Football camp with Washington

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GUS

Football camp with Washington

Post by GUS » April 2nd, 2019, 1:38 pm

Just saw a twitter for a USU football camp featuring Washington. How does that work?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Football camp with Washington

Post by aggies22 » April 2nd, 2019, 2:01 pm

Joint satellite camp.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » April 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm

Maybe their b-ball team can lead some defensive drills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm

I just hope Washington isn't the only team to show up that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 2nd, 2019, 6:41 pm

This is a big time camp. Hopefully it is in Washington. With our goal of recruiting the northwest it is great to be able to partner with Washington. While we likely won’t make it so we win a head to head vs Washington it will allow us to continue to make connections with coaches and players that we may have not been able to previously.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 2nd, 2019, 9:01 pm

This camp is being held here in Utah.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 2nd, 2019, 9:03 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 6:41 pm
This is a big time camp. Hopefully it is in Washington. With our goal of recruiting the northwest it is great to be able to partner with Washington. While we likely won’t make it so we win a head to head vs Washington it will allow us to continue to make connections with coaches and players that we may have not been able to previously.
While it is always good to expand to your recruiting horizons. Stacy Collins is a very, very well known and well liked coach in the Pacific Northwest.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 2nd, 2019, 10:02 pm

So is how this works is that Washington gets all the good players and we get the leftovers? How is this good for us?

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 3rd, 2019, 6:28 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 10:02 pm
So is how this works is that Washington gets all the good players and we get the leftovers? How is this good for us?
If the coaches think it's a good idea, I trust their judgment. But: We only sign P5 leftovers. UW has scholarship limits like everyone else; we'll get up-close access to the campers who aren't quite good enough to get one of their 25.

Nobody here knows anything.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2019, 8:16 am

OKAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 6:28 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
If the coaches think it's a good idea, I trust their judgment. But: We only sign P5 leftovers. UW has scholarship limits like everyone else; we'll get up-close access to the campers who aren't quite good enough to get one of their 25.
That’s true I guess.

I think I’d like the concept more if it were in Washington or some neutral location (i.e. California) where we’d get quality exposure to kids we otherwise wouldn’t. I can see how having it in Utah is beneficial to Washington as it’ll give them a foothold in Utah and give them quality exposure to kids they may otherwise not have gotten. For us, the kids that are likely to come are kids that’d come to our camp anyway.

TL;DR — having it in Utah seems to just invite a very large fox into our proverbial henhouse, with no real benefit that I can see for us.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 3rd, 2019, 8:23 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
I think it's good for us because it gives us an opportunity to hold one mini-camp more than what we would normally have with just the usual three or four day high school camp.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 3rd, 2019, 8:25 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 8:16 am
OKAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
That’s true I guess.

I think I’d like the concept more if it were in Washington or some neutral location (i.e. California) where we’d get quality exposure to kids we otherwise wouldn’t. I can see how having it in Utah is beneficial to Washington as it’ll give them a foothold in Utah and give them quality exposure to kids they may otherwise not have gotten. For us, the kids that are likely to come are kids that’d come to our camp anyway.

TL;DR — having it in Utah seems to just invite a very large fox into our proverbial henhouse, with no real benefit that I can see for us.
Good points, but maybe it also works the other way. Kids come to camps from all over, not just the state where they're held. Maybe this attracts kids who might be close to UW caliber, but when they end up not getting a P5 offer for one of UW's 25 scholarships, they will have seen our facilities, met our coaches, walked around our campus...and we have a leg up on getting them in.

And Pac-12 schools don't seem to have any problem identifying Utah talent, with or without this camp.

Interesting concept, to say the least.

Nobody here knows anything.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 3rd, 2019, 8:47 am

Coach Andersen was doing this type of extra camp the last time he was here as well. The old staff did not hold these. Like I said it's an extra opportunity to get kids here on campus. This last signing period we did land a kid that shot down an SEC offer and another that shot down two PAC-12 offers. Sometimes all it takes is one recruit to change other recruits perception of the program. We got two and they are big time leaders here in the state of Utah.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 3rd, 2019, 9:18 am

Remember back in the... was it Mick Dennehy years? When they used to have a spring practice even in Utah County? I think the NCAA came along and said it was a recruiting violation, but other schools were doing it too, so they never really gave anyone a bad time, just said they couldn't do it anymore.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2019, 9:32 am

OKAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 8:25 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 8:16 am
OKAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
That’s true I guess.

Good points, but maybe it also works the other way. Kids come to camps from all over, not just the state where they're held. Maybe this attracts kids who might be close to UW caliber, but when they end up not getting a P5 offer for one of UW's 25 scholarships, they will have seen our facilities, met our coaches, walked around our campus...and we have a leg up on getting them in.

And Pac-12 schools don't seem to have any problem identifying Utah talent, with or without this camp.

Interesting concept, to say the least.
I could see that too, though my suspicion is this sort of thing will mostly attract Utah kids looking to show their stuff to a P5 school. If it does in fact bring out of state kids to our campus that otherwise may not have come, that’s great. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see and evaluate the data.

I suspect there’s a reason Washington wanted it in Utah, but the reality is that we don’t often (if ever) competitively recruit against Washington head-to-head, so it probably doesn’t have much potential to hurt us.

On reflection, I see some potential upside for us without much downside risk. Though I still suspect this will be a better deal for UW.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on April 3rd, 2019, 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Cheecho6

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » April 3rd, 2019, 9:56 am

I think it's a win-win for both schools. Washington gets a footprint in Utah and we get more exposure as well. Gary has always seen Cache Valley as a special place and the more opportunities to get kids on campus the better chance he feels he can land the recruit. Just imagine high school coaches looking at camps to go to this summer and you see Rose Bowl representative Washington and #22 Utah State doing a camp together. You would jump at that opportunity.

Locked Previous topicNext topic