other FCS games announced beyond then. I'd imagine we play at least Idaho State. Hartwell has said he will keep the local tie for FCS as long as it counts towards overall standings. There is a movement to shy away from FCS games in FBS.



ususports
Posts: 927
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by ususports » February 5th, 2019, 7:06 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 3:55 pm
Anyone know why we stopped scheduling in-state(plus Idaho State) FCS opponents?
My understanding is the local schools wanted too much money, so we scheduled others instead.



donlarson8
Posts: 1573
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 6:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by donlarson8 » February 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Mark it down: Our D is going to be GOOD this year. As in Top D in the conference. Our Offense... will take a step back. It’s going to come down to how well the O-Line steps up.

I’m going to take the optimistic view and say 10-2 regular season, Host the MWC championship game against... Hawaii. Yup. Hawaii. We’ll obviously win because they won’t be ready for Logan in December.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from donlarson8:
Turtle



NVAggie
Posts: 14892
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 155 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by NVAggie » February 6th, 2019, 9:20 am

donlarson8 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm
... Yup. Hawaii. We’ll obviously win because they won’t be ready for Logan in December.
I've heard that before. In the old days, they typically looked more comfortable in the cold than our guys .
These users liked this post from NVAggie. Total Likes: 2
donlarson8sneed



slcagg
Posts: 2779
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by slcagg » February 10th, 2019, 12:41 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm
Mark it down: Our D is going to be GOOD this year. As in Top D in the conference. Our Offense... will take a step back. It’s going to come down to how well the O-Line steps up.

I’m going to take the optimistic view and say 10-2 regular season, Host the MWC championship game against... Hawaii. Yup. Hawaii. We’ll obviously win because they won’t be ready for Logan in December.

I agree with your thoughts on the two sides of the ball. Defense if healthy is gonna give people fits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from slcagg:
donlarson8



bazinga22
Posts: 93
Joined: December 7th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by bazinga22 » February 10th, 2019, 8:49 pm

I can see USU, likely going 8-4 or 9-3.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4821
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by Aglicious » February 11th, 2019, 1:02 pm




User avatar
sammyhagar
Posts: 336
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:15 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by sammyhagar » February 11th, 2019, 1:40 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm
I'm hoping that we start pulling students out of the stands for Stony Brook.
Stony Brook will be alot better than last year's Tennessee Tech. They won't be as good as 2015 Southern Utah, but closer to them than they are to 2018 Tennessee Tech. Maybe similar to 2016 Weber who we handled fine, though the motivation with the SUU narrow escape the year before made a difference. They did give South Florida a run two years ago.
dude you crack me up. Did you really just have a dialog / analysis of Stoney Brook … :thanks:



Bybs25
Posts: 383
Joined: September 22nd, 2012, 6:37 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by Bybs25 » February 13th, 2019, 8:52 am

I think we go 11-1 with LSU being our loss. I think we lose by 8 or less to them with a chance to put the game into overtime on our last drive.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk




YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2102
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Early Football record predictions

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 13th, 2019, 9:15 am

I think we will go 8-4, with losses to Boise, LSU, Wake, and either Fresno/SDSU. I am actually leaning towards changing the Wake game to a win, but for now will consider it a loss.

A win in our bowl game, likely against MAC or C-USA competition, will get us to a very respectable 9-4 record.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic