UDFA’s

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
TheAKAggie
Posts: 5207
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 51 times
Contact:

UDFA’s

Post by TheAKAggie » April 27th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Tarver to Bears
Wade to Browns


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from TheAKAggie:
aggies22


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
TheAKAggie
Posts: 5207
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 51 times
Contact:

Re: UDFA’s

Post by TheAKAggie » April 27th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Roquemore to Browns.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from TheAKAggie:
aggies22


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
Dwigt
Posts: 1091
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:23 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Dwigt » April 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Raymond to the Bears
These users liked this post from Dwigt:
aggies22


"The threshold of insult is in direct relation to intelligence and security." John Steinbeck

User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5539
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by USU78 » April 27th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Dwigt wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm
Raymond to the Bears
Da 🐻 🐻.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4436
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 29 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 27th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Also of interest, the CSU guy that stepped out is going to the Dolphins.



taniataylor
Posts: 1354
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by taniataylor » April 27th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Ferguson to the Chiefs
These users liked this post from taniataylor:
aggies22


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Sl7vk
Posts: 170
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Sl7vk » April 28th, 2019, 7:34 am

Hard for me to believe Preston Williams went undrafted.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4436
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 29 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 28th, 2019, 7:43 am

Sl7vk wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 7:34 am
Hard for me to believe Preston Williams went undrafted.
He did have character issues against him.



astroman31
Posts: 265
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by astroman31 » April 28th, 2019, 8:06 am

With the demise of Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill, the NFL as a whole are shying away from athletes with a history of domestic violence, at least on the outside.

Williams should have been taken by the third round, but which team is willing to answer to his past?

No team has been snake bit more on this than Kansas City. They gambled the house on trading for Seattle's Frank Clark, another athlete with a domestic violence record, giving him a huge contract. The NEXT DAY, the Tyreek Hill audio is released.

The Chiefs were in the market for a receiver like CSU's Williams, but there is ZERO chance the Chiefs - or any other team - were going to spend draft capital on another athlete with an embarrassing past like Tyreek Hill.

Maybe Wiliams turns out to be no Kareem Hunt, but the timing is incredibly bad trying to convince teams he is a reformed man.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk




Sl7vk
Posts: 170
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Sl7vk » April 28th, 2019, 8:33 am

I was unaware of the baggage. Makes sense.
Just remember him torching us this year.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4436
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 29 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 28th, 2019, 8:51 am

Sl7vk wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 8:33 am
I was unaware of the baggage. Makes sense.
Just remember him torching us this year.
And maybe a step he took when he torched us at the end was a backbreaker for him!



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2220
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by OKAggie » April 28th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Saw this tweet that Roman Andrus signed with KC. Did he sign a Free Agent contract, or was it just an invitation to the rookie minicamp? Can't find anything anywhere else.

Anybody but me surprised that Quin Ficklin isn't getting a look anywhere?
These users liked this post from OKAggie:
aggies22


Nobody here knows anything.

taniataylor
Posts: 1354
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by taniataylor » April 29th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Aaren Vaughns just got an invite to the Colts camp
These users liked this post from taniataylor:
aggies22


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 493
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by ShowMeAggie » May 1st, 2019, 11:07 am

OKAggie wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 9:09 pm
Anybody but me surprised that Quin Ficklin isn't getting a look anywhere?
I had the same thought.
Looks like maybe they were just taking their time on this one...Ficklin to the Buccaneers!
These users liked this post from ShowMeAggie. Total Likes: 3
dyedblueAggie_in_Idahoaggies22



taniataylor
Posts: 1354
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by taniataylor » May 1st, 2019, 11:11 am

Do you guys know we literally have 16 guys going to the NFL? That is awesome!
These users liked this post from taniataylor:
Aggie_in_Idaho


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4504
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 1st, 2019, 11:43 am

taniataylor wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:11 am
Do you guys know we literally have 16 guys going to the NFL? That is awesome!
16? Where are you getting that number? I see 9.

Thompson
Tarver
Raymond
Wade
Roquemore
Ferguson
Andrus
Vaughns
Ficklin



taniataylor
Posts: 1354
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by taniataylor » May 1st, 2019, 12:02 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:43 am
taniataylor wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:11 am
Do you guys know we literally have 16 guys going to the NFL? That is awesome!
16? Where are you getting that number? I see 9.

Thompson
Tarver
Raymond
Wade
Roquemore
Ferguson
Andrus
Vaughns
Ficklin
CFB says we had 16


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4504
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 1st, 2019, 12:09 pm

taniataylor wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 12:02 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:43 am
taniataylor wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:11 am
Do you guys know we literally have 16 guys going to the NFL? That is awesome!
16? Where are you getting that number? I see 9.

Thompson
Tarver
Raymond
Wade
Roquemore
Ferguson
Andrus
Vaughns
Ficklin
CFB says we had 16
I think the number you saw was total USU Players in the NFL right now.



taniataylor
Posts: 1354
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by taniataylor » May 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 12:09 pm
taniataylor wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 12:02 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:43 am
taniataylor wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:11 am
Do you guys know we literally have 16 guys going to the NFL? That is awesome!
16? Where are you getting that number? I see 9.

Thompson
Tarver
Raymond
Wade
Roquemore
Ferguson
Andrus
Vaughns
Ficklin
CFB says we had 16
I think the number you saw was total USU Players in the NFL right now.

Possibly, sorry about that guys


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

taniataylor
Posts: 1354
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by taniataylor » May 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm

But, here is something interesting



Maybe Dax should have waited 1 more season, his hand injury threw a monkey wrench in his draft day


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2220
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by OKAggie » May 1st, 2019, 12:41 pm

taniataylor wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm
But, here is something interesting



Maybe Dax should have waited 1 more season, his hand injury threw a monkey wrench in his draft day
I won't take the time to follow up on my speculation here, but I'm guessing most of these guys will sign UDFA contracts if they haven't already, and most of those will end up on a NFL practice squad. And while I hate to say it -- given that I love college football and can take or leave the NFL, and since I would love to have seen Dax in an Aggie uniform for another year -- they'll be better ready for an NFL career with a year on a practice squad practicing against NFL players and getting coached by NFL coaches than they would have been with another year in college.


Nobody here knows anything.

Mediocre at Best
Posts: 738
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Mediocre at Best » May 1st, 2019, 1:16 pm

Tania:

So correct. Dax had a lot of interest and the sense is he can be a serviceable TE in the NFL if he can improve his strength and blocking. Sweet hands and athletic. I share your belief that another year at USU would not serve him well and do little to improve his chances. Strength training and blocking technique can be coached and best done on the developmental squad not at USU. If he is hungry enough and can improve in these areas he will make some noise. Personally I have had frustration with how the TE as well as the receivers have been coached over the past couple of years. Jordan is an NFL level prospect and I am hoping that the change in coaching staff will use him the way he is best used and has a big 2019 season.



hickaggie
Posts: 2737
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: UDFA’s

Post by hickaggie » May 1st, 2019, 5:10 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 1:16 pm
Tania:

So correct. Dax had a lot of interest and the sense is he can be a serviceable TE in the NFL if he can improve his strength and blocking. Sweet hands and athletic. I share your belief that another year at USU would not serve him well and do little to improve his chances. Strength training and blocking technique can be coached and best done on the developmental squad not at USU. If he is hungry enough and can improve in these areas he will make some noise. Personally I have had frustration with how the TE as well as the receivers have been coached over the past couple of years. Jordan is an NFL level prospect and I am hoping that the change in coaching staff will use him the way he is best used and has a big 2019 season.
I would venture that what happened to Raymond was that he got a lot of solid information that he was a first day pick before the combine because teams viewed him as a mismatch at receiver and someone they could do a lot with moving him around while they worked on his strength and blocking. Then when his speed and agility numbers came in at average in the combine and pro day, combined with the really poor strength numbers (that probably were more influenced by his hand injury than anything else), teams got scared off of drafting him early and things just kind of snowballed and worked out in a manner where teams just didn't pull the trigger late.

I think he's one of those guys that is a far tougher cover on the field than his combine numbers can reflect and that he'll make a regular squad and be a good player. He is also a smart player and blocker and with NFL training and technique work I don't think blocking will be that much of a hindrance to his career. We'll see I guess.

BTW-the 225 lb bench press has got to be the most idiotic strength test for a football player. They should be evaluating max power clean and squat numbers. A burnout bench number seems pretty worthless as a comparison tool for max total body explosiveness and max lower body strength which is what almost all football contact involves.



Mediocre at Best
Posts: 738
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Mediocre at Best » May 1st, 2019, 7:53 pm

Hickaggie:

Everything in your post resonates from reasons for Dax's bench press number and most of all using the 225 lb. burn out reps as a marker. Never understood that! Still don't. Your right Dax has that uncanny ability to slip coverage and play in space a more valued asset it seems to me than the bench press. Appreciate your thoughtful analysis.



aggiesdotcom
Posts: 1579
Joined: January 21st, 2011, 8:56 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by aggiesdotcom » May 2nd, 2019, 3:13 am

Raymond's decision was a no brainer because he'd already graduated. He accomplished what any student-athlete's goal should be, get a degree while playing the sport you're qualified to play. Anything beyond that is gravy.



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3264
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by ratofallaggies » May 2nd, 2019, 8:57 am

Just so everyone is aware. Being invited to a Rookie Mini Camp is different than signing with a team. Mini camp is an opportunity to try out for the team over a three day period.



NVAggie
Posts: 14954
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 171 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by NVAggie » May 2nd, 2019, 9:04 am

Can anyone help us distinguish between the mini camp invites and the UDFAs?



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6135
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 535 times
Been liked: 306 times
Contact:

Re: UDFA’s

Post by aggies22 » May 2nd, 2019, 9:28 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 8:57 am
Just so everyone is aware. Being invited to a Rookie Mini Camp is different than signing with a team. Mini camp is an opportunity to try out for the team over a three day period.
Hey Rat, which guys are the undrafted free agents and which ones are the mini camp invites?



Mediocre at Best
Posts: 738
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Mediocre at Best » May 2nd, 2019, 10:07 am

Dax is a definite signee and the Bears are jacked about him. Here is a blurb from the Chicago press:

" While the aforementioned three prospects are welcome additions to their Bears’ offense, they aren’t the only rookies who could be intriguing weapons for the team—they Bears also made two intriguing signings after the draft in Missouri wide receiver Emanuel Hall and Utah State tight end Dax Raymond.

Believed by many draft analysts as potential early Day 3 picks, it was surprising that both Hall and Raymond fell into undrafted free agency. It was even more surprising that the Bears managed to sign both of them, considering their recent inability to sign big-name undrafted rookies. Though the likes of Cameron Meredith and Bryce Callahan developed into quality players for the team, Chicago has never signed players who were as highly touted coming out of the draft as Hall and Raymond."
These users liked this post from Mediocre at Best:
Aggie_in_Idaho



Mediocre at Best
Posts: 738
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Mediocre at Best » May 2nd, 2019, 10:15 am

For Dax fans check out this link. Rave reviews and good video of his game.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/ ... -udfa-gems
These users liked this post from Mediocre at Best:
Aggie_in_Idaho



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2220
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by OKAggie » May 2nd, 2019, 10:26 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 8:57 am
Just so everyone is aware. Being invited to a Rookie Mini Camp is different than signing with a team. Mini camp is an opportunity to try out for the team over a three day period.
If (always a big if) the AD's releases are correct, only Ficklin was a mini-camp invitee -- all the others state that the players "signed a free agent contract". As I understand things, a free agent contract is an invitation to camp and places a player on the 90-man roster. An invitation to mini-camp is not a contract, and is essentially a (longshot) tryout for a free agent contract (IIRC that's how Dallin Leavitt made the Raiders last year).

Is that your understanding, both of the distinction and of the status of the Undrafted Eight?


Nobody here knows anything.

taniataylor
Posts: 1354
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by taniataylor » May 2nd, 2019, 10:37 am

Aaren Vaughns is a mini camp invite, he flew out yesterday to Indiana


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Imakeitrain
Posts: 4828
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Imakeitrain » May 2nd, 2019, 11:49 am

No way should Dax have waited. He was already older than other rookies. There is nothing that college offers him that the NFL can't. Unlike hoops, NFL teams have practice squads and can carry more on the roster. If he can prove himself in the NFL, he will get paid just as if he were to wait. I don't think being a year older would increase his value in the NFL (unless he had incredible numbers) Even only receiving practice squad money is worth the experience and money. If you have a chance at the NFL you have to take it.
These users liked this post from Imakeitrain:
LarryTheAggie


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Imakeitrain
Posts: 4828
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by Imakeitrain » May 2nd, 2019, 12:33 pm

hickaggie wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 5:10 pm
Mediocre at Best wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 1:16 pm
Tania:

So correct. Dax had a lot of interest and the sense is he can be a serviceable TE in the NFL if he can improve his strength and blocking. Sweet hands and athletic. I share your belief that another year at USU would not serve him well and do little to improve his chances. Strength training and blocking technique can be coached and best done on the developmental squad not at USU. If he is hungry enough and can improve in these areas he will make some noise. Personally I have had frustration with how the TE as well as the receivers have been coached over the past couple of years. Jordan is an NFL level prospect and I am hoping that the change in coaching staff will use him the way he is best used and has a big 2019 season.
I would venture that what happened to Raymond was that he got a lot of solid information that he was a first day pick before the combine because teams viewed him as a mismatch at receiver and someone they could do a lot with moving him around while they worked on his strength and blocking. Then when his speed and agility numbers came in at average in the combine and pro day, combined with the really poor strength numbers (that probably were more influenced by his hand injury than anything else), teams got scared off of drafting him early and things just kind of snowballed and worked out in a manner where teams just didn't pull the trigger late.

I think he's one of those guys that is a far tougher cover on the field than his combine numbers can reflect and that he'll make a regular squad and be a good player. He is also a smart player and blocker and with NFL training and technique work I don't think blocking will be that much of a hindrance to his career. We'll see I guess.

BTW-the 225 lb bench press has got to be the most idiotic strength test for a football player. They should be evaluating max power clean and squat numbers. A burnout bench number seems pretty worthless as a comparison tool for max total body explosiveness and max lower body strength which is what almost all football contact involves.
A one rep max probably isn't the best measure either. You want guys that have muscular endurance. 2 plates is solid weight- esp. for reps. There are other tests for "explosiveness" that they run at the combine such as the various jumps.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3264
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: UDFA’s

Post by ratofallaggies » May 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

OKAggie wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 10:26 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 8:57 am
Just so everyone is aware. Being invited to a Rookie Mini Camp is different than signing with a team. Mini camp is an opportunity to try out for the team over a three day period.
If (always a big if) the AD's releases are correct, only Ficklin was a mini-camp invitee -- all the others state that the players "signed a free agent contract". As I understand things, a free agent contract is an invitation to camp and places a player on the 90-man roster. An invitation to mini-camp is not a contract, and is essentially a (longshot) tryout for a free agent contract (IIRC that's how Dallin Leavitt made the Raiders last year).

Is that your understanding, both of the distinction and of the status of the Undrafted Eight?
The AD's release wasn't correct. Tarver is a mini camp guy as well. Yes, that's correct. Mini camp is a try out over a three day period.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic