USU pro day?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 483
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times

USU pro day?

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 13th, 2019, 2:20 pm

I am starting to see reports come in about NFL pro days at other universities.

What do we know about USU's pro day? "WHEN" and "WHO" are the two big questions I would pose to anyone in the know?

If DT and DR, especially, are going to leave us, I really want to see them "make it" and do well in the league. Excited to see what they (and others) can do in front of the scouts on our home turf. Do we have anyone else with a realistic chance of getting drafted or landing a UFA or mini-camp deal?

I can't remember for sure, but I assume these are closed to the public?

Thanks in advance for any information...

** apologies if I missed it on here somewhere else; but I only found passing references to this year's event and no specifics??



taniataylor
Posts: 1313
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by taniataylor » March 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I think Dax participated in the NFL combine already so I do't think he will be participating in Pro Day. Dax has been in San Diego, where his agent is, training


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 483
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 13th, 2019, 2:41 pm

taniataylor wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm
I think Dax participated in the NFL combine already so I do't think he will be participating in Pro Day. Dax has been in San Diego, where his agent is, training
Thanks, Tania.
Is it always either the pro-day OR the combine, or is that just Dax's approach?
It seems in the past that we've had kids at the combine that also worked out on our pro-day? Or am I mis-remembering?
Maybe a 'mulligan' for those that want it? I don't know... :noidea:



NVAggie
Posts: 14781
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I would think that any serious candidate for the NFL would want to perform in front of NFL scouts as many times as possible. I would bet that Dax shows up for the USU Pro Day.



taniataylor
Posts: 1313
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by taniataylor » March 13th, 2019, 2:59 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:41 pm
taniataylor wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm
I think Dax participated in the NFL combine already so I do't think he will be participating in Pro Day. Dax has been in San Diego, where his agent is, training
Thanks, Tania.
Is it always either the pro-day OR the combine, or is that just Dax's approach?
It seems in the past that we've had kids at the combine that also worked out on our pro-day? Or am I mis-remembering?
Maybe a 'mulligan' for those that want it? I don't know... :noidea:
I'm not 100% certain that he isn't. I asked Jordan if he was gonna see him when he comes up and he said he didn't think he was. But if it's best for him to participate in Pro Day also, then I imagine his agent will make sure he is there


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5878
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 345 times
Been liked: 224 times
Contact:

Re: USU pro day?

Post by aggies22 » March 13th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Pro Day is March 27th.



slcagg
Posts: 2708
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by slcagg » March 13th, 2019, 3:02 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:55 pm
I would think that any serious candidate for the NFL would want to perform in front of NFL scouts as many times as possible. I would bet that Dax shows up for the USU Pro Day.
Unless his numbers from the combine were very good, then there is no need to go out and risk posting numbers not as good. Now maybe he could come interview still in that case.



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2077
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 13th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Pro Day is usually seen as an opportunity to perform in a controlled environment, so some guys will just do a few things at the Combine, if invited, and then put on a show with drills that accentuate their best aspects in a comfy environment for Pro Day.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AGGIEFIGHT
Posts: 507
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:46 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: USU pro day?

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » March 13th, 2019, 8:50 pm

It would help Dax in the draft if he turn in a better 40 time. A sub 4.7 seconds would help him
These users liked this post from AGGIEFIGHT:
aggies22



Aggiefever
Posts: 24
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 1:15 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by Aggiefever » March 13th, 2019, 9:00 pm

I thought that I read somewhere that he did not do very good on the bench press because he was recovering from wrist surgery. If he has continued with his rehab, there should be a pretty big improvement with his reps.
These users liked this post from Aggiefever:
aggies22



NVAggie
Posts: 14781
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by NVAggie » March 14th, 2019, 7:41 am

Image



Mediocre at Best
Posts: 730
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 14th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Had a chance to watch the combine with some NFL scouts and position coaches. Andy Isabella the UMass receiver turned some heads with his
40 time. Dax unfortunately was a disappointment across the board 40 yard, vertical jump, and bench press. They were trying to reconcile his combine performance with USU game film where he has good ability to gain separation. For us Aggies the best news at the combine was everyone was talking about DT who was not invited...and his vertical jump...they see him as decent speed not exceptional but translate his vertical jump into explosive something they are excited about. Most were shocked he wasn’t invited to the combine and he was getting more far more talk than DR. Pro Day for DR is an interesting question. It could actually hurt him even more if he can’t turn in the numbers. If I were him I would probably not participate as scouts still salivate and have not lost sight of his athleticism on film. One person I talked to indicated the main reason DT did not get an invite is that he only played one season and sticking around for another year at USU would have helped.

Anyway I hope both succeed as there is room for the type of players they are. They gave us a lot to cheer for and excitement we haven’t seen in a few years.
These users liked this post from Mediocre at Best. Total Likes: 3
aggies22ShowMeAggieAggie_in_Idaho



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3244
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by ratofallaggies » March 14th, 2019, 12:49 pm

He'll be at pro day. He may not participate in all the activities, but it would be extremely rare for someone to skip their pro day just because they were at the combine. And, yes it is the 27th
These users liked this post from ratofallaggies:
aggies22



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5878
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 345 times
Been liked: 224 times
Contact:

Re: USU pro day?

Post by aggies22 » March 14th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:45 pm
Had a chance to watch the combine with some NFL scouts and position coaches. Andy Isabella the UMass receiver turned some heads with his
40 time. Dax unfortunately was a disappointment across the board 40 yard, vertical jump, and bench press. They were trying to reconcile his combine performance with USU game film where he has good ability to gain separation. For us Aggies the best news at the combine was everyone was talking about DT who was not invited...and his vertical jump...they see him as decent speed not exceptional but translate his vertical jump into explosive something they are excited about. Most were shocked he wasn’t invited to the combine and he was getting more far more talk than DR. Pro Day for DR is an interesting question. It could actually hurt him even more if he can’t turn in the numbers. If I were him I would probably not participate as scouts still salivate and have not lost sight of his athleticism on film. One person I talked to indicated the main reason DT did not get an invite is that he only played one season and sticking around for another year at USU would have helped.

Anyway I hope both succeed as there is room for the type of players they are. They gave us a lot to cheer for and excitement we haven’t seen in a few years.
Getting to hangout at the combine time listen, learn and pick the brain of NFL guys does not sound like a mediocre at best experience. Awesome information!



Mediocre at Best
Posts: 730
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 14th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Rato:

Good information. I for one will be pulling for him. I am not one to weigh the combine as the absolute indicator. He is such a great on the field talent with quick feet, great hands, and high football IQ. He got great marks on combine drills. It is indeed rare to not do Pro Day after a combine but if he turns in a 4.7 plus 40 it probably means going from being a mid to late round draft pick to a camp invite. He sure looks faster and stronger than the combine numbers. Any idea what his 40 time was as a player at USU?



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3244
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by ratofallaggies » March 14th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Rato:

Good information. I for one will be pulling for him. I am not one to weigh the combine as the absolute indicator. He is such a great on the field talent with quick feet, great hands, and high football IQ. He got great marks on combine drills. It is indeed rare to not do Pro Day after a combine but if he turns in a 4.7 plus 40 it probably means going from being a mid to late round draft pick to a camp invite. He sure looks faster and stronger than the combine numbers. Any idea what his 40 time was as a player at USU?
I don't think they test 40's much during their time at USU. A lot of programs will have a Jr combine day for guys that will be prospects the following year but I don't think USU is big on it or hasn't been in the past. I agree though, some guys are just gamers and perform better when the adrenaline is pumping. Look at Tyrann Mathieu for example, guy had a HORRIBLE combine but has been solid in the NFL.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 4704
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: USU pro day?

Post by Imakeitrain » March 14th, 2019, 10:03 pm

A lot of guys are a lot quicker than their 40 time.

I think the combine is the most overrated event. It’s worthwhile but I don’t give it the stock others do. It’s when you put on pads and hit someone when things count.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

AGGIEFIGHT
Posts: 507
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:46 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: USU pro day?

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » March 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Unless a player is a sure 1st rounder they try to improve their draft stock leading up to pro day. I would assume that both Dax and Darwin have hired private trainers where they are doing intensive workouts to improve there measurables. Athletes can improve their speed and agility just by learning the proper methods. If I remember right Jalen Davis hired one of these trainers
and improved his 40 time by nearly second last year.



Forever-an-aggie
Posts: 1
Joined: March 4th, 2019, 10:14 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: USU pro day?

Post by Forever-an-aggie » March 17th, 2019, 3:01 am

Is pro day open to watch, or is it closed/invite only?



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic