Beer being sold in more stadiums

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Turtle

Re: Beer being sold in more stadiums

Post by Turtle » August 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 2:22 pm
I'll continue to drink in the parking lot where the beer is cheap and the lines are non-existent. Also- I'd be lying if I said that myself and the fellow alums I attend games with don't regularly take our own beverages into the stadium. Our discretion has improved since we were undergrads, but it has honestly never been that hard to accomplish at Romney/Maverik.
Ever since I was a kid, my dad and I would bring a MASSIVE duffel bag into the stadium, especially during the late-season games, with four blankets, two big thermos (thermi?) of hot chocolate, coats, hats, gloves, and anything else we might need. I always thought it looked a little suspicious, but no one ever batted an eye.

I don't think it would be too hard till sneak a keg into Maverick if someone really wanted to.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » August 16th, 2019, 10:58 pm

We drove up to Boise last month for the Garth Brooks concert on the blue. People were saying that it was the first time alcohol had ever been sold in the stadium. They were charging $10 for an aluminum can of beer that was like 16 ounces. They also had some kind of hard seltzer that was also $10. They must have made a killing on the alcohol sales, it seemed like everyone around us had at least 3 cans each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » August 16th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Turtle wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
I'll continue to drink in the parking lot where the beer is cheap and the lines are non-existent. Also- I'd be lying if I said that myself and the fellow alums I attend games with don't regularly take our own beverages into the stadium. Our discretion has improved since we were undergrads, but it has honestly never been that hard to accomplish at Romney/Maverik.
Ever since I was a kid, my dad and I would bring a MASSIVE duffel bag into the stadium, especially during the late-season games, with four blankets, two big thermos (thermi?) of hot chocolate, coats, hats, gloves, and anything else we might need. I always thought it looked a little suspicious, but no one ever batted an eye.

I don't think it would be too hard till sneak a keg into Maverick if someone really wanted to.
We did the same at WSU until they went clear bag policy last year. Now you can't get anything in. Now we are stuck buying $5 hot chocolate when it is -10F in late November games.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Turtle

Post by Turtle » August 16th, 2019, 11:30 pm

jpswensen wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 10:58 pm
Turtle wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
Snip
Snip
We did the same at WSU until they went clear bag policy last year. Now you can't get anything in. Now we are stuck buying $5 hot chocolate when it is -10F in late November games.
Ugh.. I'm really not going to like this policy change.. We need better ways to sneak stuff in.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » August 17th, 2019, 12:07 am

Might be alone here, but I really hope alcohol never gets sold at USU. Going to other sporting events, seeing people get out of control, being a nuisance and spilling beer all over people, really ruins the environment for other fans who just want to enjoy the game. Keeping alcohol away will help maintain a better environment while keeping people safe on the roads after the games imo.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » August 17th, 2019, 1:17 am

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 12:07 am
Might be alone here, but I really hope alcohol never gets sold at USU. Going to other sporting events, seeing people get out of control, being a nuisance and spilling beer all over people, really ruins the environment for other fans who just want to enjoy the game. Keeping alcohol away will help maintain a better environment while keeping people safe on the roads after the games imo.
+1 Your not alone. Go Aggies!

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 17th, 2019, 8:29 am

Beer in November with snow on the ground seems to be a bit of stretch folks. Is there not some sort of state regulation prohibiting alcohol sales at state owned venues?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 17th, 2019, 8:49 am

I do not think beer and wine sales at USU is going to happen, after all liquor law changes need approval of state government which ask's LDS leaders for their input before making any changes.

I have seen what Wyoming does at their home games which is a great way to handle sales, it controls the amount sold, checks I.D.'s. Has more folks watching for smuggled booze in the stadium.

There is middle ground which controls consumption, and yet allows folks to have freedom to be free of prohibition.

I go to aggie game to get high on USU, I do not like drunk's ruining the game for me they can be a distraction. I have one beer at tailgates, might have one more at the stadium if it was allowed, so it is not a big deal to me. One big distraction at USU games is people that bring their kids, and let them run wild all over the place. Bringing kids is great, but just like liquor sales there needs to be controls. They can also ruin the game. Those people that drink, and those that bring kids need to be responsibility for their behavior
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
donlarson8

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » August 17th, 2019, 10:12 am

First, I don't think the laws will ever change to allow sales at the games.

Second, those that want to drink at the games already do. I myself have used a flask many times at the games. So I don't think it works change the atmosphere there any. I don't think it would create drunk drivers. I'm sure the price of alcohol sold would keep most people in check anyways.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 17th, 2019, 10:26 am

bigblue wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 10:12 am
First, I don't think the laws will ever change to allow sales at the games.

Second, those that want to drink at the games already do. I myself have used a flask many times at the games. So I don't think it works change the atmosphere there any. I don't think it would create drunk drivers. I'm sure the price of alcohol sold would keep most people in check anyways.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The Wyoming example controls the amount, and cuts off sales. Four drink max at $8 per drink with a third quarter cutoff is a smart way to go. with beer and wine sales only.

Wyoming is thrilled with how well it is working they used to do what USU did that was not a good thing up in cowboy country this new system controls consumption, and makes good revenue, a win win for all. We now have all the problems and none of the benefits. Like control and revenue.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
donlarson8Madmartigan

Psych
Has thanked: 0

Post by Psych » August 17th, 2019, 12:31 pm

FWIW - the NC state legislature just approved sales at state universities. Working at a state school I can say each institution takes the topic very seriously and more goes into it than just revenue discussions. Public safety/drunk driving is addressed but it's also something that has some precedent with professional sports so it's not ENTIRELY new territory.
These users thanked the author Psych for the post:
oleblu111

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 17th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Psych wrote:FWIW - the NC state legislature just approved sales at state universities. Working at a state school I can say each institution takes the topic very seriously and more goes into it than just revenue discussions. Public safety/drunk driving is addressed but it's also something that has some precedent with professional sports so it's not ENTIRELY new territory.
Just no Polygamy Porter.

Hail Aggies!

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 17th, 2019, 12:53 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Psych wrote:FWIW - the NC state legislature just approved sales at state universities. Working at a state school I can say each institution takes the topic very seriously and more goes into it than just revenue discussions. Public safety/drunk driving is addressed but it's also something that has some precedent with professional sports so it's not ENTIRELY new territory.
Just no Polygamy Porter.

No provo girl either.

Go Aggies!

bpd

Post by bpd » August 17th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Do the even serve coffee at Maverick? No way beer is coming.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm

bpd wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 12:57 pm
I have had coffee at maverik. It was terrible most likely made by a LDS person that thinks it is a sin, so it was as bad as it gets. It was a sin to drink that garbage.

If beer gets approved at any state schools it will be the flag ship University leading the way. USU is to much BYU lite to take that on. I actually expect the U of U to get that done.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 17th, 2019, 1:59 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm
bpd wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 12:57 pm
I have had coffee at maverik. It was terrible most likely made by a LDS person that thinks it is a sin, so it was as bad as it gets. It was a sin to drink that garbage.

If beer gets approved at any state schools it will be the flag ship University leading the way. USU is to much BYU lite to take that on. I actually expect the U of U to get that done.

I really don't think the law would have to change. UofU got a waiver during the Olympics to sell beer at the stadium only. Why couldn't they issue a similar waiver. Even if USU doesn't want it. It seems like this is a fight that UofU is going to address in the near future.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm

It was terribly crazy in Idaho back in the 70s. Lots of fights in the stands and parking lots. I seen a player out of uniform due to injury break a chair over a Boise fan, who was acting the fool on the track behind ISU’s bench, in Boise.

The most disgusting thing I saw was in Pocatello, where a guy was extremely drunk and hurled all over about 3 rows of people in attendance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 17th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm
It was terribly crazy in Idaho back in the 70s. Lots of fights in the stands and parking lots. I seen a player out of uniform due to injury break a chair over a Boise fan, who was acting the fool on the track behind ISU’s bench, in Boise.

The most disgusting thing I saw was in Pocatello, where a guy was extremely drunk and hurled all over about 3 rows of people in attendance.

I believe that was partly because Idaho does not allow alcohol sales in their stadium so there is no control over consumption so very bad behavior occur's. Prohibition did not work in your example, and if you allow liquor sales with no controls that can be a problem also.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 17th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Worst, messiest, most obscene drunks I've encountered in a stadium were pukes in SLC, bronco fans in Denver, and south end zone boogars in pwovo.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 17th, 2019, 7:02 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm

I believe that was partly because Idaho does not allow alcohol sales in their stadium so there is no control over consumption so very bad behavior occur's. Prohibition did not work in your example, and if you allow liquor sales with no controls that can be a problem also.

True, there were a lot of wineskins brought in. I don’t think it would have made a difference if sales were controlled.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 17th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Don’t drink, don’t care.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » August 17th, 2019, 11:20 pm

USU78 wrote:Worst, messiest, most obscene drunks I've encountered in a stadium were pukes in SLC, bronco fans in Denver, and south end zone boogars in pwovo.
I will never forget the Denver broncos game I went to. The guy next to me in the bathroom was so drunk, instead of going in the urinal that he was standing in front of he was hitting the wall between my urinal and his . I pinched it off and left ASAP, I didn’t want to go home covered in some random drunk guys pee.

These users thanked the author blueblood for the post:
USU78

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 17th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Especially if he had asparagus before the game.

SectionFaggie

Post by SectionFaggie » August 18th, 2019, 12:11 am

oleblu111 wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 8:49 am
I do not think beer and wine sales at USU is going to happen, after all liquor law changes need approval of state government which ask's LDS leaders for their input before making any changes.

I have seen what Wyoming does at their home games which is a great way to handle sales, it controls the amount sold, checks I.D.'s. Has more folks watching for smuggled booze in the stadium.

There is middle ground which controls consumption, and yet allows folks to have freedom to be free of prohibition.

I go to aggie game to get high on USU, I do not like drunk's ruining the game for me they can be a distraction. I have one beer at tailgates, might have one more at the stadium if it was allowed, so it is not a big deal to me. One big distraction at USU games is people that bring their kids, and let them run wild all over the place. Bringing kids is great, but just like liquor sales there needs to be controls. They can also ruin the game. Those people that drink, and those that bring kids need to be responsibility for their behavior
So, you are in favor of stricter possession of minor laws? :)
These users thanked the author SectionFaggie for the post:
oleblu111

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » August 18th, 2019, 7:56 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Margaritas and basically a full bar were sold at UNLV as of 2 years ago and believe me, I would know.

Anybody with half a brain on here knows it SHOULD happen but will NEVER happen.

You are full of Margaritas!
Nice of you to join the conversation Chicago Aggie. That was a fun game, for sure.

Usu0505

Beer being sold in more stadiums

Post by Usu0505 » August 18th, 2019, 8:15 am

The key in my opinion is no re-entry. It’s a lot easier to get too wasted when you have free reign to go to the Parking lot rather than be stuck in the stadium with 10 dollar 3.2 beers.

It would be almost comical how naive some fans of ours are if it wasn’t so sad. Do you close your eyes when walking into the games or something? People are already getting wasted if they want so to say if beer was allowed in the stadium we would have so many more Unruly fans “spilling their beer on people” is ludicrous. If anything, with no rentry, we would have less unruly fans, not more.

These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
oleblu111

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 18th, 2019, 8:59 am

Usu0505 wrote:The key in my opinion is no re-entry. It’s a lot easier to get too wasted when you have free reign to go to the Parking lot rather than be stuck in the stadium with 10 dollar 3.2 beers.

It would be almost comical how naive some fans of ours are if it wasn’t so sad. Do you close your eyes when walking into the games or something? People are already getting wasted if they want so to say if beer was allowed in the stadium we would have so many more Unruly fans “spilling their beer on people” is ludicrous. If anything, with no rentry, we would have less unruly fans, not more.

Most people tailgating are having a few. There aren’t too many people getting wasted and those that are are usually sub 25 and there for the party, not football game.

Hail Aggies!

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » August 18th, 2019, 9:26 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:The key in my opinion is no re-entry. It’s a lot easier to get too wasted when you have free reign to go to the Parking lot rather than be stuck in the stadium with 10 dollar 3.2 beers.

Most people tailgating are having a few. There aren’t too many people getting wasted and those that are are usually sub 25 and there for the party, not football game.

Thanks for proving my point. This would be different from inside the stadium if beer was being sold how? The rentry allows the sub 25 you speak of to go in with whatever and then go back out to have more and refill to go back in. Like I said if beer was sold in the stadium everyone, even the few wanting to get wasted, would be stuck with 3.2 beer unless they wanted to stay in the parking lot.

I’m sure a lot will just take my post and say no beer inside the stadium should be sold and let’s ban rentry as well.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 18th, 2019, 2:50 pm

$10 - $15 is the going rate per cup and stop sales at the start of the 4th quarter.

Anyone pack their gun into the stadium? Just asking because I was at an event in Idaho and you could carry anything you wanted inside the stadium, except your gun.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
oleblu111

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 18th, 2019, 4:59 pm

El Sapo wrote:$10 - $15 is the going rate per cup and stop sales at the start of the 4th quarter.

Anyone pack their gun into the stadium? Just asking because I was at an event in Idaho and you could carry anything you wanted inside the stadium, except your gun.
Stopping sales at the end of 3 does no good, they finish those about halfway through the 4th, just in time for them to kick in at the end. If they seriously want to cut down on drunk drivers cut it off at the half and deny re-entry after halftime.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » August 19th, 2019, 7:58 am

This is Utah, never gonna happen.
These users thanked the author NavyBlue for the post:
SectionFaggie

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 19th, 2019, 8:42 am

Catch a buzz in the parking lot, grab some food during mid quarter time out pr before the game, problems solved.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Hail Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 19th, 2019, 9:28 am

Anyone drinking wine at a football game deserves to be thrown out.

But I'm all for selling beer at football games.
Last edited by Imakeitrain on August 19th, 2019, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » August 19th, 2019, 1:24 pm

I would be all for this extra revenue stream. I think a good landing spot would be start sales at gate opening and cut off at start of 3rd quarter. Most places just limit how many you can buy at once, but Wyoming has limited to a total of 4 per event. There has to be a more efficient way to track how many someone has purchased than the pull tabs at Wyoming. Maybe only sell it in a 16 oz souvenir cup with a barcode/QR on the bottom/side that get's scanned each time it's used, setting it to only be able to be used 4 times in one day or something. $12 for the first beer, then $8-$10 each refill if you bring it back. Or just scan the ID of those purchasing since we already do that to enter bars in Utah.

Side note, I like that Tennessee's policy kick's in for the yBu game.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/c ... 028251001/

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

Utereprobate
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

We need beer at Rice Eccles

Post by Utereprobate » August 19th, 2019, 2:06 pm

This sneaking beer in to throw it on BYU fans is for the birds. Just let us buy it please?

And as for getting drunk... well good luck on 4% beer. You can't drink it and pee it out fast enough to get to 0.05 if you are a normal man (damn the restroom lines are long). People who get drunk at games in the Great State of Utah are using liquor period.

Hope you all have a great season, best of luck to Gary, Siose and the others. go Aggies

Locked Previous topicNext topic