LIST: Woodward is #13 on PFF top 50 college players

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

LIST: Woodward is #13 on PFF top 50 college players

Post by Madmartigan » August 8th, 2019, 4:17 pm

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-50 ... s-for-2019

Nice honor for him. A preview "The Highest graded returning linebacker by a long shot, Woodward came into his own in 2018." No word on why no Utes or Cougars made the list. Clearly a big mistake.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
aggies22sneed

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: LIST: Woodward is #13 on PFF top 50 college players

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 8th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:17 pm
https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-50 ... s-for-2019

Nice honor for him. A preview "The Highest graded returning linebacker by a long shot, Woodward came into his own in 2018." No word on why no Utes or Cougars made the list. Clearly a big mistake.
Well that grade would certainly drop if he was tackling players from the conference of champions. This site just lost all credibility. There are no good players outside of the P5.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
aggies22

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » August 8th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Slightly disappointed to not see Jordan Love on the list....especially when Mason Fine (North Texas) and D-eriq King (Houston) were included.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 8th, 2019, 6:05 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 5:47 pm
Slightly disappointed to not see Jordan Love on the list....especially when Mason Fine (North Texas) and D-eriq King (Houston) were included.
Love had a few bad games that likely hurt him overall. Wyoming was abysmal. CSU and even North Texas weren't that great either.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » August 9th, 2019, 8:05 am

I wonder if the SL media will even put him in the top 5 for the 60 in 60.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » August 9th, 2019, 8:49 am

Dwigt wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 8:05 am
I wonder if the SL media will even put him in the top 5 for the 60 in 60.
Buddy, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up 13 or lower in the "Top 60 in 60"

Showing my True Colors since 2022

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » August 9th, 2019, 9:05 am

Really great honor and recognition. I would love to see Woodward go on to have a Wagner-type impact on Sundays. The more Aggies making an impact in the NFL, the better for the Aggie program.

Not sure why the recognition is accompanied by a comparison to other Utah football programs. Until we stand on our own merits without feeling the need to compare ourselves to the other programs completely out of the blue, I'm afraid we will always project an inferiority complex.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
donlarson8

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 9th, 2019, 9:11 am

ChicAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:05 am
Really great honor and recognition. I would love to see Woodward go on to have a Wagner-type impact on Sundays. The more Aggies making an impact in the NFL, the better for the Aggie program.

Not sure why the recognition is accompanied by a comparison to other Utah football programs. Until we stand on our own merits without feeling the need to compare ourselves to the other programs completely out of the blue, I'm afraid we will always project an inferiority complex.
Not an inferiority complex. Merely mentioning that we have a competitive program vs the other programs in state with some top notch talent and that needs to be recognized. More of a sarcastic dig than a serious remark.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 9th, 2019, 9:28 am

Madmartigan wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 6:05 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
Love had a few bad games that likely hurt him overall. Wyoming was abysmal. CSU and even North Texas weren't that great either.
Filthy daikini, didn't Love go have minor knee surgery in the off season because he'd been playing hurt on a bad knee the last third of the season or so? Wouldn't that have been a cause for a reduction in his effectiveness?

Maybe I dreamed this, but I remember pretty clearly talking about this on this board. If only there were a search function!

ETA: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48320&p=557052&hili ... ry#p557052

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 9th, 2019, 10:13 am

USU78 wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:28 am
Madmartigan wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:
Filthy daikini, didn't Love go have minor knee surgery in the off season because he'd been playing hurt on a bad knee the last third of the season or so? Wouldn't that have been a cause for a reduction in his effectiveness?

Maybe I dreamed this, but I remember pretty clearly talking about this on this board. If only there were a search function!

Yeah he was injured, but that doesn't mean PFF is going to adjust their rating system because he was injured. I simply stated he played poorly (which he did) as the reason he wasn't rated higher. I didn't blame Love or say there weren't good reasons he played poorly so I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 9th, 2019, 10:54 am

Madmartigan wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 10:13 am
USU78 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:

Yeah he was injured, but that doesn't mean PFF is going to adjust their rating system because he was injured. I simply stated he played poorly (which he did) as the reason he wasn't rated higher. I didn't blame Love or say there weren't good reasons he played poorly so I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here.
Just providing contextualization, not casting aspersions. Also wondering if anybody has info, beyond him wearing a brace in practice, on how his recovery went and how strong the knee is.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 9th, 2019, 11:14 am

USU78 wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 10:54 am
Madmartigan wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:

Just providing contextualization, not casting aspersions. Also wondering if anybody has info, beyond him wearing a brace in practice, on how his recovery went and how strong the knee is.
Don't ever cast aspersions my way, or you'll feel the fury of my sword you stupid Nelwynn.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 9th, 2019, 12:14 pm

USU78 wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 10:54 am
Madmartigan wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:

I seem to remember it being referenced as a meniscus issue. Maybe that's wrong but if so it explains a lot of those overthrows in those last few games when he wasn't really planting right with that over the top motion. With the exception of Wyoming who really had the Aggies flummoxed with their front 4 pash rush, physical receiver play, and help over the top I think most of the errant throws may have been related to that.

The good thing about Love is he never panicked and still wasn't throwing picks or making bad decisions. He just hit his next shot for the most part. As far as the ranking goes it is what is and if Love can cure the overthrows and progress like he has so far in seeing the D he'll be a first round pick next year provided he stays healthy. He has the arm strength, touch, field vision, quick release, height, and high throwing motion to make him a potential star at the next level who will be hard to pressure.

As far as the passing game goes this year I expect he'll be as good as the Aggies receivers. Even if the O-line isn't up to par most of his throws leave his hand so fast and so high that pressure is difficult and if you bring LBs Love has shown the ability to find the hots, especially his TE and RB. Teams best bets will be a great 4 man front like Wyoming and a physical secondary playing a lot of cover 2 and zone mix Cover 3.

Locked Previous topicNext topic