I don't think Devin likes Logan

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

I don't think Devin likes Logan

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 18th, 2019, 12:43 pm

I have to wonder what we could do to help athletes from different cultures feel more comfortable in Logan, UT. Sure this is just Devin Heckstall, but this attitude is prevalent. When I was at USU several athletes talked to me about their struggles with Logan and things they had to deal with that they felt were racist. These weren't necessarily blatant racist actions, but still ones that made athletes feel uncomfortable. (Such as being stared at in grocery stores, mothers pulling their kids close when they walk by, etc.)

These are some recent tweets from Devin Heckstall. PWI refers to a "predominately white institution. With regards to that 2nd tweet maybe he is home in Baltimore right now. I have no idea.

Last edited by Roy McAvoy on June 18th, 2019, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Madmartigan

Re: I don't think Devin likes Logan

Post by Madmartigan » June 18th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 12:43 pm
I have to wonder what we could do to help athletes from different cultures feel more comfortable in Logan, UT. Sure this is just Devin Heckstall, but this attitude is prevalent. When I was at USU several athletes talked to me about their struggles with Logan and things they had to deal with that they felt were racist. These weren't necessarily blatant racist actions, but still ones that made athletes feel uncomfortable. (Such as being stared at at grocery stores, mothers pulling their kids close when they walk by, etc.)

These are some recent tweets from Devin Heckstall. PWI refers to a "predominately white institution. With regards to that 2nd tweet maybe he is home in Baltimore right now. I have no idea. ."

It would be hard to be an African American in Logan. The prevalent culture in almost every case wouldn't match up with what you're used to at home. There are some exceptions of minority players that loved Logan, but I think there are a lot more like Devin that just aren't vocal.

And to further illustrate my point, I'm out of touch enough I had to go look up what PWI and HBCU meant before Roy posted.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » June 18th, 2019, 12:57 pm

It's got to be tough for a lot of these guys. The Cache Valley mono-culture is, frankly, repressive, even to someone from that culture. Would love to get Jordan Nathan's mom's take on it. Can you imagine how much worse it is in Provostan?

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » June 18th, 2019, 1:14 pm

MY OPINION:Sometimes kids don't like who they are surrounded by based on what they were raised to believe in. He also isn't actually one of our better receivers and is probably being put on the back burner based on his skill set and our new arrivals. I believe what you're seeing in his Tweets are more of a regret based on him not getting the playing time he feels he deserves.

JORDAN'S REALITY: I raised him in Southern California and he is culturally diverse. He has traveled to many different countries and many different states. He doesn't necessarily like being in a place that is predominately 1 race but that would be true if he was primarily around other African Americans, Asians, Hispanics, etc. That being said, Jordan has embraced Logan as his home, he has come to love it and the people there. Jordan DID struggle his 1st year, but not because he regretted coming to USU or the racial climate there, but more because of things didn't go as he thought at the time

Per Roy's post: Jordan has never told me that he gets weird stares or kids getting pulled away from him, he wears his Utah State gear everywhere he goes and people talk to him all the time. Maybe Logan has made some progress over the years in that regard (P.S. The whole team is back in Logan now, 2 workouts a day...I know cuz the kid told me he front squatted 405 lbs)
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 18):
MadmartiganRoy McAvoyoleblu111AgliciousSlumJumblubloodAgSpaceCaseBustaMcNuttaggies22Turtle and 8 more users

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 18th, 2019, 1:50 pm

As one who's grand kids are mixed race let me say that there is some racial stuff that has gone on in Logan, but it is rare.

Tania has raised her son the right way, he will succeed in what the culture is like where he lives.

HBCU as a rule are not as good academically because of funding, and kids that graduate from them can have trouble adjusting to life in the real world.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 18th, 2019, 2:17 pm

taniataylor wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 1:14 pm
MY OPINION:Sometimes kids don't like who they are surrounded by based on what they were raised to believe in. He also isn't actually one of our better receivers and is probably being put on the back burner based on his skill set and our new arrivals. I believe what you're seeing in his Tweets are more of a regret based on him not getting the playing time he feels he deserves.

JORDAN'S REALITY: I raised him in Southern California and he is culturally diverse. He has traveled to many different countries and many different states. He doesn't necessarily like being in a place that is predominately 1 race but that would be true if he was primarily around other African Americans, Asians, Hispanics, etc. That being said, Jordan has embraced Logan as his home, he has come to love it and the people there. Jordan DID struggle his 1st year, but not because he regretted coming to USU or the racial climate there, but more because of things didn't go as he thought at the time

Per Roy's post: Jordan has never told me that he gets weird stares or kids getting pulled away from him, he wears his Utah State gear everywhere he goes and people talk to him all the time. Maybe Logan has made some progress over the years in that regard (P.S. The whole team is back in Logan now, 2 workouts a day...I know cuz the kid told me he front squatted 405 lbs)
Glad you said it first and I think your opinion is full of truth. Most of the time when we have heard from out-of-state student athletes being unsatisfied about their experience in Logan it has come from guys that are experiencing issues on the field and lack of PT rather than issues off the field. I am not doubting that the things that Roy describes happen but on the flip side these athletes also often experience a bit of hero worship, extra positive attention from children (and the ladies), and are generally viewed as the face of something that represents all of us. There are some positives that come from being a student athlete and perhaps not a part of the ethnic majority too.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
taniataylorNVAggie

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » June 18th, 2019, 2:19 pm

taniataylor wrote:

I just want to say how much I love having you on this board. I appreciate your straight-shooter perspective so much. Thank you for being willing to comment on what could be called sensitive topics. It provides a lot of valuable insight we wouldn’t otherwise have.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 3):
taniatayloraggies22CodingAggieBlue

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 18th, 2019, 2:27 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 2:19 pm
taniataylor wrote:

I just want to say how much I love having you on this board. I appreciate your straight-shooter perspective so much. Thank you for being willing to comment on what could be called sensitive topics. It provides a lot of valuable insight we wouldn’t otherwise have.
Here here. Tania provides a very realistic and blunt insiders view into the life of a student athlete and how they view the program. I'm grateful she comments here and that we haven't scared her off despite her being a distant 3rd or 4th in being Jordan Nathan's number one fan.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
aggies22taniataylor

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » June 18th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 2:27 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 2:19 pm
taniataylor wrote:

Here here. Tania provides a very realistic and blunt insiders view into the life of a student athlete and how they view the program. I'm grateful she comments here and that we haven't scared her off despite her being a distant 3rd or 4th in being Jordan Nathan's number one fan.
OMG now I'm in 3rd place, 4th even?
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
aggies22

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 18th, 2019, 2:41 pm

taniataylor wrote:
[T]he kid told me he front squatted 405 lbs
Wow!
:cheers:
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
aggies22JSHarvey

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » June 18th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I think Logan can be a culture shock for many reasons. Race can be one of them but there are a lot of things for students in general to get used to. My wife came up to USU from Southern California and had a culture shock because of the lack of resources such as not having a Target, Chipotle, plus the Cache Valley Mall is subpar to say the least. It was an adjustment for her but she grew to love Cache Valley and the community. I think what makes Logan and Utah State great are the relationships we form with people and the genuine college town experience you can't get in most places.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » June 18th, 2019, 3:32 pm

I am a white guy, and raised Mormon, but grew up in New Hampshire. Logan was a HUGE culture shock to me. I came to love the place, but it took a while to get used to.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 18th, 2019, 3:34 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 2:41 pm
taniataylor wrote:
[T]he kid told me he front squatted 405 lbs
Wow!
:cheers:
Hey, I can front squat 405 lbs!

cumulatively....

over about eight squats....

or sixteen....
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
USU78ViAggie

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 18th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Well, it's understandable that one might feel uncomfortable in a more racially homogenous area. Overall, here are the approximate breakdowns:

White: 85% in Cache Valley, 87% in Utah, and 72% overall in the US.
Black: .50% in Cache Valley, 1% in Utah, and just under 13% overall in the US
Hispanic: 10% in Cache Valley, 14% in Utah, and about 16% overall in the US
Islander: .5% in Cache Valley, 1% in Utah, and about .2% overall in the US
Asian: 2% in Cache Valley, 2% in Utah, and about 5% overall in the US
Amerind: 1% in Cache Valley, 2.5% in Utah, and about 1% overall in the US

The real issue is urban vs semirural. Cache Valley is not all that different from a whole lot of areas of the country.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 18th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Logan's number's white 84.2%
Black 1.4%
Asian 3.9%
Two or more 3.0%
Hispanic 15.1%

Logan has close to the same % of blacks as what Ogden does, we are not all that diverse, but slowly changing
Last edited by oleblu111 on June 18th, 2019, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » June 18th, 2019, 3:56 pm

I can understand where the kid is coming from. It's hard to be the minority in the place where you live. I remember when I was in Peru for my mission. I was the only white guy around for the vast majority of my time there. Even though the vast majority of people were nice, I still stook out like a sore thumb. It's hard to feel comfortable in situations like that.

Now I was lucky to make tons of friends and lasting relationships down there, so I felt at home, but it's definitely hard if you don't know anyone or have good relationships with the people where you live.

I think that's what's happening with Devin. Getting frustrated for the lack of playing time, and then coupling that with all the feelings of being a minority student. I can understand why he's having a hard time.

Wish the kid the best and that he enjoys the rest of his time here.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 18th, 2019, 4:42 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 3:56 pm
I can understand where the kid is coming from. It's hard to be the minority in the place where you live. I remember when I was in Peru for my mission. I was the only white guy around for the vast majority of my time there. Even though the vast majority of people were nice, I still stook out like a sore thumb. It's hard to feel comfortable in situations like that.

Now I was lucky to make tons of friends and lasting relationships down there, so I felt at home, but it's definitely hard if you don't know anyone or have good relationships with the people where you live.

I think that's what's happening with Devin. Getting frustrated for the lack of playing time, and then coupling that with all the feelings of being a minority student. I can understand why he's having a hard time.

I had to google "stook". That sentence makes even less sense, now. :headscratch:

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » June 18th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I have high hopes for him because he's so tall. Hope he has a breakout year.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 18th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Or he could be another Alex Wheat. Impressive measurables that never panned out. I’m hoping he does just as you are.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » June 18th, 2019, 5:32 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 4:42 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:

I had to google "stook". That sentence makes even less sense, now. :headscratch:
:lol: Excuse me for the typo. *stood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 18th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 5:13 pm
Smokin Joe wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Or he could be another Alex Wheat. Impressive measurables that never panned out. I’m hoping he does just as you are.
His ability to tweet is starting to rivals Alex's though.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 18th, 2019, 8:11 pm

At the risk of sounding obtuse or racially insensitive, I feel the need to defend the people of Cache Valley.

First, having spent most my formative years in Cache Valley, people who are racist are the exception. However, because there are so few of other races, people have little face-to-face experience with people who aren't like them. They often say things they hear from media sources without even knowing what they're saying is founded in racism. For example, someone might use the term "nappy" or similar because they read or heard it out of context and have no clue.

Everyone has unconscious bias. Our past experiences, that we carry with us, can skew our view of current and future experiences. For example, when I walk through a grocery store and enter an isle and a mother with a small child sees me, reaches down and pulls her kid closer, I think she's making sure her kid is not in my way as I navigate the isle. However, I can certainly see how a young black man could do the exact same thing as me, see the exact same action from a mother, and think she's doing it out of fear - not out of consideration.

Whatever our backgrounds, whatever our past experiences, we can choose to be positive change.

kumbaya
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
USU78JSHarvey

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 18th, 2019, 8:28 pm

The student athlete culture is not the same culture in Logan that most of us experienced.

Although any individual can like or not like Logan or prefer HBCUs for any reason they’d like (there are some phenomenal HBCUs)I just don’t think this anti-Logan mentality is as common as some may think. (Although most people probably hate Logan every now & then)

Based on my observation of the athletes I knew, were all fairly close across the various sports (and within their teams of course). I think with how close the athletics department seemed to be, that a lot of what some people dislike about Logan causing them to maybe feel left out socially, can be mitigated. That’s just my opinion based on my own interactions.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » June 19th, 2019, 12:01 am

Born raised in Logan 21 years; New York City 4 years; Philly 5 years; Arizona 45 years; but still have a Cache Valley home: Biggest culture shock to me is 20 year old women pregnant with 4 children in tow shopping Walmart. Sound track for the Cache Chamber of Commerce video should be screaming children:
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post:
aggies22

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 19th, 2019, 6:50 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
You really can't understand where he's coming from. You may try but you can't. A missionary experience is not a valid comparison at all. It's not living in the real world under circumstances where you are surviving as an adult. It's also not the same because you're not coming from his same racial background and past.

I'm sorry. This is a pet peeve of mine. People trying to use a missionary experience to relate to something that's very different.

It's ok to admit to yourself that you're not the same and you can't really relate. That doesn't make you an intolerant person. It just makes you different and that's ok.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 4):
aggies22Madmartiganusufan1Zaggie07

bullshot

Post by bullshot » June 19th, 2019, 7:01 am

Young, large families in Utah is why Utah is the youngest state in the US (by a mile)

SOCIALLY INSENSITIVE ALERT!!!

We have 3 of the 4 M’s, I’ll let you figure out which ones

Mormons, Mexicans, Muslims, Meth moms.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 19th, 2019, 8:11 am

There's been some good commentary in this thread. Allow me to rephrase a bit. I don't think "prevalent" was the correct word. The feeling definitely exists though and my whole point was just to bring some awareness to it and hope that Aggie fans will be conscious of it and help work to rectify it. That was all.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
brownjeanscrazywookie

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 19th, 2019, 8:59 am

tinplater wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 12:01 am
Born raised in Logan 21 years; New York City 4 years; Philly 5 years; Arizona 45 years; but still have a Cache Valley home: Biggest culture shock to me is 20 year old women pregnant with 4 children in tow shopping Walmart. Sound track for the Cache Chamber of Commerce video should be screaming children:
Ain't it great?

bpd

Post by bpd » June 19th, 2019, 9:00 am

I loved Utah State, and I liked Logan, but there is a reason I don't live in Utah/Logan. Lack of cultural diversity. I don't live in a super diverse culture area right now (Colorado), but at least it is religiously diverse. I can see how a young college kid who is not Mormon has a hard time with Logan.

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 19th, 2019, 9:01 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 8:11 am
There's been some good commentary in this thread. Allow me to rephrase a bit. I don't think "prevalent" was the correct word. The feeling definitely exists though and my whole point was just to bring some awareness to it and hope that Aggie fans will be conscious of it and help work to rectify it. That was all.
How does one "rectify" the fact that black folks don't much move to and stay in the likes of Utah, Montana, and North Dakota?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 19th, 2019, 9:20 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
You really can't understand where he's coming from. You may try but you can't. A missionary experience is not a valid comparison at all. It's not living in the real world under circumstances where you are surviving as an adult. It's also not the same because you're not coming from his same racial background and past.

I'm sorry. This is a pet peeve of mine. People trying to use a missionary experience to relate to something that's very different.

It's ok to admit to yourself that you're not the same and you can't really relate. That doesn't make you an intolerant person. It just makes you different and that's ok.

You're right, nobody can relate to Devin and all of Logan and Aggie Nation are racist even if only subliminally.

I call BS. The missionary experience can be real. Many missionaries struggle because of culture, language, and yes even race. It is a real struggle just add being in Logan is for Devin. Imagine being raised in Logan and then getting sent to Cincinnati, Philadelphia, or any number of foreign countries.

This is has brought up a difficult/sensitive topic that is often avoided. I have a lot o of respect for those that have shared their thoughts, feelings, and opinions.

Tania, thanks for your perspective. I appreciate your willingness to have real talk on any subject. The world is a better place because of people like you. I think this is a topic that needs more discussion from all points of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
USUMAECast Iron Aggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 19th, 2019, 9:24 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 6:50 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:

Solid post. Best we can do is try to understand and listen. This thread has gone much better than I anticipated it would. Bravo Aggies.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » June 19th, 2019, 9:48 am

bpd wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:00 am
I loved Utah State, and I liked Logan, but there is a reason I don't live in Utah/Logan. Lack of cultural diversity. I don't live in a super diverse culture area right now (Colorado), but at least it is religiously diverse. I can see how a young college kid who is not Mormon has a hard time with Logan.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Same reason I left here. Even if you're part of the dominant culture (a mono-culture in all reality) it can still be oppressive. Imagine how it is for some black kid from the city. Got to be an adjustment. Hope Devin can find his niche, find friends and relatable folks and finish out here on a high, high note.

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 19th, 2019, 9:56 am

Smokin Joe wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:48 am
Even if you're part of the dominant culture (a mono-culture in all reality) it can still be oppressive.
That's a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » June 19th, 2019, 10:02 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 6:50 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:

I'm going to disagree with you on this overall. You're right that I wasn't trying to pay the bills and survive as an adult in Peru, but that doesn't mean I didn't have real world relationships and interactions with people. I'm not going to buy this "missionary experience" doesn't count narrative because in the end I was still just a lone gringo living in a place where a fair amount people were raised to look at people of my skin color in ill will.

I experienced an immense culture shock, I dealt with racist comments and actions daily, and had an eye opening experience of what it was truly like to be a minority for the first time in my life.

So sure, I may not have gone through what Devin is going through right now, but I am convinced that my time in Peru helped me understand it better than I would have been able without it.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
Cast Iron Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic