Blast from the past....Vegas bowl.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Smokin Joe

Blast from the past....Vegas bowl.

Post by Smokin Joe » February 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm

A lot of very good players on that team....Calvillo, Tilski, Pratt Lyons, Aubrey Thompson, Grier, Gill, Younger, Moala, Toomer, Jed DeVries, McMahon, Dye....to name just a few.

ViAggie

Re: Blast from the past....Vegas bowl.

Post by ViAggie » February 25th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm
A lot of very good players on that team....Calvillo, Tilski, Pratt Lyons, Aubrey Thompson, Grier, Gill, Younger, Moala, Toomer, Jed DeVries, McMahon, Dye....to name just a few.

I was there! :) Good times!

Couple of observations watching it now:

1. Players look like they are running at half speed.
2. OH MAN how I do miss those old tyme' shoulder pads! :joking:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 25th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I was there with my 6 month old!! great time!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 25th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Other than a Raider v 49er game on an August night in SF, that Vegas Bowl game was the coldest I've ever been. It was inescapable, metal seats and the concessions were open air. Freezing cold.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
USU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 25th, 2019, 7:04 pm

My freshman college roommate and I flew down together with our wives and stayed at the same Strip hotel, stripped the beds of blankets, and sneaked them into the rental car and the stadium.

Such a good time and such a cold night on those aluminum bleachers.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 25th, 2019, 8:20 pm

We had some big time announcers for that game.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 26th, 2019, 12:49 pm

We had a huge Aggie turnout for that game. Around 10,000 if I remember correctly. I remember pulling onto an overpass north of Vegas to watch the caravan of fans come streaming into the city. Cody McMahon’s Dog-with-worms butt slide touchdown celebration was classic. Great time. Great win.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 26th, 2019, 6:29 pm

The next day we walked down to the hotel where the teams stayed and the only evidence of the game was a "Welcome Utah State" vinyl sign above the entrance to one of the large meeting rooms.

I found a ladder and took it. Proudly displayed it outside my house on special occasions. Almost got kicked out of a USU game in Fresno when we held it up as the Aggies came out on the field.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 26th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:

......and our very own Jimmy Ray. He was an excellent receiver, but had some injury problems. Great hands though, and not only a member of this board......but a good friend to me as well.

That was fun to see. Thanks for posting it. One of my fond memories of the Bowl experience is going down to Subway in Lehi with Gaylen Douglas and handing out sandwiches to the team at their first rest stop headed to LV.

Then after the game in the hotel, I lost a bucks worth of quarters on the quarter slots, when Anthony Calvillo came by. I shook his hand and congratulated him on the win and being the MVP. I handed him a quarter and asked him to kiss it for luck, since he had it going for him. He did. I put the quarter in and hit a $25.00 jackpot. Anthony got a big kick out of that.
Fun memories.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 26th, 2019, 7:34 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Smokin Joe wrote:

......and our very own Jimmy Ray. He was an excellent receiver, but had some injury problems. Great hands though, and not only a member of this board......but a good friend to me as well.

That was fun to see. Thanks for posting it. One of my fond memories of the Bowl experience is going down to Subway in Lehi with Gaylen Douglas and handing out sandwiches to the team at their first rest stop headed to LV.

Then after the game in the hotel, I lost a bucks worth of quarters on the quarter slots, when Anthony Calvillo came by. I shook his hand and congratulated him on the win and being the MVP. I handed him a quarter and asked him to kiss it for luck, since he had it going for him. He did. I put the quarter in and hit a $25.00 jackpot. Anthony got a big kick out of that.
Fun memories.
I remember Jimmy Ray; if I recall correctly, Shelton started him out as a tailback. Weatherbie and Zorn moved him to a receiver position to take advantage of his speed.

Love the Calvillo slots story!

Donman

Post by Donman » February 26th, 2019, 8:51 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:

Fun memories.
I remember Jimmy Ray; if I recall correctly, Shelton started him out as a tailback. Weatherbie and Zorn moved him to a receiver position to take advantage of his speed.

He was actually a fullback under Shelton. The pride of Blanding Utah.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 26th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Donman wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 8:51 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:

Fun memories.

He was actually a fullback under Shelton. The pride of Blanding Utah.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the correction! Obviously, Zorn and Weatherbie knew better how to utilize his skills than did ground Chuck.

Locked Previous topicNext topic