2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7426
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 1034 times
Contact:

2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 7:59 am

It's that time of year again! Here is my first installment of the preseason previews. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments on either board! Thanks again for reading!!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 133332328/
These users liked this post from aggies22. Total Likes: 3
aggie4LUSU78flying_scotsman2.0



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2466
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 313 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 1st, 2019, 8:55 am

I can’t think of a time where our QB room has been this deep or talented. Love is perhaps the most talented QB we have ever had, Colombi would be starting for us most years, Peasley has the credentials we used to dream of for a USU QB, and we brought in two absolutely stellar freshmen. If you removed Love from this group, it still would be the deepest we have ever been at QB, albeit with a lower ceiling.
These users liked this post from YoungBloodAggie. Total Likes: 2
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7426
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 1034 times
Contact:

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 9:06 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 8:55 am
I can’t think of a time where our QB room has been this deep or talented. Love is perhaps the most talented QB we have ever had, Colombi would be starting for us most years, Peasley has the credentials we used to dream of for a USU QB, and we brought in two absolutely stellar freshmen. If you removed Love from this group, it still would be the deepest we have ever been at QB, albeit with a lower ceiling.
I actually think the sky would still be the limit if Love were gone and any of the other QBs got the first team reps. Getting those extra reps would do wonders for any of them. Our QB group is really good.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2566
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by Madmartigan » July 1st, 2019, 12:31 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 9:06 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 8:55 am
I can’t think of a time where our QB room has been this deep or talented. Love is perhaps the most talented QB we have ever had, Colombi would be starting for us most years, Peasley has the credentials we used to dream of for a USU QB, and we brought in two absolutely stellar freshmen. If you removed Love from this group, it still would be the deepest we have ever been at QB, albeit with a lower ceiling.
I actually think the sky would still be the limit if Love were gone and any of the other QBs got the first team reps. Getting those extra reps would do wonders for any of them. Our QB group is really good.
Great write-up. My jaw dropped a bit when I saw Legas's stats. Very impressive, reminds me productivity wise of Dax Raymond coming out of high school who also had crazy stats. Do you think both Calvin and Legas stay at QB? There were rumors of one or both of them switching positions. Also, is Legas a mission kid doing the Covey route? Playing one year then leaving?



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7426
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 1034 times
Contact:

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 12:57 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 12:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 9:06 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 8:55 am
I can’t think of a time where our QB room has been this deep or talented. Love is perhaps the most talented QB we have ever had, Colombi would be starting for us most years, Peasley has the credentials we used to dream of for a USU QB, and we brought in two absolutely stellar freshmen. If you removed Love from this group, it still would be the deepest we have ever been at QB, albeit with a lower ceiling.
I actually think the sky would still be the limit if Love were gone and any of the other QBs got the first team reps. Getting those extra reps would do wonders for any of them. Our QB group is really good.
Great write-up. My jaw dropped a bit when I saw Legas's stats. Very impressive reminds me productivity wise of Dax Raymond coming out of high school who also had crazy stats. Do you think both Calvin and Legas stay at QB? There were rumors of one or both of them switching positions. Also, is Legas a mission kid doing the Covey route? Playing one year then leaving?
I do not believe that there is a position change in the future for either player. Josh Calvin has never been anything but a quarterback and Cooper Legas decision to sign with Utah State was predicated on being told he would get every opportunity to play QB. From what I understand, Legas could potentially go on a mission following the 2019 season. I can't say for certain if that has been decided or not. I just know that Coach Andersen really wanted to get him here and on campus for the 2019 season. But if that happened, obviously that would relieve the logjam at QB a little bit.



USUMAE
Posts: 166
Joined: September 3rd, 2015, 2:41 pm
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by USUMAE » July 1st, 2019, 2:08 pm

One thing I've been worried about is injuries. It's good to know that should something happen to Love, which of course I hope does not happen, we're still going to be ok in that department.



User avatar
BigBlueDart
2017 FB Predict The Score Champion
Posts: 7947
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 212 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by BigBlueDart » July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm

I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2466
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 313 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 1st, 2019, 2:46 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm
I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.
Love can definitely run, but he is a pass-first guy. With an arm like his, who wouldn't be? Seven rushing touchdowns last year isn't too shabby, though!


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2466
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 313 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 1st, 2019, 2:52 pm

Just check out his tape against UNLV (other games look very similar to this one), he does everything. Scrambles for easy first downs, extends plays by rolling out or dropping back, steps into the pocket, absolutely nails pinpoint throws (including double teams like the one on Scarver), and even blocks on that bubble route to Vaughns!

These users liked this post from YoungBloodAggie. Total Likes: 2
aggies22USU78


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7426
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 1034 times
Contact:

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 3:10 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm
I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.
This is simply my opinion but there are different versions of what a dual-threat QB is. Jordan Love is definitely capable of moving the chains with his feet when necessary but he has the smarts to know when to tuck it and go and when to hang on and deliver a throw. Speaking solely in terms of running ability, Jordan isn't Michael Vick but he isn't Tom Brady either.



User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6137
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 606 times
Been liked: 173 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by USU78 » July 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:10 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm
I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.
This is simply my opinion but there are different versions of what a dual-threat QB is. Jordan Love is definitely capable of moving the chains with his feet when necessary but he has the smarts to know when to tuck it and go and when to hang on and deliver a throw. Speaking solely in terms of running ability, Jordan isn't Michael Vick but he isn't Tom Brady either.
To me Love is Calvillo with a better line and a prototypical NFL QB bod.
These users liked this post from USU78:
aggies22


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Madmartigan
Posts: 2566
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by Madmartigan » July 1st, 2019, 3:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:10 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm
I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.
This is simply my opinion but there are different versions of what a dual-threat QB is. Jordan Love is definitely capable of moving the chains with his feet when necessary but he has the smarts to know when to tuck it and go and when to hang on and deliver a throw. Speaking solely in terms of running ability, Jordan isn't Michael Vick but he isn't Tom Brady either.
Love runs the right way. Just enough to keep defenses honest, almost always to create a better passing lane/throw on the run, and not enough to put himself at higher risk for injury. He moves well in and out of the pocket. I can't think of a glaring weakness to him as a QB. This makes him a threat to go in the first two rounds of the draft next year.

Ideal size, above average arm strength, and great production thus far as a QB. Looking forward to watching him for years to come.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7426
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 1034 times
Contact:

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:10 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm
I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.
This is simply my opinion but there are different versions of what a dual-threat QB is. Jordan Love is definitely capable of moving the chains with his feet when necessary but he has the smarts to know when to tuck it and go and when to hang on and deliver a throw. Speaking solely in terms of running ability, Jordan isn't Michael Vick but he isn't Tom Brady either.
Love runs the right way. Just enough to keep defenses honest, almost always to create a better passing lane/throw on the run, and not enough to put himself at higher risk for injury. He moves well in and out of the pocket. I can't think of a glaring weakness to him as a QB. This makes him a threat to go in the first two rounds of the draft next year.

Ideal size, above average arm strength, and great production thus far as a QB. Looking forward to watching him for years to come.
I'm not looking forward to it but when Jordan takes off for the NFL a year early think of the credibility he will earn for the program. When was the last time Boise State had a QB bounce a year early for the draft? I don't believe it's ever happened.



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 727
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by AggieFBObsession » July 2nd, 2019, 6:34 am

USU78 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm
To me Love is Calvillo with a better line and a prototypical NFL QB bod.
That's a great comparison. That thought hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it but you're spot on.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7426
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 1034 times
Contact:

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 2nd, 2019, 6:45 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 6:34 am
USU78 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm
To me Love is Calvillo with a better line and a prototypical NFL QB bod.
That's a great comparison. That thought hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it but you're spot on.
By standards of measurement, Jordan is much bigger than Calvillo. Calvillo was barely 6'1" and 200. Jordan is 6-4 and 220. If you're going by the "prototypical" standards Calvillo wouldn't measure up BUT with the new NFL QB movement (Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray) then Calvillo fits right in.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 824
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am

I hate to bring this up, but Love had a bad game against Wyoming. Therefore, all five quarterbacks on the U's roster are better than him. If he sucked against the PAC12, that's different. Just gotta keep things real.
These users liked this post from flying_scotsman2.0. Total Likes: 4
YoungBloodAggieaggies22Madmartigansneed



taniataylor
Posts: 1569
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 347 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by taniataylor » July 2nd, 2019, 9:07 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am
I hate to bring this up, but Love had a bad game against Wyoming. Therefore, all five quarterbacks on the U's roster are better than him. If he sucked against the PAC12, that's different. Just gotta keep things real.
Don't pee in our Cheerios
These users liked this post from taniataylor:
USU78


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7426
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1932 times
Been liked: 1034 times
Contact:

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 2nd, 2019, 9:24 am

taniataylor wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 9:07 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am
I hate to bring this up, but Love had a bad game against Wyoming. Therefore, all five quarterbacks on the U's roster are better than him. If he sucked against the PAC12, that's different. Just gotta keep things real.
Don't pee in our Cheerios
I'm having a breakfast burrito so I guess I'm safe.
These users liked this post from aggies22:
taniataylor



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3559
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by Smokin Joe » July 2nd, 2019, 7:45 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm
I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.
He is a dual threat QB. He's had some very athletic runs. Thankfully, Wells and Yost did not run him much which is good because a dual threat QB doesn't last long in any league.
These users liked this post from Smokin Joe:
sneed



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4704
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 76 times

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 3rd, 2019, 7:24 am

Smokin Joe wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 7:45 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm
I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.
He is a dual threat QB. He's had some very athletic runs. Thankfully, Wells and Yost did not run him much which is good because a dual threat QB doesn't last long in any league.




Post Reply Previous topicNext topic