Wells’ 2019 Texas Tech class one of the worst in school history

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Wells’ 2019 Texas Tech class one of the worst in school history

Post by Sl7vk » February 7th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Last edited by Sl7vk on February 8th, 2019, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluegrouse

Re: Wells’ 2019 Texas Tech class one of the worse in school history

Post by bluegrouse » February 7th, 2019, 11:28 pm

I think Wells made a bigger mistake taking that job than TT did in hiring him. 80% of their kids signed in the early signing period. If their recruiting class is terrible, that’s mainly on Kingsbury as it has been the last few years. Kingsbury set Matt up to fail in this recruiting period just as Matt set up Andersen to succeed this time around.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
JSHarvey

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 8th, 2019, 5:14 am

bluegrouse wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 11:28 pm
I think Wells made a bigger mistake taking that job than TT did in hiring him. 80% of their kids signed in the early signing period. If their recruiting class is terrible, that’s mainly on Kingsbury as it has been the last few years. Kingsbury set Matt up to fail in this recruiting period just as Matt set up Andersen to succeed this time around.
Good point. Matt gets a lot of criticism on this board but he really left our program in a good spot.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 8th, 2019, 7:08 am

bluegrouse wrote:
Once Coach Wells and the boys were hired most of Texas Tech's committed recruiting class decommitted and found places to play elsewhere.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 8th, 2019, 7:52 am

I wish Wells the best. He didn’t have much time to make it happen and it won’t define his time there. A year from now better be a different story.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
crazywookie

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 8th, 2019, 9:39 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 7:08 am
bluegrouse wrote:
Once Coach Wells and the boys were hired most of Texas Tech's committed recruiting class decommitted and found places to play elsewhere.
Then how did they sign 80% in the early signing period? He couldn’t have found that many kids in two weeks.

EDIT: Looks like they did have a lot of decommits. Still not sure that’s Wells’ fault. Relativ3ly unknown up and comer as opposed to a guy that landed an NFL head coaching job. Next year will be a better measure of Wells recruiting ability at that level. He left us in pretty good shape this year.
Last edited by bluegrouse on February 8th, 2019, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

breadysmith

Re: Wells’ 2019 Texas Tech class one of the worst in school history

Post by breadysmith » February 8th, 2019, 9:46 am

I wonder if that stat means that nationwide 80% of kids sign on the early signing day :noidea:

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 8th, 2019, 9:50 am

breadysmith wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 9:46 am
I wonder if that stat means that nationwide 80% of kids sign on the early signing day :noidea:
Could be. I can see how it could be read that way. Not very clear. They did have quite a few decommits as I noted in my edit above.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 8th, 2019, 11:05 am

I wish him the best. If he succeeds, it will be mentioned he started his HC career at Utah State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigSilk

Post by TheBigSilk » February 8th, 2019, 1:17 pm

The good thing for MW is that the comments are targeting the past coaching staff, and not the incoming staff. Hope he does well. The more coaches out there with Aggie ties the better.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 8th, 2019, 2:03 pm

I do know a Texas fan, that casually follows Utah State living in Logan, that after Wells was hired, talked trash about how he wasn't going to be able to recruit competing with Herman, Jimbo Fisher, Lincoln Riley and now even Les Miles.
Last edited by GameFAQSAggie on February 8th, 2019, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 2:03 pm
I do know a Texas fan, that casually follows Utah State living in Logan, that after Wells was hired, talked trash about how he wasn't going to be able to recruit competing with Herman, Jimbo Fisher, Bob Stoops and now even Les Miles.
Your friend speaks the truth.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 8th, 2019, 6:16 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
I do know a Texas fan, that casually follows Utah State living in Logan, that after Wells was hired, talked trash about how he wasn't going to be able to recruit competing with Herman, Jimbo Fisher, Bob Stoops and now even Les Miles.
Normally I would agree that coaches are usually given some leeway their first season, but given how TT fans reacted to the hire and how recruiting turned out, Wells may end up having a shorter leash with fans/boosters than I originally thought. My 3 year shelf life prediction might be too much.

Full

Post by Full » February 8th, 2019, 6:24 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Normally I would agree that coaches are usually given some leeway their first season, but given how TT fans reacted to the hire and how recruiting turned out, Wells may end up having a shorter leash with fans/boosters than I originally thought. My 3 year shelf life prediction might be too much.
With a six year contract he has at least three. He also has a tougher job to get wins against the stronger programs.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » February 8th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Full wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 6:24 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
With a six year contract he has at least three. He also has a tougher job to get wins against the stronger programs.
While true, you can't fault someone who takes a challenge and believes they will conquer that challenge. I have (in the past) been very skeptical of Wells, but I wish him the best of luck on being successful. He is an Aggie. He also left us in a good spot. Plus we got GA back!

I believe we should all cheer hard for Wells to have success. He is an Aggie brother. We may find him back at Utah State in some capacity and Utah State deserves successful people.
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie19slcaggJSHarvey

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » February 8th, 2019, 9:04 pm

He did take a team with recruiting classes that were ranked much worse than his current class to a top 25 finish.

Full

Post by Full » February 9th, 2019, 7:32 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
Full wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 6:24 pm
While true, you can't fault someone who takes a challenge and believes they will conquer that challenge. I have (in the past) been very skeptical of Wells, but I wish him the best of luck on being successful. He is an Aggie. He also left us in a good spot. Plus we got GA back!

I believe we should all cheer hard for Wells to have success. He is an Aggie brother. We may find him back at Utah State in some capacity and Utah State deserves successful people.
I hope Wells does well. Four years at Tech will likely mean he is in the top half of Football coaches for longevity. I absolutely don’t fault him for leaving USU. He gets to be closer to his widowed mom and go back to where he grew up. When USU didn’t extend him going into last season the message was sent that he better win. When he won, he didn’t do USU any favors by leaving. To be fair, he didn’t owe USU any favors. In the end, he left the program in great shape. I wish him well but think Leach provided the ceiling for Texas Tech that will be hard for MW to match. Of course, I thought he was most likely going to be trying to get a job as an OC this time last year.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 9th, 2019, 8:24 pm

I’ll say that we shouldn’t judge Wells on this years class alone. He wasn’t able to flip many of our recruits (was it for a lack of trying? he did do a home visit in black).

But he wasn’t able to build all the new relationships quickly. He didn’t seem to make a big push to recruit Utah guys like Gary did at Wisconsin. But maybe 22 can correct me.

I’ll judge him next year.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 9th, 2019, 11:55 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 6:16 pm
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Your hatred for Wells is weird. He did great things at USU and is an Aggie. If you want to rip a USU coach, try Mick Dennehy , Brent Guy or the numerous coaches for 3 decades that couldn't come close to the success Wells had. He was OC for an 11 win season and HC for two 10 win seasons here.

Texas Tech hasn't had a .500 Big 12 season since 2009. They gave their last coach 6 seasons despite never having success. I don't know if Wells will succeed at TT. It is a tough place to win and many disadvantages compared to Texas and Oklahoma and other Big 12 schools. He has a 6 year contract and will not get fired if he doesn't win right away. He will get time. Wish him the best and hope he does well.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 10th, 2019, 7:40 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 11:55 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Your hatred for Wells is weird. He did great things at USU and is an Aggie. If you want to rip a USU coach, try Mick Dennehy , Brent Guy or the numerous coaches for 3 decades that couldn't come close to the success Wells had. He was OC for an 11 win season and HC for two 10 win seasons here.

Texas Tech hasn't had a .500 Big 12 season since 2009. They gave their last coach 6 seasons despite never having success. I don't know if Wells will succeed at TT. It is a tough place to win and many disadvantages compared to Texas and Oklahoma and other Big 12 schools. He has a 6 year contract and will not get fired if he doesn't win right away. He will get time. Wish him the best and hope he does well.
The 6 years with Kingsbury was because he was a popular choice to begin with and he lived off of his QB coaching legacy. But it’s because they’ve had no success for 10 years that I see the boosters and fan base growing even more restless if things don’t get better in 2-3 years. I guess we’ll just have to see but my guess is their AD and Matt are gone before the 2022 season.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 10th, 2019, 10:51 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

I don't think anyone has a hatred for Coach Wells. I sure don't. There are a few assistants I won't miss but Coach Wells did a really good job while he was here. I think when those of us on the board talk about Coach Wells shelf life at Texas Tech, we try to take a realistic approach when looking at how successful he might be. Of course none of us can tell the future and none of us were a part of the hiring process at his new school. In my opinion Coach Wells and the boys have a really tough road ahead of them. Not long after his hiring I was posting about hurdles that he would have to overcome in the recruiting world. I thought he might be playing 7th or 8th fiddle in his own state and it now seems like Texas Tech might be even further behind than that. Lots of barriers to break down being the new kids on the block at Texas Tech.
Last edited by aggies22 on February 17th, 2019, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
BioAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 10th, 2019, 10:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 7:40 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

The 6 years with Kingsbury was because he was a popular choice to begin with and he lived off of his QB coaching legacy. But it’s because they’ve had no success for 10 years that I see the boosters and fan base growing even more restless if things don’t get better in 2-3 years. I guess we’ll just have to see but my guess is their AD and Matt are gone before the 2022 season.
So they haven't had success in a decade, but they are going to run a coach out of town for not immediately turning things around? Not likely. They have invested a lot in him and unless he completely bombs like Gary did at Oregon State he will get time to turn things around.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 10th, 2019, 10:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 10:51 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

I don't think anyone has a hatred for Coach Wells. I sure don't. There are a few assistants I won't miss but Coach Wells did a really good job while he was here. I think when those of us on the board talk about Coach Wells shelf life at Texas Tech, we try to take a realistic approach when looking at how successful he might be. Of course none of us can tell the future and none of us were a part of the hiring process at his new school. In my opinion Coach Wells and the boys have a really tough road ahead of them. Not long after his hiring I was posting about hurdles that he would have to overcome in the recruiting world. I thought we might be playing 7th or 8th fiddle in his own state and it now seems like Texas Tech might be even further behind than that. Lots of barriers to break down being the new kids on the block at Texas Tech.
Maybe hatred is too strong, but Hipster has let the board know his disdain for Wells. Yes TT is a very hard place to have success. Tubberville couldn't do it and he went undefeated in the SEC. Kingsbury just got hired by the Arizona Cardinals yet couldn't find success at Texas Tech in 6 years even while having the NFL MVP. It takes a special type of formula to win there. Mike Leach had that formula. We will see if Wells with Yost who coached under Leach can also find it. It certainly won't be an easy ride, but will be one helluva an accomplishment if they can get TT to become a consistent winner.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Of course none of us can tell the future
Speak for yourself.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
NVAggie

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 11th, 2019, 1:49 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Speak for yourself.
:notworthy: :notworthy:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 11th, 2019, 2:10 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Speak for yourself.
I knew he was going to say that.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22newtonianblue

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » February 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I know one thing for sure, Texas Tech isn't going to tolerate many 3 win seasons. I think they give him "one" growing pains season, but if he pulls another, I don't think he will make it to year 4.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 11th, 2019, 5:46 pm

RigAggie wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm
I know one thing for sure, Texas Tech isn't going to tolerate many 3 win seasons. I think they give him "one" growing pains season, but if he pulls another, I don't think he will make it to year 4.
Yeah he hasn't had any 3 win seasons. His first season is 2019. Texas Tech has tolerated a decade of bad football. The idea that they are going to have a super short leach for Wells unless he massively underachieves is ridiculous.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » February 12th, 2019, 11:39 am

I wish him well, he's an Aggie.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
LKGates

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » February 12th, 2019, 10:08 pm

TT has to compete with OU,Okla st Texas TCU Houston Baylor and alot of other teams for recruits in the state.

AggieSquared
Has thanked: 0

Post by AggieSquared » February 12th, 2019, 11:04 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
I do know a Texas fan, that casually follows Utah State living in Logan, that after Wells was hired, talked trash about how he wasn't going to be able to recruit competing with Herman, Jimbo Fisher, Lincoln Riley and now even Les Miles.
I'm a proud fightin' Texas Aggie as well as a USU Aggie. (I did my master's at A&M). Texas Tech is forever relegated to the back seat of football in the state of Texas. Wells, or any other coach for that matter, will always face an uphill battle trying to recruit against the steers (aka longhorns, or that school in Austin) and A&M. There is simply too much tradition, money and name brand recognition tied up in those two programs for any talented Texas high school athlete to want to move to Lubbock, Texas (not exactly a garden spot). I wish Wells the best, but I think he deceived himself if he thought he stood a chance in carving out a piece of Tech fans' hearts. He would have been better served (minus the pay raise) staying in Logan and continuing to invest in a legacy program where he was respected and actually stood a chance of competing. Best of luck to him and his family and I hope the Raiders don't run him out of town on a rail. Aggies all the way and Gig 'em!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 12th, 2019, 11:10 pm

February 10th, 2019, 10:16 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

So they haven't had success in a decade, but they are going to run a coach out of town for not immediately turning things around? Not likely. They have invested a lot in him and unless he completely bombs like Gary did at Oregon State he will get time to turn things around.
I'll submit for evidence the following: Guy, Dennehy, and Arslenian.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 12th, 2019, 11:20 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 11:10 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Arslanian only got two years, but Dennehy and Guy were both treated fairly and given plenty of time. Dennehy got 5 years despite his teams getting worse every year. Brent Guy got 4 years despite going 9-38 and having some of our worst losses in school history. Wells will get at least 4-5 years unless he is complete disaster like Gary at Oregon State.

It is an uphill climb for sure. If I were him I would have waited for a better opportunity, but he has a good staff. I wouldn't count him out yet.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 13th, 2019, 6:08 am

February 12th, 2019, 11:20 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 11:10 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Arslanian only got two years, but Dennehy and Guy were both treated fairly and given plenty of time. Dennehy got 5 years despite his teams getting worse every year. Brent Guy got 4 years despite going 9-38 and having some of our worst losses in school history. Wells will get at least 4-5 years unless he is complete disaster like Gary at Oregon State.

It is an uphill climb for sure. If I were him I would have waited for a better opportunity, but he has a good staff. I wouldn't count him out yet.
The big difference between Utah State and Texas Tech is we couldn't afford buyouts for our guys. If the big money boosters at Texas Tech are unhappy with what transpires on the field, they'll find the money to get a new coaching staff.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » February 13th, 2019, 8:00 am

I wish him well, but I looked at Texas tech's 2019 schedule and I don't see how his team could win more than four games max (three is more likely). For future years I would imagine winning four or five is the ceiling unless he can massively upgrade the players/program. Hopefully he is saving the vast majority of his salary. If he can come out of the job with several millions in mutual funds I think he will have done well.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Locked Previous topicNext topic