New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4542
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 83 times

New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 21st, 2019, 12:10 pm

Really glad we’re bringing in at least one upperclassman WR. I wonder if he’s a walk on though.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Sean- ... Interests/

These users liked this post from Roy McAvoy:
ViAggie



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4873
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Aglicious » May 21st, 2019, 12:35 pm

Maybe Carter's on both sides now?

Interesting.... :headscratch: so we beat out NMSU for his services?
I like his size, looks like he lined up on the outside in JC but I would see him as a possession type receiver at this level.



AggieUprising50
Posts: 434
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by AggieUprising50 » May 21st, 2019, 1:49 pm

I like him! Reminds me of a young Tarver.

Between the two Carters, Scarver, Mariner, our favorite Jordan Nathan, Tompkins and Heckstall, looks like Love will have plenty of targets to throw to next year.



taniataylor
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by taniataylor » May 21st, 2019, 2:07 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 1:49 pm
I like him! Reminds me of a young Tarver.

Between the two Carters, Scarver, Mariner, our favorite Jordan Nathan, Tompkins and Heckstall, looks like Love will have plenty of targets to throw to next year.
;) :notworthy:
These users liked this post from taniataylor:
aggies22


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4873
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Aglicious » May 21st, 2019, 3:40 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 1:49 pm
I like him! Reminds me of a young Tarver.

Between the two Carters, Scarver, Mariner, our favorite Jordan Nathan, Tompkins and Heckstall, looks like Love will have plenty of targets to throw to next year.
...and Lampkin too - it is looking better :rock:

btw, is it me or does it seem like we have lots of rhymin' going on with our WR's the past few years?

Carter-Carter-Tarver-Scarver

Thompkins-Lampkin- Compton (sort of?)



User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by USU78 » May 21st, 2019, 3:57 pm

I like the fierceness of his blocking.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

LKGates
Posts: 3185
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 132 times
Contact:

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by LKGates » May 21st, 2019, 6:00 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 3:40 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 1:49 pm
I like him! Reminds me of a young Tarver.

Between the two Carters, Scarver, Mariner, our favorite Jordan Nathan, Tompkins and Heckstall, looks like Love will have plenty of targets to throw to next year.
...and Lampkin too - it is looking better :rock:

btw, is it me or does it seem like we have lots of rhymin' going on with our WR's the past few years?

Carter-Carter-Tarver-Scarver

Thompkins-Lampkin- Compton (sort of?)
It sounds like a law firm.


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

usufan1
Posts: 454
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by usufan1 » May 21st, 2019, 7:06 pm

Aglicious wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 1:49 pm
I like him! Reminds me of a young Tarver.

Between the two Carters, Scarver, Mariner, our favorite Jordan Nathan, Tompkins and Heckstall, looks like Love will have plenty of targets to throw to next year.
...and Lampkin too - it is looking better :rock:

btw, is it me or does it seem like we have lots of rhymin' going on with our WR's the past few years?

Carter-Carter-Tarver-Scarver

Thompkins-Lampkin- Compton (sort of?)
Poor Flygare thought the Polynesian names were tough. Wait for this seasons tongue twisters.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk




donlarson8
Posts: 1589
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 6:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by donlarson8 » May 21st, 2019, 7:21 pm

Looks like he previously played at Indy CC of Last Chance U fame and was teammates with DJ


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3411
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 33 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Smokin Joe » May 22nd, 2019, 9:43 am

I'm no talent scout (I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few weeks ago) but dayum, I like this kid a lot. Did anyone view his highlight tape? He is tall, strong, athletic and on tape, looks to have good speed. Welcome to the Aggie Brotherhood Mr. Carter.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 850
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am

I like what I see as well. Looks like we replaced the size of Tarver and Greene with this kid and Mariner. Hopefully he can step right in and compete. I was pretty worried about the WR group a few months ago but I think we may have a pretty decent bunch and some weapons to work with.



captain68
Posts: 120
Joined: August 29th, 2013, 6:37 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 8 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by captain68 » May 22nd, 2019, 11:48 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am
I like what I see as well. Looks like we replaced the size of Tarver and Greene with this kid and Mariner. Hopefully he can step right in and compete. I was pretty worried about the WR group a few months ago but I think we may have a pretty decent bunch and some weapons to work with.
Now the only question is, will we have an offensive line that will give Love enough time to get the ball to these guys. I honestly believe the success of this season will hinge on this. I feel like we are stacked at running back, we have a good receiving core, the best QB in the conference, and a stout defense. Mark my words the offensive line will make or break this season.



oleblu111
Posts: 1016
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by oleblu111 » May 22nd, 2019, 11:52 am

captain68 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:48 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am
I like what I see as well. Looks like we replaced the size of Tarver and Greene with this kid and Mariner. Hopefully he can step right in and compete. I was pretty worried about the WR group a few months ago but I think we may have a pretty decent bunch and some weapons to work with.
Now the only question is, will we have an offensive line that will give Love enough time to get the ball to these guys. I honestly believe the success of this season will hinge on this. I feel like we are stacked at running back, we have a good receiving core, the best QB in the conference, and a stout defense. Mark my words the offensive line will make or break this season.

You are correct O line make or break this season. I think we have good running backs and a decent receiving group. The O line is quite green, lets hope they grow up fast.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2481
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Madmartigan » May 22nd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Does anyone have a feel for how the offense will be different under Sanford? He indicated they wanted to keep the pace up-tempo, but beyond that I wonder if you'll see multiple sets and different formations. 22, can you shed any light into the differences in offensive scheme and philosophy between this year and last?



LKGates
Posts: 3185
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 132 times
Contact:

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by LKGates » May 22nd, 2019, 12:48 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:52 am
captain68 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:48 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am
I like what I see as well. Looks like we replaced the size of Tarver and Greene with this kid and Mariner. Hopefully he can step right in and compete. I was pretty worried about the WR group a few months ago but I think we may have a pretty decent bunch and some weapons to work with.
Now the only question is, will we have an offensive line that will give Love enough time to get the ball to these guys. I honestly believe the success of this season will hinge on this. I feel like we are stacked at running back, we have a good receiving core, the best QB in the conference, and a stout defense. Mark my words the offensive line will make or break this season.

You are correct O line make or break this season. I think we have good running backs and a decent receiving group. The O line is quite green, lets hope they grow up fast.
They're not that green. Most of the guys starting this year got the equivalent of at least 4 full games of playing time last year, with all the blow outs.


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

MWCFAN12
Posts: 621
Joined: January 1st, 2011, 2:10 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by MWCFAN12 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:00 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 12:38 pm
Does anyone have a feel for how the offense will be different under Sanford? He indicated they wanted to keep the pace up-tempo, but beyond that I wonder if you'll see multiple sets and different formations. 22, can you shed any light into the differences in offensive scheme and philosophy between this year and last?

22 would have a better handle on this than me but I doubt we will see a huge change. We were in 11 package most of the year last year ( meaning 1 RB and 1 TE ) . I don't think we are set up to move away from that too far. The 1st time GA was here we ran a lot of 2 back with smith and turbo. So that might make it's way back in but for right now I see us using the 11 package still..

I think we will target people different. MW used the TE to block and run off LB and DB's to open up under the route. I can see ( and saw in spring game ) us throwing more to the TE more drag routes, posts and most likley seam routes. We should have a huge advantage in MWC games with our TE's, Most safeties in the MW can't cover Terrell. Add in our speed at the slot and you get some major match up issues, if teams stay in a base D then they end up trying to cover a RB with a LB, and if they switch to a Nickel you end up trying to stop the run with 5 DB's and no time to sub with the speed we run.

I think we are going to have some match up issues. The one thing we do miss is a big outside WR that if you don't double will kill you... If we can develop that ... watch out
These users liked this post from MWCFAN12:
aggies22



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4542
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 22nd, 2019, 1:05 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am
I like what I see as well. Looks like we replaced the size of Tarver and Greene with this kid and Mariner. Hopefully he can step right in and compete. I was pretty worried about the WR group a few months ago but I think we may have a pretty decent bunch and some weapons to work with.
Not me. Our WR's may very well end up really good next season, but we have very little known commodities returning next season combined with a lot of youth.

I watch nearly every Utah football game. I wasn't that impressed with Mariner. There's a reason he's transferring away from Utah. He wasn't going to play much his senior year. Hopefully maybe a fresh start and a better QB will be exactly what he needs to take his game to the next level.
These users liked this post from Roy McAvoy:
aggies22



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6452
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 454 times
Contact:

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by aggies22 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:27 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 12:38 pm
Does anyone have a feel for how the offense will be different under Sanford? He indicated they wanted to keep the pace up-tempo, but beyond that I wonder if you'll see multiple sets and different formations. 22, can you shed any light into the differences in offensive scheme and philosophy between this year and last?
In the 8 or 9 spring practices that I was able to attend, I honestly didn't see much difference. The pace was at least equal to what was ran in 2018 and the play calling didn't really seem to change much if at all.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6452
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 454 times
Contact:

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by aggies22 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:30 pm

The one thing that concerns me about Carter is he only has 22 career JuCo receptions. That puts him right near the JuCo production of Devin Heckstall and we all saw how much Heckstall saw the field in 2018. That doesn't mean that he can't contribute BUT it does mean that he didn't see a ton of action at the JuCo level.



slcagg
Posts: 2905
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by slcagg » May 22nd, 2019, 1:34 pm

Yikes, 22? Maybe the team didn’t pass much? That’s roughly 1 catch per game.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2481
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Madmartigan » May 22nd, 2019, 1:41 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 1:00 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 12:38 pm
Does anyone have a feel for how the offense will be different under Sanford? He indicated they wanted to keep the pace up-tempo, but beyond that I wonder if you'll see multiple sets and different formations. 22, can you shed any light into the differences in offensive scheme and philosophy between this year and last?

22 would have a better handle on this than me but I doubt we will see a huge change. We were in 11 package most of the year last year ( meaning 1 RB and 1 TE ) . I don't think we are set up to move away from that too far. The 1st time GA was here we ran a lot of 2 back with smith and turbo. So that might make it's way back in but for right now I see us using the 11 package still..

I think we will target people different. MW used the TE to block and run off LB and DB's to open up under the route. I can see ( and saw in spring game ) us throwing more to the TE more drag routes, posts and most likley seam routes. We should have a huge advantage in MWC games with our TE's, Most safeties in the MW can't cover Terrell. Add in our speed at the slot and you get some major match up issues, if teams stay in a base D then they end up trying to cover a RB with a LB, and if they switch to a Nickel you end up trying to stop the run with 5 DB's and no time to sub with the speed we run.

I think we are going to have some match up issues. The one thing we do miss is a big outside WR that if you don't double will kill you... If we can develop that ... watch out
Everyone on this board is rejoicing. "Throw to the TE more." is nearly equally said as "DBs DONT TURN THEIR HEADS!" around here.

Thanks for the insights, I like what I'm reading thus far. OL and WR are big question marks. I hope we can have quality production at both position groups.
These users liked this post from Madmartigan:
oleblu111



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 850
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 22nd, 2019, 2:56 pm

aggies22 wrote:The one thing that concerns me about Carter is he only has 22 career JuCo receptions. That puts him right near the JuCo production of Devin Heckstall and we all saw how much Heckstall saw the field in 2018. That doesn't mean that he can't contribute BUT it does mean that he didn't see a ton of action at the JuCo level.
Agreed. I don’t think he walks in and takes a starting spot immediately but I do like that we signed someone with some size and who seems to be a capable blocker. I do think based on the video that this Carter kids is much more fluid, fast, and better hands than Heckstall. I just like the tools that this kid seems to have to work with.



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3411
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 33 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Smokin Joe » May 22nd, 2019, 4:11 pm

Re the O-Line: GA and Coach Woods worked out the current O-linemen (and watched film of them) and concluded JC or transfer augmentation was unnecessary. That is good enough for me and then some.
These users liked this post from Smokin Joe. Total Likes: 2
aggies22BustaMcNutt



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 850
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 22nd, 2019, 4:48 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:Re the O-Line: GA and Coach Woods worked out the current O-linemen (and watched film of them) and concluded JC or transfer augmentation was unnecessary. That is good enough for me and then some.
I think the ceiling on some of the young guys on the Oline may be higher than some of the ones that graduated this year. They may be a little green to start with but by mid season I expect them to roll up some teams.
These users liked this post from AGGIEinIOWA:
aggies22



Blitz79
Posts: 1058
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Blitz79 » May 22nd, 2019, 4:56 pm

Nothing in the film stands out to me. He has good size, hopefully he does good things here.



User avatar
AggiesForever
2015 Kickoff Pick'em Champion
Posts: 1793
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by AggiesForever » May 22nd, 2019, 6:24 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 1:05 pm
Not me. Our WR's may very well end up really good next season, but we have very little known commodities returning next season combined with a lot of youth.

I watch nearly every Utah football game. I wasn't that impressed with Mariner. There's a reason he's transferring away from Utah. He wasn't going to play much his senior year. Hopefully maybe a fresh start and a better QB will be exactly what he needs to take his game to the next level.
I think we're going to see a different Siosi Mariner with a decent quarterback throwing him the ball. Huntley is an athletic but average throwing quarterback for Utah, and I'm afraid Shelley was the same kind of guy. They threw it a lot but I don't think they threw it with the kind of accuracy and pace that Love showed he can toss it last year. I believe Mariner will thrive in this system.

Personally, with USU's WR's this year, I think the production will be more overall volume than one or two guys doing all of the damage. I think we have enough guys who can be adequate to give us what we need overall. This will make the guys we know can play stand out even more.



captain68
Posts: 120
Joined: August 29th, 2013, 6:37 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 8 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by captain68 » May 22nd, 2019, 9:38 pm

Not to mention we have great running backs this year. That will keep defenses honest. They will have to focus on stopping the run too. They won’t be able to just drop everyone back in coverage. That will open a lot of things in the passing game!



slcagg
Posts: 2905
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by slcagg » May 22nd, 2019, 9:52 pm

When was the last time Utah had a decent passing game?



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3411
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 33 times

Re: New commit - 2019 WR Sean Carter

Post by Smokin Joe » May 22nd, 2019, 10:50 pm

Honestly, I think Whit was so taken with Chuckie Keeton, that he's since been quite focused on finding his own CK ( good RPO QB with emphasis on dynamic run ability) but hasn't been able to. (Just an impression I've had.) He's had good runners but substandard passers. Jordan Love is actually a very, very good running QB. I'm glad he doesn't do it much though because I think the game has shown that you can't run your QB a lot without sacrificing his health. Its a rare QB who can run often and play regularly. They get hurt. Exhibit A: Chuckie Keeton. Exhibit B: Taysom Hill.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic