What Wake Forest Fans Are Saying

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

What Wake Forest Fans Are Saying

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 22nd, 2019, 2:37 pm

I've posted a few comments from these Wake Forest message boards. I also wanted to highlight the fact that Wake Forest is favored by 3.5 in Vegas.

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthr ... 84-Utah-St
Utah St.
I don't get it. Yes they were good last year but they lost their coach and about 17 starters didn't they? Yet a lot seem to be afraid of them and they are getting A LOT of respect in the magazines. For what? Jordan Love alone? Yes he came in and picked us apart years ago but we were playing third string then.

They lose their coach and 80% of an 11 win team after one good season and get picked 18th. We lose Dortch, Glenn, 2 DL 3 OL and they drop us and think we struggle. But we also get back another NFL prospect Olinemen a starting CB and the majority of a depleted LB corps.
I think people should take a deep breath about this Jordan Love guy and remember the absolute waxing the Deacs gave to Dave Gettleman's dream man and future Peyton Manning - Daniel Jones. Jordan Love is child's play compared to that beast of a QB!
We are going to kick the (I can't express myself without swearing) out of this team. Carney gets 200 yards.
Our redshirted freshmen and sophomores will outperform their juco transfers. Henderson and Bassey aren’t afraid of their receivers at all and Love won’t have all day to throw. There is no way they score the 60 points it will require for them to win.

I don’t understand their hype. They have a good quarterback surrounded by a community college team.

Final score: 59-24
I hope people keep on hyping up USU - it'll just make our win look better if we are as fortunate.
Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
https://usustatesman.com/utah-state-...ions-schedule/
The Deacon's 'lackluster defense'.

Bulletin board material.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-fore ... 133559278/
Jul 10, 11:56 AM
Heh heh, I just had to post this link to USU's football forecast for 2019. These are some self-aware, humble people we're dealing with. After rolling through the opener against lightly regarded WFU, USU is projected to finish 10-2. I have to be impressed that they divine 2 losses, even though one of them is to LSU.

https://usustatesman.com/utah-state-foo ... -schedule/

So, should we all take a lesson in humility from these people? They seem very sensitive about stepping a little bit over the line. Of course, even more impressive when you realize they come from that renowned institution that can only serve to enhance everyone's opinion of their mastery.

Carry on.
Man I hope Coach Hemphill prints 100 copies of this and tapes it everywhere, any defensive player on the team goes. Locker room, bathroom, classroom, cafeteria, sidewalks, confessionals (it's possible), practice fields, windshields......" "lackluster defense..." ouch!
TaipeiDeac said... (original post)

Seems rather dismissive of a team that beat them 46-10 the last time they played.

The thing I am going to relish the most about the surprise waiting for Utah St will be seeing the Wake defense be a strength/weapon in this game rather than the weakness USU expects.

USU hasn't met Boogie yet.......

https://247sports.com/college/wake-fore ... h-powered-
offense-to-face-Deacs-133363853/
I am not terribly worried about this game. QB's a stud, but I read they only return 2 offensive starters including him. New coach(es), new system... I'd be surprised and not a little bit miffed if we dropped this at home

travelingagg

Re: What Wake Forest Fans Are Saying

Post by travelingagg » July 22nd, 2019, 2:52 pm

"They have a good quarterback surrounded by a community college team."

Wow. I agree that the Statesman article is overly optimistic, but calling USU a community college team is a bit much. Especially considering USU has 15 players in the NFL vs. Wake Forest's 14 players.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/u
http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/w

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » July 22nd, 2019, 10:52 pm

It's funny that they're so bent out of shape about one of us calling their defense "lackluster." They were ranked 116th in nation in total defense last season. They do return 6 starters from that very defense. Ranked right ahead of them at 115 was UNLV the very team we beat 59-28 and put up 600 yards and lead at the half 42-7 with the back ups playing the majority of the second half. I get that this was all based on last year and we don't know what our offense will look like and if it's anywhere near as potent as it was last year. But my point is the facts seem to indicate based on what we do know...their defense appears to be pretty lackluster. With that said I think the Aggies win but it's going to be close and it's going to be OUR defense that wins the game for us....but I think the offense will look good too.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » July 23rd, 2019, 12:41 pm

Seeing some of those comments are great. They say we have tons of lost production but then say they’ll replace their O line and D lines with no problem. Okaaaay....

I really think the key to winning this game is for USU to run the ball effectively. We definitely have the RBs, but do we have the O line? I think they’re shortchanging Jordan Love, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author sambonethegreat for the post:
FistBump

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 23rd, 2019, 1:09 pm

sambonethegreat wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 12:41 pm
Seeing some of those comments are great. They say we have tons of lost production but then say they’ll replace their O line and D lines with no problem. Okaaaay....

I really think the key to winning this game is for USU to run the ball effectively. We definitely have the RBs, but do we have the O line? I think they’re shortchanging Jordan Love, too.

If you try and look at this game as objectively as possible its a great opportunity for USU to steal a P5 road win. Even with an NFL QB last year they relied heavily on establishing the run. The Aggie D shapes up to be very strong against the ground game. Meanwhile, unless their defense, and especially their pass defense has really made major strides Love should have some open receivers.

Not going to worry about their P5 east coast fan biases. The last time they played the Aggies they humiliated them. And truth be told all they know is that the Aggies lost their entire coaching staff and almost all of the offense.

jamesda3asu

Post by jamesda3asu » July 23rd, 2019, 1:27 pm

Bias you have 54 new players and a new coach. It's game one against us in Winston Salem and we are expected to have the best team we have ever had under Clawson.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 23rd, 2019, 1:44 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 1:27 pm
Bias you have 54 new players and a new coach. It's game one against us in Winston Salem and we are expected to have the best team we have ever had under Clawson.
Thats why Vegas has the line at 3.5 or basically a nuetral site pick em. No one is saying this is an easy game for the Aggies or that Wake won't get rolling at home, but on paper this should be a very good game with similar talent levels and coaching. Andersen traditionally has his teams playing their best at these sorts of games too. I do think the strengths and weakness matchups of the Aggie run D and Jordan Love going against a pass defense that looked pretty bad last year give USU a real chance to be in it at the end.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 23rd, 2019, 1:45 pm

we'll find out who's better on August 30th.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Full

Post by Full » July 23rd, 2019, 2:53 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:Bias you have 54 new players and a new coach. It's game one against us in Winston Salem and we are expected to have the best team we have ever had under Clawson.
I know the 54 comes from a story in the Athletic, but I can’t find that many. I show 2 possible starters and the media guide list 42 out of the 102 players on the roster as newcomers. The 42 includes walk-ons and a unfortunately some players that will likely never play a snap (30 coming from high-school).

The coaching change seems dramatic, but Gary Andersen was the last coach from 2009-2012. When he left, Matt Wells, the OC became the head coach and was here from 2013-2018. With the change there was a priority to not make a lot of changes to a system that was successful. There is also some staff and players that were coaching, or recruited by the current head coach. Frank Maile was the DL coach under Andersen and co-defensive coordinator the last years (coaching TE’s this season). Also, because it’s common for some players to serve two year church missions and redshirt there are a few players on the team recruited by Andersen.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 23rd, 2019, 3:00 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:
Welcome to the board. Curious as I don’t know much about wake.

How many returning all Americans does wake have?

Does wake have a top 10 in college football returning qb?

Really not sure about your roster. Just curious.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 23rd, 2019, 3:23 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:
It's the other 55 or so that you need to worry about.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
bigblue

jamesda3asu

Post by jamesda3asu » July 23rd, 2019, 3:49 pm

slcagg wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 3:00 pm
jamesda3asu wrote:

The ACC compared to the Mountain West is not apples and oranges. Do you think you guys would have been 11-2 in the ACC last year?

jamesda3asu

Post by jamesda3asu » July 23rd, 2019, 3:58 pm

2 of our losses were to Clemson and ND both of which where k. The playoff one a National Champion. A third to a top 25 Syracuse team where our starting freshman qb broke his leg. Our defense was attrocious the first half of the year so bad that we fired our DC mid-season and it improved dramatically despite season ending injuries at db and lb. In some games last season we were with one scholarship lb we had to play walk ons and move safeties. Our back up qb who came in for the true freshman was a RS soph he's 6-4 230 they try to compare him to Cam Newton. We won three of four to finish including one over top 15 state and Memphis who should have beaten everybody's world beater UCF

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 23rd, 2019, 4:08 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 3:49 pm
slcagg wrote:
jamesda3asu wrote:

The ACC compared to the Mountain West is not apples and oranges. Do you think you guys would have been 11-2 in the ACC last year?
Huh? That is not an answer to my question. We aren’t talking conferences. We aren’t comparing Clemson to San Jose state. We are comparing usu to wake.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » July 23rd, 2019, 4:12 pm

Maybe better cancel the trip to WF. Can’t compete with such a power.

Just having fun. We hope-for a great showing and no injuries against a P5 team.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 23rd, 2019, 4:25 pm

Yes, we know what they're saying. But how they sound as they're saying is an issue. "Assolated":

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 23rd, 2019, 5:35 pm

How in the hell did a lowly, crappy team from the MW kick the crap out of Wake Forest of the mighty ACC a few years ago in Logan ?

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » July 23rd, 2019, 6:17 pm

Fans gonna fan.

I’m going with Vegas, I think it’s a close game with wake with the home field advantage.

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

sambonethegreat

Post by sambonethegreat » July 23rd, 2019, 7:10 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:2 of our losses were to Clemson and ND both of which where k. The playoff one a National Champion. A third to a top 25 Syracuse team where our starting freshman qb broke his leg. Our defense was attrocious the first half of the year so bad that we fired our DC mid-season and it improved dramatically despite season ending injuries at db and lb. In some games last season we were with one scholarship lb we had to play walk ons and move safeties. Our back up qb who came in for the true freshman was a RS soph he's 6-4 230 they try to compare him to Cam Newton. We won three of four to finish including one over top 15 state and Memphis who should have beaten everybody's world beater UCF
What do you feel is Wake’s weakest position group?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 23rd, 2019, 9:04 pm

I feel like they deserve an equally thought out reply:

Ahem...

“Is mayonnaise an instrument?”

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » July 23rd, 2019, 9:08 pm

USU78 wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 4:25 pm
Yes, we know what they're saying. But how they sound as they're saying is an issue. "Assolated":

One of my favorite memories with accents was driving through the middle of the Tennessee countryside last fall and listening to a radio talk show about things that people were selling. It was one of the best laughs I've ever had.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 23rd, 2019, 9:49 pm

For Wake fans reading this — USU is gonna ROLL Wake. :rock:

Just kidding. Some of the comments on that board are pretty funny, and I can’t really comprehend how any objective fan of either school could rationally expect anything other than a really close game.

Totally possible that Wake trucks us or vice versa, as every season and team dynamic is different, but based on preseason prognostications, it’s a pick ‘em type game that neither team should be comfortable with.

My gut — I personally think Wake will win by 7 to 14 points due to home field advantage and having slightly better overall talent.

We’ll go on to win 7 or 8 games this season and will never play Wake Forest again in my lifetime, so who really cares in the grand scheme of things. :lol:
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieBlues

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » July 24th, 2019, 12:02 am

It's telling that Wake is so often referred to as a "P5" program by USU fans while USU is not so often referred to as "G5" program by Wake fans, at least to my knowledge.

I think this is the reason: beating a "P5" program sounds better than beating "Wake Forrest," and beating "Utah State" sounds better than beating a "G5" program.

Of course, most USU fans would trade for P5 status if it were possible.

Wannabe

jamesda3asu

Post by jamesda3asu » July 24th, 2019, 7:55 am

sambonethegreat wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 7:10 pm
jamesda3asu wrote:2 of our losses were to Clemson and ND both of which where k. The playoff one a National Champion. A third to a top 25 Syracuse team where our starting freshman qb broke his leg. Our defense was attrocious the first half of the year so bad that we fired our DC mid-season and it improved dramatically despite season ending injuries at db and lb. In some games last season we were with one scholarship lb we had to play walk ons and move safeties. Our back up qb who came in for the true freshman was a RS soph he's 6-4 230 they try to compare him to Cam Newton. We won three of four to finish including one over top 15 state and Memphis who should have beaten everybody's world beater UCF

Our biggest unknowns right now are the middle of the dline, db.and lb depth. In our spring game it looked like we had 60 guys on offense and only 20 on defense. A few freshman will have to play and step up in the two deep. we've already lost our number 2 lb for the year in spring.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 24th, 2019, 8:23 am

jamesda3asu wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 7:55 am
sambonethegreat wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 7:10 pm

Our biggest unknowns right now are the middle of the dline, db.and lb depth. In our spring game it looked like we had 60 guys on offense and only 20 on defense. A few freshman will have to play and step up in the two deep. we've already lost our number 2 lb for the year in spring.
Which position group of your starters is the weakest?

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » July 24th, 2019, 10:52 am

I've watched some film on WF. Here are some of my thoughts.

- Their receivers are good. Even with Greg Dortch (their best receiver) going to the NFL, they still have a solid group. It will be a fun match up with our DB's.
-They have 2 experienced qb's. Neither are great, but both can play well enough to win close games.
-Their running back Carney is a tough runner. Reminds me a lot of Cole Fagan from Airforce last year.
-Their defense was mediocre at best last year, and they had a fair amount of seniors graduate last year.

My prediction is that if USU can establish the game and get a good pass rush, we will win by 2 TD's. 34-20 USU. :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyAggieBluesaggies22

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 25th, 2019, 3:01 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 3:49 pm
slcagg wrote:
jamesda3asu wrote:

I think this guy may be Frank Allison posing as a Wake Forest fan . . .

jamesda3asu

Post by jamesda3asu » July 26th, 2019, 12:27 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 10:52 am

- Their receivers are good. Even with Greg Dortch (their best receiver) going to the NFL, they still have a solid group. It will be a fun match up with our DB's.
-They have 2 experienced qb's. Neither are great, but both can play well enough to win close games.
-Their running back Carney is a tough runner. Reminds me a lot of Cole Fagan from Airforce last year.
-Their defense was mediocre at best last year, and they had a fair amount of seniors graduate last year.

My prediction is that if USU can establish the game and get a good pass rush, we will win by 2 TD's. 34-20 USU. :utah: :state:
Again we played with half our scholarship players on D injured. We fired our d coordinator mid-season and looked much much better the second half of the season. Memphis offense average 600+ a game last year. Sam Hartman was a freshman qb that had a trial by fire starting game one we went into the season with no QBs with game experience. He broke his leg during the Syracuse game and rs soph Jamie Newman took over. Watch Clips of the Duke, NC State, and Memphis games to get a fair read of what he and our team will look like.

As for our starters we did lose two DTs one good one average and do not have a lot of experience there. We replace a cb and s really. But the interior line will be the biggest concern. Memphis was either number one or two in rushing last year's with two backs over 1000yds and another at 800 I believe.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 26th, 2019, 5:45 am

Obviously these rankings are typically not correct but wake is predicted to be the 6th team in their division of 7 teams.

Btw look at bronco mendenhall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... nship/amp/

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » July 26th, 2019, 8:35 am

The zoobs are kicking themselves for letting him go. Lol

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 26th, 2019, 8:43 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 8:35 am
The zoobs are kicking themselves for letting him go. Lol
My favorite thing is how they all wanted him gone and drove him out of town but now they are adamant that they loved him and he left on them.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 26th, 2019, 9:35 am

slcagg wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 5:45 am
Obviously these rankings are typically not correct but wake is predicted to be the 6th team in their division of 7 teams.

The ACC Atlantic division that Wake is in is much tougher than the ACC coastal. If they were in the Coastal they'd probably be picked 4th.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » July 26th, 2019, 9:46 am

jamesda3asu wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 12:27 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 10:52 am

Again we played with half our scholarship players on D injured. We fired our d coordinator mid-season and looked much much better the second half of the season. Memphis offense average 600+ a game last year. Sam Hartman was a freshman qb that had a trial by fire starting game one we went into the season with no QBs with game experience. He broke his leg during the Syracuse game and rs soph Jamie Newman took over. Watch Clips of the Duke, NC State, and Memphis games to get a fair read of what he and our team will look like.

As for our starters we did lose two DTs one good one average and do not have a lot of experience there. We replace a cb and s really. But the interior line will be the biggest concern. Memphis was either number one or two in rushing last year's with two backs over 1000yds and another at 800 I believe.
I watched all three of these games. Expect us to have a comparable rushing attack to what Memphis had last year. Oh and we also had Jordan Love.

jamesda3asu

Post by jamesda3asu » July 29th, 2019, 12:15 am

slcagg wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 5:45 am

They pick us 6th or 7th every year. We could have Clemson's roster and they would. We have one of the smallest fan bases in all fbs they will play to the money. They pick a UNC team with a new coach who went 2-9 last year to have a big year they open with South Carolina, Miami, US, App St., And Clemson

jamesda3asu

Post by jamesda3asu » July 29th, 2019, 12:17 am

This is what I was trying to say about our D before and after firing our DC last year

Locked Previous topicNext topic