2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 7:59 am

It's that time of year again! Here is my first installment of the preseason previews. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments on either board! Thanks again for reading!!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 133332328/
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
aggie4LUSU78flying_scotsman2.0

YoungBloodAggie

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Quarterback

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 1st, 2019, 8:55 am

I can’t think of a time where our QB room has been this deep or talented. Love is perhaps the most talented QB we have ever had, Colombi would be starting for us most years, Peasley has the credentials we used to dream of for a USU QB, and we brought in two absolutely stellar freshmen. If you removed Love from this group, it still would be the deepest we have ever been at QB, albeit with a lower ceiling.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 9:06 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 8:55 am
I can’t think of a time where our QB room has been this deep or talented. Love is perhaps the most talented QB we have ever had, Colombi would be starting for us most years, Peasley has the credentials we used to dream of for a USU QB, and we brought in two absolutely stellar freshmen. If you removed Love from this group, it still would be the deepest we have ever been at QB, albeit with a lower ceiling.
I actually think the sky would still be the limit if Love were gone and any of the other QBs got the first team reps. Getting those extra reps would do wonders for any of them. Our QB group is really good.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 1st, 2019, 12:31 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 9:06 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
I actually think the sky would still be the limit if Love were gone and any of the other QBs got the first team reps. Getting those extra reps would do wonders for any of them. Our QB group is really good.
Great write-up. My jaw dropped a bit when I saw Legas's stats. Very impressive, reminds me productivity wise of Dax Raymond coming out of high school who also had crazy stats. Do you think both Calvin and Legas stay at QB? There were rumors of one or both of them switching positions. Also, is Legas a mission kid doing the Covey route? Playing one year then leaving?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 12:57 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 12:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 9:06 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Great write-up. My jaw dropped a bit when I saw Legas's stats. Very impressive reminds me productivity wise of Dax Raymond coming out of high school who also had crazy stats. Do you think both Calvin and Legas stay at QB? There were rumors of one or both of them switching positions. Also, is Legas a mission kid doing the Covey route? Playing one year then leaving?
I do not believe that there is a position change in the future for either player. Josh Calvin has never been anything but a quarterback and Cooper Legas decision to sign with Utah State was predicated on being told he would get every opportunity to play QB. From what I understand, Legas could potentially go on a mission following the 2019 season. I can't say for certain if that has been decided or not. I just know that Coach Andersen really wanted to get him here and on campus for the 2019 season. But if that happened, obviously that would relieve the logjam at QB a little bit.

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » July 1st, 2019, 2:08 pm

One thing I've been worried about is injuries. It's good to know that should something happen to Love, which of course I hope does not happen, we're still going to be ok in that department.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm

I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 1st, 2019, 2:46 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm
I keep seeing Love described as a dual-threat QB, but given his numbers I don't really get that. Seems like he is more expert in stepping up in the pocket than escaping it. He's capable with his feet, but he seems to be almost the opposite of a run-first mentality.
Love can definitely run, but he is a pass-first guy. With an arm like his, who wouldn't be? Seven rushing touchdowns last year isn't too shabby, though!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 1st, 2019, 2:52 pm

Just check out his tape against UNLV (other games look very similar to this one), he does everything. Scrambles for easy first downs, extends plays by rolling out or dropping back, steps into the pocket, absolutely nails pinpoint throws (including double teams like the one on Scarver), and even blocks on that bubble route to Vaughns!

These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 3:10 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
This is simply my opinion but there are different versions of what a dual-threat QB is. Jordan Love is definitely capable of moving the chains with his feet when necessary but he has the smarts to know when to tuck it and go and when to hang on and deliver a throw. Speaking solely in terms of running ability, Jordan isn't Michael Vick but he isn't Tom Brady either.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:10 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
This is simply my opinion but there are different versions of what a dual-threat QB is. Jordan Love is definitely capable of moving the chains with his feet when necessary but he has the smarts to know when to tuck it and go and when to hang on and deliver a throw. Speaking solely in terms of running ability, Jordan isn't Michael Vick but he isn't Tom Brady either.
To me Love is Calvillo with a better line and a prototypical NFL QB bod.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 1st, 2019, 3:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
Love runs the right way. Just enough to keep defenses honest, almost always to create a better passing lane/throw on the run, and not enough to put himself at higher risk for injury. He moves well in and out of the pocket. I can't think of a glaring weakness to him as a QB. This makes him a threat to go in the first two rounds of the draft next year.

Ideal size, above average arm strength, and great production thus far as a QB. Looking forward to watching him for years to come.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
Love runs the right way. Just enough to keep defenses honest, almost always to create a better passing lane/throw on the run, and not enough to put himself at higher risk for injury. He moves well in and out of the pocket. I can't think of a glaring weakness to him as a QB. This makes him a threat to go in the first two rounds of the draft next year.

Ideal size, above average arm strength, and great production thus far as a QB. Looking forward to watching him for years to come.
I'm not looking forward to it but when Jordan takes off for the NFL a year early think of the credibility he will earn for the program. When was the last time Boise State had a QB bounce a year early for the draft? I don't believe it's ever happened.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » July 2nd, 2019, 6:34 am

USU78 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm
That's a great comparison. That thought hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it but you're spot on.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 2nd, 2019, 6:45 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 6:34 am
USU78 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm
That's a great comparison. That thought hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it but you're spot on.
By standards of measurement, Jordan is much bigger than Calvillo. Calvillo was barely 6'1" and 200. Jordan is 6-4 and 220. If you're going by the "prototypical" standards Calvillo wouldn't measure up BUT with the new NFL QB movement (Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray) then Calvillo fits right in.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am

I hate to bring this up, but Love had a bad game against Wyoming. Therefore, all five quarterbacks on the U's roster are better than him. If he sucked against the PAC12, that's different. Just gotta keep things real.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 4):
YoungBloodAggieaggies22Madmartigansneed

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 2nd, 2019, 9:07 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am
I hate to bring this up, but Love had a bad game against Wyoming. Therefore, all five quarterbacks on the U's roster are better than him. If he sucked against the PAC12, that's different. Just gotta keep things real.
Don't pee in our Cheerios
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USU78

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 2nd, 2019, 9:24 am

taniataylor wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 9:07 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:59 am
Don't pee in our Cheerios
I'm having a breakfast burrito so I guess I'm safe.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
taniataylor

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » July 2nd, 2019, 7:45 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
He is a dual threat QB. He's had some very athletic runs. Thankfully, Wells and Yost did not run him much which is good because a dual threat QB doesn't last long in any league.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post:
sneed

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 3rd, 2019, 7:24 am

Smokin Joe wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 7:45 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
He is a dual threat QB. He's had some very athletic runs. Thankfully, Wells and Yost did not run him much which is good because a dual threat QB doesn't last long in any league.

Locked Previous topicNext topic