DEFENSE!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

DEFENSE!

Post by ViAggie » August 8th, 2019, 9:54 am

All indications point to our Defense being REALLY good this year, is that an accurate assumption? I think so. :rock:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: DEFENSE!

Post by aggies22 » August 8th, 2019, 10:14 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:54 am
All indications point to our Defense being REALLY good this year, is that an accurate assumption? I think so. :rock:
You are correct good sir!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
ViAggieflying_scotsman2.0HomeTown

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 8th, 2019, 10:17 am

While I agree, our depth is razor thin at LB and Defensive Back. Sure wish we had Jemarcus Ingram and had had a healthy Baron Gajkowski in the mix. I'm not sure the severity of Maika Magalei's injury, though he is currently on crutches and in a boot.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
aggies22ViAggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 8th, 2019, 10:21 am

Andersen is a defensive coach. I expect us to be solid. Expecting immediate impact from D players that Gary brought in this year.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
ViAggie

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 8th, 2019, 10:23 am

You know what helps bring along a thin LB and DB corps? The deepest, most talented DL we have had in forever (perhaps the 1960's-era Aggies were deeper, but these things are beyond my knowledge). Easier to defend against the pass when your DL is getting into the backfield within 2-3 seconds and easier to defend the run when your interior linemen are clogging up running lanes.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
El SapoViAggieIdaAg93

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 8th, 2019, 10:55 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 10:23 am
You know what helps bring along a thin LB and DB corps? The deepest, most talented DL we have had in forever (perhaps the 1960's-era Aggies were deeper, but these things are beyond my knowledge). Easier to defend against the pass when your DL is getting into the backfield within 2-3 seconds and easier to defend the run when your interior linemen are clogging up running lanes.
It's a critical part of our game. Last season we scored quickly. There weren't a lot of clock burning sustained drives. So when we get a couple of scores on the board, the other team is forced into passing situations. At that point, our defense needs to get pressure on the QB in order for us to hold leads.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
ViAggie

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 8th, 2019, 11:05 am

El Sapo wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 10:55 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
It's a critical part of our game. Last season we scored quickly. There weren't a lot of clock burning sustained drives. So when we get a couple of scores on the board, the other team is forced into passing situations. At that point, our defense needs to get pressure on the QB in order for us to hold leads.
I don't think the TOP issue is as bad as some make it out to be. We held the ball for ~27 minutes per game last year. So yeah, we were technically out-possessed by the opponent, on average, but given that we were scoring 1.77 points per minute of possession (as opposed to the .67 points per minute of possession were gave up) I am not too worried. Our strategy last year was pretty simple: we are going to run your first stringers into the ground and see how good your backups are.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 8th, 2019, 11:18 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 11:05 am
El Sapo wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
I don't think the TOP issue is as bad as some make it out to be. We held the ball for ~27 minutes per game last year. So yeah, we were technically out-possessed by the opponent, on average, but given that we were scoring 1.77 points per minute of possession (as opposed to the .67 points per minute of possession were gave up) I am not too worried. Our strategy last year was pretty simple: we are going to run your first stringers into the ground and see how good your backups are.
Time of Possession is a critical success factor, obviously. Playing fast is fine as long as you switch to the "Prevent Offense" early in the 4th quarter once you have a multiple touchdown lead. Then you drain that clock and go for the Time of Possession VICTORY! :rock: Works every time. :cool2:

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Like I said. Brent Guy. Spinning in his frickin' grave!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 8th, 2019, 12:35 pm

treesap32 wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 11:18 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Time of Possession is a critical success factor, obviously. Playing fast is fine as long as you switch to the "Prevent Offense" early in the 4th quarter once you have a multiple touchdown lead. Then you drain that clock and go for the Time of Possession VICTORY! :rock: Works every time. :cool2:
One big reason the Aggies were able to put teams away so quickly in the second quarter last year was the TOs the defense created when the Offense got going. Last year's secondary got burned quite a bit (a lot of times after the game was effectively won other than CSU and MSU) but they consistently made up for it by being one of the country's tops in TOs.

Time of possession is only an important stat in conjunction with the results of those possessions. 3 and outs or your own TOs and losing time of possession is very bad obviously. Quick drives with a couple first downs to win field position and/or TDs or FGs make moot the time of possession argument.

A good running team will try and counter a fast offense by limiting possessions and wearing on the D but as soon as a TO or 2 is created they can't do that because they are playing from behind.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 8th, 2019, 1:50 pm

JMO: I think the defense will be absolutely critical to our success this year as the relatively young offense likely won't be as good as last year's was. Luckily lots of the young offensive players got playing time last year whenever we ran up the score and had a cushion, but we still lost a lot of experience on the offensive side of the team. I don't think we see the success we are all hoping for unless the defense can generate a lot of turnovers and force teams to punt on most drives. If that happens I think the young offense will be fine.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » August 8th, 2019, 2:40 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 1:50 pm
JMO: I think the defense will be absolutely critical to our success this year as the relatively young offense likely won't be as good as last year's was. Luckily lots of the young offensive players got playing time last year whenever we ran up the score and had a cushion, but we still lost a lot of experience on the offensive side of the team. I don't think we see the success we are all hoping for unless the defense can generate a lot of turnovers and force teams to punt on most drives. If that happens I think the young offense will be fine.
I concur.

You know. In case you were actually looking for validation.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 9th, 2019, 12:56 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Our low TOP indicates that our offense isn't on the field long enough to wear out the other teams defense. Like you point out, the advantage is we score during our possessions.

The hurry up we play(ed) works against teams that are weak to begin with, teams that we should beat anyway. It doesn't work as well against the better teams.

I don't credit the hurry up pace for:
OL making great blocks
Love making great throws.
RB's making great runs.
Well thought out game plans
Proper adjustments by our coaching staff.

Love is the answer

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » August 9th, 2019, 1:06 pm

T.O.P. is probably the most annoying and useless stat there is. The only thing that it does it to break up the total 60 mins of the gsme to the two teams. It means nothing. What is more important is how many sustained drives did you have. How many times did you score a touchdown in the redzone or prevent the other team. How many 3 and outs. How many punts? All of those are important. So I could care less that we lost the TOP battle multiple times last year because we won the game and the important categories.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » August 9th, 2019, 1:47 pm

El Sapo wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 12:56 pm
I don't credit the hurry up pace for:
OL making great blocks
Love making great throws.
RB's making great runs.
Well thought out game plans
Proper adjustments by our coaching staff.

Love is the answer
I think the pace has a great deal to do with all of those. OL makes great blocks because the D-Line isn't fully set and doesn't have their own play called half the time. Love makes great throws because DB's haven't had time to read the offense and track receivers. RB's make great runs for similar reasons. The game plan has a lot to do with the hurry up offense. The coaching staff's ability to adjust is that much more impressive with the hurry up running.

I mean, I get your point, but the hurry up style of play is a factor in all those.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
BleedAggieBlue0El Sapo

troutputz

Re: In the words of 4 from Liverpool

Post by troutputz » August 9th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Seriously:LOVE is all we need!

That and WR’s that run 4.1 TE’s that run great routes, catch the ball, and head for paydirt RB’s that run 4.1 catch the ball don’t fumble, WO’s that catch and run 4.0 and score. D ‘s that intercept and run 4.3 and score a lot! CB’s that intercept run 4.2 and score! ML’s that tip the passes and also intercept and run 4.5.......
I really don’t want to much, but in a perfect World why not! You only go around once in life, so you need to grab for the Gusto!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 2):
USU78El Sapo

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 9th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Putz is back. Are your bowels keeping you up late?
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
WAAggie

troutputz

Post by troutputz » August 9th, 2019, 11:36 pm

No, just issues in the morning after I’ve taken my morning meds! That ought to tell me something right there aye?
I do love life, and generally enjoy all people and places. But as my Ole grandpa used to say, don’t get old, it’s not quite as fun, especially if you’ve been keeping company with artho. Ritis that is! Someday a cure!

Locked Previous topicNext topic