I'm still worried about our WRs

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Murkymerk

Re: I'm still worried about our WRs

Post by Murkymerk » June 24th, 2019, 9:16 am

Madmartigan wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 8:59 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 8:49 am
Madmartigan wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 8:04 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 7:55 am
Smokin Joe wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 11:32 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 2:03 pm
Personally I’m much more worried about the OL than our receivers. I thought Gary did a really good job of bringing in guys to fill voids left by last years unit.

I am not because GA and our new O-Line coach are not. Specifically, they evaluated all the O-line players (and worked them out) and concluded we did not need to go the Juco route to shore up the O-line. That speaks volumes.
I’m fully aware about the O-Line situation and their potential. I think they will be good. I just happen to be less concerned with our receivers because of the guys that GA has brought in.
Which guys at the WR position that GA has brought in do you like?
Carter and Lampkin are kids that could have an impact right away out of high school, and Mariner will almost surely be a starter in Game 1. Add in Scarver and Nathan, plus some receiving help from the TE group, and we really aren't in a terrible situation. If we can get guys like Compton, Patrick, and Thompkins to develop a little bit, we should even have some depth.

Oh, and Jordan Love is throwing to them. Not a bad way to break in a WR corps.
A lot of unknowns. Mariner was also not amazing at Utah. A change of scenery might be just the thing for him and Utah's offense hasn't been prolific in quite some time. That said, 712 yards receiving over three years doesn't impress or give me confidence in him.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems we've got one guy that's a known commodity (Nathan) and a bunch of unknowns. Going to be interesting to watch.
I agree that Mariner’s stats aren’t amazing, but he hasn’t had a great quarterback throwing to him and he’s been in a run-heavy offense. I really think J-Love is the real deal and will help all the receivers play up to their potential.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » June 24th, 2019, 9:28 am

Murkymerk wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 9:16 am
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
Personally I’m much more worried about the OL than our receivers. I thought Gary did a really good job of bringing in guys to fill voids left by last years unit.

I am not because GA and our new O-Line coach are not. Specifically, they evaluated all the O-line players (and worked them out) and concluded we did not need to go the Juco route to shore up the O-line. That speaks volumes.
I’m fully aware about the O-Line situation and their potential. I think they will be good. I just happen to be less concerned with our receivers because of the guys that GA has brought in.
Carter and Lampkin are kids that could have an impact right away out of high school, and Mariner will almost surely be a starter in Game 1. Add in Scarver and Nathan, plus some receiving help from the TE group, and we really aren't in a terrible situation. If we can get guys like Compton, Patrick, and Thompkins to develop a little bit, we should even have some depth.

A lot of unknowns. Mariner was also not amazing at Utah. A change of scenery might be just the thing for him and Utah's offense hasn't been prolific in quite some time. That said, 712 yards receiving over three years doesn't impress or give me confidence in him.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems we've got one guy that's a known commodity (Nathan) and a bunch of unknowns. Going to be interesting to watch.
I agree that Mariner’s stats aren’t amazing, but he hasn’t had a great quarterback throwing to him and he’s been in a run-heavy offense. I really think J-Love is the real deal and will help all the receivers play up to their potential.
I think we all are forgetting that Jalen Greene didn't have great stats at USC before he transferred. I think his career stats before USU were something around 18 receptions for 220 yards. That didn't stop him from having a good year with us.

As important as stats are, I think we also need to look into the players skills and potential they can have in our system.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
Madmartigan

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 24th, 2019, 11:19 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 9:28 am
Murkymerk wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:

I think we all are forgetting that Jalen Greene didn't have great stats at USC before he transferred. I think his career stats before USU were something around 18 receptions for 220 yards. That didn't stop him from having a good year with us.

As important as stats are, I think we also need to look into the players skills and potential they can have in our system.
A counterpoint is that USC typically has better receivers starting than Utah does. Now if we were talking about a defensive lineman at Utah with less than stellar stats it would be a different story. That said, it's a valid point that GA worked with Mariner in practice and would know his potential and not offer him if he knew it was all his fault his stats weren't great.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
Madmartigan

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 24th, 2019, 11:23 am

dyedblue wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 10:23 pm
The physicality that Green brought will not be replaced by a freshmen. He was a grown man destroying DBs out there. How many long gains did he spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 24th, 2019, 2:26 pm

dyedblue wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 10:23 pm
The physicality that Green brought will not be replaced by a freshmen. He was a grown man destroying DBs out there. How many long gains did he spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greene's blocking game was incredible. As far as a replacement among the newcomers, I would say Sean Carter (the JC transfer) looks most physically able to fill the role. I don't expect too much from him in the receiving game but he looks like he can serve as that short yardage possession type receiver and his build would make you think he could be quite physical but I suppose we'll see if his physique matches or translates to being a physical player on the field.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 24th, 2019, 2:38 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 9:28 am
Murkymerk wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:

This is a good point. I think USC typically gets a much higher caliber athlete on the outside than Utah does. We would not even be in the running for USC's top WR recruits and would be with Utah's. USC traditionally gets much better talent on offense than Utah.

Agree with QAA, if he were a DL transfer from Utah with mediocre stats, I'd be much more optimistic given that their DL is a top 5 unit in the country ever year.

I hope Mariner comes out and tears it up like Greene did, but I'm less optimistic about Mariner than I was Greene.

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » June 24th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Here are my predictions for this:

-Nathan can ball no matter what
-Scarver is elusive and will make plays on the ground, but may not be the go-to guy for tough passes
-AJ is going to be elite and surprise everyone as a freshman, he is dangerous in the open field and has lots of highlights where he slips past the defenders for a TD after the catch.
-Siaosi will be a top target. From the BYU-Utah game I saw, Siaosi seemed to have a perfect game– ran great routes and can change directions quickly, and made all difficult catches. He even juked some kid out of his shorts and it would have been a wide-open TD pass if Utah had a better quarterback like J. Love.
-TE Terrel will look like Raymond and make some big 1st down catches and 40 yarders even if the receivers are shut down
-I think there is enough talent and height in the remaining players, that by the 3rd game of the season, some guys will step up, and the receiving group will be equal to or greater than last year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic