Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5296
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 423 times

Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by Aglicious » June 13th, 2019, 6:28 pm

In fact, their entire reputation rides on a single game according to Jason Buck.

https://kslsports.com/411475/byus-reput ... trap-game/

I love how the lowly Aggies have now become the focus of BYU football.....LMAO! Forget their supposed long time rival Utah, that ship has sailed, it's time to focus on the next in-state team passing them by.

A trap game though? In what world does one think that the Aggies should be a "clear victory" for BYU? The answer is only in the mind of out of touch Coog fans and former Coog players.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
IdaAg93



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3611
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by Smokin Joe » June 13th, 2019, 10:11 pm

They've yet to absorb the fact or not mere parity with the Aggies, but indisputable recent Aggie superiority trending to the long-term. If we beat them this year, its well-nigh impossible to deny that they're the 3rd best program in the state---with us having dramatically surpassed them and us being first in the state, as evidenced by the fact that the pussy Utes are afraid to play us. ;)
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post (total 2):
aggies22IdaAg93



taniataylor
Posts: 1718
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 637 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by taniataylor » June 14th, 2019, 7:10 am

We’re gonna trap ‘em alright!!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
IdaAg93


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
AndroidAggie
Posts: 4115
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:47 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by AndroidAggie » June 14th, 2019, 7:41 am

ignore the trap game nonsense for a moment and focus on the implications of beating byu 3 years in a row

that would go beyond parity between usu and byu and seriously tilt the perception of usu being better than byu in the eyes of the casual fan. reminder that we don't get much attention and airplay from regular sports chatter and sports talk in the state of utah. that's lamentable and a bummer, but it is what it is. your average college fan, from a 'this is my understanding of the landscape' is going to default to the assumption that usu sucks. we've seen what we've been doing for the last 5 years because we go to most all the home games if not all of them and many away games. we also watch every single solitary game and even sometimes more than once thanks to the wondrous efforts of our dear friend the VideoBot.

no one else beyond us is doing that.

we're not surprised. we feel great about the upcoming season. we know what we have.

they don't.

so of course, usu beating byu 3 years in a row is a huge challenge to the assumptions of the general population



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 1945
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by AggiesForever » June 14th, 2019, 8:37 am

Talk about living in the past. Listening to Jason Buck say stuff like that reminds me of Aggie fans in the 1980's referring to Utah State like it was still the 1960's and Merlin Olsen was still playing on the Aggie line. Most of BYU fans think its still 1984 and Steve Young or Jim McMahon is just waiting to come off the bench to "vanquish the foe."
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 3):
USU78aggies22AggieFBObsession



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9542
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4653 times
Been thanked: 2810 times
Contact:

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by aggies22 » June 14th, 2019, 9:31 am

Beating us means so much to them, that hung in their very lockerroom as one of the team "goals" was to beat their "rivals". The "rivals" listed were Utah, Boise State and yes, little ole' Utah State.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionIdaAg93



AggieUprising50
Posts: 682
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by AggieUprising50 » June 14th, 2019, 10:23 am

If anything, they're more likely to be OUR trap game than the other way around.

Lets say that we're undefeated in conference play up until then. It would be really hard not to look ahead to Fresno or Boise State instead of focusing on a team that we've destroyed for the past two years. Byu also has a bye week before us, and you know their coaches are feeling the pressure not to lose to us 3 years in a row. That seems more like a trap game to me than the way they see us.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 3):
ChicAggieAggieFBObsessiondonlarson8



slcagg
Posts: 4527
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 565 times
Been thanked: 577 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by slcagg » June 14th, 2019, 10:58 am

AggiesForever wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 8:37 am
Talk about living in the past. Listening to Jason Buck say stuff like that reminds me of Aggie fans in the 1980's referring to Utah State like it was still the 1960's and Merlin Olsen was still playing on the Aggie line. Most of BYU fans think its still 1984 and Steve Young or Jim McMahon is just waiting to come off the bench to "vanquish the foe."
They do have a heisman candidate leading the team this year.



NavyBlue
Posts: 304
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:37 am
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by NavyBlue » June 14th, 2019, 11:01 am

According to Y fans, BYU always has a preseason Heisman candidate, for about the last 10 years so does Utah...preseason, anyway.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9542
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4653 times
Been thanked: 2810 times
Contact:

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by aggies22 » June 14th, 2019, 11:31 am

slcagg wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 10:58 am
AggiesForever wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 8:37 am
Talk about living in the past. Listening to Jason Buck say stuff like that reminds me of Aggie fans in the 1980's referring to Utah State like it was still the 1960's and Merlin Olsen was still playing on the Aggie line. Most of BYU fans think its still 1984 and Steve Young or Jim McMahon is just waiting to come off the bench to "vanquish the foe."
They do have a heisman candidate leading the team this year.
The last time we had a preseason heisman candidate he shredded his knee and was never the same player. I think I'll live without jumping on the preseason hype train.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession



User avatar
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Posts: 8101
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by BigBlueDart » June 14th, 2019, 12:07 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 10:23 am
If anything, they're more likely to be OUR trap game than the other way around.

Lets say that we're undefeated in conference play up until then. It would be really hard not to look ahead to Fresno or Boise State instead of focusing on a team that we've destroyed for the past two years. Byu also has a bye week before us, and you know their coaches are feeling the pressure not to lose to us 3 years in a row. That seems more like a trap game to me than the way they see us.
Realistically, our players and fanbase (probably even our coaches) aren't yet to the point where they don't think of the BYU game as a big deal.



AggieUprising50
Posts: 682
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by AggieUprising50 » June 14th, 2019, 1:28 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 12:07 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 10:23 am
If anything, they're more likely to be OUR trap game than the other way around.

Lets say that we're undefeated in conference play up until then. It would be really hard not to look ahead to Fresno or Boise State instead of focusing on a team that we've destroyed for the past two years. Byu also has a bye week before us, and you know their coaches are feeling the pressure not to lose to us 3 years in a row. That seems more like a trap game to me than the way they see us.
Realistically, our players and fanbase (probably even our coaches) aren't yet to the point where they don't think of the BYU game as a big deal.
True. I still think that they are more likely to be a trap game for us than the other way around.

But......if they want to keep underestimating us, I'll have no problem continuing to dominate them on the field.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
aggies22



jpswensen
Posts: 1521
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 211 times
Contact:

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by jpswensen » June 14th, 2019, 3:09 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 10:23 am
If anything, they're more likely to be OUR trap game than the other way around.

Lets say that we're undefeated in conference play up until then. It would be really hard not to look ahead to Fresno or Boise State instead of focusing on a team that we've destroyed for the past two years. Byu also has a bye week before us, and you know their coaches are feeling the pressure not to lose to us 3 years in a row. That seems more like a trap game to me than the way they see us.
It raises an interesting question as to whether a barely bowl-bound BYU who loses to USU three years in a row and didn't beat Utah in the 2010s can possibly keep their influential boosters from demanding a coaching change.


Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

Imakeitrain
Posts: 6042
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by Imakeitrain » June 14th, 2019, 4:40 pm

How can we be a trap game when we have been a better team the past few years? A trap game is when you play a team that is by record worse than you but they beat you (bad matchups, overlooking the opponent and not being prepared, etc.)

They have lost to teams far worse than us.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 7624
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1396 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by USU78 » June 14th, 2019, 5:01 pm

USU wins three of the last five. Trap.

Sure.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Aggie19
Posts: 636
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 427 times
Been thanked: 306 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by Aggie19 » June 14th, 2019, 5:17 pm

They could totally be overlooking us. I know it'd be tough not to focus on Liberty, Idaho State and Umass. That's a tough 3 week stretch behind us, I feel for them.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionIdaAg93


Go Aggies!

User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by dyedblue » June 14th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Hans just said Sitake is like 1-8 against Utah, Boise, and USU. Too bad they can't play more teams like UMass


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on June 14th, 2019, 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
aggies22IdaAg93


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

alaskanaggie
Posts: 25
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 11:55 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by alaskanaggie » June 14th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Oh gosh this article is so bad. It makes it sound like USU is the trap game but Buck says that Toledo is. I guess that is one way to get clicks. We being the most important game according to Buck is fun though.



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 915
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 718 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 15th, 2019, 9:06 am

AggiesForever wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 8:37 am
Talk about living in the past. Listening to Jason Buck say stuff like that reminds me of Aggie fans in the 1980's referring to Utah State like it was still the 1960's and Merlin Olsen was still playing on the Aggie line. Most of BYU fans think its still 1984 and Steve Young or Jim McMahon is just waiting to come off the bench to "vanquish the foe."
They already tried that with Ty Detmer and it was a cluster. Lol. So, that strategy won't work either.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9542
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4653 times
Been thanked: 2810 times
Contact:

Re: Apparently we a certain team's

Post by aggies22 » June 15th, 2019, 10:07 am

dyedblue wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Hans just said Sitake is like 1-8 against Utah, Boise, and is. Too bad they can't play more teams like UMass


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They can. Just join the Big Sky or wait and get in on "the new WAC" and they can begin a rivalry with Dixie St.



User avatar
IdaAg93
Posts: 1476
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am
Location: SE Idaho...a perfect distance from the hive.
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's

Post by IdaAg93 » June 15th, 2019, 4:36 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 10:07 am
dyedblue wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Hans just said Sitake is like 1-8 against Utah, Boise, and is. Too bad they can't play more teams like UMass


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They can. Just join the Big Sky or wait and get in on "the new WAC" and they can begin a rivalry with Dixie St.
Isn't Dixie soon to be on their football schedule as it is? I believe they're on their way to the WAC.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
TrueBlueFan
Posts: 565
Joined: August 2nd, 2011, 10:56 pm
Location: Logan
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by TrueBlueFan » June 16th, 2019, 9:23 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 9:31 am
Beating us means so much to them, that hung in their very lockerroom as one of the team "goals" was to beat their "rivals". The "rivals" listed were Utah, Boise State and yes, little ole' Utah State.
0/3 😂
These users thanked the author TrueBlueFan for the post:
aggies22


Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16695
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 817 times
Been thanked: 724 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by NVAggie » June 17th, 2019, 10:00 am

Image
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2137
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 17th, 2019, 6:53 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 10:07 am
dyedblue wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Hans just said Sitake is like 1-8 against Utah, Boise, and is. Too bad they can't play more teams like UMass


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They can. Just join the Big Sky or wait and get in on "the new WAC" and they can begin a rivalry with Dixie St.
Lets not get too full of ourselves preseason and before injuries or non performing reality arrives. I recall when we were way down and played them close then beat the Y a couple of times it was like the end of the world in Provo. They have pressure on them this season plus a bye week prior to our game. I am anxious about this game. That is the stuff upsets are made of...



Aggie19
Posts: 636
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 427 times
Been thanked: 306 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's

Post by Aggie19 » June 17th, 2019, 8:51 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 6:53 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 10:07 am
dyedblue wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Hans just said Sitake is like 1-8 against Utah, Boise, and is. Too bad they can't play more teams like UMass


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They can. Just join the Big Sky or wait and get in on "the new WAC" and they can begin a rivalry with Dixie St.
Lets not get too full of ourselves preseason and before injuries or non performing reality arrives. I recall when we were way down and played them close then beat the Y a couple of times it was like the end of the world in Provo. They have pressure on them this season plus a bye week prior to our game. I am anxious about this game. That is the stuff upsets are made of...
Im not getting cocking about this game at all. They can definitely beat us. I feel like we have a good shot to beat them. It's not a matter of getting ahead of ourselves, its a matter of those arrogant arses calling us a trap game. Like we're less than worthy. Like we haven't whooped them two years in a row. That's it.


Go Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16695
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 817 times
Been thanked: 724 times

Re: Apparently we a certain team's "trap game"?

Post by NVAggie » June 18th, 2019, 9:09 am

I think that Buck dude doesn't know the meaning of a "trap" game. You can't really fault him for that. Look where he was educated.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07aggies22



Locked Previous topicNext topic