Page 1 of 1

2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 12th, 2019, 6:06 pm
by aggies22
It's that time of year again! Here is my sixth installment of the preseason previews. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments on either board! Thanks again for reading!!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 133626150/

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 12th, 2019, 6:39 pm
by sambonethegreat
Great work! If Unga can’t stay healthy, how does depth at NG look? Does he have a RS year available?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 12th, 2019, 6:56 pm
by aggies22
sambonethegreat wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Great work! If Unga can’t stay healthy, how does depth at NG look? Does he have a RS year available?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Unga does not have a redshirt year available.

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 6:12 am
by slcagg
How does a 3 man front fit in with a 4-3 defense?

A lot of seniors on this group. Hopefully the young guys will develop quickly for the upcoming years.

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 7:54 am
by aggies22
slcagg wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 6:12 am
How does a 3 man front fit in with a 4-3 defense?

A lot of seniors on this group. Hopefully the young guys will develop quickly for the upcoming years.
The EDGE rush OLB that Tipa, Justus Te'i, Jaylin Bannerman, etc., will play, will primarily play right at the line of scrimmage. Although they will have the ability to peel off into pass coverage. I included the EDGE OLB in my linebacker preview. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. Would you suggest I include the EDGE position with the defensive line next year? I'm always open to feedback.

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 8:42 am
by Madmartigan
aggies22 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 7:54 am
slcagg wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 6:12 am
How does a 3 man front fit in with a 4-3 defense?

A lot of seniors on this group. Hopefully the young guys will develop quickly for the upcoming years.
The EDGE rush OLB that Tipa, Justus Te'i, Jaylin Bannerman, etc., will play, will primarily play right at the line of scrimmage. Although they will have the ability to peel off into pass coverage. I included the EDGE OLB in my linebacker preview. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. Would you suggest I include the EDGE position with the defensive line next year? I'm always open to feedback.
So in a 4-2-5 You would have the OLB as a standup edge rusher?

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 9:25 am
by aggies22
Madmartigan wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 8:42 am
aggies22 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 7:54 am
slcagg wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 6:12 am
How does a 3 man front fit in with a 4-3 defense?

A lot of seniors on this group. Hopefully the young guys will develop quickly for the upcoming years.
The EDGE rush OLB that Tipa, Justus Te'i, Jaylin Bannerman, etc., will play, will primarily play right at the line of scrimmage. Although they will have the ability to peel off into pass coverage. I included the EDGE OLB in my linebacker preview. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. Would you suggest I include the EDGE position with the defensive line next year? I'm always open to feedback.
So in a 4-2-5 You would have the OLB as a standup edge rusher?
Yes. I think you'll also see the EDGE with his hand in the dirt. Here's my reasoning for still calling these guys linebackers. Any of the players that were here last year Tipa, Justus, etc., were OLBs and they are still the size of an OLB. I understand that in a perfect 4-man front both DEs would be roughly the same size with a DT and a NG between them. We don't have the depth to run a traditional 4-man front. I think the coaching staff is trying to utilize our speed and not completely alienate 1/3 of our linebackers.

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 10:40 am
by Elkaggie
Wow. Our D line looks good. Gonna be some huge holes to fill next year after after most of them graduate.

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 12:06 pm
by Aggie84025
I love football, but am no expert. How do the experts on this board think the D-line will perform? Are we thinking it will be better than last year's or similars? If the O-line does not need Uasike is there any chance he goes back to D-line to help?

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 12:08 pm
by slcagg
Elkaggie wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 10:40 am
Wow. Our D line looks good. Gonna be some huge holes to fill next year after after most of them graduate.
I’m hoping uasike moves back to dline. He showed a lot of promise there as a young guy, not sure what happened last year.

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 12:08 pm
by slcagg
aggies22 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 7:54 am
slcagg wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 6:12 am
How does a 3 man front fit in with a 4-3 defense?

A lot of seniors on this group. Hopefully the young guys will develop quickly for the upcoming years.
The EDGE rush OLB that Tipa, Justus Te'i, Jaylin Bannerman, etc., will play, will primarily play right at the line of scrimmage. Although they will have the ability to peel off into pass coverage. I included the EDGE OLB in my linebacker preview. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. Would you suggest I include the EDGE position with the defensive line next year? I'm always open to feedback.
No feedback necessary. I think we all are still trying to understand alignment in defense.

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 12:23 pm
by aggies22
slcagg wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 12:08 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 10:40 am
Wow. Our D line looks good. Gonna be some huge holes to fill next year after after most of them graduate.
I’m hoping uasike moves back to dline. He showed a lot of promise there as a young guy, not sure what happened last year.
I was told that Mo had basically sacrificed his first two seasons here because we needed the depth and that he was being allowed to redshirt and work on himself and his craft in order to prepare himself for a shot at the NFL.

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 2:03 pm
by slcagg
aggies22 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 12:23 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 12:08 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 10:40 am
Wow. Our D line looks good. Gonna be some huge holes to fill next year after after most of them graduate.
I’m hoping uasike moves back to dline. He showed a lot of promise there as a young guy, not sure what happened last year.
I was told that Mo had basically sacrificed his first two seasons here because we needed the depth and that he was being allowed to redshirt and work on himself and his craft in order to prepare himself for a shot at the NFL.
At what position?

Re: 2019 Utah State Football Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

Posted: July 13th, 2019, 2:15 pm
by aggies22
slcagg wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 2:03 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 12:23 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 12:08 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 10:40 am
Wow. Our D line looks good. Gonna be some huge holes to fill next year after after most of them graduate.
I’m hoping uasike moves back to dline. He showed a lot of promise there as a young guy, not sure what happened last year.
I was told that Mo had basically sacrificed his first two seasons here because we needed the depth and that he was being allowed to redshirt and work on himself and his craft in order to prepare himself for a shot at the NFL.
At what position?
I was under the impression it would be at NG/DT BUT that was prior to Coach Andersen becoming the Head Coach.